Flanman

Pretty Disappointing

Me.

After a promise to myself that I would look to have a better winter and upcoming season, I have let myself down. Too many beers and mouthfuls of food. Too many excuses - not enough training. It's not the willpower - its the wont power. It's the same thing almost every year.

As one of the newly acquainted folk - time to give yourself an uppercut and JFDI.

So, a stake (not steak) in the ground today. I have taken  my weight and a plan is made. Time to get ahead of the curve before the end of year. Only doing Nepean beforehand ad the Sydney to Gong ride with friends. The proof will be in the output, not the talk.

See you all on the flip side.

FM

• Like 6

I also can join the disappointment club. I've put on about 10kgs this year wholly down to poor diet and alcohol. Life/stress/work etc has been a contributing factor. 

See if I can turn it around in time for Noosa. At least I can go in the early Clydesdales waves though! :)

Get posting in the thread about what training youve done. Everyone here will keep you honest 😉😆

• Like 1

Must be nearly time for a Biggest Loser - hasn't been one for yonks.

• Like 3

I was just going to refer Flanman to those threads of APs or god forbid mention cutting carbs but we'll keep that debate in a separate thread..

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, trinube said:

13? weeks until Christmas (14? something)

Sound like a good idea.

I would set something up now, but no access to google docs from work :(

Biggest Loser - Christmas Present edition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, trinube said:

Noooooooo, this is the first winter i didn't put on 10kg ;)

• Haha 1

Hey Mick, as we get older it can be an easy thing to do just to take our foot off the gas. The main thing is, you’ve identified it and are willing to do something about it. We all do what we can, when we can and life really does get in the way sometimes.

We’ll keep you honest mate :)

• Like 2

More than happy to catch up at Nepean so you can bask in the awesomeness Flanny

You'll probably end up in Kona like Cranky did B)

• Haha 1

Try the Man Shake !!  

I was hovering around 86kg and not getting any lighter, started the man shake at the start of the year and now sitting on 73kg , my race times have dropped heaps !!  Working shift work plays havoc with your diet and training, the man shake was an easy fix :))

Since tearing my Achilles last year I’ve added a few extra Kgs too.. which isn’t ideal when ur only 5 foot tall! I’ve pretty much been traveling every week for a year for work and living in hotels. I’ve entered Geelong 70.3 purely to shed some Kgs for summer... I’ve also found this since turning 40 its harder to keep a consistent weight without any real exercise and healthy eating. 

• Like 1

Moved to Perth in early May:

• Swimming - yet to swim in WA. Swam 2.5km at Manly on a brief visit to Sydney a couple of weeks ago.
  • Cycling - one flat 40km ride. Rode 6km to and from Curtin Uni on Sunday.
  • Running - about 7 runs of 7 to 10km. On the bright side, that's more run training than I did in the first 4 months of 2018 when back in Sydney and more than all of 2017.
  • Except for swimming, I have covered more racing miles than training miles this year.

2018 races:

• Feb - 45 minute orienteering
  • Mar - 6 Foot Track 45km
  • Apr - Mt Solitary 45 km
  • May - Port Macq IM
  • July - Wild Goose Chase 53km

Not looking good for Port Macq at this stage. Especially after having 2017 off from running and cycling as well.

3 hours ago, plugga said:

Try the Man Shake !!  

I was hovering around 86kg and not getting any lighter, started the man shake at the start of the year and now sitting on 73kg , my race times have dropped heaps !!  Working shift work plays havoc with your diet and training, the man shake was an easy fix :))

Mick, I tried this for while as well. Not whole meal replacements but instead of the mid afternoon snack that will see me thru a run or ride after work, I have a shake. I don't feel hungry before or during the workout either.

I've found I also don't eat a big meal at dinner when I do this. I dropped 5 kg in 6 weeks. I've adjusted my diet as well and still shedding weight at a healthy rate.

Just an idea you might consider. 

10 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Mick, I tried this for while as well. Not whole meal replacements but instead of the mid afternoon snack that will see me thru a run or ride after work, I have a shake. I don't feel hungry before or during the workout either.

I've found I also don't eat a big meal at dinner when I do this. I dropped 5 kg in 6 weeks. I've adjusted my diet as well and still shedding weight at a healthy rate.

Just an idea you might consider. 

Serious question - does it taste like shit?  Over the years the Mrs has tried a few of these meal-replacement shakes and they've all tasted like blended excrement. I  think I may have tried a man-bar and it was as crap as any other protein type bar.

There used to be a killer low-carb shake (chocolate De-Lite) by GNC. Was the only one I ever found that actually tasted good. Used to smash it after bike rides or touch football - then the bastards discontinued it.

