prizna

If you've done a 13 hour Ironman tell me why.

2 hours ago, monkie said:

And to be fair compared to most of the population it is. Yes anybody can finish with X months focussed training but the self discipline required to do those months of training is what makes it a champion effort.

Some people are "like wow" with me and I only do Oly. 🤣

The reality is, done of us will just go out and do an oly on a whim, with like little or no training, just for fun.  But it's still a 2.5 to 3 hour event for is.  Which is longer than most of us would run a half mara!  A 70.3 takes longer than we'd do a mara.  It's actually not a minor thing we're doing.  It's just seems like it to us!

I went in to a leadership training course once, and they asked us to mention our greatest sporting achievement. There were 10 of us. The first guy says he's done Port. Then about 2 guys later, another pops up with IMNZ.

I couldn't resist when it got to me. I said my greatest sporting achievement was scoring the winning try in the Brisbane A-grade Touch Football Final. Oh, and I've also done Hawaii. :)  They both deflated a bit then.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, goughy said:

The reality is, done of us will just go out and do an oly on a whim, with like little or no training, just for fun.  But it's still a 2.5 to 3 hour event for is.  Which is longer than most of us would run a half mara!  A 70.3 takes longer than we'd do a mara.  It's actually not a minor thing we're doing.  It's just seems like it to us!

Yep. I have been known to use the phrase "just an Oly" which is objectively a daft thing to say. For a lot of people even running 10k is beyond reach.

But it's not about being "amazing" it's about having fun. (and buying bikes).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Running 10k is just a little beyond my reach at the moment. My long runs are 7k, and I still need to get a massage to loosen it all up.

19 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I went in to a leadership training course once, and they asked us to mention our greatest sporting achievement. There were 10 of us. The first guy says he's done Port. Then about 2 guys later, another pops up with IMNZ.

I couldn't resist when it got to me. I said my greatest sporting achievement was scoring the winning try in the Brisbane A-grade Touch Football Final. Oh, and I've also done Hawaii. :)  They both deflated a bit then.

Again mate, you continue to be my ****ing hero.

20 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Love it 

30 minutes ago, Peter said:

Love it 

What got me though, was 30% of people on this course (all desk jockeys) had done an IM.

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

What got me though, was 30% of people on this course (all desk jockeys) had done an IM.

I’ve done 10 and I’m nothing special. 

You're special to me Peter :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I’ve done 10 and I’m nothing special. 

No, you're special, just like everyone else

I do, but only when I'm walking my dog!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, goughy said:

That’s okay. Dogs can’t read and only care about doing a crap. 

Omg I can't believe I still have to pick up shit in my backyard, she bloody stops so often for one on a walk!

9 hours ago, goughy said:

Omg I can't believe I still have to pick up shit in my backyard, she bloody stops so often for one on a walk!

Sounds like my first Ironman, I think I used every portaloo on the Forster run course.   (Still went sub 12 :lol: )  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, goughy said:

10 hours ago, Peter said:

That’s okay. Dogs can’t read and only care about doing a crap. 

10 hours ago, goughy said:

At least if you're wearing an IM shirt, you don't feel so bad using it to pick the shit up if you run out of bags.

2 bags, if she needs more it's fertiliser!

On 08/10/2018 at 6:11 PM, monkie said:

Yep. I have been known to use the phrase "just an Oly" which is objectively a daft thing to say. For a lot of people even running 10k is beyond reach.

But it's not about being "amazing" it's about having fun. (and buying bikes).

Then again when you point out that to win a major oly ( even in the "slow old men" eg 50+) you will need a 35 min 10 k (at least under 40 to make the top 10)

6 minutes ago, trifun said:

Then again when you point out that to win a major oly ( even in the "slow old men" eg 50+) you will need a 35 min 10 k (at least under 40 to make the top 10)

What races are you looking at?  I thought I would check out some results of these amazing 50+ runners doing 35min 10k's off the bike.  Mooloolaba had 1 sub 40 (39:55 & category win 50-54) Noosa had 0.
i'd consider those the most Major oly races in Australia?

5 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

What races are you looking at?  I thought I would check out some results of these amazing 50+ runners doing 35min 10k's off the bike.  Mooloolaba had 1 sub 40 (39:55 & category win 50-54) Noosa had 0.

Goddamn facts!!!

5 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

O/K I was looking at that little event down the gold coast last month (it did rain at Mool last season and Noosa these days is an experience for most not an event to try and set a PB at)

21 minutes ago, trifun said:

O/K I was looking at that little event down the gold coast last month (it did rain at Mool last season and Noosa these days is an experience for most not an event to try and set a PB at)

The timed portion of the Standard World's run leg was around 700m short. You would need to add almost 3 mins to those split times.

I mention 'timed portion' because there was a fair distance between racking the bike and crossing the timing mat

4 hours ago, trifun said:

Sorry I thought you were talking 10k run not 9k.  My bad.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Sorry I thought you were talking 10k run not 9k.  My bad.

at lest they had a swim....

This thread makes me want to do an IM so badly, just so I can respond to the question with "why not?"

8 minutes ago, goughy said:

This thread makes me want to do an IM so badly, just so I can respond to the question with "why not?"

Can you make it to Busso this year. 

