prizna

If you've done a 13 hour Ironman tell me why.

This a safe place until some ****wit goes and ruins it. 

If you've done an Ironman and it took you more than 13 hours tell me why you think it took longer than 13.

Because I am very slow, don’t love pain, didn’t train very hard or as effectively as I could have. 

I sucked. It was Nice (as in the place). I stopped for cheese and wine, 3 times. I got cramps all over on the bike. I sucked. 

I've done two

The first was because my rear derailleur snapped off with 70km to go on the bike

The second was because I also didn't train enough

LIFE.

I would rather cross the line & kiss my wife & daughter in 13+ hours. Then cross the line in 11hrs & Head back to an empty hotel room. 

For Ironman Maryland, I missed training sessions & slept in. i cut training sessions short but I never missed a second of my daughters netball, horse riding, run training, volunteered at her school musical, helped out netball training.  

I would lay in bed talking with my wife for hours some days before I would go training.

i also started & completed a diploma this year. Not to mention work commitments & trying to get promoted. I currently have three offers on the table & I’m trying to decide which to take.

i will take all of these things over a sub13 ironman any day of the week. 

• Like 3

This is like a coffee thread for me.

never had one can’t comment :lol:

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Katz said:

Because I am very slow, don’t love pain, didn’t train very hard or as effectively as I could have. 

Ditto. And I've done 6.

Except for my first which was just a clusterf****  of bein sick and asthmatic. 

My PB is 13:xx and I've thoroughly enjoyed every one. Stopped to talk to people, thank vollies, have chats, support others, and soak up the event. 

But then, I wasnt training to go any faster. 

Edited by Turts

I still hope to have one in my future!  Sub 10 is for wimps!  13+ is where it's at (disclaimer: I'm talking out my arse)

My race report on why

The crux is that i had the desire/goal/motivation to finish. Not the motivation to drive myself as hard as possible in training and the race.

I was happy to finish and enjoy the day, got more satisfaction out of the 13.xx finish than most of the faster ones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Plus, this arbitrary 13 hr thing means nothing to me. 

Finishing and enjoying the training and the event do. 

• Like 1

So I take it that the implication here (as a disclaimer, my wife reminds me I miss social cues from time to time) is that a time in excess of 13 hours would typically mean you toed the start line under-prepared, had a problem on course (eg mechanical), etc.

Which leads me to wonder if a competitor under 60 can KQ in a 15:xx time, isn’t that a comparatively easy AG?

1 hour ago, roxii said:

This is like a coffee thread for me.

never had one can’t comment :lol:

You did forster. That course was easier

than busso. Even i did a 12.05 on no training. 

Ive done more than 13 a few times. Always been nutrition fark ups. 

14:57 @ Forster. Five flat tyres and then a busted front wheelas well. Sat in the gutter for about 10 minutes contemplating life @ the 80 km mark. Also blew my knee and had to cycle 100 kms with basically one leg. Walked up one hill as I couldn't push up it with one leg. Then ran the flats but had to walk the uphills and downhills because of the knee.

FM

• Sad 1

I'm 2 for 2.

13:13 first up - I thought I trained a lot, but in hindsight, I didn't.

I was on target out of the swim - slower on the bike - cramped up continually on the "run".

15:xx 2nd up - trained even less, contemplated pulling out on the bike, several times. Walked 40 kms.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, trilobite said:

So I take it that the implication here (as a disclaimer, my wife reminds me I miss social cues from time to time) is that a time in excess of 13 hours would typically mean you toed the start line under-prepared, 

Note sure what under prepared is!, this is a honest question. If you want to see my preparation/build look for the similar picture of Rory on the trannies strava page.

If i look at my training diaries my build up to PM 2018 was not that different to my build up to PM 2009. One was under 13 hr, the other over. The biggest two changes is 10 years older and a broken hip between the two. Similar weight, similar training, etc

Edited by rory-dognz
added in some clarity

The whole 13 hour thing is a time made up for MOP’s to feel elite.

My times have varied from AG win to 13 hrs, my effort I was most proud of was 13 hrs because I had to battle to finish.

My wife trained really well for 15 hrs a week over 4 months, she would have finished in 13.5 hrs in a perfect race and finished after a real battle in 14.5. Again, I was really proud of her. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I did about 13:15 as guide for a friend with Cerebral Palsy. I was trying to get him under 13 to make the magical Trannies time but we faded a bit in the second half of the run. 

