more

Geelong 70.3

So who’s doing it in Feb 2019? I booked ages ago and can’t wait! Still plenty of time to improve my fitness by then hopefully 😁

It's just down the road. So I will be there to compete or spectate and chuck empty stubbies at Pete! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Greyman said:

It's just down the road. So I will be there to compete or spectate and chuck empty stubbies at Pete! 

At least the target won’t be moving that fast so an old guy like you has a chance at hitting me. 

Btw. You need to request a name change. 

Greyman to whiteman. Your hair is no longer grey. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

At least the target won’t be moving that fast so an old guy like you has a chance at hitting me. 

Btw. You need to request a name change. 

Greyman to whiteman. Your hair is no longer grey. 

Yeah like " Whiteman" isn't going to attract the PC nazis who will want to hang me at dawn for being racist! 

Theres a thought, go onto Slowtwits and register as Whiteman and see what fire you draw.

• Haha 1

You want to draw fire go on there like yoyo used to and ask when will the next yank male win kona.  That pisses them off.

• Haha 1

Same, wife and myself have signed up. 8 month old son... It's gonna be tough

• Like 1

8 hours ago, micka said:

Same, wife and myself have signed up. 8 month old son... It's gonna be tough

Had some friemds that did it with 3 kids. Dont think they saw each other in 4 months. 

Its all time management. 

Didnt think maybe on does geelong amd the other challenge Melbourne a few weeks later?

1 minute ago, Peter said:

Didnt think maybe on does geelong amd the other challenge Melbourne a few weeks later?

They would still be doing the bulk of their training at the same time, the main advantage would be on race day when one can race and the other can spectate with the kid.  At least this way they only have one trip interstate.

There is no challenge Melbourne this year right? All they say is the date is tbc and there will be sprint and "middle distance" races. Doesn't sound like a 70.3.

I'm keen to race this season but I'm really choking on the almost $450 entry fee to Geelong. Oh for a discount and I'd commit. I just feel bad spending that coin on an afternoon out.

I might just go swim in the local lake, ride 90k and run 21 😂

I was only talking to them last week and there is going to be a Challenge Melb.

They just aren't sure if the course transition and finish will be St Kilda or down in Green Point.

2 minutes ago, Peter said:

I was only talking to them last week and there is going to be a Challenge Melb.

They just aren't sure if the course transition and finish will be St Kilda or down in Green Point.

Will it be a half iron distance though? It's the sprint and "middle distance" that had me confused. Surely 2/90/21 is long course? 

I'll also have a 1 month old baby in April so I guess a race before the baby is due appeals more! 

I would do Challenge Melbourne if it wasn't so late in the season.

Firstly Melbourne weather is more likely to be cold and wet in April. But a bigger factor is that I'm usually 'over' triathlon well before April. My enthusiasm starts to wane late Feb, which is why I like the timing of Geelong.

Most seasons I take a 6 week break and start training again around the first week of May.

Interested in what you didn't like about the Geelong run course.

I've raced there 6 times. Admittedly the course has changed over the years and I didn't race it in 2018, but I've never had a problem with the run course at Geelong

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I found the main problem with the run course is that it is in Geelong.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I've raced there 6 times. Admittedly the course has changed over the years and I didn't race it in 2018, but I've never had a problem with the run course at Geelong

Both turnarounds finished with an uphill. 

29 minutes ago, Wronggenes said:

I found the main problem with the run course is that it is in Geelong.

I actually like Eastern Beach at Geelong. My wife and I always take Monday off work so that we can relax and enjoy Sunday night and Monday morning in Geelong.

27 minutes ago, Crowies crushed nuts said:

Both turnarounds finished with an uphill. 

It is definitely not a flat course (bike or run). But other than the short ramp up to Eastern Park, I don't find any of the hills too bad. And you get good crowd support for a lot of the run course.

But with several Victorian Half Ironmans to choose from (Shep, Geelong, Melbourne), you can pick the one(s) that suit you best

7 hours ago, Crowies crushed nuts said:

Did Geelong last year, didn't enjoy the run course at all. Doubt I'll go back. 

I've been racing races of various distances at eastern beach in Geelong for 30 years and love it. It has a mix of everything. You must be hard to please.

While I preferred the older run course (laps of the gardens), the new run course is fine, and more accessible for those less able.

What are the chances of Nice spots rolling a long way?

I'm keep to go to the 70.3 champs. I emailed IM trying to transfer my legacy spot to the half but haven't heard back.

5 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

What are the chances of Nice spots rolling a long way?

I'm keep to go to the 70.3 champs. I emailed IM trying to transfer my legacy spot to the half but haven't heard back.

new bike then?

Roadie - it's Nice and then I can roll the Alps afterwards.

My buddy got a spot at Waco on the weekend. He's paying my airfares & accommodation if I can get a spot. Then we are going to do a week cycling afterwards.

The hardest part for me is trying to convince my wife to respect the rules of a boys trip.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Bored@work said:

The hardest part for me is trying to convince my wife to respect the rules of a boys trip.

Let her do the Riviera while you are off cycling.

3 hours ago, Bored@work said:

She won't travel solo.

Pay for me. I’ll go with her. 

• Haha 1

My wife will not place very high in her age group. So I am hoping not all slots will be taken up and she will be affectively gifted one. So anyone hoping to qualify for Nice - pick another race.

On 31/10/2018 at 8:46 AM, dazaau said:

There is no challenge Melbourne this year right? All they say is the date is tbc and there will be sprint and "middle distance" races. Doesn't sound like a 70.3.

I'm keen to race this season but I'm really choking on the almost $450 entry fee to Geelong. Oh for a discount and I'd commit. I just feel bad spending that coin on an afternoon out.

I might just go swim in the local lake, ride 90k and run 21 😂

Well, I've paid my hard earned and entered! 

Truth is I'm really looking forward to it, been way too long. Last half was Ballarat in Dec 2015 I think! 😮 

Now I've lost some weight and gotten reasonably fit again, bring it on. Just got to work through my running injury with caution. Stupid legs.

Last time I did Geelong it was full of jelly fish - not keen for a repeat of that :lol:

Edited by dazaau
  • Like 1