zed

When cassette installs...... go bad!

I've just installed a new cassette, going from a 10 speed 5700, 105 11-25 to 10 speed 5700 105 11-28 and it's not happy. Changing gears is fine, but it's fricking noisy, like it's not right. Cassette is on fine, not lose or anything.. ideas? Chain is newish.

I did some to find an extra spacer... but I had shit everywhere, so not sure which cassette it came from. I'll take it off and have another tinkle.

14 minutes ago, pieman said:

I have printed off every one of these things and use it every time... once bought a cassette from Ribble and it had 2 spacers in  one gap out of the box...

http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/ev/EV-CS-5700-3016.pdf

cheers that's awesome.

So there's two spacers, 13 and 2?

Maybe I'm missing a spacer, although when I've missed a spacer before the thing has been loose as. 

11 minutes ago, zed said:

cheers that's awesome.

So there's two spacers, 13 and 2?

Maybe I'm missing a spacer, although when I've missed a spacer before the thing has been loose as. 

2 should be fixed/joined to the locknut I think? Is it a new cassette? I'd probably pull it all apart and install piece by piece and make sure each cog is facing the right way as well (i think they are directional)

7 minutes ago, pieman said:

2 should be fixed/joined to the locknut I think? Is it a new cassette? I'd probably pull it all apart and install piece by piece and make sure each cog is facing the right way as well (i think they are directional)

yeah new cassette, I installed it from the box, so should be in order.

Was there a spacer between the hub and cassette? Is there one now? Or vice versa 

If you omit one that was there previously it can still be tightened up but everting will be moved inboard or outboard by half a mm making the previous adjustment not work nicely. 

59 minutes ago, willie said:

@Bored@work got one 😮 

As if his wife would rubber stamp that. 

Hes doing an Ironman next weekend and doesn’t even own a TT bike. (seriously)