Ironnerd

Chongqing 70.3 Cancelled Again

Chongqing 70.3, this weekend, has been cancelled. Like last year it has been cancelled at the last moment due to problems with local authorities.

Chongqing 70.3 had 30 slots to Kona and 50 slots for the 70.3 champs in Nice.

Two of my friends had trained really hard through a very wet Perth winter hoping to get a 70.3 champs slot.

No one will sign up for 2019, after two cancellations, no matter how many Kona spots they throw at it.

😥

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Chongqing 70.3, this weekend, has been cancelled. Like last year it has been cancelled at the last moment due to problems with local authorities.

Chongqing 70.3 had 30 slots to Kona and 50 slots for the 70.3 champs in Nice.

Two of my friends had trained really hard through a very wet Perth winter hoping to get a 70.3 champs slot.

No one will sign up for 2019, after two cancellations, no matter how many Kona spots they throw at it.

😥

That sucks. Seems like China is a bit whack at the moment, quite a few races, some lasting no more than a year...

BTW if your mates want to go to Nice and are based in Perth, they'll get a spot. It's not going to be popular, none of the Northern Hemisphere races are for West Aussies.

9 minutes ago, zed said:

That sucks. Seems like China is a bit whack at the moment, quite a few races, some lasting no more than a year...

BTW if your mates want to go to Nice and are based in Perth, they'll get a spot. It's not going to be popular, none of the Northern Hemisphere races are for West Aussies.

I think that a 70.3 race at iconic Nice followed by a European holiday will be very popular with Australians. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

I think that a 70.3 race at iconic Nice followed by a European holiday will be very popular with Australians. 

He said WEST Australians...

Nice is too hilly so cant draft it..

19 minutes ago, pieman said:

He said WEST Australians...

Nice is too hilly so cant draft it..

Pretty sure you'll fall off a cliff if you try cut the bike course short... There's also zero grass on the run so you cant cut across that either. So yeah I get why WA wont want it

50 minutes ago, Ironnerd said:

Going to be $$. Austria back in 2015 was basically anyone wants a spot gets one, same with Canada. Closer to home, more competitive. Taupo would be popular. 

Show up at roll-down for them to do a head count and then hand over your credit card is the usual procedure.  The romance of a holiday in France might encourage a few more with partners to show up but it would surprise me if you couldn't get a spot.

Jezz. Thats a long way to go to try for a spot. 

How much did they blow on that?

Got a wedding to go to in Germany the week before the 70.3 world champs in Nice.
Still undecided if we will go or not but if we do I was planning to either do 70.3 world champs in nice or Ironman Vichy the weekend before which is a qualifier for Kona 2020, with 70.3 champs on in Nice that should take a few of the faster guys out of the race...  Decisions decisions. 

26 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Got a wedding to go to in Germany the week before the 70.3 world champs in Nice.
Still undecided if we will go or not but if we do I was planning to either do 70.3 world champs in nice or Ironman Vichy the weekend before which is a qualifier for Kona 2020, with 70.3 champs on in Nice that should take a few of the faster guys out of the race...  Decisions decisions. 

Do both and hash tag the **** outta it 😎🤘😂😂

• Like 1

I signed up for the race last year and it was cancelled 7 days out. Ironman said they would help me out with refunds for flights - then never replied to my emails. Ended up with an entry toThailand instead which was a good substitute...

55 minutes ago, Aidan said:

I signed up for the race last year and it was cancelled 7 days out. Ironman said they would help me out with refunds for flights - then never replied to my emails. Ended up with an entry toThailand instead which was a good substitute...

Not going to help you now but can you get travel insurance and state you are going for a race and if it's cancelled you get a refund/credit on flights?

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Jezz. Thats a long way to go to try for a spot. 

How much did they blow on that?

Flights to China from Perth are cheaper than flights to NZ.

They were combining it with a holiday in China - Beijing, Great Wall, Terracotta warriors, etc Accommodation, food and travel is cheap in China.

I suspect that the total cost- flights, accommodation and food would be cheaper in China than flying to the east coast or NZ for a 70.3.

okay.  I get that.  I wouldnt get it if they were doing a hit and run on a race just to get a spot to the world champs.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Not going to help you now but can you get travel insurance and state you are going for a race and if it's cancelled you get a refund/credit on flights?

I got a partial refund from travel insurance but was still out of pocket for the excess. Ironman offered to help with this but then didn't reply to the emails. Flights to Chongqing were actually very cheap (maybe $500-$600 return from Melbourne), so it wasn't the money so much but the principle of following up on their offer.

• Like 1