I'd give you my entry. As long as my sponsor OKed it. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Can you make it to Busso this year. 

I'd give you my entry. As long as my sponsor OKed it. 

You got some pre-event nerves FFF?  Dont doubt yourself my man. You could knock an IM over tomorrow .... absolutely!

11 minutes ago, Surfer said:

You got some pre-event nerves FFF?  Dont doubt yourself my man. You could knock an IM over tomorrow .... absolutely!

I have always totally and utterly imploded mentally at events. Like a tsunami of performance anxiety. I'm not afraid of the physical pain or discomfort or death. Just not ready for that headspace. To me, it's worse than death. 

Sorry for the raw response but that's what I feel and it's the truth 

13 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

I have always totally and utterly imploded mentally at events. Like a tsunami of performance anxiety. I'm not afraid of the physical pain or discomfort or death. Just not ready for that headspace. To me, it's worse than death. 

I'll be blunt, its your first IM right? chill out man, relax, do what you can, rock up and rock it on the day..you sound like you are putting way to much pressure on yourself and its affecting you.

Come down and have some fun, I'm really looking forward to meeting you and having a good chat

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm the opposite to you triple f.  The training freaks me, but race day excites me, even under prepared!

Remember, it's not a race.  It's an event which is just a big training day.  Nothing more than that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, goughy said:

If you want to tick the box just do port. 

Do zero training and just show up. 

You wont be fast but youll still be an ironman at the end of the day. 

Ive done 2 Ironmans on no training. Port and Melbourne 

its a better use of time. 

One day.  But I'll train (kinda).

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, goughy said:

One day.  But I'll train (kinda).

Do Busso. That way you don't have to worry about swim training.

• Thanks 1

That's my best leg

12 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Do Busso. That way you don't have to worry about swim training.

4 minutes ago, goughy said:

That's my best leg

Clearly ironman isnt the sport for you then. 

• Haha 1

If only I could find one where they cancel the cycle and run legs!  Any chance of that?  Odds would have to be good!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KieranR said:

I'll be blunt, its your first IM right? chill out man, relax, do what you can, rock up and rock it on the day..you sound like you are putting way to much pressure on yourself and its affecting you.

Come down and have some fun, I'm really looking forward to meeting you and having a good chat

Cheers 

3 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

No apology needed. We are all different. And thats good. 

Is there anything we can do to help ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

If only I could find one where they cancel the cycle and run legs!  Any chance of that?  Odds would have to be good!

NZ

3 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Im sure Matt will have some good advice for you, but my focus in any race is to break it down and it doesn't even have to be distance marks it can be time or even goals for a certain section of the course.  For example in my last race one of my goals was I wouldnt let anyone pass me between the water and entrance to T1.

Im not saying that should be a focus for you but it is good to sit down and consider how you want to race and break it down into a series of small goals or processes, once you get to that goal focus on achieving it and then move on, if you don't achieve it then its gone and focus on the next.  

Its no different from getting up for training in the morning, process one, turn off alarm, process 2 sit up, process 3 put socks on etc 

If you can break it down into manageable goals then you take the focus off the overall daunting picture.

Before you know it the race is done.

• Like 6

I received a pm asking me why I hadn't responded to this thread. Quite simply, it's a stupid question. Everyone has a reason for doing ironman and for 95% of competitors the finish time is just a number at the end of an adventurous journey. 

FFF1077, don't over think it. Just relax and enjoy the experience. John Hellemans used to tell his athletes, "don't think it, just do it!" Nike weren't too happy about him using their slogan. But he was on the money. Less thinking reduces anxiety. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Greyman said:

I received a pm asking me why I hadn't responded to this thread. Quite simply, it's a stupid question. Everyone has a reason for doing ironman and for 95% of competitors the finish time is just a number at the end of an adventurous journey. 

FFF1077, don't over think it. Just relax and enjoy the experience. John Hellemans used to tell his athletes, "don't think it, just do it!" Nike weren't too happy about him using their slogan. But he was on the money. Less thinking reduces anxiety. 

Cheers 

A 25yr Postie veteran said that to me once about delivering the SSM mail out. It was a crazy crazy busy morning and he saw I was panicking and he came over as I was getting ready to leave on delivery and said in a cold calm voice "don't think, do". It was ****ing cool at the time 😎🤘 the rest of the day was methodical and busy but at no time did I feel that panic. Epic support from a guy who rarely had talked to me. 

Good times 😎👌👌

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Greyman said:

Your assumption on why this question was asked is wrong. The idea was to highlight the different angles everyone is coming from and to identify that not everyone values the same things equally.

So you saying it's a stupid question is a stupid statement.....from my perspective.

• Like 2

So, an update on my ironman plans for my 50th year. As it turns out I can’t do Cairns or Busso because of other commitments and at this stage I won’t be ready by Port Mac. So I’m looking for other options; preferably at a cheap and accessible location. Maybe somewhere in Asia. Suggestions please. 

11 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

So, an update on my ironman plans for my 50th year. As it turns out I can’t do Cairns or Busso because of other commitments and at this stage I won’t be ready by Port Mac. So I’m looking for other options; preferably at a cheap and accessible location. Maybe somewhere in Asia. Suggestions please. 

NZ? 

16 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Langkawi

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Langkawi

This I think. It’s still a September race right?