TUv5.0

Gidday

Good to see you back even fleetingly. I agree with your summary of social media etc 100%..

All the best with whatever riding, surfing etc you are able to do..

• Like 1

Good to hear from you Jabbs.

It's hard to disagree about social media - I have regular sabbaticals myself. Regardless, I hope you drop in now and then and add some wisdom to the place, even if just in the SandBox.

• Like 1

Good to hear from you again Tony, and glad things are going well with you & your son.

Take care, and don't be a stranger.

You're pretty good at selfie taking for a non social media user 🤣🤣

Good to hear from you.

• Like 1

.....oh so I just checked. Ive been banned for five years. And I was banned at my own request. True story. 

1 minute ago, TUv5.0 said:

.....oh so I just checked. Ive been banned for five years. And I was banned at my own request. True story. 

New owners. You could probably pull a swifty if you wanted to. :)

• Haha 1

Great to hear from you Jabbs, I have often wondered how you are travelling.

We seem to be moving in parallel universes as after my fall from triathlon, I also got into MTB and busted a collarbone.  But is is way much more fun.

I hear you about road cycling.  I can now do a little again, and there are just too many @#$%ers out there who hate anyone on a pushy, even out here in the sticks where you are basically no hindrance to them at all.

Sadly job retirement is still a way off for me.

You're still as good lookin as ever Jabbs! Good stuff, you and the kid rode past me when I was running up in Thredbo, I didn't realise until you were too far away to say hello. Got to be honest, didn't expect to see you on a MTB in the hills! 

34 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

Hola Jabs!

when is MMW and CJMacca making a comeback? I miss those guys as well ...

Please don't I have enough on my plate without getting sued (some more) :o 

Hello Jabbs, nice to hear from you. Your son is so grown up. I remember your first Xmas with him on your own and you watched the movie ‘Cars’ about 10 times. I often think of you when I see that title.

I have one of my own now, female variety, she’s 4 and can stand up on a board. 

Interesting what you say about tri/running and MTB, going through a similar thought pattern myself. Would love to hear more about  how you transitioned ( boom boom) over.

Ha yeah... as for the mountain biking thing - just ride your bike, be a big kid. Its fun. The bikes are amazingly capable. I dont give a rats about pinning a number on. In Thredbo you have the chairlift, other places you have shuttles, or you can ride up to the top. The climb at Ourimbah from the carpark is a 20-25 min grovel pedaling in the 32x50 (yeah I have 12 speed SRAM but will be getting new Shimano soon). 

The skills required have to be developed, you have to get comfortable going off jumps, getting your seat down and your weight back, and whatever you do dont touch the ****ing front brake. 

The whole scene itself reminds me of triathlon back in the day, its very gravity and trail focused, very friendly and beer drinking, less serious, but having said that the skills required are far greater than riding along on a dead flat bike course and running around on the same course. Honestly, the XC people and tight lyrcra are a diminishing species.

The XC courses themselves now are becoming more and more technical, watch Nino the freak on redbull TV the other week and you will see how technical it actually is. DH is the most spectacular and TV friendly part of MTB and it has personalities and rivalries. The Enduro world series has a qualifying series now and thats the 'pedal up' ride back down for time stuff. Sam Hill won the world series last year and I think he is leading again this year. 

Diamonds from here is also an MTB convert. 

What I see in triathlon these days is its just a cash business and there seems to be a lack of credibility to it being honest. Just people bleeding it dry and unless you are in the ITU machine no sustainability. A race here and there with no regular schedule and no regular pay day isnt sustainable for a second tier pro - the ones that push the top level to perform better. 

Another thing about MTB is tyre pressure, I run about 26 psi in the front and about 30 in the back, I run a 2.5 (wide) on the front and a 2.4 on the back. Dont put too much pressure in your tyres. 

So instead of 'training' for something you are just riding to enjoy it. Fancy that.  

Edited by TUv5.0
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TUv5.0 said:

What I see in triathlon these days is its just a cash business and there seems to be a lack of credibility to it being honest. Just people bleeding it dry and unless you are in the ITU machine no sustainability. A race here and there with no regular schedule and no regular pay day isnt sustainable for a second tier pro - the ones that push the top level to perform better. 

