Turts

UTA 2019

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 3:06 PM, Turts said:

Damn that was hard. 

Never give up! 

Well done mate, that was impressive - especially considering your interrupted training and lead in to it.

That was one very tough event!!

Even on limited training I'm used to finishing in the top half of the field of most events - I only just made it through this one!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Well done mate, that was impressive - especially considering your interrupted training and lead in to it.

Even on limited training I'm used to finishing in the top half of the field of most events - I only just made it through this one!

You did brilliantly!

This was my toughest.  Least prepared physically, most interrupted training, most sensitive injury.  But most stubborn head to not give up, and not quit before I started. 

My longest 100km before was less than 18 hrs.  This took over 10 hrs longer.  Thats a huge mental demand. 

Great work mate!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

Well done GE, race report coming?😊

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 4:43 PM, FatPom said:

Great work GE and Turts.

Race report, race report.........please 😎

Thanks FP, it's a great event and definitely deserves a wrap that's for sure!

Firstly, thanks to Stem & Clappers for making the effort to catch up before the event.  My head was all over the shop trying to decide what to put in my drop bags which were to be taken out on course.  I was doing this event without a support crew so wanted to make sure that I had everything that I needed covered.

I had no real expectations of this event.  I'd previously done a 'flattish' 100km event in 10 & 1/2 Hours so really didn't expect this to be all that hard given that that the course had a cut-off of 28 hours.  I had no intention of 'racing' it, I was just l aiming to finish.

Being realistic, I'd only been doing up to about 40k's a week in training for about 10 weeks leading up to this event, but some of that also included steps sessions so I was at least a little bit prepared for the event.  The biggest problem that I had was that I had tender feet that would get very sore even from gentle downhill running.  This meant that on the gentle downhill sections where most people can make up a bit of time, I was limited to a slow walk or shuffle which really made for a long day!

The event itself was fantastic.  A brilliant course in an absolutely beautiful part of the world.  We started just before 8.00am and it was a glorious day.  I stopped about 10 times over the first few km's just to take photos...  it was one of them kind of events.

Apart from almost 4,400m of elevation gain throughout the event there were also over 10,000 steps.  Many of these were steel ladders with handrails going up and down the rock faces.  These weren't too bad because you could help pull yourself up and down using your arms.  The harder steps to negotiate were ones that were cut or built out of the rocks.  None of it was too technical, but when combined with covering 100km, it was a challenge.  There was even one section where they install an aluminium extension ladder down a rockface.  There is an option to bi-pass this ladder but I figured I wanted to experience it all so undertook the ladder.

The aid stations, and all the volunteers throughout the course, were brilliant.  Each aid station had good supplies of electrolyte drink, coke, water, chips, power bars, gels, soup and lollies.  There were 3 bag drop stations so it was very achievable to complete this event without a support crew.  Personally I didn't even need to use the drop bags, but it was nice to know that I had a change of shoes, and lots of clean & dry clothing if I needed it.

The night before the event I stayed in a shared room at the race start.  It was great accommodation but I only managed to get a couple of hours sleep.  As a result during the overnight leg of the event I drank a fair bit of coke.  I also took on board the on-course electrolyte drink, but as coke is a diuretic I think I might have flushed a lot of the good stuff out of me.  I managed to finish the event, but it was fairly tough.  I'd usually do a jump across the line, but this time I had nothing.  My time 24 hours, 59 minutes.

I finished the event about 9.00am Sunday morning.  I didn't feel like eating, so I showered, got cleaned up and headed straight for home.  I slept well on Sunday night and had every intention of going to work on Monday morning.  I got up and went to the bathroom about 7.30am but thought I'd go back to bed for a little while before getting up...  the next thing I knew I woke up in the back of an Ambulance on my way to Hospital.  I'd had a 'seizure' and had scared the hell out of my wife.  I got to Hospital and just after lunch had another seizure.  Scary as all hell.  When I came around I didn't recall anything at all.  Everyone was saying about the run, but I couldn't recall it at all.

