prizna

If you've done a 13 hour Ironman tell me why.

44 minutes ago, AP - "ironman legend" said:

Mike Honcho can speak with authority on this subject - he has done it - it was simple really when you break it down - he just did everything his coach told him - he believed in the plan - his confidence grew as he worked his way through the "journey" 

He wasn't one of the guys who say they did no training, or little training, he was focused on achieving excellence and he knew that excellence requires consistent work 

And this may come as a surprise to some but he wouldn't have known what his TSS or his TGL or whatever in hell these guys are hooked on - he worked shift work - he trained with the squad when he could - he fitted his training around a busy life 

He is a master of time management - and goal setting 😎

And now....? 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, AP - "ironman legend" said:

He is a master of time management - and goal setting 😎

N=1

Dont get too hung up on it.  It doesn't make you a outstandibg individual, that requires more effort.

Edited by Merv
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Merv said:

Dont get too hung up on it.  It doesn't make you a outstandibg individual, that requires more effort.

Exactly. 

7 Races, fastest 13:55 (Busso 2014)

First was simply just under trained with no base. But having a chat with Coffs Pete and Dave Orlowski about 5km into the run was awesome.  And when I say under trained, I ran my first ever 5km run (in 29mins) 5 months AFTER I had finished my first ironman. 16:01 - Melb 2013.

Fastest race was Busso 2014, about 5 months of coaching from FitnessBuddy, Never knew how hard training for a flat race was when you only have hills around. Needed more trainer work, knee started giving me issues halfway through the bike, ended up lopsided throughout the run.

Should have been faster in Melbourne 4 months later, but a kick to the head in the swim equaled concussion. That sort of broke up any balance of a race plan. (I forgot to eat/drink for the second half of the bike, it just didn't seem to be important at the time, concussion is weird, took me three days to work out what had happened)

I think overall it comes down to a lack of real base (starting to get there, took a chip off my femur last year, took six months off, then crashed a few months once back on, still managed NZ this year in 15:10ish, at my heaviest starting weight for a race) And just having some weird working hours (It is not unknown to expect a quiet week at work, and then end up working 8am->10pm for 5days and get told something else needs work, and that I have another 15hours over the weekend to do.) I think my poor sleeping habits also don't help.

But as others have said. Would prefer to finish in 13+ and have someone to come home to, than finish in 10h and be lonely.

Seriously underestimated how much bike training I needed to do, despite the training plan. Focused too much on training the swim, got through that easy. Suffered on the bike getting around the mountainous Port Mac course. Couldn’t run - wouldn’t have mattered how much run training I’d done.  

Also poor decisions in the race week -  stayed with a giant douche. 

17 hours ago, prizna said:

This a safe place until some ****wit goes and ruins it. 

Page 2 is a solid effort. 🤣

Edited by Tyno
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, goughy said:

This is no minor thing!  I think this would be much tougher than any im itself!  17 months is a long bloody time.  I had two serious relationships and a rebound in that length of time!

With 17 months of hard training you could have upped that to 3 relationships and two rebounds.

Underachiever. <_<

• Like 1

I've been on both sides of the coin. Several finishes over 13 and several under 10.

I've finished IM when sick with flu, I've walked the entire marathon relatively comfortably with a stress fracture, I've blown up atrociously on an unforgiving hot and windy day in Kona, I've staggered and fallen over while feeling crap 1 km from finish on a slow day at Port, only to discover later that I'd been training and racing with a developing intestinal infection after an appendectomy.

I've gone into IM with no swim or bike training, just weeks after running long ultras which were my A races.

After 29 years of running high mileage, in the last 5 years I have run and cycled sparingly to preserve a deteriorating knee and allowing me to enjoy a wide variety of sports (including IM) on a more participatory level.

Some of these slow races have been over 13, some probably not. I don't remember times for poor performances, those days when the finish line was a primary imperative.

This year at Port, I think I was over 13 too. After spending 2017 not running or cycling to enable me train and fatten up for ocean swimming, I never felt motivated to return to running or cycling for Port.

For me, although IM has been a constant in my life for over 30 years, it hasn't always been a singular focus or a high priority.

• Like 2

Have done 5 all 14 hours +.I am not that good tbh, but just enjoy the training and the challenge on the day.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, The new guy said:

I trained my arse off from 15-25 hours a week and did a 12.50.

It wasnt and ideal day but -  Some people just aren't that fast.

I find this very intriguing. Can you elaborate?

For how long did you average 15-25 hours for prior to the race? What was a generic make up of the week? How far from ideal was the day?