People are trying to change this... Me being one of them.

• Thanks 1

Great stuff tony 

next time in bright give me a yell for a catch up 

ypu can have a go on my fat bike 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had almost given up hope that I would see the day Jabbs returned. But there you go! Great to hear you are doing well

Jabbs, you've still got a rough head. Good to see you finally enjoying life. The time spent with your boy mountain biking etc is priceless. Done the same with my son. We used to laugh at each other's crashes and still do a few years later. The bikes and beers thing is good. We tried some night time mountain biking two summers ago. Pretty wild and the beers afterwards were good. 

You should do a road trip with your boy down to Victoria and check out the mountain biking and surfing down around Bells Beach and Lorne in late summer sometime.

Funny you should mention Victoria. My biological mother who I only met in 2006 lives in Mornington just back from the beach on a little farm with a cottage, when I have stayed there I have gone and done the Arthurs Seat loop riding down to Dromana and up Arthurs, and am looking forward to now going down there with Alex and riding the trails around Arthurs seat, the new chairlift has a trial period for MTB's and Red Hill riders run an Enduro. 

Similarly, either on that trip or the next we are going to hop on the ferry and go to Tassie, ride Derby and Maydena. I was fortunate to be introduced to Glen Jacobs who is for those who dont know the owner of World Trail and in the Mountain Bike Hall of fame. He is responsible for Maydena and some epic MTB parks all over the world. He has a link to triathlon in the very early days of the sport, I did the 1985 Cairns Coral Coast race (Nick Crofts' first triathlon), I actually travelled up to the race with the late Richie Walker, and we were introduced to a central figure in the history of triathlon in Australia, John Covacevich, who was close friends with Glenn Jacobs. 

Having travelled a little bit I think Australia has so much more to offer than many other places in the world and so much of it most of us never see. I thought Glenn who, as a very successful businessman but also a very environmentally conscious guy would be against E Mtb's but he was a huge supporter of them, the point he raised was they offer the most minimal environmental impact of any type of uplift device i.e. chairlifts and shuttles require environmental disruption. On the EMtb thing, trust me no matter how good you are, there are climbs you simply cannot pedal up and even if you hop off and push you can only do one or two runs back down, a lot of the gravity focused trails are upwards of 4km long and have grades of over 30 percent, the climb up the hero trail at Bright is a one hour climb (but soooo worth it for the ride back down - trust me)...

A pleasant up side of this is if you want to do long aerobic based climbs for fitness you can disappear into the bush for hours and just have fun. We are definitely going back to Bright this summer love the place. 

To get back to triathlon, I did watch the CG's and the relay concept was awesome, genuinely exciting and required people to actually ride their bikes rather than it just being a procession. As a point of interest a NSW Police team of Ric Pallister, Shane Floyd and yours truly won the first ever such race in Australia, the BRW relay triathlon at Narrabeen Lakes in the late 80's or early 90's. We won a trip to NZ each from memory. The corporate types were a bit filthy as I think we won the thing by about 20 minutes. It was 750/20/5 x 3. From memory Pinhead went first, swam away from the mob and that was the last they saw of us all day. 

• Like 1

To get back to triathlon, I did watch the CG's and the relay concept was awesome, genuinely exciting and required people to actually ride their bikes rather than it just being a procession. As a point of interest a NSW Police team of Ric Pallister, Shane Floyd and yours truly won the first ever such race in Australia, the BRW relay triathlon at Narrabeen Lakes in the late 80's or early 90's. We won a trip to NZ each from memory. The corporate types were a bit filthy as I think we won the thing by about 20 minutes. It was 750/20/5 x 3. From memory Pinhead went first, swam away from the mob and that was the last they saw of us all day. 

Awesome stuff Jabs!

• Like 1

..........and Jabbs rides off into the sunset again (at his own request)  

See ya for a burrito soon mate. 

1 hour ago, nealo said:

was it something I said :lol::fear:

Im sure it wasn't. Although I'm sure on a totally unrelated note he did ask me for your address!!! :lol: 

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, roxii said:

Im sure it wasn't. Although I'm sure on a totally unrelated note he did ask me for your address!!! :lol: 

:lol: