prizna

If you've done a 13 hour Ironman tell me why.

3 hours ago, AP said:

Short lived successes ? One guy improved his IM time from 13.50 to 9.46 on the same course in one year by simply working the plan, the other guy worked towards the goal and won in Hawaii (a feat achieved by less than 30 men in history) - and they had to go on to satisfy you - you are a hard task master - do I satisfy your high standards for backing up by still being in the game after 30yrs 🙄

Come on. Alex lost 50kg. 

That had much more to do with his improvements than your coaching. 

If you got him to kona which you didn’t, you could talk it up however instead you ruined him and he is lost to the sport after he fail to qualify after 3 attempts with you. 

Do the sums for how many youve coached over the years and how many you got to kona. 

Youd be less than 1% success rate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Peter said:

Youd be less than 1% success rate. 

Average Ironman has 50 slots and 1000 competitors?

0.05% of athletes get a spot.

• Haha 1

On 28/09/2018 at 12:58 PM, RunBrettRun said:

I think the reality of the faster guys not struggling is very false, I struggle on a very regular basis and often have internal battles of whether I am good enough to complete a session I can do easily.  If I did 100 sessions in the last 10 weeks leading into an ironman I would suggest at least 10 of those I would have a major struggle with something.

13 hours is irrelevant, no matter what your finish time is, you know if you achieved what you set out to achieve when you clicked enter here on the ironman page.  

I don't think the slow people are belittling the effort that the fast guys/girls. I know i respect the effort that allows you to be the best athlete you can. What I have an issue with is the belittling of the efforts of those of us who do not achieve a arbitrary time.

• Like 1

Peter, you seem to be in an overly argumentative mood of late???

FWIW, if I knew an athlete in QLD who wanted to qualify for Kona, I would definitely include A.P. on the short list of coaches to consider.

9 hours ago, roxii said:

Similarly in hindsight I’m wondering if, not so much the 11 Ironmans but the training for them has expedited my hip issues. Given the choice of backing it off and only doing short stuff and keeping my hip would have been an easy choice had I known. 

I agree with you. My wife makes me go & have a full medical check up every six months no matter what (she also comes with me to get the results, just to make sure I don’t bend the truth)

A few months ago after a training session my skin went all yellow. Seems my kidney levels are screwed from dehydration. I’m now booked in every 8 weeks for blood tests.

Im also going to start getting x/rays on my hips etc just to keep it in check. 

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rob said:

FWIW, if I knew an athlete in QLD who wanted to qualify for Kona, I would definitely include A.P. on the short list of coaches to consider.

I ****ing wouldn't 

4 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

I don't think the slow people are belittling the effort that the fast guys/girls. I know i respect the effort that allows you to be the best athlete you can. What I have an issue with is the belittling of the efforts of those of us who do not achieve a arbitrary time.

Reminds me of the Katey Holmes Marathon in around 5h30m (7m50s pace). She was being praised by all the women's magazines on how great she was. Hamish Blake from Hamish and Andy said "Hang on a minute, 5 and half hours sounds like a pretty crap time. Why is she getting praised so much?". To which Andy replied "As if you could do any better!".

Now at the time Hamish was at least 20kg overweight and I suspect had never done a running race of any distance in his life. Unlike Andy, Hamish has no athletic ability. But it was decided that Hamish would run a Marathon on the Monday (in 3 days time) to try and beat Katey Holmes' time.

Off no training what so ever, an unfit overweight man beat Katey Holmes' time by about 10 minutes. As a result he got on the cover of the Australian Runners World and had calf muscles so sore he could barely walk for a week.

I don't think Hamish had any issue about Katey Holmes' finish time in itself. But he resented that she was getting so much praise. And this from a man who knew nothing about running.

17 minutes ago, Rob said:

Actually not really. But ive been around long enough to call someone out when they are talking bullsh1t on here  

and him claiming alex is bullsh1t 

5 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

I agree with you. My wife makes me go & have a full medical check up every six months no matter what (she also comes with me to get the results, just to make sure I don’t bend the truth)

A few months ago after a training session my skin went all yellow. Seems my kidney levels are screwed from dehydration. I’m now booked in every 8 weeks for blood tests.

