dogmada3

IM Oz Vs IM Nz

G'day all 

Have been training up for IM Busso for the past few months but have unfortunately injured my calf. 

I am now looking ahead to 2019 and contemplating either entering Port Mac or IM NZ. 

What are people's thoughts on the major differences between these races in terms of the swim, bike and run leg? 

I'm a fairly weak cyclist and the bike at IM NZ has me a little worried. 

Any other info/advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers 

12 minutes ago, dogmada3 said:

G'day all 

Have been training up for IM Busso for the past few months but have unfortunately injured my calf. 

I am now looking ahead to 2019 and contemplating either entering Port Mac or IM NZ. 

What are people's thoughts on the major differences between these races in terms of the swim, bike and run leg? 

I'm a fairly weak cyclist and the bike at IM NZ has me a little worried. 

Any other info/advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers 

I have only been cycling for two years and I am nay very good. I did NZ this year and loved it. The bike has some slopes but nothing to worry about, a headwind at some point is a given but it wasn't anything horrible in 2018, 2017 was a bit crazy I hear. 2019 will be my first Port Mac so I can't compare but I have nothing but good things to say about NZ (but doesn't everybody think that about their first?).

I just did South Africa and the road surface was sh!t for the entire 90km. There was no love, even on the downhill sections you had to pedal and I've heard Port is similar. For me I'll take headwind and hills over crappy tarmac. 

No sharks in Taupo, crystal clear water, stunning rolling hills, really nice headwind. dont have to get out and cross a weir.

I heard Port Mac has pot holes

Do one in 19 and the other in 20

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, zed said:

I just did South Africa and the road surface was sh!t for the entire 90km. There was no love, even on the downhill sections you had to pedal and I've heard Port is similar. For me I'll take headwind and hills over crappy tarmac. 

Road surface in Taupo is not amazing either except for the last 6k of each lap which is BEAUT!

Taupo bike course is awesome vs port.  I would go to NZ over port but both have their advantages.

Note I live in Port

• Thanks 1

I enjoyed both races:
Swim: 
NZ - the lake is amazing to swim in crystal clear water, if the wind is blowing it can get pretty wild on the lake, mass start which is not a problem as it's wide enough not to get beaten up. There is a long run to transition from swim exit.
PM:- I enjoyed the swim including the weir crossing which is something different, rolling start which I enjoy, gets very shallow in some sections
Winner - NZ

Ride:
NZ - undulating for the first part out of town but then flat in the valley, road surface mainly country chip mix with not a lot of pot holes from memory, wind can get up on the second lap of the bike most often a head wind on the way back to town
PM - worst road surface I've raced on thus far, lots of pot holes and country mix in sections as well
Winner - NZ

Run:
NZ - challenging run course, it doesn't look like it from the profile but it's an undulating run with lots of twists & turns
PM - flat run with one hill, I found it easier than NZ
Winner - PM 

For spectators you can't beat Port Mac especially on the run were they can see you multiple times per lap when running around the Caravan Park. Lots of support from locals at both races but I feel there is a better finish line atmosphere at PM, it was a lousy afternoon/evening in NZ when I did it so that would have reduced the number of people at the finish line.

You can't go wrong with either race.

• Like 1

Done both,

NZ is slightly harder but not that much and isnt Wanaka.  The swim is awesome at Taupo. I'd do it for that alone.... and remember you are swimming in it the days before as well.  NZ still has (check though) a proper IM swim start and is wide so plenty of space if that freaks you.

Port Mac has a better finish line. 

I'd do NZ.

Taupo is awesome and I would do this again in a heartbeat .... if I lived closer. Swim is the best in the world, bike is challenging, but not too hard and the run along the lake is also pretty nice. 

Happy memories. 

Haven't done PM to compare it with, though.

Done both.

NZ

NZ run course its definitely harder than PM. 

NZ had better crowd support on the run course.

Port swim is shit.

• Like 1

Look at us lot. Recommending a race in the skakey isle. 

NZ gets my vote. Even though it pissed rain all day and night in 2011 on race day, I enjoyed the race as best I could. I actually enjoyed the whole trip and that could have been down to the group I travelled with. 

• Like 1

Done both (Taupo x 2, Port Mac x 4), and a kiwi living in Aus

NZ when the weather is poor it is miserable, whole event cancelled twice (2006, 2012), can be cold rain all day. But then again can be nice all day. (This actually sums up NZ in general)

The Taupo swim is a highlight, mass start just after dawn (watch a promo clip for the aerial shots of the start), Roads similar to Port in that it will rattle your bike and yourself, Port bike is more scenic, but nothing stand out in each, elevation gain about the same

Run Taupo is 3 laps, finish in daylight, constant undulations, but no hills, can be exposed if weather is not favorable. Port run is mainly flat with one climb each lap.

My times were slightly faster at Taupo.

If taking family i would choose Taupo as more for them to do (if into outdoors).

My preference is Taupo, because it has more old school feel/experience;  carbo dinner/welcome, mass swim start, after party, whole town is into race. But there is the higher chance of the weather being crap.

And a special NZ treat is private rd which used to be live tar seal parva, and if wet the cow shit that comes of the road all over you

• Like 1

Which Tranny is it that always brings the bad luck to IM NZ?  Make sure they aren't going before you book it in

11 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Which Tranny is it that always brings the bad luck to IM NZ?  Make sure they aren't going before you book it in

That’d be Steely.

I’ve done Port x5 and Taupo x3. 

Its 3-0 to Taupo but it’s still my favorite in the ANZ region. Best swim in the world. Last mass start still available. The support on the run is every where. The whole town is out there.

Did NZ this year, but not port (2020 I am thinking)

The bike is easier than people say, I did it this year with my heaviest starting weight for an IM, and limited long bike training, it was no where near as bad as what I was expecting. The course is lovely, the swim was great, the bike is nice, it varies and the surface is more than adequate. The support through town on the run is very cool as well. 

Have done a few at both locations and anyone who asks the question you have asked gets this answer

NEW ZEALAND