I spent 3 days in Hospital and they did a range of tests including an MRI and EEG (presumably looking for a brain tumour) but I think they've now both come back clear.  At this stage they've put me on 1500 mg/day of Levetiracetam to try and stop the seizures and have now let me go home.  They are not real sure what caused it all but are presuming that the seizures are a result of low sodium/potassium levels as a result of the race.  I know they quoted 126 as one of the levels and the doctor was fairly surprised.   I'm meant to see a Neurologist (Dr Andrew Bleasel) in a few weeks time so hopefully I might get a few more answers then.  Apparently I'm not invincible :shy:.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

34 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Well done GE, race report coming?😊

Thanks Surfer, this really was a tough one.  Great event though.

I know my post above wasn't much of a race report, but I wanted to try and get a bit of it down before I forgot it.  I really am surprised that I struggled with it like I did.  Sure I'm about 10 Kilos over weight, but I've still got a fairly recent race and endurance base in my legs so expected that I'd get through it a fair bit easier than I did.  I guess it's possible that I went into the event carrying some kind of bug, but I guess I'll never really know.  Either way it's done, it's a great event & I'd recommend it to anyone - just make sure you try and get some specific training done, and watch your nutrition!!

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Apparently I'm not invincible :shy:.

Shit!  Thats big mate.  Glad you are on the other side of that - but scary as hell!! 

Take it easy, and recover recover recover!!!! 

• Like 2

Bloody hell GE, that's some turn of events mate. I really hope things settle down and you have no repeat of the episodes!

Well done again on the race, that elevation with the ladders sounds very tough.  I think both my races have about 3,500-4000 mtr gain, so your race puts it in perspective.

• Like 2

Jeez Go Easy, that's a hell of way to wrap up a race! Glad you're on the mend and hope it was just the low sodium/potassium. 

You and Turts are amazing! I can't conceive even thinking about those distances knowing how much I struggled the last bit of the 50, even with a reasonable lead in. Well done on getting it done and good to catch up before the day. Speedy recovery and hope to catch you at another crazy event soon.

• Like 2

Ooops my fat fingers in the way , second attempt to say:

Woaahhh GE!   Not the report I was expecting. All the best with your recovery.

Agree that its an amazing & beautiful part of the world 

• Like 1

Short race report from me (not as eventful as GE’s!)

I had a pretty bad run up to this, with injuries and compromised training.   But after pulling out at CP4 (58km) in 2016, I had re-entered this year with the goal of getting it done.

I was stubborn enough to not want to pull out before I even started so had a plan to keep moving as best I could at each moment, and see how I went.  I knew I had to push with some running in the first 32km to make the cutoffs, but then a solid fast walk would get me to the end.

I started with 3 PRP shots in my left knee, cortisone in the right, and 2 rolls of tape on my left knee for the race.

I pushed as hard as I could, but smartly not fogging myself, and protecting my knee.  Downsteps was particularly bad, and uphills showcased my lack of fitness and ideal race weight.  But I kept trucking.

Made the first CP with about 20min, and moved quickly out.   Tarros ladders were still awesome, Mt Derbert was huge, and the run into CP2 uneventful.  I came in with a satisfactory buffer over cutoffs, and felt much better than the previous year.

I’d jarred my back in the first 50m of the race, so was having trouble stepping up et my left leg.  Running actually felt good!

Ironpot was still lovely, and steep.  But I was still feeling ok, and moving well enough.,   I was trading places with a small group of 3, and a couple of individuals, but I lost them in the dark heading in to CP3.

Nellies Glen was tough, and I started feeling weak and dizzy again – as I did in 2016.  But I pushed on, and came into CP4 feeling OK.  My time buffer wasn’t great, but I was only about 20min behind where I expected to be if everything went according to plan.

The weather was perfect, and I hadn’t needed to access any of my gear at the drop bag in CP3.  Just restoked calories and water – and the same for CP4.

Out of CP4 and down the Giant staircase, which was challenging but very cool in the dark. Then the wheels totally fell off up Leura Forest climb. Nausea, dizzy, lightheaded.  I made myself keep moving, with short goals of steps and rest.

It was tight coming into the 70km CP at Fairmont, but I ran in strong, filled my water and ran out strong.

