more

Kona qualifiers 10+hours

So was just thinking-there are a heap of people who race Kona and finish well past 10 hours, heaps actually went 15 hours plus. How did they qualify, don’t you need to place well in your age group.

Or are they all lottery winners, just had a bad day...? 

Older age groups, some female age groups as well as people who dont hit the race in "peak" condition.

Also a lot of sponsor spots and legacy/lottery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are hundreds who do Kona without qualifying!  Let alone those that have a bad day!

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, more said:

So was just thinking-there are a heap of people who race Kona and finish well past 10 hours, heaps actually went 15 hours plus. How did they qualify, don’t you need to place well in your age group.

Or are they all lottery winners, just had a bad day...? 

About 600 people this year wont have qualified. Then also anyone over 50 most like won’t break 10 hours. 

Or and Kona is farking hard. 

• Like 2

I was probably fitter for Kona than my qualifying race. I had a poor race strategically and went nearly 50 minutes slower. I think if I'd raced smarter I'd have still been 15 minutes slower.

• Thanks 1

In theory, the best AGers at Kona should be those that KQ'd at IM Wales. They have 13mths to prepare without pressure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FatPom said:

In theory, the best AGers at Kona should be those that KQ'd at IM Wales. They have 13mths to prepare without pressure.

Though totally different conditions. If you have any issues with the heat (real heat and not what you pommies call a heat wave :) ) you'll be found out. That was my only saving grace, that I spent our Winter leading up to it in Nth Qld.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen

19 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Though totally different conditions. If you have any issues with the heat (real heat and not what you pommies call a heat wave :) ) you'll be found out. That was my only saving grace, that I spent our Winter leading up to it in Nth Qld.

Yeah, 'cos no Brit has ever done well at Kona:lol:

• Haha 4

43 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Bang 

• Like 1

My qualifier wasn't under 10 hrs.

I finished 3rd in my AG.

I went slower in Kona on purpose. I didn't push myself and I enjoyed it. I knew I would not be back again. When I race hard I don't remember the race. I didn't want that to happen with this one.

Screenshot_20180915-071009_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, FatPom said:

I didn't think we counted the women's races here?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

We're gender neutral these days :whistling:

1 hour ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You'll keep........ 🤣💪

Kona is a hard day for anyone - the conditions can change from day to day - most other IM races are 20min faster than Kona

My best in Forster was 9.55 at 45yrs - best in Kona was 10.20 at 51yrs 

I don't think any Brit who ever did well in Kona trained in GB - it's also pretty easy to have a bad day in Kona, no matter how well you have prepared - everyone is entitled to one bad day over there - fortunately I have had mine 😏

23 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

People just racing hard enough to qualify then just taking it easy at Kona?

A few people I know struggle with the commitment of the second race and actually do less for the bid dance than what they did to get there. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, willie said:

A few people I know struggle with the commitment of the second race and actually do less for the bid dance than what they did to get there. 

Especially Southern hemisphere where it means getting out at 4am all Winter. I suppose with all the smart trainers these days it's not as bad, but it was a real long slog for me getting out in there all Winter, after my hardest season of training.

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Especially Southern hemisphere where it means getting out at 4am all Winter. I suppose with all the smart trainers these days it's not as bad, but it was a real long slog for me getting out in there all Winter, after my hardest season of training.

winter in brisbane🙄

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Kona is so 2011!

It's a race between Trump and the banks to see who will cause The IM world champs to move.

19 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

winter in brisbane🙄

When you've grown up riding in lovely warm weather, having to ride at zero or sub zero hurts.

I suppose you lot would complain running at lunchtime in 30+. I used to love that.

Edited by Ex-Hasbeen
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

But if you were the cashed up, serious contender triathlete type, wouldn't you do your last training block in Thailand or Malaysia before jetting off to Kona?

• Like 1

Yeah, that could be the last training block (I did mine in Cairns as I managed to get sent there for a month with work) but you still have the rest of Winter to get out there in the cold.

13 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Yeah, that could be the last training block (I did mine in Cairns as I managed to get sent there for a month with work) but you still have the rest of Winter to get out there in the cold.

The difference between a "good race" in Kona and surviving it is 70% mental - this doesn't just happen on the day - it's built a little with every cold morning when you really don't want to go out in the dark - every session you did but really didn't feel like is an investment in your day in October - the more you invest - the bigger the pay day in October 😎

I was thinking the same thing last week with the ITU sprint distance, plenty of finishers around the 1h30+ mark. That is considered toward back of the pack at the Hills races :o I had a look. Mostly older age groups, or people from countries who did not have every man/woman and their dog trying to qualify.

6 minutes ago, MissJess said:

I had a look. Mostly older age groups, or people from countries who did not have every man/woman and their dog trying to qualify.

Just like the aussie and NZ team will be when its on in Bermuda 2021.
There will be just cashed up or those on holiday going.  meanwhile the yanks will be there in force.

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Just like the aussie and NZ team will be when its on in Bermuda 2021.
There will be just cashed up or those on holiday going.  meanwhile the yanks will be there in force.

I fell in love with Bermuda when I visited a mate who was working there, in 2009. I’m excited by the opportunity to go back there and race a WC.

The logistics of hosting a WC on an island only 30km long and everybody (except for those “cashed up” sailors) has to fly there will be interesting. 

1 hour ago, MissJess said:

I was thinking the same thing last week with the ITU sprint distance, plenty of finishers around the 1h30+ mark. That is considered toward back of the pack at the Hills races :o 

......or just the norm for some of us!

1 hour ago, iFoz said:

I fell in love with Bermuda when I visited a mate who was working there, in 2009. I’m excited by the opportunity to go back there and race a WC.

The logistics of hosting a WC on an island only 30km long and everybody (except for those “cashed up” sailors) has to fly there will be interesting. 

They should just dock a cruise ship there for the week. 

Would be cool. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Peter said:

Would be cool. 

That’s a great idea.

Oh hang on... September, Atlantic, hurricane season, sailing though something like Florence wouldn’t be the ideal race preparation. <Puking emoticons>...🤮🤮🤮

Edited by iFoz

41 minutes ago, Peter said:

Would be cool. 

That really isn't the dumbest idea...