Nick777

New Mountain Bike - Recommendations?

Hi folks, I'm going to ease back into cycling, and thought I'd get a 'cheap' mountain bike (first one ever), mainly for commuting the ~20k to work & back a couple of times a week.

Any recommendations?

If its just for commuting 20k now, why a mountain bike? Would be slower and heavier. 

Maybe a CX bike? Gives you some gravel options but still quick enough on a road commute. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bought a flat bar road bike for the same reason as you Nick.  

Was great for a couple of years until I splurged on a full set ....... Mountain Bike - Road Bike - TT Bike. 

mmmmm ...... CX bike.... that would be nice :-)

Edited by Mike Del
  • Haha 1

Mid level carbon hard rail 29’er - what you loose in speed you gain in control. A great option for mixed terrain and in traffic. I’d focus on Giant, Polygon or Norco to start search. 

16 minutes ago, Turts said:

If its just for commuting 20k now, why a mountain bike? Would be slower and heavier. 

Maybe a CX bike? Gives you some gravel options but still quick enough on a road commute. 

Nick I was going to ask the same as Turts and also suggest a CX, unless you are looking at doing some MTB on weekends?

I use my CX for commuting and just updated my partner from a flat bar roadie to cx for her daily 25k commute, she's loving it.

If for commuting on bike path, then a alloy frame, 29 inch wheels, low spec gears will start you off. 

I paid 1100 for a polygon xstrada 7.0 earlier this year.  Hardtail and I bloody love it.  Even did a six hour race on it.  For $1100 I’m very happy with it

Get a CX bike. Second hand with canti brakes around $500. Will do a great job.

I have a Reid Terra Elite MTB and I do use it for commuting and I think its pretty good bang for buck. 

On 15/09/2018 at 9:35 AM, Nick777 said:

Any recommendations?

I got a Giant Talon for this very purpose, XMAS last year.

I used it for double duty a bit - commuting and trail rides on the weekend.

Now, I've gone with slicks on it and haven't had it off road in forever.

Now I'm thinking about getting the real cheap slick tyre flat pedal commuter or leaving my talon as the commuter and getting a dualie/29er for trails.

My recommendation - get something as good as allows that will be fit for purpose.

3 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Now I'm thinking about getting the real cheap slick tyre flat pedal commuter or leaving my talon as the commuter and getting a dualie/29er for trails.

I'd do this, I have a MTB with slicks as my commuter (I can jump gutters, hit stuff etc) and then have a really nice dually for off road (about to trade it in for a Felt MTB) 

On 15/09/2018 at 3:37 PM, JeffS said:

Nick I was going to ask the same as Turts and also suggest a CX, unless you are looking at doing some MTB on weekends?

I use my CX for commuting and just updated my partner from a flat bar roadie to cx for her daily 25k commute, she's loving it.

Howdy Jeff - just looking for total safety & comfort at this point, no punctures etc.. you may know (or not) that I came off about two years ago, and haven't ridden a lot since - was just wanting a nice, easy ride into work - speed is not a consideration.

9 hours ago, Tyno said:

I got a Giant Talon for this very purpose, XMAS last year.

I used it for double duty a bit - commuting and trail rides on the weekend.

Now, I've gone with slicks on it and haven't had it off road in forever.

My recommendation - get something as good as allows that will be fit for purpose.

This is what a good friend of mine recommended.

Thanks all.

7 weeks ago I purchased a Cube Reaction Mountain Bike with mid-drive Bosch Performance Line CX series motor and 29'ers.  It's as heavy as hell, but it doesn't matter as it's electric.

LOVE IT!  Highly recommended, or any similar e-bike.  The Bosch motor is the good one.  Others are Shimano Steps, Bafang and Giant make their own one. 

Ride times down from 58 minutes to 42-45 on average (for 23 kms each way) and I've ridden it every day since I got it, rain, hail or shine.  1700 kms in 7 weeks roughly.

$2900 + $130 for a charger to keep at work.  Riding range around 40 kms.  (For $500 more I could have got just over 50kms).  The payback period for me is 12 weeks of riding.  I can confidently ride it every day without issue, no tiredness and my health has definitely improved.  You still need to spin reasonably fast, but don't apply anywhere near as much pedal pressure, so you arrive at your destination as fresh as when you left.  I still find my heart rate will average around 130-140, but it's just low intensity spinning.

cube.jpg

Edited by BC_J400
  • Like 1