Not long after the sweeps caught up to me (Steve and Elke) as no one in the groups I passed had mde it out of Fairmont on time.

They were with me for a bit, then had to stay with other runners who pulled the pin.

I’d almost decided to pull the pin at CP5, coming in with about 10min.

But they (Jaci, who I'd volunteered with on Thursday) wouldn’t let me, and pushed me out with Coke and refilled bottles- and the last 3 sweeps (SJ, Bec and Blake - awesome folks).

We went down Kedumba, it started to get light again, and I made it to the helipad time point about 3min over the cut – but I was moving strongly and they let me keep going.

2 sweeps pulled ahead then to catch the group 15min ahead of me, and get them in.  One stayed with me.

We kept plugging through the forest, and arrived at the bottom of Furber, absolutely shattered.

The winner had hiked down and was there gee-ing me on, and after about 20 steps up I was surrounded by about a dozen other people who hiked down to bring me in.

The finish was epic – felt like a rock star welcome for being last.

It was the hardest, longest and most painful thing  I have ever done. But I did it, and am very glad.

I was in a tent at the caravan park, so a slow walk back (with sweep Bec who was staying there also) , a sit down, struggle up the hill to the showers, ana very painful lie down, and it was time to pack up camp. 

Mondaymoring was packing up my tent, gazebo, and comforts of home, including putting stuff on the roof of the troopy. 

My mum caught the train up to Katoomba so I met her at lunch and we spent the next 2 days travelling home, taking her camping and on picnics on the river.   Got a bit excited getting in the car and managed to actually tear my glute.

Hope Wed night, and back to work Thurs/Fri.  Mum back on the plane today, so now I get to rest. 7 days later now, and that glute is all the pain I have. 

I did it on Tailwind, some gels, a few chips, and some on-course electrolyte.

I’ll add more as I have time!

(I also carried a GoPro and got some decent footage – so I’ll get some stuff together if I can)

If everything had gfone acording to plan I was hoping for 25-6 hrs. 

I finished in 28:31. 

The time limit for UTMB points is a finish in 28 hrs.  but if you make all the intemediate cut-offs (including up to the sewage treatment at around 96km and are deemed fit enough to continue the last few km, you have an official finish, even if your final time is over 28. 

Edited by Turts
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Not sure if this will work but...

That makes it look like we were all in one happy conga line! 

4 hours ago, Turts said:

I had a pretty bad run up to this, with injuries and compromised training...

I was stubborn enough to not want to pull out before I even started so had a plan to keep moving as best I could at each moment, and see how I went.

At least you had a plan, and you had the determination to give it a fair crack and see how you went.

It was an amazing effort.  I'm sure you'll agree with me that you're training and background in running is not ideal for such a tough long event over such elevation.  My training wasn't ideal, but it wasn't that bad either, and you managed to finish not that far behind me.

You had a plan, you gutsed it out and you didn't give up.  That's an amazing effort and you deserve all the kudos you receive.

Plus you gave up some of your own time to volunteer and give back.  Hat's off to you mate, I salute you!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Go Easy said:

'm sure you'll agree with me that you're training and background in running is not ideal for such a tough long event over such elevation

My training and background is not ideal for anything but being a benchwarmer! 

I'm just hellish stubborn, in denial, and have ideas above my capabilities. 

It was epic!! 

Edited by Turts
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Turts said:

My training and background is not ideal for anything but being a benchwarmer! 

I'm just telling stubborn, in denial, and have ideas above my capabilities. 

It was epic!! 

You just keep doing what you do...   I don't think I've ever used the term before, but what you did was awesome!  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Go Easy said:

what you did was awesome!

what WE ALL did was awesome .

Medics, staff, sweeps, vollies, support crews (not that you and I had any) . Beats the shit out of an urban triathlon.  

Ironman ownership gave us race name tees and a better lost property system (or so I've heard).  The rest is all Tom, Alina, and AROC. 

(I lost nothing except my race bib in Leura Forest)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Turts said:

Medics, staff, sweeps, vollies, support crews (not that you and I had any) . Beats the shit out of an urban triathlon.  