Im also going to start getting x/rays on my hips etc just to keep it in check. 

I went on a Trail Running Training Camp up in Marysville a few years ago. Included quite a few people who did Ultra Marathons (100 to 160km). So many stories about all the injuries and physio visits. About how they were having calf's blood injected into them to overcome issues. I asked "Have you ever considered just doing the shorter distances so that your body doesn't fall apart quite so badly". It was like I had just suggested they sacrifice their first born.

The same with Ironman. Personally I prefer to race Half Ironmans. I can see the lure of Ironman, but more as something you might do every 3 or 4 years

3 minutes ago, Peter said:

Actually not really. But ive been around long enough to call someone out when they are talking bullsh1t on here  

and him claiming alex is bullsh1t 

Just wondering.

I barrack for Collingwood, so have been in shit mood since Saturday afternoon

6 hours ago, AP said:

Short lived successes ? One guy improved his IM time from 13.50 to 9.46 on the same course in one year by simply working the plan, the other guy worked towards the goal and won in Hawaii (a feat achieved by less than 30 men in history) - and they had to go on to satisfy you - you are a hard task master - do I satisfy your high standards for backing up by still being in the game after 30yrs 🙄

Sure AP - you walk the talk and have made IM your life passion. I enjoy a variety of race styles and am loathed to give too much of my money to IM - have much more fun supporting indie race organisers and sleep much better without a full IM looming every 6 months. I did 3 x Ironman 70.3s last year - Dubai and Bahrain were relatively cheap for me but the trip to Chattanooga Worlds was a trip I could've done without as an age grouper. Best part of the experience was seeing Chattanooga itself - lovely town. This year and in the near future, IM won't be getting a penny. I'll be back at Alpe d'Huez in 2019 most likely.

You miss my point. Some of us never let ourselves become obese to begin with so chipping minutes off our times is still a great achievement. Improving your times when you start the sport already close to race weight requires exceptional diligence.

As for PJ, during that period, I was under the impression that he was simply doing 'some' sessions with your squad and that you were offering advice. Tell me if I'm wrong but I never thought he was following a daily training plan from you or that you were his 'coach'. As time has gone on it seems that you're happy for people to get the believe that you were his coach during the purple patch of his career.

Edited by The Customer
  • Like 1

I've been away too long. Since when did The Customer and Peter start agreeing with each other so much

• Haha 2

I could be wrong, but sometimes I get the impression that for some guys signing up for Ironman is akin to women signing up for Jenny Craig.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

I could be wrong, but sometimes I get the impression that for some guys signing up for Ironman is akin to women signing up for Jenny Craig.

Why can’t I do both? 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, prizna said:

0.05% of athletes get a spot.

And that's about how many get coached.

20 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

Why can’t I do both? 

You ever tasted Jenny Craig meals ? I’d rather do an Ironman 🤮

1 hour ago, prizna said:

There's probably a 100 or so who genuinely think they might qualify so it's probably closer to 50%. Let's face it, the vast majority of IM competitors are turning up for a finish.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

A lot of IM competitors would be better of signing up for Jenny Craig than a coach.

1 hour ago, rory-dognz said:

You're focusing on the 1%.  I guarantee no one fast or slow cares about anyone else's times.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rob said:

As long as they’re in his squad maybe. 

Apparently he gets a bit busy to respond to online clients. 

Funny seeing as though he’s here so much. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Rob said:

What about Cranky?

12 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

You're focusing on the 1%.  I guarantee no one fast or slow cares about anyone else's times.  

That's so true - we're all so focused on our own race experience that unless someone posts their finish time of xx.xx on a forum - no-one even looks up anyone else's time 

If you do a race and come in at xx.xx - if you're proud of what you've achieved, post it - don't make a whole lot of excuses about why it is what it is - no one cares 😉

Also if you don't want to give WTC any of your money, don't give them any - once again no-one on this side of the world cares what someone on the other side of the world does with their money 😏  

58 minutes ago, AP said:

That's so true - we're all so focused on our own race experience that unless someone posts their finish time of xx.xx on a forum - no-one even looks up anyone else's time 

So true.