1 hour ago, Kenneth said:

stayed with a giant douche. 

You become who you surround yourself with.

Ive never done a 13 hour ironman and I hope I never do but circumstances in life and on raceday might make that happen in the future and if it does I hope to learn from it.

Some things that I would like to add to the discussion that I can personally relate to.

3 months ago I was in a huge hole, I never had time for family, work or triathlon, life seemed out of controls and exhausting.  Fast forward Ive stopped resisting a lot of things and I now seem to have time for everything.  I have had some help in the form of a hypnotherapist who said a few key things to me and it has helped a lot with stress levels.  Minimising those seems to help make everything happen easier.  It is amazing how much you can fit in your life if you allow yourself to do that.

Willie said its harder being in 15 hour shape than sub 10.  I have had a build back from a place I'd rather forget a couple years ago, I wouldn't have been surprised if I was in ~ 12 hour shape for a massive period if not 13hours +.  Building back to sub 10 hurt, it hurt a lot, there was a lot of sessions with me walking back from runs I blew up in, laying in my front yard for 20 or 30 min post run, getting out of the pool after ~1k and even sitting on the side of the road wondering how the f#ck I was going to get home.  Funnily enough I had very similar experiences in the 3 months before my best ever race where I got on the podium in my age group.  

I think the reality of the faster guys not struggling is very false, I struggle on a very regular basis and often have internal battles of whether I am good enough to complete a session I can do easily.  If I did 100 sessions in the last 10 weeks leading into an ironman I would suggest at least 10 of those I would have a major struggle with something.

13 hours is irrelevant, no matter what your finish time is, you know if you achieved what you set out to achieve when you clicked enter here on the ironman page.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Ive never done a 13 hour ironman and I hope I never do but circumstances in life and on raceday might make that happen in the future and if it does I hope to learn from it.

Some things that I would like to add to the discussion that I can personally relate to.

3 months ago I was in a huge hole, I never had time for family, work or triathlon, life seemed out of controls and exhausting.  Fast forward Ive stopped resisting a lot of things and I now seem to have time for everything.  I have had some help in the form of a hypnotherapist who said a few key things to me and it has helped a lot with stress levels.  Minimising those seems to help make everything happen easier.  It is amazing how much you can fit in your life if you allow yourself to do that.

Willie said its harder being in 15 hour shape than sub 10.  I have had a build back from a place I'd rather forget a couple years ago, I wouldn't have been surprised if I was in ~ 12 hour shape for a massive period if not 13hours +.  Building back to sub 10 hurt, it hurt a lot, there was a lot of sessions with me walking back from runs I blew up in, laying in my front yard for 20 or 30 min post run, getting out of the pool after ~1k and even sitting on the side of the road wondering how the f#ck I was going to get home.  Funnily enough I had very similar experiences in the 3 months before my best ever race where I got on the podium in my age group.  

I think the reality of the faster guys not struggling is very false, I struggle on a very regular basis and often have internal battles of whether I am good enough to complete a session I can do easily.  If I did 100 sessions in the last 10 weeks leading into an ironman I would suggest at least 10 of those I would have a major struggle with something.

13 hours is irrelevant, no matter what your finish time is, you know if you achieved what you set out to achieve when you clicked enter here on the ironman page.  

That's really cool to read. Thanks. 

What if someone else has clicked on the enter button..... 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, prizna said:

I find this very intriguing. Can you elaborate?

For how long did you average 15-25 hours for prior to the race? What was a generic make up of the week? How far from ideal was the day?

Port Mac this year, really ramped up the solid training weeks at Christmas. was averaging 7-10 hours leading up to that.

Did the first block 10-15 hours a week, then progressed incrementally as the bosy got used to the laods. Had a softer week every 3 weeks to absorb the training.

Normal week was about 6-7km swim, 250km riding, 50km running.

Ive never been a swimmer, fastest I had swum leading in over 1km+ was a 1.50/100 average. that just means you spend a long time in the water. I swam a 1.18 at port.

Riding I feel is my strongest- but again thats relative. Rode 6.20 at Port.

Ive never been a runner like a lot on here - leading up my fastest 5k was probably 24min, I had done one marathon leading in and did a 4.40.

Had a hip problem in the marathon at Port and ran a 5.02.

Ive since started working with a coach, and have a lot more structure to my training. Im swimming a little faster, Running quite a bit faster (just PB half Mara at 1.46, Mara at 4.20) but considering the training, nutrition etc that I put into the sport, Im just not that fast!

It doesn't mean I don't love it though!