Ironman ownership gave us race name tees and a better lost property system (or so I've heard).  The rest is all Tom, Alina, and AROC.

Yep, I'd pay that.  Even though part of the event is still a bit of a blur as a result of being crook, this event is going to go down as one of my favourites.  Great event!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

Even though part of the event is still a bit of a blur as a result of being crook,

mate, on any normal day, please describe all the exact events in proper order with complete clarity, that occurred over the last 25 hrs........... 

Damn, don't be so hard on youself!  It's all a fricking blurr. Bush, stairs, trails, pain, puffing, daylight, dark, high viz, headlamp, daylight, random people, finish. 

Plus you added in a few brain farts and a trip to hosital!

• Thanks 1

I'm a UTA100 tourist

I had a video here, which I've unlinked - I just want to change the sound tack. 

I'llstick it back when I fix it

Edited by Turts
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Turts said:

Got a bit excited getting in the car and managed to actually tear my glute.

Oh Turts! 🤣

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Oh Turts! 🤣

Haha, yep, I'm special! I broke my butt. 

(And short, driving a big car)

• Haha 2

Thank you both for the race reports. It looks absolutely amazing. Turts what a fantastic effort. I love that you just do bat Sh*t crazy stuff just because you can. Well done to you both.

• Thanks 1

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 6:29 AM, Stem said:

In for the 50. Gotta do better than last year :blowup:

So...  How did you go?

I see your race time was 8:29:36, which looks like a reasonably good result.  I'm keen to get your thoughts on it.

On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 5:50 PM, Stem said:

Speedy recovery and hope to catch you at another crazy event soon.

Are you likely to be attempting this one again?  It's a tough event but it is a good one.

Turts?  What about you?  Or is this one box that's now well and truly ticked  :boxed:.

18 hours ago, Turts said:

Damn, don't be so hard on yourself...

Plus you added in a few brain farts and a trip to hospital!

I was an idiot for even attempting this event with the amount of training (or rather lack of training) I'd been doing and in the condition that I was in.  I've always got away with doing stupid shit in the past, so I thought I'd be right this time, but obviously I wasn't.

It's pretty scary knowing that you can have a seizure totally out of the blue and with no warning whatsoever.  It's very possible that life will never be the same again.  I don't want it to sound melodramatic, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to give up this lifestyle just yet...  I enjoy doing stupid shit on minimal notice, it keeps life interesting!

Well done to those that finished. I pulled the pin at CP4 due to a calf injury coming up Nellie's Glen after 11 hours. Definitely my A race for next year.

• Sad 3

2 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Turts?  What about you?  Or is this one box that's now well and truly ticked  :boxed:.

I've now completed the 50 (2015) and the 100 (DNF in 2016, SUCCESS in 2019).

Next year I'll run the 11 on the thursday and vollie the Fri/Sat/Sun for the 22,  50/100. 

Edited by Turts
  • Like 1

Or maybe run the 11 and 22 so i have the full set. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lesmack said:

you just do bat Sh*t crazy stuff just because you can you ARE batsh*t crazy

FTFY :thumbsup:

Edited by Turts
For emphasis....that i AM batsh*t crazy
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Go Easy said:

So...  How did you go?

I see your race time was 8:29:36, which looks like a reasonably good result.  I'm keen to get your thoughts on it.

Hey Go Easy. Pretty much as expected. With the training I did I was hoping to still be running by the bottom of Kedumba which was pretty spot on, reached the creek about 10 past my 'best possible time' estimate. Cramps set in from then so mostly walking from there. If the legs had held up I would have been looking at 7:40 so not too bad and 1hr 40 quicker than last year. Slowest accent of Furber stairs but the finish chute was amazing and so worth it just for that.

I forgot how many down steps there are after the Fairmont and hadn't trained for them so I think that section smashed my legs. Something to add to the training next time.

I hope all is well with you mate.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, asmithaxe said:

Well done to those that finished. I pulled the pin at CP4 due to a calf injury coming up Nellie's Glen after 11 hours. Definitely my A race for next year.

Sorry to hear that mate. 

That was the scene of my DNF IN 2016 (albeit after more than 11 hrs). 

