Jump to content
Peter

Ironman cancels another swim

Recommended Posts

Is it just because there are more races now, bad luck or just over worried about risk with so many swims being cancelled?

 

 

821A6DF1-CB7F-4B72-B1D9-2D8094234CCA.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems a legit stack of reasons. 

 

Very high water, much higher flow/current, very high pollution levels.......  

when the've had storms and are spilling the weir, things can get very dicey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This and then busso cancelled due to shark sightings... Ironman is no longer triathlon. Duathlon for the win. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds a reasonable decision to me.

Even putting aside the water quality issues, an additional metre of water depth is a lot of water volume in a river as broad as the Tennessee, so the resulting large increases in current and debris are not surprising.

I swam in the Tennessee River in the Double Iron Triathlon in Alabama, a couple of hundred km downstream of Chattanooga. The river was relatively high from recent rains making for a strong current on the downstream swim. I would imagine that was fairly tame compared to what they're now describing in Chattanooga. At least we each had our own canoe and paddler.

Edited by Paul Every

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they cancel the swim in Busso this year and athletes chose to not start, is their entry transferable? 🤔🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I’d honestly do the swim the next day just to work out what my time would have actually been. Sure no feet to get on but still better than a dumb bike run. 

its not even a triathlon 

Edited by Peter
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Peter said:

I think I’d honestly do the swim the next day just to work out what my time would have actually been. Sure no feet to get on but still better than a dumb bike run. 

its not even a triathlon 

Which also means you could swim around the peir instead, get the 'real' swim course back...

(hmm...  maybe that needs to be a prelude to the beer mile?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was watching Busso last year and because there was no swim a lot of people lost sight of their "pacing plan" - they were going out on the bike like it was a 20km bike - an awful lot paid the price later🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pro paul Ambrose suggested on Instagram that they should take all the professionals to a pool and make them swim 3.8k so they can start the bike with correct handicaps. 

I actully like his idea. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, AP - "ironman legend" said:

I was watching Busso last year and because there was no swim a lot of people lost sight of their "pacing plan" - they were going out on the bike like it was a 20km bike - an awful lot paid the price later🙄

Yeah, I have thought about this today. 

 

How would you pace it if it were a R/B/R (Not Run Brett Run) 

 

I would do the first run at or below Basic Endurance effort, then bike and 2nd run the same as planned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Peter said:

Pro paul Ambrose suggested on Instagram that they should take all the professionals to a pool and make them swim 3.8k so they can start the bike with correct handicaps. 

I actully like his idea. 

:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This part of the USA has been hammered by weather over the last few weeks. 

The current in Chattanooga last year made it difficult for ppl to hit the swim exit. It would have been mayhem this year with people being washed down stream.

This is the right decision. 

A couple of guys racing Maryland are driving over night to Chattanooga & racing back to back events. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I noticed a rival race I giving an discounted entry to folk whose races have been affected. 

Neat little way to get new punters 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Gezzus back in the day Ironman would have got everybody to still do the swim but put it on swimming up stream ... lot harder back then 😂😂

lot harder back then in the old old days....I dont remember the old old days but I do remember the old days when Ironmans actually had a swim.... lol

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

lot harder back then in the old old days....I dont remember the old old days but I do remember the old days when Ironmans actually had a swim.... lol

I remember it like it was only 21 days ago :lol:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

I do remember the old days when Ironmans actually had a swim....

Most people in Australia or around the world would remember that, and they had the surf ski, board, and some soft sand running......  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Challenge press the soft c&@k button as much as WTC when it comes to adverse swim conditions? 

What are the odds the swim will be canned in Hawaii if the swell is bigger than a ripple? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Greyman said:

What are the odds the swim will be canned in Hawaii if the swell is bigger than a ripple? 

Very high. Ironman is very risk averse, if one event has issues it can impact insurance etc for the next. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Does Challenge press the soft c&@k button as much as WTC when it comes to adverse swim conditions? 

What are the odds the swim will be canned in Hawaii if the swell is bigger than a ripple? 

Never 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Does Challenge press the soft c&@k button as much as WTC when it comes to adverse swim conditions? 

What are the odds the swim will be canned in Hawaii if the swell is bigger than a ripple? 

There was real surf along the foreshore of Kona the year I went, about 2 weeks before the race when I got there. A hurricane had been through and there was still a real big swell. If it had been 2 weeks later, it would have been chaos for a lot of the swimmers. I suppose these days it wouldn't have been on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Theres a few folks technically DNFs, as they cut the race cutoff back by the swim cutoff.

Ie, they took 2:20 off the normal 16:30 race time limit. 

That is a bit unfair to me. I mean, how my people would take that long in the swim? Even normal BOP ers would have at least a 45min buffer off that.

(I can talk. I'm one of them). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if more thought should be put into having a backup plan when the normal swim can't happen. It happens pretty regularly at Gundy but they still manage to put on a proper race. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because they have another option to get 300ish people into a swim, and their swim is half the distance! Would the Gundy option handle 1500 swimmers doing near 4k?  Not everywhere has a 2nd suitable option for that long a swim for that many people?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, goughy said:

Because they have another option to get 300ish people into a swim, and their swim is half the distance! Would the Gundy option handle 1500 swimmers doing near 4k?  Not everywhere has a 2nd suitable option for that long a swim for that many people?

Agreed but I wonder if they even consider looking at a plan B or more likely it's easier to not bother and just cancel the swim altogether.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Turts said:

Theres a few folks technically DNFs, as they cut the race cutoff back by the swim cutoff.

Ie, they took 2:20 off the normal 16:30 race time limit.

It makes perfect sense if there is no swim replacement that the overall limit would be the normal limit minus the swim limit.

There are people who miss the swim limit at races.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyno said:

It makes perfect sense if there is no swim replacement that the overall limit would be the normal limit minus the swim limit.

There are people who miss the swim limit at races.

Yeah I can see the sense in it. 

But the likelihood of being at the 2:20 end of the swim spectrum is low. But more lkely to be at he right end of the bike and run, and working with banking an hour from the swim. 

Just a few folks posting they missed by only minutes , with past swim times that would have had them in comfortably. 

But the organizers had to pick a number. 

And you should be fresher for the bike and run with no swim. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Turts said:

Just a few folks posting they missed by only minutes

Situationally adjusted: Sub 10:40 or you're nothing :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyno said:

It makes perfect sense if there is no swim replacement that the overall limit would be the normal limit minus the swim limit.

There are people who miss the swim limit at races.

I could easily miss the 17hrs, but no way I'm swimming longer than 1:20, especially if it's wetsuit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ironman Taiwan today has shortened the swim to 400m !!!! as strong winds

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Agree...... but still........ it’s not good. Ironman need to find better races course based on good swim course which isn’t too badly affect by wind and the associated storms that often comes with it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronmanFoz said:

 Agree...... but still........ it’s not good. Ironman need to find better races course based on good swim course which isn’t too badly affect by wind and the associated storms that often comes with it.

We all knew melbourne could be screwed on the wrong wind direction. Took 2 years to be proven right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Youngy2 said:

Ironman Taiwan today has shortened the swim to 400m !!!! as strong winds

Good they managed some contingency plan.

How bad was the wind? And the water? Was the amended swim more sheltered?

I had a swim cancelled in Japan last year due to typhoon passing through. Still managed a couple of 400 metre training swims in the harbour protected by two rows of breakwalls.

It's hard to know the right call without being there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×