MackaEvo2

Flying with bike bag and the changes

Currently Virgin appears to be well ahead allowing passengers to take their bike in any bike bag with a 23kg limit with option to pay for additional weight 

I have a flight booked with Qantas due to depart on October 12th and they are telling me they don't allow bike bags anymore and only allow the use of a cardboard box.

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-info/baggage/sporting-equipment.html?sf93369853=1#bicycles

Has anyone flown with Qantas recently? What was your experience? 

I'm seeing a team from freight tomorrow so I'll ask and see if they can dig out the answer.

However, from my reading it suggests that any bike box is ok:

'You can travel with your own bike box"

I can't see where you're getting cardboard from?

I have been chatting to them on facebook messenger. 

I also share because as triathletes so many of us have integrated bikes which is why we use bike bags that allow us to keep our handlebars on. 
The bike bag like the scicon aero comfort. 

Qantas required the handlebars to be removed as well as the peddles which required tools, a sound knowledge on how to dismantle and refit your bike, also pay excess baggage for the tools.
My scicon bag which is designed for integrated triathlon bikes does not fit Qantas dimensions. 

These strict dimensions are based on boxes no bike bags that are designed for the integrated bikes and those who don't know how to pull apart and reassemble their bike. 

This doesn’t sound right at all. 

You cant tell me 3000 people just flew into the Gold Coast for the itu worlds and this is the first we are hearing of it. 

Not saying you are wrong .....  as I have no proof......  but. ......

Edited by Peter

IT is what Qantas has told me.
We could turn up to the airport and have no problems.

However we could turn up and they say it doesn't fit what is stated on their website and then there is a problem 

Pretty sure this is the same info that has always been posted on their website.

This discussion started in a Facebook group last evening too. Was that you? Consensus there also seemed to be that nothing had changed.

I used a cardboard box on Jetstar with no complaints at check in..... Especially when he charged me with extra luggage 😳😳😬

But aren't we supposed to have intimate knowledge of our bikes?? Taking them apart and knowing what goes where is important... Isn't it?? Or am I old skool? 

• Like 1

I flew Qantas yesterday. No issue with a Scicon Tri bag.

• Like 2

Wasn't the company that do the flights into Kona saying that no more bike bags allowed (with an exception for the Ironman)???

From the qantas site 

Bicycles

To be accepted on Qantas operated services, bicycles must be suitably packed in a bike box. Bike boxes can be purchased from most Australian Qantas terminals. You can travel with your own bike box, however it must not exceed the dimensions below and must be properly and securely packed.

Qantas bike pack dimensions:

• length: 140cm (55in)
  • width: 30cm (12in)
  • height: 80cm (32in).

Before bicycles can be accepted they must be packed with:

• tyres deflated
  • pedals removed
  • handle bars fixed parallel to the frame
  • the front wheel removed and fixed beside the rear wheel, inside the bike box, if the bicycles length exceeds 140cm (55in)

on a on a side note anyone who travels with a scicon bike bag and a carbon TT bike and doesn’t remove the bars is just asking for trouble 

eventually, one Day your bike will come out in more pieces than when you put it down n as the scicon bag offer NO protection to the bars and very very little to the bike 

disclaimer we have traveled with two bikes n two scicon Bike bags for many many trips (over 20) and never had a problem but I pretty much disassembled each Bike , derailed off , bars off , pedals off , seat post out ,bubble wrap everything and then have two layers of foam on each side pockets where the wheels go . Problem with this is it takes me about two hrs a bike and is never fun espually post race 

we are flying quantas today and expect NO problems 

we have also now just retired the scicons and have now got two new velovault  hard boxs  are pretty much the same weight as the scicons and only took me about 20 mins per Bike to pack 

i just weighed em and they are actually lighter than what our scicons are as I didn’t add all the extra protection , win win and far less stress than having to hope and pray that the bike(s) come out safe and well on the other side 

Edited by ironpo

4 minutes ago, goughy said:

Wasn't the company that do the flights into Kona saying that no more bike bags allowed (with an exception for the Ironman)???

We are also flying Hawaii today , one of the reasons we got rid of the scicon bags is that many airlines across the world are refusing to take any soft bike bags due to the hassles of packing and moving them around (as well as the damage claims )

hawain have now soften this stance due to backlash from tourist folk and operators on the big  island , but it will not last 

i have seen one of our bags fall off a baggage handlers trailer one day and they just throw it back on and kept on driving 

very happy with our move to hard cases now , better protection and no extra weight 

8 minutes ago, ironpo said:

We are also flying Hawaii today , one of the reasons we got rid of the scicon bags is that many airlines across the world are refusing to take any soft bike bags due to the hassles of packing and moving them around (as well as the damage claims )

hawain have now soften this stance due to backlash from tourist folk and operators on the big  island , but it will not last 

i have seen one of our bags fall off a baggage handlers trailer one day and they just throw it back on and kept on driving 

very happy with our move to hard cases now , better protection and no extra weight 

No extra weight surprises me, but that's good.

What disassembly is needed for TT bikes?

53 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

I used a cardboard box on Jetstar with no complaints at check in..... Especially when he charged me with extra luggage 😳😳😬

But aren't we supposed to have intimate knowledge of our bikes?? Taking them apart and knowing what goes where is important... Isn't it?? Or am I old skool? 

It’s funny,  I used to race dirt bikes and knew every bit and bolt of my bikes, did full rebuilds of the engines, everything. But now with pushys I don’t know if it’s because I’m lazy or just cos I am time poor but I get the bike shop to even change things like cassettes. 😳

My younger self would be ashamed of my older self and mock me mercilessy

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AA7 said:

No extra weight surprises me, but that's good.