Come back stronger next time!! 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Go Easy said:

I was an idiot for even attempting this event with the amount of training (or rather lack of training) I'd been doing and in the condition that I was in.  I've always got away with doing stupid shit in the past, so I thought I'd be right this time, but obviously I wasn't.

It's pretty scary knowing that you can have a seizure totally out of the blue and with no warning whatsoever.  It's very possible that life will never be the same again.  I don't want it to sound melodramatic, but I'm not sure that I'm ready to give up this lifestyle just yet...  I enjoy doing stupid shit on minimal notice, it keeps life interesting!

How u travelling now? 

Any more clues as to the problem? 

2 hours ago, Turts said:

Any more clues as to the problem? 

No not really, they believe that the low sodium count (126) was the reason that I had the seizures, but there's no real obvious reason why my electrolytes were so low in the first place.  I'm thinking that maybe I had a bug before going into the event but I don't think I'll ever really know.  The fact that I only got a couple of hours sleep the night before the event, and then being awake the whole night of the event (like you suggest) would probably explain why the event is a bit of a blur, but I really was in Disneyland for most of it.  One thing's for sure, I definitely need to treat my health with a bit more respect.  I think if you're a bit more 'in-tune' with your body and how it's feeling then it is much easier to pick when things aren't quite right and you need to be careful.

Hope your recovery's going well...  That what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

One thing I'm really conscious of after these long events is recovery nutrition. 

I never feel hungry after an event, but make myself eat small amounts of good food.  Plenty of fluids and electrolytes, amino acids, protein, and carbs. 

You will finish dehydrated and the lower blood pressure can be a problem.  To properly rehydrate you need electrolytes too, to build that blood volume again. 

Jumping in a car for a long drive straight after likely did you no favours.  I could barely move! 

I made sure I had some food and drinks next to my bed that night, and got up a few times to drink, eat a wee bit, and use the loo.  

What did you do nutrition wise after and the next 24 hrs? 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I definitely felt flat when I finished.  I didn't really feel seedy, but I also didn't feel like eating & drinking either.  I had cheese jaffles for dinner and drank a couple of cans of diet coke and that was about it, so probably not ideal.  But I also didn't think I'd gone hard enough to need much in the way of fuel & hydration.  In hindsight I probably should have prioritised the replacement of carbs & electrolytes.

Given that I'm now not allowed to drive for 6 months and am on anti-seizure medication indefinitely it was a costly mistake!

9 minutes ago, Go Easy said:

But I also didn't think I'd gone hard enough to need much in the way of fuel & hydration

Without exercise, being awake from maybe 6am Sat thru until whenever Sunday is a hard slog. 

But lesson learned. Next time you'll rock the race AND the recovery! 

(Yep, I'm sure there'll be a next time!!👍)

Take it easy, heal up, and get crackin!! 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Turts said:

But lesson learned. Next time you'll rock the race AND the recovery! 

(Yep, I'm sure there'll be a next time!!👍)

Loves Ya Turts, you're a champion!  :thumbsup:

Not sure if I'll go back or not, but I would recommend the race to anyone.

I might take a leaf out of your book and just go back to support others, I certainly appreciated the support I got out there.

4 hours ago, Go Easy said:

Loves Ya Turts, you're a champion!  :thumbsup:

Not sure if I'll go back or not, but I would recommend the race to anyone.

I might take a leaf out of your book and just go back to support others, I certainly appreciated the support I got out there.

Do a shorter one.   There's the 11, 22 and 50. ALL finish up Furber!  

The 22 and 50 do Kedumba/Jamieson

The 50 is essentially the back half of the 100, so gets the glories of Giant Staircase and Leura Frest climb. 

• Like 1

OK, as promised. 

It's 15:30 - but I am in the process of putting together a shorter one. 

It's my first time using a GoPro and putting a video together, so apologies if it's rubbish.

Edited by Turts
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Turts said:

OK, as promised. 

It's 15:30 - but I am in the process of putting together a shorter one. 

It's my first time using a GoPro and putting a video together, so apologies if it's rubbish.

It's a great video!  What editing software did you use?