It was an awesome way to spend 13:15 though. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, prizna said:

If you've done an Ironman and it took you more than 13 hours tell me why you think it took longer than 13.

What percentage over 13 at Kona?

I broke my wrist and couldnt train.  I finished and that made me realise you didnt have to train to finish an ironman. 

Did one or two more without training, and just found it to hard to keep doing them without training, but couldnt be bothered to train as it seemed like such a waste of time to train once I realised you didnt need to train to finish.  catch 22.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, prizna said:

Tell us your IM times and why they were what they were?

Edited by FatPom

2 hours ago, Flanman said:

14:57 @ Forster. Five flat tyres and then a busted front wheelas well. Sat in the gutter for about 10 minutes contemplating life @ the 80 km mark. Also blew my knee and had to cycle 100 kms with basically one leg. Walked up one hill as I couldn't push up it with one leg. Then ran the flats but had to walk the uphills and downhills because of the knee.

FM

I'm stunned, what caused 5 flats? surely you must have had to bum some tubes, I'd just carry 2 in an IM

2002 forster

Doctors told me leading into it i needed ankle surgery...

I was way under done generally..

Did what i could and finished...

2005 forster 11.45 touch quicker...

Still haven't had the ankle surgery 🤣

2 of them....

1) 2003 IMNZ (01:02:35 + 03:06 + 05:33:27 + 01:35 + 07:11:48 = 13:52:29) - Good swim, to-plan bike and started the run strong, looking at a 3:50 - 4:00 Marathon. About 10km into the run I started to vomit uncontrollably and my sweat rate increased. More vomiting. Squits. Couldn't take in fluids or solids. Sat for a bit. Walked a lot. Can't remember the last 6km of the "run" and woke up in medical with a medal around my neck. Sent to hospital as the drip wasn't working. Lost 8Kg throughout the day.

Still managed the after party the next night and only just made the flight home on Monday.

2) 2004 IMOz (01:07:57 + 05:42:22 + 06:34:12 = 13:24:32) - Planned to take the day as I found it. Had changed jobs a couple of weeks earlier and training was hampered with work and life stuff. Good non-wetsuit swim, cruisy bike and wanted to hold it together for a 3:50ish run (which I felt I was capable of). Wheels fell off soon after T2. A few spews, but just couldn't get motivated. Was tired and trying to race an IM when tired isn't wise. Got it done.

Split with the GF a couple of weeks later .... came home to find she had moved everything out and I never heard from her again. 

• Thanks 1

She wasn't happy with the 13.24 ?

Edited by Merv

5 hours ago, Bored@work said:

LIFE.

I would rather cross the line & kiss my wife & daughter in 13+ hours. Then cross the line in 11hrs & Head back to an empty hotel room. 

I went 14.29 and still went back to an empty hotel room:lol:

Done 7, but only cracked 13 hrs once...

2012 Melbourne (13:52) - Underestimated how much training I needed to do, gut issues for 6 weeks prior to race day

2012 Port Mac (13:36) - 6 Weeks after the first one so wasn't fully recovered

2013 Melbourne (14:48) - Blew out a hip flexor and walked the last 22kms

2014 Melbourne (11:59) - Got this one right

2015 Melbourne (13:57) - Personal issues led to sporadic training, cramping from 4km into the run

2016 Cairns (15:16) - Didn't train consistently, gave up on the run and walked a fair bit once I had established I would make cutoff

2017 Hawaii (13:23) - Took it easy to enjoy the day

To sum it up, my bike strength sucks which compromises the run and I don't do enough training to be anything other than a 12-15 hr finisher.

17 minutes ago, Merv said:

She wasn't happy with the 13.24 ?

There were bigger issues than my time!!!! And I am not apportioning any blame any way in that comment!

Essentially, that year I was trying to train with people way beyond my capabilities (Mitch, Danger etc as part of that Melbourne crew) and it broke me and our relationship. I was doing 55+ hours at work and 20+ in training and I let the relationship slide as triathlon was "more important" (it wasn't and no-one deserves to be neglected / underappreciated the way I did). She had her own faults as well, but I didn't help things along. Hindsight is bloody fantastic in this regard!