You still avoided answering this from TheCustomer

As for PJ, during that period, I was under the impression that he was simply doing 'some' sessions with your squad and that you were offering advice. Tell me if I'm wrong but I never thought he was following a daily training plan from you or that you were his 'coach'. As time has gone on it seems that you're happy for people to get the believe that you were his coach during the purple patch of his career.

For what its worth - I’m aiming to do a 12:59hr Ironman somewhere next year aged 50 on an average of no more than 12 hours per week training in the 14 weeks leading into my 2 week taper before race day.

I’m taking an educated guess in saying that the key for me will be to get down below 85kg and consistently run 3-4hrs in total every week in that training period.   

21 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

For what its worth - I’m aiming to do a 12:59hr Ironman somewhere next year aged 50 on an average of no more than 12 hours per week training in the 14 weeks leading into my 2 week taper before race day.

I’m taking an educated guess in saying that the key for me will be to get down below 85kg and consistently run 3-4hrs in total every week in that training period.   

You can do it! 

I reckon with your swimming ability you'd get down to low 12's or under.

3 minutes ago, nealo said:

You can do it! 

I reckon with your swimming ability you'd get down to low 12's or under.

Work-Life balance for a geriatric says ... maybe not ...

I definitely want to get my swim back and with a TrainerRoad program on the kicker I’m aiming for a 6 hr (busso) to 6:30hr (Port Mac) bike split.

With a consistent 3-4hr per week running program and racing at sub 85kg I’d have some legitimate expectation of a ~5hr marathon. 

So I reckon 12.30 to 12.59 is more reasilsitic.

25 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I definitely want to get my swim back and with a TrainerRoad program on the kicker I’m aiming for a 6 hr (busso) to 6:30hr (Port Mac) bike split.

With a consistent 3-4hr per week running program and racing at sub 85kg I’d have some legitimate expectation of a ~5hr marathon. 

It really depends on what you do between now and the start of your 14 week lead up - like you say the key will be in carting less fat around the course 

Once you're into this age group -

* You shouldn't run two days in a row

* You should focus on run technique more than total distance

* You should start a diet "eating plan" right now, the more fat you cart around with you the more of a handicap you have 

* You should devote one day a week to body maintenance - massage - acupuncture - real easy recovery

* You should work on upper body strength and core strength much more aggressively than before

* You should be "in shape" all year - that's being able to run for 60-90min - bike for 2-3hrs and swim for 2,000m - then it's easy to step up to a goal orientated plan

* You could achieve that goal on an average of 12hrs a week 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, AP said:

It really depends on what you do between now and the start of your 14 week lead up - like you say the key will be in carting less fat around the course 

* You should start a diet "eating plan" right now, the more fat you cart around with you the more of a handicap you have 

* You should devote one day a week to body maintenance - massage - acupuncture - real easy recovery

* You should work on upper body strength and core strength much more aggressively than before

* You should be "in shape" all year - that's being able to run for 60-90min - bike for 2-3hrs and swim for 2,000m - then it's easy to step up to a goal orientated plan

Is worming still important ?  I'm concerned it didnt make the list and as we know, IM is mostly mental.... actually, that's not there either.  

Is this a new list ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Oompa Loompa said:

Is worming still important ?  I'm concerned it didnt make the list and as we know, IM is mostly mental.... actually, that's not there either.  

Is this a new list ?

I think there was something about homeopathy on the joint / muscle soreness thread? 

2 hours ago, AP said:

Other than the second last * (epic fail there already), THAT is pretty much exactly what I plan doing with one possible exception:

My run plan calls for a mid week run on Wednesday with various forms of quality efforts: starting off now at about 35minutes, and building to an hour - each and every Wednesday. Every Friday is meant to be a lighter run of about 40 minutes duration & with a long run every second Sunday.