38 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

It's a great video!  What editing software did you use?

Just the Quik ap that goes with GoPro.  My computer isnt much chop, so just did it on my phone. Samsung s10  .

Downloaded the free tunes. 

Found it easy to use. Since I'm a Gumby, that was necessary! 

10 hours ago, Turts said:

Just the Quik ap that goes with GoPro.  My computer isnt much chop, so just did it on my phone. Samsung s10  .

Downloaded the free tunes. 

Found it easy to use. Since I'm a Gumby, that was necessary! 

I use the old GoPro Studio (which I don't think they support anymore).  I've got to find those free tunes!

53 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

I use the old GoPro Studio (which I don't think they support anymore).  I've got to find those free tunes!

I got my tunes here

https://www.bensound.com

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Surfer said:

Hey Turts how has your recovery been?

Really good. 

Was back to about 95% in a week ,just a bit of hip tightness, and of course the glute issue injured after the race. 

100% now. 

Started back training on the weekend, and did a ramp test this morning to set my ftp for the next tri block. 

Not surprisingly, a few points lower! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great video...did you get lost at all.  At times it looked like there was barely a trail!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Toolish said:

Great video...did you get lost at all.  At times it looked like there was barely a trail!

It was really well marked with pink tape so you'd have to try pretty hard to actually get lost.  But yeah at times it was a bit random - you just had to look up and see the next bit of tape to plan your route. 

In spots where there was dirt you could see scuff marks/footprints form the other thousand before me. 

Never got lost.  Although at night, I almost missed a turn off the "main" track - just had someone come back towards me who had missed it, just as i was about to.  There is reflective tape on the pink for the night time bits (ie, from around 40km on (it gets dark early)

• Like 1

Glad you're OK (and that you finished!), GE. I hope you're bouncing back OK.

I just read your race report, and while I'm not a doctor, my initial thoughts were hyponatraemia.

It is not at all uncommon among ultra runners, particularly during long events in relatively low temperatures. It is not unusual for runners to over-hydrate in such conditions. Avoiding hyponatraemia and maintaining appropriate fluid balance are principle messages delivered at ultra medical briefings.

Low sodium levels are a classic symptom/cause of hyponatraemia. Seizures are among the possible symptoms.

I think you're looking in the wrong place regarding coke consumption/diuretic effect during the run as a significant cause. When looking at overall fluid balance, I can't imagine the amount of caffeine in coke would lead to significant dehydration in a long race in relatively cool conditions.

Hyponatraemia is due to excessive fluid retention and when it comes to fluid balance, that's most likely where any problems lie.

On a general note re post-race nutrition, what's the story with the diet coke? If there's ever a time when your body is crying out for calories/recovery, it's after an ultra. Given that food may not be so palatable or easy to stomach post-race, the calories we do manage to drink in the hours following the race take on greater importance.

Edited by Paul Every
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Paul Every said:

Glad you're OK (and that you finished!), GE. I hope you're bouncing back OK.

I just read your race report, and while I'm not a doctor, my initial thoughts were hyponatraemia.

It is not at all uncommon among ultra runners, particularly during long events in relatively low temperatures. It is not unusual for runners to over-hydrate in such conditions. Avoiding hyponatraemia and maintaining appropriate fluid balance are principle messages delivered at ultra medical briefings.

Low sodium levels are a classic symptom/cause of hyponatraemia. Seizures are among the possible symptoms.

I think you're looking in the wrong place regarding coke consumption/diuretic effect during the run as a significant cause. When looking at overall fluid balance, I can't imagine the amount of caffeine in coke would lead to significant dehydration in a long race in relatively cool conditions.

Hyponatraemia is due to excessive fluid retention and when it comes to fluid balance, that's most likely where any problems lie.

Excellent to get your feedback Paul, I really appreciate you taking the time to comment as I really am at a bit of a loss to explain it all.

It's definitely knocked me around a lot and I only just returned to work (an office job) today.  Brain is a little bit 'fuzzy' and I still have a sore chest & back, but it's all gradually getting better.