Link to the race report is here - 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

think the reality of the faster guys not struggling is very false, I struggle on a very regular basis and often have internal battles of whether I am good enough to complete a session I can do easily.  If I did 100 sessions in the last 10 weeks leading into an ironman I would suggest at least 10 of those I would have a major struggle with something

This is so true - when I say the game is 70% mental it's not just on race day - often it's getting through something tough in training 

Another thing any sub 10hr athlete can have a bad day and it can blow out massively - I've had a couple of bad days (usually as a result of not preparing well) - everyone is entitled to a bad day in Ironman at some time, it'll happen if you keep doing them 😮

• Like 1

One thing that AP - "ironman legend" said a while ago is that "it's not the race that makes you an Ironman, it's the training" sticks in my head in the pool. 

Today's 3 sessions were ****ing hard between the ears. 

18 hours ago, FatPom said:

Well Thomo is coming to Wales next year, so,,,:whistling:

You do realise that I know that area and have read your race report??? No thanks.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

You do realise that I know that area and have read your race report??? No thanks.

There's beer (warm) and pasties (cold)! :thumbsup:

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, FatPom said:

There's beer (warm) and pasties (cold)! :thumbsup:

Awesome 👌👌

21 hours ago, FatPom said:

Well Thomo is coming to Wales next year, so,,,:whistling:

Accommodation Booked ,

Name is on the Start List

12 Months to get Ready Oh Dear !!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, TThomo said:

Accommodation Booked ,

Name is on the Start List

12 Months to get Ready Oh Dear !!!!!!!

I hear accommodation is sparse already for next year.  A good excuse for me not to commit😎

16 hours ago, FatPom said:

I hear accommodation is sparse already for next year.  A good excuse for me not to commit😎

You could share with TThomo that way you wont go home to an empty house after the race 😊

• Haha 1

Off memory, it was a single poster called trek52 who introduced the 13 hour Ironman concept 

He is an ex-pro Triathlete/Cyclist. So extremely talented and no doubt very competitive. It doesn't surprise me that he finds it difficult to understand why people are happy with a slow finish time.

It amuses me that this has become a Transitions Ironman benchmark. All seemingly based on the opinion of one person.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Off memory, it was a single poster called trek52 who introduced the 13 hour Ironman concept 

He is an ex-pro Triathlete/Cyclist. So extremely talented and no doubt very competitive. It doesn't surprise me that he finds it difficult to understand why people are happy with a slow finish time.

It amuses me that this has become a Transitions Ironman benchmark. All seemingly based on the opinion of one person.

O/K - fixed this for you all :)

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

You could share with TThomo that way you wont go home to an empty house after the race 😊

I think if I said I was doing IM next year to Mrs FP, I’d definitely be going home to an empty house. :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rob said:

The funny thing is trek52 was a total softcock that has NEVER done an ironman yet was happy to give elitist advice. 

He was a farktard 

28 minutes ago, Peter said:

The funny thing is trek52 was a total softcock that has NEVER done an ironman yet was happy to give elitist advice. 

He was a farktard 

So if you haven't done an Ironman you are a softcock. Doesn't matter how successful he might have been as a professional athlete, without an Ironman under his belt his opinion is worthless.

2 hours ago, trifun said:

O/K - fixed this for you all :)

I really don't see your point.  You are denying someone else's opinion as though it doesn't exist.

I was simply trying to highlight where I thought the 13 hour Ironman figure originated so as to put in perspective. And I added why the original poster may have thought the way he did.

Then again, I don't really understand why people give A.P. so much shit either.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Rob said:

give A.P. so 

Nicely done! Avoided the autocorrect

1 hour ago, Rob said:

So if you haven't done an Ironman you are a softcock. Doesn't matter how successful he might have been as a professional athlete, without an Ironman under his belt his opinion is worthless.

No. But if you havent done one and you put people down that have you are an arsehole. 

6 hours ago, Surfer said:

That Depends Who Finishes First , Could Be Still Be Empty .

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TThomo said:

That Depends Who Finishes First , Could Be Still Be Empty .

Oh yeah I can see it now. 'gotta finish first before Thomo nicks all  the hot water' 😎

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Oh yeah I can see it now. 'gotta finish first before Thomo nicks all  the hot water' 😎

Bit different to my first.

"Gotta finish first before Barney goes back & drinks all the beer".

• Haha 1

On 28/09/2018 at 12:51 PM, BigRig said:

Have done 5 all 14 hours +.I am not that good tbh, but just enjoy the training and the challenge on the day.

