Sign in to follow this  
FatPom

First proper MTB ride, eek!

A work mate and I are heading here tomorrow. He's very good at MTB racing and I'm a complete novice, ugh.  I'm hiring a DS mtb from the park (I think it's a Marin BU17 or summat like that). Forecast is for hurricane like winds and rain, what could possibly go wrong? :lol:

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/swinley-forest-mtb-everything-you-need-to-know

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

Farken harden up mate :D

And I want to see some serious air....cos I can get at least 6 inches worth.

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

7 hours ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Farken harden up mate :D

And I want to see some serious air....cos I can get at least 6 inches worth.

Not sure what I'm meant to be hardening up to? 😎

To day was torrential rain all morning and 8C but we rocked up and had a ball.  The guy I was with is a pretty accomplished mob race (XC mostly) and I followed his lines.  It was very cold and we when we started but soon warmed up.

Started with a green trail about 1.5kms which was fine, then about 40mins on a blue, then straight to red :lol:  I really enjoyed it, got used to the bike moving around a lot and after a while sussed that using the correct part of a berm to scrub speed is much more  efficient than braking.  Ground was sandy gravel, so a bit of a nightmare in this weather.

Found the hardest part was technical climbing where tree roots are across the whole trail, as they seemed to either end of the bike slide. Got caught out a couple of times by pedalling over small humps and hitting the pedal.  The bike had flat pedals, which were fine, except for descending, I found my trainers slipping forwards, which didn't give me the control I was after.

Anyway, my mate was very impressed with ability to keep up. (I'm sure he was going very easy) and the amount of standing water and tricky surface basically had him saying 'If you didn't crash today, you'll be flying on other days'.

Great fun, glad I could hand the bike back, but fcuk me dead, that washing machine will be surrendering from the mud!:surrender:

• Like 1

Yup Ian, technical climbing on rough or slippery surfaces is the hardest part of mtb I find.  Being clipped in helps a lot there....until you need to get your feet out in a hurry & can't, though I find my mtb cleats pop out much easier than road bike shoes.  Sometimes, they seem to know you are about to bite the dust & just come out without conscious effort.

Riding single track in the wet sucks.  Seriously slippery & everything gets trashed.

• Like 1