more

Geelong 70.3

9 hours ago, -H- said:

Seeya there Whitey and Jez, I'm doing the swim for a team and then performing cheersquad duties

Will keep an eye out for you -H-

be gentle passing me on the swim 🏊‍♂️ 

• Haha 1

We've also put some extra measures in place to help cool you down on course...
1. Splash Zones - use these as an opportunity to cool down 👇 (see first comment)
2. Sprinklers - these will be installed between aid station as a quick refresher! 💦
3. We've upped the water and ice at each aid station to make sure you stay hydrated and cool all day long 🚰
4. ICE CREAM at the finish line in recovery 

Better than beer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

BOM only updates twice a day. At the moment weather channel is tipping 28. That's pretty good I reckon as I hope to be finished by 12 so it won't have peaked yet.

We will see but looking promising. 

Ice cream is excellent. 

On 12 February 2019 at 8:32 PM, ironpo said:

If it’s a howling northerly it would be 43 not 33 

33 is perfect for racing ,it’s far from hot 

Ironpro, we can get a howling northerly when it's only 25 degrees. The point is, it's shit to race in. The bike is bullshit and on the run the wind pisses you off because it gusts. Didn't say anything about heat because it can be 38 with a southwester and still ok for racing. M

its only my observation and comment and I don't give a rats anyway because Im not racing and will be in the Shakey isles attending a rock festival with some old friends from the music industry. 

Probably not worth the bandwidth it's presented with but for those interested...

Looking pretty good

12349AE8-8C43-4728-8255-BF75B5747E94.png

Looks unreal. 3 km hr winds at 11am. 

Expect the pros to go sub 3.40

• Like 1

Now a rolling swim start.

SWIM COURSE UPDATE 🏊
Due to a large number of sea urchins currently calling the calm waters of Geelong home, we have made a few changes to the swim course to ensure our athlete's safety...
1. The swim course will now be a rolling wave start for all athletes. 
2. The entrance to the swim course (and into the water) will be a narrow lined entry route with rubber mats to ensure safe entry to the water

The FAQS 👇

So what time do I start? 
Your start wave remains the same, however, the rolling entrance will allow athletes to enter in a cleared path of water to the swim course.

Will this affect my time? 🤔
No. Your start time will be measured from when you cross over the timing mats.

Will this cause more crowding during the swim? 😬
Nope. If anything, this should stagger the swim entry and spread out the athletes on course.

More questions?
Head to the Q&A with your Race Director Jake at 12.30pm

Edited by JeffS

2 hours ago, Peter said:

It is what it is.  It will be like lemmings. 

Will be fun actually. Not done a rolling start. 

So many bikes. I feel drafting will be difficult to avoid in sections. 

Finally, after walking between registration and bike check in a couple times, I really want the run reduced in compensation. So far! 😂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, humdrum said:

No wind up here whatsoever!

Thanks for the yell out.  

It got hot for the run. 

Swim and bike went well for me but the run was a disaster.  Ive been crook and at T2 things got interesting. 

I had to do a poo and couldnt get my tri suit back on. Took 3 women helping me.  Tipping they regretted standing there handing water out.   

And i sweated heaps today.  Pic  

Still sub 6 so it was okay. Not the sub 5:30 i was after.  But given i dont really train, I cant complain.  

85425788-8C1B-4401-8D79-3C27A5721E3A.jpeg

7436B4A2-E6FF-4767-8E4B-93C2CB62537C.jpeg

Edited by Peter
  • Like 4

Btw josh Am did amazing given he had a bike issue just out of T1 that took him about 5 minutes to fix.  

He didn't have a tyre pop in transition due to the heat or something ;);)

I can't begin to imagine why a tri suit would ever take more than one person, let alone an additional three volunteers 😮😂

My support crew got confused and went back to bed, had to get some vollies to get me in my wetsuit!

Run did get hot. I was probably the splash zones most loyal client. Every. Single. One.

Started the run on fire. Reality soon hit and suffered. Sub 1:30 for the run (very happy) 

2:35 for the bike

35 for the swim.

4:47 all up.

The amount of running in transition (particularly from swim to bike mount) was outrageous!