The following year I took off and became a TO and regained my passion for the sport. I started to understand what was important in my life and what was a hobby. 

2006 I went to NZ on fire and this was the year that the storm blew through. I watched the start of the race with a coffee scroll in my hand knowing I wouldn't start for another 3 hours. Went to the Boney M concert instead of the Awards Ceremony. 

Moved to the UK in 2007 and haven't done another since. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Rimmer said:

Moved to the UK in 2007 and haven't done another since. 

Well Thomo is coming to Wales next year, so,,,:whistling:

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Oompa Loompa said:

I broke my wrist and couldnt train.  I finished and that made me realise you didnt have to train to finish an ironman. 

Did one or two more without training, and just found it to hard to keep doing them without training, but couldnt be bothered to train as it seemed like such a waste of time to train once I realised you didnt need to train to finish.  catch 22.

This kinda thing shits me a bit. 

The whole "in did it on no training". There has to be more to it. Pretty sure you dont mean you were a couch sittng workaholic when you say no training. 

Some sort of base fitness and capability must have been there.  Plus APs mental strength to suffer 

This gloating shit is kinda annoying. 

Edited by Turts
Rhino typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Any able bodied male under 40 who puts in 17 months of focused training can go under 10.

Ummm. No.  Sub 12, certainly, sub 11 probably. Sub 10 requires either some actual talent or everything to go right in both training and on the day.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Ummm. No.  Sub 12, certainly, sub 11 probably. Sub 10 requires either some actual talent or everything to go right in both training and on the day.

+1 

• Like 2

Any able bodied male under 40 who puts in 17 months of focused training can go under 10.

14 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I suspect the issue is that not everyone is on the same page as to what “focused training” means...

puts in 17 months of focused training

This is no minor thing!  I think this would be much tougher than any im itself!  17 months is a long bloody time.  I had two serious relationships and a rebound in that length of time!

Even I'll admit if I put in 17 months of focused dedicated training for an IM, I'd be disappointed with over 13 hours, and my family would have left me.

• Thanks 1

7 Ironmans, only 1 under 13 (11.53 at IMNZ in 2001)

always reckoned I have a sub 10:30 in me but ... life ... after IMNZ I got married, started my own business and well ... shit happened ... Forster 2005 the last time I had a real shot at another PB but in the lead up damaged that little muscle behind the knee cap that can’t be fixed my Physio - only rest. Then I stupidly changed my nutrition strategy ON THE DAY BEFORE (FFS what an idiot). So, had an average swim - 59 minutes, suffering what can only be described as a panic attack throughout - started in the second line close to the inside bouy - behind a brace of slower swimmer but ahead of another bunch that tried to swim over the top - so 3.8km of kicks to the face and punches to the back of my head. First 80km on the bike was fine - 34kmh at target heart rate, but then noticed bloating (taking double concentration nutrition in a biddon to avoid slowing for special needs. Idiot!) rapidly followed by power fade. Went through 90km in 2:45 but the rest of the day was awful. My IBS issue from the previous year came back by 150km. So stomach cramps for the next 7 hours. Then my left leg packed it in at 175km, so walked and hobble the first 2/3rds of the marathon. Then leg eased, stomach cramps eased, seemed to be able down something more than water (coke) and ran the last 14km to finish in a PW 14:31hrs.

then had disc extrusion accident in December just as I was ramping up for Port MAC the next year and spent the next 3 years in extreme pain with a loss of mobility. Eventually, through epidurals, Physio and luck (extrusion dried out) I got into ocean swims and then back into small triathlons at are 40. However I’ve never been able to get below 89kg since ... in 2013 I did Cairns IM on less than 8hrs power week training and at about 93kg. Put shit on myself all day for a new personal worst time of 15:50hrs. Haven’t done an IM since, but next year I turn 5-0. So ... either Port MAC (ask me at the end of January) or Busso ...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, trilobite said:

I suspect the issue is that not everyone is on the same page as to what “focused training” means...

Ummm. I’ve seen a bunch of very focused, better than average athletes, training with the best coaches and groups going around (Sydney based) fall short.

12 hours ago, Peter said:

You did forster. That course was easier

than busso. Even i did a 12.05 on no training. 

Ive done more than 13 a few times. Always been nutrition fark ups. 

