willie

Business posts...

Alright so there are some folk around the place that are simply here for their business interests and don't really contribute to the forum (disclaimer: yep I have a business interest). How do you all think it's best to get them to contribute or how do we deal with them if they don't want to be part of the madness unless is spruiking their products?

In my view a discount code doesn't really cut it (I can do that in about 2mins and post a code, that's basically zero effort) and them piping up every time their product gets mentioned isn't great either (I don't really see that as contributing).

4 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

U talking coaches, who use this site for free advertising? 

Not just coaches. Other business' get mentioned. Said people pop up everytime their business gets mentioned and then disappear. Contributing absolutely zero to the site. 

Aaaaah one of the great conundrums of our time. 

When pushed to “contribute” most will say they gain nothing from this forum, yet they continue to pop up and spruik. 

37 minutes ago, willie said:

Not just coaches. Other business' get mentioned. Said people pop up everytime their business gets mentioned and then disappear. Contributing absolutely zero to the site. 

I've not seen any blatant stuff like this lately but i know there was a coach who used to only pop up to mention his services occasionally? Maybe I'm just dense...

there are a few businesses that have been mentioned here like caden/fusion that have done deals but also got some traffic from here. 

I guess the test would be for you if a 'trannie of high regard' purchased an athlete's foot or gatorade endurance or something and started to cut your grass...could get interesting.?

Edited by pieman

Maybe  dedicated promo room? Like tritrade,  but for businesses. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't think I've seen that much of it of late.

But, if you think you need to do anything give them a custom title of Snake Oil Salesman or something.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Yep something like this then everyone knows who is who, could work well

I don't think it's so much some account comes on and says "Hey, SALE at ours"

More the situation where a post would go up "I'm looking for a coach/bikeshop/holistic healer in area X" that account would say "Check us out at XXXX" and you wouldn't see anything from them until another similar post went up.

I understand the forum isn't going to be the primary focus for most businesses, but I think something like the level of interaction Jase from Infinit has is a good model.

• Like 1

I can't say I've noticed much of any of it.  The only coaches I can think of have generally always been involved.  And as tyno said, Jase, while not a frequent poster, is probably the perfect example for someone to follow if they have a product (as opposed to a service) to sell and want to participate.

I teach in a high school so you all need to get out there and make me more clients...

on second thoughts don't 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, willie said:

Alright so there are some folk around the place that are simply here for their business interests and don't really contribute to the forum (disclaimer: yep I have a business interest). How do you all think it's best to get them to contribute or how do we deal with them if they don't want to be part of the madness unless is spruiking their products?

In my view a discount code doesn't really cut it (I can do that in about 2mins and post a code, that's basically zero effort) and them piping up every time their product gets mentioned isn't great either (I don't really see that as contributing).

Ask me on my Facebook page:whistling:

• Haha 1

I reckon leave it as it is otherwise you end up in a nightmare situation or trying to decide whether somebody contributes "enough".

I haven't seen anything blatant and I think people are smart enough to see through it... the culprits should also be able to see the value in actually contributing in the way that you do Willie as does AP too.

I guess a middle of the road way would be to make it part of the forum rules that everybody has to declare an interest where appropriate. So, if I was commenting on a post about corporate technology training I would make it clear that I have a business interest in that area.

As an aside... if anyone does want any training in digital, data science, cybersecurity or innovation then hit me up ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyno said:

I think something like the level of interaction Jase from Infinit has is a good model.

I actually thought that's who the big W was talking about

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

I actually thought that's who the big W was talking about

Me too 

Pete

1 minute ago, pieman said:

Me too 

Me three.

Pete Mauro was the serial offending coach who would respond to any training type questions “contact me for coaching” and no actual advice. 

5 minutes ago, roxii said:

Pete

Me three.

Pete Mauro was the serial offending coach who would respond to any training type questions “contact me for coaching” and no actual advice. 

Yep that was the coach i was referring to

I didn't drop any names by accident.

Just think you can't be serious if that's the case.

• Like 1

I think Willie's asking a question that pops up in a lot of forums, and is something many of them have to deal with!  Where to find the line between something becoming nothing more than free advertising?

Quite honestly, if they are someone who is a genuine member of the forum I don't really expect to be getting any discounts out of them.  But then, they probably don't go about spruiking their product etc.  But then also, that sort of person would end up looking after the members anyway.

I didn't really start the thread with a specific target, just constantly thinking and sometimes Trannies actually offer some pretty good/advice and opinions. There are a lot of you who are a lot wiser than me and I guess asking before doing something stupid is best. 

Stay tuned for a new "skin" and some changes in the next 6 weeks or so. That'll be enough to upset the masses for a few weeks :P But will also allow us to offer better advertising space and integrate some of the things mentioned in the "what do you want" thread.

22 hours ago, Turts said:

Limit their ability to comment. Only give them Tri Trade posting ability. 

However, in a case like InfinitJase. 

He does pop up when someone has a question on the thread. But he didnt start the one from 2016. And he seems to more just be helpful than self promoting spruiking. 

That kind of interaction is helpful. Genuine answers in a thread they didnt start. 

Jase is a nice guy (working in a really competitive space)

(PS: I don't use any of these products, too old skool (bananas, mars bars and water))

And there's a guy keeps popping up on here trying to sell race gear out of the back of his car.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

And there's a guy keeps popping up on here trying to sell race gear out of the back of his car.

I'm gonna get you that stuff one of these days....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, trifun said:

I'm gonna get you that stuff one of these days....

The way things are going, swim caps are likely to be the only thing I ever get to use again.

Come walk an IM with me.  It'll be fun!

3 minutes ago, goughy said:

Come walk an IM with me.  It'll be fun!

Thinking about it Goughy, thinking about it.

I might just have to wait for the e-bike category to come in, cause it hurts my knee every time I bend my leg, and there's a lot of that in 180km.

Ah that's right, sorry.  I forgot it's cycling for you!

37 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Team entry 

Goughy - Bike 

For it is to laugh!!!

Biking is my worst let by far (actually, my right is my worst leg!!).  I think my walk is still better than my bike!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Thinking about it Goughy, thinking about it.

I might just have to wait for the e-bike category to come in, cause it hurts my knee every time I bend my leg, and there's a lot of that in 180km.

You're lucky you don't swim like me, otherwise you'd be bending your leg there as well! :lol:

7 hours ago, FatPom said:

You're lucky you don't swim like me, otherwise you'd be bending your leg there as well! :lol:

It's one of the reason I like OW swimming so much. Last time I did 10km in the pool my knee was aching from the turns.

• Like 1