What disassembly is needed for TT bikes?

I our scicons are pretty much 10kgs (claimed to be 9.5) without all the  extra adding I add 

the velovault is 10.7kgs so it’s is 700grams heavier , but far easier t pack (for me) 

you do need to remove the bars , but I was doing that anyways 

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

Correct 

• Thanks 1

2 hrs and lots of stress of the scicon bag hopeing it will be safe 

F289EB64-907B-4CA9-9822-8ECECBB917F1.jpeg

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, more said:

😳

Don't be so hard on yourself... Let us do it for you :P

That's is pretty bad, you can build a bike from parts in about 1.5hrs. Less with Di2. 

• Haha 4

20mins per bike and about as safe as u can get 

nothing is perfect but the hard bike box is as close as u can get 

69171A9B-4C9C-44B6-8D77-DB178DD889EE.jpeg

4B7D8B87-C615-46A2-9A24-F7EC2F0ECAEA.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hello Noahboy ❤️

I think he wants to go to Hawaii too....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, -H- said:

Hello Noahboy ❤️

I think he wants to go to Hawaii too....

Yep 

hes not a happy Chappy 😥

• Sad 1

Like I'd ever fly anywhere..... but if I had to, maybe this as an option??

https://envirobikebox.com.au/

Or hit up a bike shop for an old box??

1 hour ago, more said:

It’s funny,  I used to race dirt bikes and knew every bit and bolt of my bikes, did full rebuilds of the engines, everything. But now with pushys I don’t know if it’s because I’m lazy or just cos I am time poor but I get the bike shop to even change things like cassettes. 😳

Yeah 

That's me. 

Except that I still like to tune and maintain my own bike. Then I know that it's my doing if I have a mechanical problem on the road.*

*and that never happens. #ridegiant 

The only thing I've taken my bike to a bike shop for is to cut down a steerer, and run the brake cable back through it again.  Though I pulled the cabling out before my bike fit as I expected stem changes - he was surprised I went to that much trouble.  Otherwise I've changed, replaced, or fixed most things on my bikes.  Youtube/google has had me sorted.  Bike shop would do it better, but I get by.

• Like 1

I'm booked up with Qantas for Xaimen 70.3 and was planning on travelling with a Scicon bag as usual...

I've just contacted the Qantas Frequent Flyer team to investigate... Their response is below (fingers crossed it's correct!):

Cheers, Alex

"Thanks for your patience. I've checked with my senior and they have advised that you would be able to travel with your bike bag. And ensuring that it is packed properly and securely."

3 hours ago, ironpo said:

You’re back in Australia? I thought you were still walking the ultraman WC marathon. 

Its good to have u back on trannies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Damn straight!

• Thanks 1

I wonder if that Qantas site has been updated since I flew to Brisbane in March.

I packed the bike in a Scicon bag and all was ok. I'm thinking for Worlds in Switzerland that I just take my pedals, shoes and saddle and rent a bike for the race. Not worth carting it for a 40k ride (then having to cart it around after).

• Like 1

I don't think the website has changed. I went to Port Mac and there was no issue with my sci con bike bag which certainly is outside their set dimensions. 
This came about due to this trip being a work trip. The concern is that they can stop us at any point at the airport and say here is what it says on our website. Qantas needs to change their dimensions. Jetstar and Virgin have no issues with any bike bags or boxes 

2 hours ago, MackaEvo2 said:

I don't think the website has changed. I went to Port Mac and there was no issue with my sci con bike bag which certainly is outside their set dimensions. 
This came about due to this trip being a work trip. The concern is that they can stop us at any point at the airport and say here is what it says on our website. Qantas needs to change their dimensions. Jetstar and Virgin have no issues with any bike bags or boxes 

Do Qantas take possession of the bag though?  I have always had it taken by oversize department which I assumed was not qantas/virgin.

3 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Do Qantas take possession of the bag though?  I have always had it taken by oversize department which I assumed was not qantas/virgin.

As soon as you hand over the bag either at check in or at oversized then it goes to the ground handling team. Who that team actually works for is rather complicated (as I have been discovering the more work I do with airlines!).

Plenty of soft bags getting check in at hawain airlines with no hassles 

Didn't they say they were making an exception for the Ironman?

10 hours ago, goughy said:

Yes in October. I had a friend fly out on the 29th Sept and they said no. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MackaEvo2 said:

Well that’s bullsh1t.  

I know 4 guys from geelong gpc that went in September and had no issues. All has soft bags. 

Rene even checked and was told its all good. 

Maybe the same as everything else these days, depends on who you talk to/get on any particular day and their mood.

• Like 1

On 05/10/2018 at 1:07 AM, goughy said:

Yes

but stacks of soft bags flying in today 

nobody asked to show proof that they had entered or are doing the racevlike they said they would have to do so just a beat up by the airline as usual 

22 hours ago, MackaEvo2 said:

So what did your friend do?

On 06/10/2018 at 11:55 PM, ironpo said:

Nobody asked to show proof that they had entered or are doing the racevlike they said they would have to do so just a beat up by the airline as usual 

The last thing you ever want to do is ask a triathlete about Ironman, especially Kona. Multiply that by hundreds of people and there is just not enough time in the world to hear the same boring stories about qualifying and how hot and windy it's going to be :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, willie said:

The last thing you ever want to do is ask a triathlete about Ironman, especially Kona. Multiply that by hundreds of people and there is just not enough time in the world to hear the same boring stories about qualifying and how hot and windy it's going to be :P

No need to ask. The Kona bound will tell them before they have a chance to say "Good Morning, where are we you flying to today" 

Also the "2018 "insert training squad" T-Shirt will also give it away. 

• Like 1