However, my TrainerRoad plan has every alternative Saturday as a Brick (with a easy aerobic run on Sunday) BUT still keeps in the Friday run: that makes for 4 runs per week and three run days in a row. I’m not going to do that. Instead I’ll either skip the Friday run when I have a Saturday brick OR move the brick to Sunday - especially when I build the run component of the brick up past 45 minutes.

So there could be some weeks where I run on Saturday (small run at the end of a brick) and Sunday, Or I’ll have an aerobic run of around 45 minutes on Friday with a solid brick on the Sunday, but I’m going to play around with each option later this year before committing to one strategy overt the other in the new year.   

4 hours ago, AP said:

WERE YOU PETER JACOBS COACH IN THE LEAD UP TO HIS KONA WIN IN 2012?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Customer said:

WERE YOU PETER JACOBS COACH IN THE LEAD UP TO HIS KONA WIN IN 2012?

Told you he’s avoiding the question. 

He advised him. In other words they chatted from time to time. 

He DIDN’T write him a daily program. 

He didn’t coach him. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Peter said:

He didn’t coach him. 

Yep 

I've had that sort of help from a different coach in the past. 

Not AP 

And not MJK 

I now realise the difference between getting coaching and advice. 

33 minutes ago, Peter said:

He didn’t coach him. 

He ate pies with him after a session at Walloon.

• Thanks 1

I went cycling with Jenson Button in 2009. We then had a couple of beers and I probably gave him some advice. He then went on to win the F1 World Championship. Just sayin' 🙄

• Haha 6

4 hours ago, The Customer said:

I went cycling with Jenson Button in 2009. We then had a couple of beers and I probably gave him some advice. He then went on to win the F1 World Championship. Just sayin' 🙄

Where do I sign up??? LOL 

I could see it happening from being busy with work kids and life, bit still wanting to have the experience. Think that's okay.

If IM happens for me, it'll be on a max 10hrs training/week, max 2 runs/week and they will be 1km repeat type runs for no more than an hour I'd expect.  And one ride per week will be on the MTB cos it's fun...but sort of dangerous.  I've put on about 3-4kgs over my 6yrs out but want to lose a kg or two and race at 64kg.  Strength is much better now due to gym work though.

Step 1 see if I can get through the local race season in one piece (400/20/4.4) races and perhaps the local 'long course'  (800/30/6).

Back in the day I was aiming for a 10:59:59 IM.  13?  Who knows?

• Like 1

Like Roxi, I can't comment on this subject either 😘.

But would do around this time if I ever did another one as less importance to times nowadays and just enjoying the sport 

• Like 2

For me, the time is largely irrelevant. I try and set a realistic goal. What is important is giving my all, at any given time, in a given year, according to my circumstances. Very few people live a linear existence where circumstances don’t change.

Just do what you can, when you can, how you can, the best you can. The rest is just icing :)

• Like 2

My number 1 bit of advice to first timers is “ don’t worry about your finish time” just have fun. Stop & thank your family & friends before u cross the line. Enjoy your day.

I love the regional races with a large number of first timers. 

• Like 7

On 01/10/2018 at 12:58 PM, Andrew #1 said:

This should be a simple task for you I would think. You could probably use 2 of those hours for more family time or gardening time. :)

• Like 1

On 01/10/2018 at 1:26 PM, Andrew #1 said:

And to add - even I get through Port 2-3 years in a row on 1 x 11 km per week and still do 11:50/11:55.

I'll never do an Ironman, even another 70.3 is unlikely (I have to get a runner). 

So you all just finishing is a champion effort in my eyes.

3 hours ago, MissJess said:

So you all just finishing is a champion effort in my eyes.

And to be fair compared to most of the population it is. Yes anybody can finish with X months focussed training but the self discipline required to do those months of training is what makes it a champion effort.

My cousin is a world champion bjj fighter. 

She could not believe my discipline and the amount that has to be done to get through it. She was like WTF??? LOL 

It put it in perspective for me.