Sign in to follow this  
Ex-Hasbeen

UCI Worlds

The first 2 events of this year's World Championships were held last night. The men's & women's TTT. 

Canyon won the women's event to take the first gold medal of the championships, and Quick-Step Floors won the men's. In the men's, Mitchelton Scott led at the first checkpoint, Sunweb at the second, but Quickstep flew through the last third of the course to take the title by 18 seconds. Easily the top team this year for professional victories, Q-S are savoring this WC as the culmination of a great year. Of course they'd love one more victory in 6 days time, but as a team victory, this one is always special.

Junior Women & Under 23 Men on tonight.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 2

They haven't raced that format in years. It was 6 riders & 62.8km

It was 100km and 4 riders when they rode in National teams up till mid 90's. Then it disappeared from the WC events, and only came back 6 years ago, in the 6 rider, shorter distance format.

Men's ITT tonight. It'll be interesting with that climb in the middle of it. Dumoulin would have to be favourite, especially with his ability to hold it on the climb, but Rohan Dennis has improved his climbing a lot this season, and has made this 52km the focus of his season. Expect a great shootout between these 2 tonight.

Junior Men's was last night. A young Belgium rider, Remco Evenepoel covered the 27km nearly a minute and a half quicker than Australian Lucas Plapp to take the gold. The 18 year old has a contract with Quick-Step Floors next year. He only took up cycling last year after playing soccer for Belgium in the under 15s & under 16s. He won the Junior TT and RR at the European Championships recently. Seems a prodigy to watch.

• Like 1

Rohan Dennis with 1 minute at the top of the climb to Dumoulin. 17km to go. Could this be his year? And an Australian in the Rainbow Colours for the next 12 months (at least in TT's).

That's the first time an ITT has held my attention & I've watched the coverage the whole way through.

I just wish I could have slept in past 5:30 this morning. :yawn:

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

I really hope he NEVER tests positive for drugs.  That was a MASSIVE winning margin 

Video highlights here 

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/video/1330004547661/worlds-2018-dennis-v-dumoulin-itt-battle?cx_navSource=related-side-cx#cxrecs_s

Agreed, but Dumoulin won it by about a minute last year, and the course was only 30km. That works out a bigger margin for the length of the race. Dennis has put everything into winning the TT this year. Dumoulin has two 2nd places in Grand Tours this year. I suppose they go nicely with his two 2nd places in this year's WC.

Spartacus used to win by similar margins, or more, but then I wouldn't take that as the gold standard in clean riding.

On 26/09/2018 at 9:37 PM, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Junior Men's was last night. A young Belgium rider, Remco Evenepoel covered the 27km nearly a minute and a half quicker than Australian Lucas Plapp to take the gold. The 18 year old has a contract with Quick-Step Floors next year. He only took up cycling last year after playing soccer for Belgium in the under 15s & under 16s. He won the Junior TT and RR at the European Championships recently. Seems a prodigy to watch.

And last night he made the rest of the field look like beginners. With 70km to go was 2 minutes down on the leaders after an accident and a very slow wheel change. Not only did he catch them, but with 40km went with an attack off the front, then left them and rode the last 19km on his own to win by well over a minute. And that was with a roll in to the finish and walking across the line with his bike over his head.

Double world champion now after 18 months in the sport. 

On 24/09/2018 at 10:18 PM, Mike Del said:

What’s the team size and distance for the TTT?

4 x 100k or the same as grand tour

This year was actually the last Trade Team TT at the UCI Worlds.

Replacing it next year will be a Mixed TTT Relay in National Teams.

3 men will complete a 14km circuit. When the 2nd man crosses the line, the 3 women will head off on the same circuit, and the time is taken as the 2nd woman crosses the line.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

3 men will complete a 14km circuit. When the 2nd man crosses the line, the 3 women will head off on the same circuit, and the time is taken as the 2nd woman crosses the line.

Seriously?? 

7 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Seriously?? 

Maybe they saw how popular the mixed relay was with the ITU?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Maybe they saw how popular the mixed relay was with the ITU?

I think they do something similar at the Gran Fondo UCI races

17 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Might be interesting to set all 7 of them off together then take the time of the 2nd woman home....

47 minutes ago, Peter said:

Is the men’s tonight?

Women's tonight. Men's tomorrow.

Interestingly no-one is giving Sagan a chance. They are saying there's too much climbing, and they are all tipping Valverde. It's as if this course was designed specifically for him. After an 80km sojourn, they start the 7 x 24km Laps. Each lap has a climb of 7.9km at an average gradient of 5.7%, but there is a steep section of over 10%. Then on the final lap, only 8km from the end there is a short 2.8km climb, but it has an average gradient of 11.5%, and has sections up to 28%. That should endure there are no sprinters left with the final selection as they complete the fast downhill with several hairpins. 

A course built for the punchy climbers.

1 hour ago, Mike Del said:

I think they would be pretty brave to write off Sagan in any race

Agreed.

For once. :)

Watching the live feed at the moment.

Team Ireland ought to ask for a refund from the kit designer. Looks like Kermit racing in speedos.

11400B9A-E8F6-47E3-8D9E-459C36388131.jpeg

• Confused 1

Sagan off the back on the climb with 92km to go.

Maybe next year. Much better course for him in Harrogate.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

I'm going to hate watching pro-cycling this next year with that dirty cheating Spaniard in the rainbow jersey all season.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2018 at 10:51 AM, AA7 said:

I'm sure this one would be a nice bike to try on the trails.

http://www.mtbtestcentral.it/2018/10/30/ducati-mig-rr-by-thok/?fbclid=IwAR2Exrlp2_F78w0g9q-UdqxM1QrVZXSsCVYhNBZfXKM_ITngCBFQKCIv4lc

You'll have to use the translator.