• Like 1

The chocolate is the best !!  I’ll agree it’s not for everyone, I have a shake for breakfast then on night shift, instead of stopping and picking up a dirty servo pie I’ll have a man shake :))

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trinube said:

think I may have tried a man-bar 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ill just leave that there!!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I remember when Flanman wasn't such a softcock and would do Corp cup and then smash out 2 repeats of stairs in his building as cooldown

Mick don't be so hard on yourself

I can be your training partner

Swimming I'm not a member of your exclusive pool, but Camden Oylimpic pool opens Saturday 

Cycling I can bring my bike and dumb trainer round to yours or we could go on M7

Running I don't need to drive past your place anymore to get to park run, a new park run has started in Camden. Parkruns are a really good way to get your mojo back

We could do park run then go for a swim - then a well earned coffee

Just make training fun and the fitness goes up and the weight goes down

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I too can join the disappointment club.Was 4 weeks into IM Busso training, then followed by  a long planned 2 week Nordic holiday including a 7 day cruise ( floating Buffet), and despite eating okay and doing an hour in the gym each day plus a butt-ton of walking,I returned 3.5 kg heavier.Also gave myself an uppercut last week and will aim to lose 5kg.

• Like 2

Just saw on Facebook NoKnees sculling steins standing on a table in a beer hall in Munich.

i lol forward to him contributing this thread on his return :lol: 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nealo said:

I've put on 7kg in 6 months training for a half marathon then a full marathon 🙄

💪💪👌

2 hours ago, nealo said:

Muscle. It's gotta be muscle.

Note, I'm muscly AF right now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nealo said:

You win - you should be the one to set up BL :)

I've put on weight and not raced, but there are quite a few reasons for this. I am not happy with the situation and it's down to me to change it. Simply, I am not swimming enough, I am not riding enough and I am not running enough. I am also not stretching enough. I am eating the wrong foods and drinking too much.

As a result, I feel lazy, lethargic and had lost the enjoyment for things I really love. Change those things above and it should be a start. 

Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I put on 14kg (18% of what I weighed at the time) when I stopped running. I managed to drop 4kg when I started swimming lots, but have now put that plus another 2kg back on in 6 weeks since I stopped. I think half the problem is I feel miserable cause I can't do anything, so I eat more.

I've dropped that 2kg since I started eating less carbs, but am still feeling like crap when I can't exercise.

• Like 1

On 25 September 2018 at 8:00 PM, trinube said:

Serious question - does it taste like shit?  Over the years the Mrs has tried a few of these meal-replacement shakes and they've all tasted like blended excrement. I  think I may have tried a man-bar and it was as crap as any other protein type bar.

There used to be a killer low-carb shake (chocolate De-Lite) by GNC. Was the only one I ever found that actually tasted good. Used to smash it after bike rides or touch football - then the bastards discontinued it.

Nope. I've had the choc one, banana one and vanilla one. Choc one is the best as Plugga said, the vanilla is ok as well. I won't be getting banana again. Bit too sweet.

A mate of mine will have a man shake for brekky after his morning swim squad training, as he drives to work. He says it keeps him going until he gets a chance to "inhale" a huge bowl of cereal at morning tea. Apparently it's quite a sight to see him down the cereal and a huge coffee in his 20 min break.

4 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Nope. I've had the choc one, banana one and vanilla one. Choc one is the best as Plugga said, the vanilla is ok as well. I won't be getting banana again. Bit too sweet.

Cheers, I've ordered a week's worth so will give it a shot. Not really looking too much at weight loss - I'm within a couple of kilos of where I like to be - but I really miss the shakes I used to have after rides and swims. If i can drop the kilos too that's just an added benefit. Some of the recipes look pretty good as well.

Edited by trinube

Thanks all. It's just up to me now and fit in training when I can. Food - to fit in where is should. The pantry has been cleaned of toxins. The fridge is almost done.

FM

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Flanman said:

The fridge is almost done.

FM

Read: I've almost drunk all the beers 😂

• Haha 3

On 26/09/2018 at 9:33 PM, Greyman said:

I've had the choc one, banana one and vanilla one. Choc one is the best as Plugga said, the vanilla is ok as well. I won't be getting banana again.

Urghh - blended excrement :shit:

I'll use it up but it's gonna be a test (80% mental I guess). 2 scoops feels way too much - really strong. I'll try 1 scoop tomorrow.

On 26/09/2018 at 9:16 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

but am still feeling like crap when I can't exercise.

That happens to me too, so I always try to find some form of exercise, even if it is just walking, else I spiral down fast and start drinking even more grog.

For the 5yrs my knees were screaming 24/7, the gym was my saviour.  I devised an intense little 25min circuit I could do in there which did not make the knees worse. It also seemed to have the benefit of fixing my sore L shoulder, as I could mostly only do upper body & core stuff.