Yeah for me its about the training and challenging myself relative to my ability. If I ever do IM distance I'd be super happy to get anywhere near 13 hours. 

• Like 1

I never expected to do over 13. To be honest, I was in the Trek camp, and figured anybody who really tried should be able to come in under that (up to certain ages). And if I couldn't go under 13 up till at least 60 years, then I wouldn't bother.

Since being a part of this community I've seen the other side of Triathlon, and the pleasure people get just going out there & doing an IM. Some people do 13+ cause they don't put in the work, some do it because they can't put in the work. Some would rather just have fun out there, and some can't beat it for reasons we have no idea about.

If I do another one now, I know it's going to be 13+. And I think I'm probably going to enjoy it more than my fastest time.

• Like 2

The last 3-4 years I have done the bare minimum in training due to various injuries. And my times have not differed much. ie: ranging from 11:40 to 11:57 and this year my worst at 12:03 I think.

This year my average workload across the 3 disciplines was.

Swim - average weekly distance of 2.3Km

Bike - average weekly distance 114km

Run average weekly distance 13 km.

4 years ago I still did 11:40.... An that was on 1 x 10km run per week from mid February. I was recovering from a fractured tibia and told not to run for 12 months which would have taken me through to the following October..... Race day hurt like hell but you have to keep pushing along.

In short it can be done.

12 hours ago, The Customer said:

For what it's worth, I'm of the belief that full IM distance racing is bad for general health and wellbeing for 'most' people. 

Yes I've reached that opinion too TC even though I've not done one. Was on the path but the body imploded before i got there.

Re the 70% mental thing in my case that strength was a weakness.  Kept plugging away when I should have stopped. 

I feel much better now doing nothing longer than 2hrs and enjoy the whole thing a lot more.

Still, if I can get my body right I'd still like to try one IM one day but now there is no rush.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Yes I've reached that opinion too TC even though I've not done one. Was on the path but the body imploded before i got there.

Similarly in hindsight I’m wondering if, not so much the 11 Ironmans but the training for them has expedited my hip issues. Given the choice of backing it off and only doing short stuff and keeping my hip would have been an easy choice had I known. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, roxii said:

Similarly in hindsight I’m wondering if, not so much the 11 Ironmans but the training for them has expedited my hip issues. Given the choice of backing it off and only doing short stuff and keeping my hip would have been an easy choice had I known. 

Yeah. Basically I was stupid. I got a lot of satisfaction out of 6hr brick sessions but they did me in.

Not just IM though. I know heaps of runners and cyclists who've imploded in their 40s and 50s either joints or heart problems. 

There is some merit in retiring from something before it's time. 10yrs ago after a few IMs a sports doctor advised me to keep it to olympic distance with the odd half marathon.  He suggested being a shift worker with a blood disorder I was digging myself into a hole that would take some time to get out of.  He turned out to be right.

Edited by Merv
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Yeah. Basically I was stupid. I got a lot of satisfaction out of 6hr brick sessions but they did me in.

This is the bit I don't understand. I can't say I ever enjoyed 5 or 6 hour bike rides - either in training or competing.  By the time race day came I was well and truly over it - I have no desire to EVER do another bike ride over a couple of hours.

My body was already sufficiently busted before I started but it was clear to me half way through my IM prep that it would be a one and only. In the intervening 9 years I've ever questioned that decision. And that's not even taking into account time away from family and prioritising over other, probably more enjoyable recreations.

For the record, I can assure you that doing over 13 hours in near 40° heat is NOT enjoyable.

17 hours ago, The Customer said:

Getting really tired of you dragging up this example all the time, just like your PJ claim to fame. You always fail to take responsibility for anything that came after these short lived successes.

Short lived successes ? One guy improved his IM time from 13.50 to 9.46 on the same course in one year by simply working the plan, the other guy worked towards the goal and won in Hawaii (a feat achieved by less than 30 men in history) - and they had to go on to satisfy you - you are a hard task master - do I satisfy your high standards for backing up by still being in the game after 30yrs 🙄

Why does it seem every thread that gets past one page lately seem to end up in a tussle?  Let's all just pull them down, lay them out and TC, cranky and aa7 can award a winner and be done with it?  It makes it hard to read a thread when you have to skip 3 posts in every 4!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, goughy said:

Why does it seem every thread that gets past one page lately seem to end up in a tussle?  Let's all just pull them down, lay them out and TC, cranky and aa7 can award a winner and be done with it?  It makes it hard to read a thread when you have to skip 3 posts in every 4!

Lately being the last 10years?

Sounds about right!  I'm not good with time.