Swim was great (love the rolling start) and it made the bike very very manageable. Very little congestion.

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, goughy said:

He didn't have a tyre pop in transition due to the heat or something ;);)

Haha. His etap broke. 

• Sad 1

I went sub 6 just 😎 very happy. Absolutely wrecked now, sitting in the spa try g to not fall asleep and drown...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, dazaau said:

I can't begin to imagine why a tri suit would ever take now than one person, let alone an additional the volunteers 😮😂

My support crew hour confused and went back to bed, had to get some vollies to get me in my wetsuit!

Run did get hot. I was probably the splash zones most loyal client. Every. Single. One.

Started the run on fire. Reality soon hit and suffered. Sub 1:30 for the run (very happy) 

35 for the swim.

The amount of running in transition (particularly from swim to bike mount) was outrageous!

Swim was great (love the rolling start) and it made the bike very very manageable. Very little congestion.

Jeepers u quick!!! Well done!!

• Thanks 1

Well the day started well. Woke up at 3:30 to allow enough time for a strong coffee to get evey thing moving. Two nervous poos later I was on the road.

It was not untiI got into to transition that it occurred to me it would be pitch black and a torch would be handy..ah well went by feel and was all good.

Pretty nervous before the swim but the staggered start was a god send and spread everyone out nicely. I was pleasantly surprised how polite every one was-whenever there some some bumping or hitting you could tell people did their best to separate without hitting you again. Did have one joker pull my foot though which I actually found really funny for some reason.

Direction keeping wasn't to bad, ended up swimming an additional 100m.

On to the bike and wasn't to bad except for the start-dropped the chain twice on the flat and a third time going up the hill leaving transition, WTF I have no idea what or why...my I was cross chaining too much with my nerves... So any way sections of the road were like glass, other section like a jackhammer. There were TONS of bottles ejected everywhere, even saw a couple of cages. Plenty of drafting going on  but it didn't worry me, I was only racing myself.

There was one wanker though that kept getting in front of me and then slowing down to about 25ks, so i make a move and then sure enough about 15 mins later he would come flying past and then slow down again. Must have burnt all his matches because he was walking on the first lap and finished a long way behind me.

Onto the run and started off feeling really really good, so good that I was talking and joking with anyone that looked like they could talk. Ran out of gells and decided to try one of the on course ones-omfg what was that crap? Had the consistency of thick clag, spat that out and had some electrolyte mix, omfg what was that craps? Tasted like petrol. Stuck to the water and coke..

Heart rate was keeping in check and pace was o.k, then sure enough at about the 10k mark bam, I was in a world of pain. Quads were on the verge of cramping with every step and i was just spent.

Managed to run and walk the aid stations and hills though which seemed to work. Thankfully I sucked it up on the last few ks and picked it back up to finish in 5:59:05....56 more seconds and I would have been pretty pissed with myself.

All in all had a ball, definitely need more training though. When an old fella who gets stuck in a portaloo for half an hour and needs 3 people to rescue him can beat you it's shows your unfit  eh Pete  (joking 😆)

Honourable mention to all the guys and girls I saw that would have easily been over 100kgs-man they would have been in a world of pain.

Also to the Asian guy I saw in casualish shorts, t-shirt and casual sneakers lol I don't know what the hell he was thinking but he would have had blisters on top of blisters 🤔😬

Edited by more
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Was there ever a great AGer as Kevin Fergusson ?

Swim 26:35; ride 2:20; run 1:38.Total time  - 4:30:18. 53 overall.

Not a bad effort for a 60/64 AGer.

FM

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Lost in transition said:

I had no idea the course changed.  My last race was 2014 there when it was 35 degrees in the morning,  and blowing 50km winds. 

The new course seems much much faster.  

The bike is better.  And the run doesn’t go thru the gardens anymore.  

But the other direction towards melbourne for the run goes up the hill on a climb that goes forever.  It’s a shame it doesn’t go in reverse.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, more said:

There was one wanker though that kept getting in front of me and then slowing down to about 25ks, so i make a move and then sure enough about 15 mins later he would come flying past and then slow down again

Dollars to donuts his recap is you ruining his pacing and forcing him to blow up on the run :D

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Dollars to donuts his recap is you ruining his pacing and forcing him to blow up on the run :D

Lol that would br funny,  but he wasn't maintaining 25ks,  it's like he would have these bursts of energy flake out rinse repeat.