Firstly, I'm reasonably experienced at 'racing' tough endurance events up to about 12 hours but these are usually in warm conditions and, as a result of attempting to be reasonably competitive at them, my nutrition and hydration needs are usually fairly well calculated.  This event was much cooler, twice as long (due to me intentionally not racing it) and deceptively tougher than I had expected.

You are spot on that Hyponatremia is a concern in Ultra events and Tom Landon-Smith (Race Director) even made special mention of it at the athlete's briefing.  Tom's advice was to 'drink to thirst'.  I was also already well aware of the dangers of Hyponatremia after having a friend collapse from it in an a Ironman and remain in a coma for a number of days several years ago.

If I was 'racing' this event I would have pretty much drank to a nutrition plan where I'd have drank my preferred electrolyte & carbohydrate replacement (Tailwind) at a predetermined ratio and volume so that I would have been very well aware of what I was taking on-board.  As I was not racing this event, and chose not to have a support crew but use the on-course electrolyte (Shotz), I think I did the right thing of speaking to the reps & test sampling all the products that would be on course at the expo the day before the event.

I went into this event with feet that were prone to soreness, which although they would probably not stop me, did result in the event taking way longer than it should, and it also meant I was travelling at a lot less intensity than what I was used to.  Unfortunately I also went into the event very sleep deprived, which meant that even now I'm having trouble recalling much of the course, let alone how much I drank at each of the aid stations.  But I do recall thinking about Tom's words at the briefing where he'd repeatedly said to 'drink to thirst'.  From memory I do recall that they had Coke at one of the Aid Stations very early in the event and I remember thinking wow that's a long way to be drinking Coke from there to the finish...  I think I had my first Coke at about the 57km mark, and then had about 50% Coke & 50% Electrolyte Mix the rest of the way to the finish.  I don't exactly recall how much I had, but probably way too much as you have already suggested.  Yet I don't recall stopping to pee very often, maybe only 4 or 5 times during the entire event.

3 hours ago, Paul Every said:

On a general note re post-race nutrition, what's the story with the diet coke? If there's ever a time when your body is crying out for calories/recovery, it's after an ultra. Given that food may not be so palatable or easy to stomach post-race, the calories we do manage to drink in the hours following the race take on greater importance.

It was simply a case of already having a couple of cans of diet coke in an esky in the car.  I agree, it's rubbish and it's probably my biggest vice, but I really didn't expect to be suffering a seizure the following morning.  I didn't feel overly unwell during or after the event and I didn't have any of the other classic symptoms of Hyponatremia such as Headaches, Muscle Cramps or Nausea.  I just felt very tired and a bit disorientated, which I naturally just put down to the sleep deprivation.  Normally I'd tell anyone else to make sure they got the carbs & electrolytes back in following an event like this - but I obviously wasn't thinking straight myself & I really didn't think I'd gone that hard.

I really do hope you are correct that the Hyponatremia (and resultant seizures) are simply a result of over hydration and not the result of an underlying health issue that is causing my body to have trouble regulating it's sodium levels.  Unfortunately certain types of Cancers can also be the cause of Hyponatremia.  Hopefully the specialists might be able to provide a few more answers in coming weeks.

Once again I really do appreciate your feedback, it all helps myself and others considering their hydration needs for future events.

Thanks mate :thumbsup:.

• Like 2

On 28/05/2019 at 8:52 PM, Go Easy said:

Yeah I definitely felt flat when I finished.  I didn't really feel seedy, but I also didn't feel like eating & drinking either.  I had cheese jaffles for dinner and drank a couple of cans of diet coke and that was about it, so probably not ideal.  But I also didn't think I'd gone hard enough to need much in the way of fuel & hydration.  In hindsight I probably should have prioritised the replacement of carbs & electrolytes.

Given that I'm now not allowed to drive for 6 months and am on anti-seizure medication indefinitely it was a costly mistake!

You ran 100km, and at the end drank DIET coke! This thread is full of madness but this, why!?

All the best for the recovery, glad you are on the up. that's one scary episode to have. Clearly is still affecting your life, can't believe you can't drive for 6 months. That's rough :(  But I guess I can see why.

Edited by dazaau
  • Thanks 1