prizna

DISCS banned ITU gc tomorrow

Seriously shit decision. 

What if you don’t have an alternative.will they turn you away after all you have been through to get there? 

You can use a 90mm front but not a disc rear. I know what I would feel safer on. 

• Like 3

From the comments, many people don't have another option.

• Sad 1

What about Tesm Australia “athlete support” that you pay the big bucks for?? :lol: 

• Haha 1

I stupidly forgot to bring Mr BogFrog's shallow front wheel - mine is a 49cm caden and I get blown around on it. DOH!  

Edited by BogFrog

The weather forecast looked dodgy earlier in the week but started to clear up a few days ago. The wind wasn't due until later in the day. But the forecast changed a few hours ago so not sure if we can be blaming the race organizers for the late decision...

If you are over 75kg you’d be fine on a disc. 

Maybe triathlon should just ban discs fullstop. 

If you have no other option just use it and get a dq. 

Youve paid a lot of money to get there. 

Shit decision by the race organisers IM (btw).

would not be surprised if they got sued

i mean the bikes are already racked and less than 12 hrs to race start they pull this one that no one suspected???

my bike is going to look pretty crap (and handle similarly) with a zipp 1080 on the front and a borrowed alloy training wheel on the back ( assuming I can get the gears to work)

not to mentioned the lost sleep

are they intent on destroying the AG race so they can only have Pro races at ITU events

maybe they should just take their World Cup series someplace else an let us have our non drafting world champs for real people back

6 hours ago, BogFrog said:

The weather forecast looked dodgy earlier in the week but started to clear up a few days ago. The wind wasn't due until later in the day. But the forecast changed a few hours ago so not sure if we can be blaming the race organizers for the late decision...

Respectfully disagree (as you know already). Lots of weather apps around that are not real accurate. The two I have been following are the official BOM forecast and a website called Seabreeze. They have had the high wind forecast for several days. I was chatting to people about it at the team dinner on Thu night.

And now they are offering those athletes who can’t source a wheel a separate start time 8:44 so they can borrow wheels from people in earlier waves - triple WTF - do they not understand the concept of racing - at that time the wind will be stronger so their times will be affected by not only wind but current ....

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

And now they are offering those athletes who can’t source a wheel a separate start time 8:44 so they can borrow wheels from people in earlier waves - triple WTF - do they not understand the concept of racing - at that time the wind will be stronger so their times will be affected by not only wind but current ....

Wow

41 minutes ago, Cat Lady said:

The wind is actually predicted to drop for a little while when it changes direction to a strong SE/SW. Currently blowing from the north.

It's so windy here in port this morning that I took my 40mm rear off and put my kickr on it.  No joke.

Accept and adapt people.

Get out there and get it done.  

32 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

It's so windy here in port this morning that I took my 40mm rear off and put my kickr on it.  No joke.

Accept and adapt people.

Get out there and get it done.  

Easy to accept and adapt if you have a spare wheel with you and don’t have to source one at 8:00pm the night before a race ... 

So what is the wind like down the ATM?  It was a bit blowy at my place up this hill, bit not horrible.

Saying that, this isn't any ordinary race, and not ordinary level schmo's like me who qualified!  I wouldn't take a disc to a Gatorade race without having a backup option since banning them is something that can happen.  You'd think this level of athlete at this level of race would cover all eventualities?

I'm here watching the race start from 10th floor right in front of the swim start.

I can literally see NO movement at all, there is ZERO wind at the moment, it is THE perfect day for a triathlon to be held.

Blows my mind that these decisions are mate at the eleventh hour (note they also changed rules around aero helmets for the sprint the day before the race), and that they think it is acceptable to offer a "separate" wave start for those affected. What a joke!

34 minutes ago, goughy said:

Saying that, this isn't any ordinary race, and not ordinary level schmo's like me who qualified!  I wouldn't take a disc to a Gatorade race without having a backup option since banning them is something that can happen.  You'd think this level of athlete at this level of race would cover all eventualities?

Disc covers may make a resurgence.

I think the same - if you re travelling a loooong way and have invested a lot in a race, it might pay to have a Plan B.  Discs do get banned if it's windy.   Has happened before. 

Youre taking a chance on having your day ruined. Yes the probability is low - but the consequences are significant.  Hence a high risk choice. 

But what kind of joke is the separate wave with a later start?  It's for those that couldn't source a spare non-disc wheel, but could make arrangements to "borrow" a wheel of someone from an earlier wave so that when they finished the bike leg, you went t their bike, took the wheel, put it on your own bike, tuned it up, and rode your race.   Seriously?  Debacle.   For a WC's, they better havetheir lawyers ready. 

1 hour ago, goughy said:

100% agree. 

1 hour ago, goughy said:

You'd think this level of athlete at this level of race would cover all eventualities?

30 minutes ago, mhvh said:

100% agree. 

A lot of people have flown in for this one, and it's hard enough fitting all the gear you need to race in, let alone spare wheels and helmets.