Every time I passed him id ook back after a while and he would be almost out of sight, then come flying  back after 15 mins ol

• Haha 1

Had my best ever swim, OK bike and shit run. Crossed the line 3rd in my age group, but a competitor who started a few minutes behind me in the rolling start beat my time by 9 secs moving me to 4th.

Only 3 slots in my age group, but luckily the 3rd place athlete didn't turn up to Rolldown so I snared the last spot.

Wife managed to get a spot as part of the extra 25 slots for women (Women in Tri). So we are both going to Nice. But now she's thinking we shouldn't do the ITU Worlds in Lausanne (she wasn't expecting to qualify for Nice).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Amberger rocking sweatband and oversized glasses, and has belter of a race. German heritage maybe? 

21 hours ago, dazaau said:

I can't begin to imagine why a tri suit would ever take more than one person, let alone an additional three volunteers 😮😂

My support crew got confused and went back to bed, had to get some vollies to get me in my wetsuit!

35 for the swim.

Very good time on that course, especially the run. 

3 hours ago, Crowies crushed nuts said:

Very good time on that course, especially the run. 

Thanks! I think a fair bit of my comeback success can be attributed to the 12.5kg lost on the biggest loser comp here. Nothing slows you down like weight! 

• Like 3

So - Mini report from me.

This year was a little interesting. Geelong to me feels like a home race, I spent a lot of my formative years in Geelong, most of my family were born and raised in Geelong, and many of them are still living down there. My parents have retired to Torquay, so not that far away from the race. My mothers birthday is the 16th Feb, so this weekend is awesome, drive down to Torquay on Friday, see Mum for her birthday, knockout a good race, then drive home Monday. This was to be my 6th Geelong 70.3. Over the last 6 months, my mothers elder brother has been fading, we had news earlier in the week he was now sedated, not eating anymore, and was expected to maybe last another 1-2 weeks. 

Friday afternoon, we arrived in Torquay, and was greeted by Dad with the news that my Uncle died while we were packing the car that morning. Not the best start for the weekend, or a good lead in for Mum's birthday.  Both of my parents have commented that it was good to have me around this weekend, a little bit of a distraction, and an extra set of shoulders to carry the burden. The rest of Friday and Saturday was taken up with seeing family and friends (And a quick shakedown run and ride, and found my front wheel had developed valve issues, which I was able to rectify before checking in the bike.)

Sunday dawned, and before that we were up, it is around a 20min drive including finding a carpark on race day from their place, not too bad, but I wouldn't want to stay too much further out. a quick in and out of transition, dropping off shoes and helmet, and putting in a little more air to the front wheel (latex tubes, but only a 30psi drop overnight, as expected.) Went for a bathroom break and then wandered over to the startline to see off the pro's. And then a bit more wandering and watched @hey_burgs come flying out of the water. then I decided getting out of street clothes and getting into the wetsuit might be a good idea. Into the corral, eventually. The swim start was... okay, 10mins after our official wave start time we finally got to start moving into the water. The two things that I remember from the swim - I need to work out a better way of making sure my googles don't fog up (specifically when we have a beach start - I ended up stopping about 600m in, and just dunked them through, and lived with some water in the lenses and my eyes for the rest of the swim - maybe I should have left them off, and run them through the water during my entry) The other thing I remember is that I really REALLY dislike rolling starts, I am just gunshy about getting to close to another set of feet unless I have had it pass me, I jump around a lot and wont just jump to the next set due to bad memories about concussion and IMMelb2015 - so many slower people in front swimming randomly, then trying to just go around. ended up swimming further than I would have liked, but was still out of the water in under 34mins.

Now there are many skills that some people say you should have to do well in Tri. The one skill I don't have is the ability to pee while swimming, it just doesn't work for me. so out of the water and into the portapotty. at which point, I just stood and watched it flow for what felt like ages (Garmin says 1min40s, which is 5 age group places and 10 places overall that I lost just to a little trickle) - oh well, water under the bridge, as they say. Out onto the bike, and time to fly. And people did, specifically, the pros did, straight past me out onto their second lap. Only one hair raising moment, coming back in on the first lap, get passed by Caroline Steffen, and 12meters later, the female in 2nd. At which point in time I was passing, and they were passing me, unfortunately, the person I was about to pass didn't bother to look, and jumped out in front of me, I had 4 choices, hard left, cut up a rider, and then off the road, straight into the back of the numpty, or hard right into the female currently in 3rd. I chose option for, brake HARD and swear, while apologizing to the female pro (And staying out of her way). - Numpty didn't seem to twig that anything happened behind him, and he obliviously continued to slowly make his pass. Found a space, and left him far behind. Two things to really be happy about. Firstly - on this bike course, ~13min PB.  averaged 179w for 2h45m46s. Second? I wanted to keep riding, would have been more than happy for another lap (or two) Most years, even with a longer race soon on the calendar, I have just wanted to get off and get it done.

Run Leg - So I am a bad runner, yes, I know this. And I know why - I just don't run enough. Riding to work is fine, but a 30k round trip means running somewhat regularly is beyond what I can manage atm. I will be trying to increase my weekly distance up to 40-50k over then next 2 months, which I am hoping will make a difference.  Plan? see how the legs feel after the bike. expected time?2h15m +- 5mins. Started a nice easy pace straight out of transition, watch beeped at me after a km to say 5m43s - way too fast (well, they do say, if it feels easy, you are still going to fast)   hit the first rise coming into western beach and decided I was either going to be walking the hills, or walking the last 10km. And so started my run walk session. Walked the hills, walked the aid stations, and just kept it easy for the rest. My parents were out on course cheering every lap, which was really nice to see and hear, personal support rocks. Even better, it felt like every lap, they had another member of the extended family out and cheering with them. Ended up nearly running over a family who entered the race course next to the eastern beach pavilion, I managed to dodge, but the girl behind me ended up having to stop as the 6? of them just piled onto the bitumen.  oh well. 2 km to go at that stage, not a bad time for the HR to spike. Ended up with a 2h17 'run' and overall, 5h47m. Very happy with that, last year was 6h16m and my best on that course. And the run gives me a good place to look and focus on for next year. Lets see if I can break 5h30m next time :D

Yesterday was the drive home, and then the unfortunate flight on Friday morning when I get to visit again and go to the funeral.

Swings and roundabouts, I guess.

• Like 5

Nice report! For fogging goggle I've found a drop or two of morning fresh rub around and rinsed out does the job nicely.

52 minutes ago, more said:

Nice report! For fogging goggle I've found a drop or two of morning fresh rub around and rinsed out does the job nicely.

I tried something new this time. I put my Google's into a zip lock bag with baby shampoo and water a few hours before the revd and then rinsed them out very briefly under the drinking water before lining up. In all my years I have never had such clear unfogged vision throughout the swim, highly recommend. 

• Like 1

On 19/02/2019 at 5:47 PM, dazaau said:

I tried something new this time. I put my Google's into a zip lock bag with baby shampoo and water a few hours before the revd and then rinsed them out very briefly under the drinking water before lining up. In all my years I have never had such clear unfogged vision throughout the swim, highly recommend. 

interesting, will have to try this.

On 19/02/2019 at 2:47 PM, dazaau said:

water to shampoo ratio?

3 minutes ago, KieranR said:

water to shampoo ratio?

Seriously just try putting a drop or two of dish washing detergent on the lens, rub around and rinse out. I normally do this before a swim but even for the race did it the night before and didn't have even the slightest amount of fog. Id imagine using a drop or two of baby shampoo does the same thing.

I learnt this from scuba diving and found it better than the rubbish we used to buy that was specifically designed to prevent fog!

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

water to shampoo ratio?

I'm not that scientific. One blob's/squirt/pumps worth :)  (not very much - but I doubt you can put "too much" in)

Edited by dazaau

PSA

The 70.3 towel leaks black ink like an octopus in fear of its life. 

Beware!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1