I was doing 10's and 11's at Forster. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Turts said:

What percentage over 13 at Kona?

2017 - ~27.5% of finishers went over 13:00 - not including DNF/DQ

• Thanks 1

I’m the eternal optimist and still believe I have a sub 13:00 in me. But history proves otherwise.

Done 4, all over 13. Lack of consistent training usually the killer. Last IM Was Cairns 2016, dumb pacing (gees I feel great, let’s lift the pace) on run meant I walked a LOT and turned a likely PB into my slowest yet.

9 hours ago, Mike Del said:

I'm stunned, what caused 5 flats? surely you must have had to bum some tubes, I'd just carry 2 in an IM

I had a few problems with flats for about 3 months beforehand. I carried three and borrowed two from the Shimano guys. About two weeks late, I found a tiny tiny slither of metal inside the rim. This  was the culprit. It took me about three months to get over that race emotionally. 2002 was a tough race.

FM 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15:15 (Forster 2002)

13:53 (Port M 2009)

16:01 (Port M 2010)

13.21 (Cairns 2011)

Who cares what the time is.  I am super proud of myself that I got to do one, then come back 7 years later after a major motorbike accident in 2002 (where I should have died) and then did another three (on one home soil) and then 3 ultras (100, 65, 64)

I trained hard and did what I could do on race day - worked on my weakness (bike) and did a PB in 2011.   Not too bad, as I learned to swim and ride a bike in my early 20's - yes - all true.  Every race had challenges, but I over came them, never thought about quitting, just about making cut off for each leg and getting to that finish line.

I made some amazing friends, had amazing times and enjoyed every single minute (well, may not some). 

Edited by skel
  • Like 7

9 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

Mike Honcho can speak with authority on this subject - he has done it - it was simple really when you break it down - he just did everything his coach told him - he believed in the plan - his confidence grew as he worked his way through the "journey" 

He wasn't one of the guys who say they did no training, or little training, he was focused on achieving excellence and he knew that excellence requires consistent work 

And this may come as a surprise to some but he wouldn't have known what his TSS or his TGL or whatever in hell these guys are hooked on - he worked shift work - he trained with the squad when he could - he fitted his training around a busy life 

He is a master of time management - and goal setting 😎

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, skel said:

I made some amazing friends, had amazing times and enjoyed every single minute (well, may not some). 

Lot of Skels story is around here in different places. I think this is part of what’s missing in triathlon a bit of late. Everyone’s busting a nut trying to train like a pro blah blah blah. But basically if you had/have what’s above the rest really doesn’t matter.

I enjoy what I’m doing now at 105kgs and towards the back of the pack. I’ve got more buddies now then I ever did when I was at the pointy end (my current parkrun time is 9+ minutes slower than my 5k road PB). At the end of the day I’ve learnt that I don’t need to be influenced by what others are doing, I’m just enjoying my journey and having lots of fun doing it. 

I will also put it out there that it’s much much harder now then it was when I was fit. The pain is worse, the damage it does to your body is worse and I’m putting it out here and saying it’s harder to be in 15hr shape for IM then it is 10hr shape. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, AP said:

Mike Honcho can speak with authority on this subject - he has done it - it was simple really when you break it down - he just did everything his coach told him - he believed in the plan - his confidence grew as he worked his way through the "journey" 

He wasn't one of the guys who say they did no training, or little training, he was focused on achieving excellence and he knew that excellence requires consistent work 

And this may come as a surprise to some but he wouldn't have known what his TSS or his TGL or whatever in hell these guys are hooked on - he worked shift work - he trained with the squad when he could - he fitted his training around a busy life 

He is a master of time management - and goal setting 😎

.... and like many people who sacrifice a lot in an effort to hit a magic ironman goal he is now long retired. 

• Haha 1

I decided to take up tri in March 2014, did port in 2015. Targeted 13:25. Finished in 13:19. :thumbs_up: 

(Just had to find my race report for the times... its 7600 words! 🤣)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, roxii said:

.... and like many people who sacrifice a lot in an effort to hit a magic ironman goal he is now burnt out by AP - "ironman legend"

ftfy

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, AP - "ironman legend" said:

Mike Honcho can speak with authority on this subject - he has done it ...

Just because one person has done it doesn't mean everyone can

• Thanks 1