willie

Transitions - What do you want?

Morning all (including lurkers),

If you’re not aware yet I’m in the process of taking over trannies from Roxii (he’ll still be around doing some media stuff etc). I’ve been a member for approximately half my life (pretty sure it was 2003 when I joined as a 15yr old) and decided to take the reins a few months back.

We’re going to do some thing with transitions. I reckon it’s got the right stuff to do some good in the sport. My focus as with RunWith and other side projects is to make sport as a whole more accessible and upskill people in the process. Develop it, I feel it’s become extremely commercial of late (the sport, not the site).

What do you want from transitions? Is there an awesome idea you have for what we could do? Maybe you could commit a bit of time and/or resource (we’ve got some good diversity amount us) or something else? Can reply here, shoot me a PM or email - willie@transitions.org.au with ideas. 

The recent stuff with Goughy, FFF and many others in the past is what it’s all about and has kind of peaked my interest in the sport again. Thanks you two loveable idiots :P 

I’ve got the “Transitions World Championships” race and a couple of running races already on the cards where I’m working/mentoring a few students to help them present a race for everyone (sprint distance - Sydney for tri, then a couple of trail events and hopefully a road event next year). I learnt a lot from the late Nick Munting, Graeham Hannan, Emo, Mooze and Matt K, Prachar Stegman and various I’ve crossed paths with and want to pass some of that on. It’ll be cheap (it will cost no more than $40 😮 what? 2002 prices?) 

Where going to turn the site into a shop selling all the shit you probably don’t need to do all three sports. A lot of this money will go back into supporting some younger guys and girls not just in triathlon, but each of the three individual sports. I’m not out to make millions from it as I was accused of a few days ago... in fact if I don’t have to put my hand in my pocket too far I’ll be stoked!

So throw your ideas etc at me and we  have some robust discussion and move forward with it  

TIA - Willie

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

First response to the heading was a new bike - will get back to you on the rest 😄

• Like 2

Speaking for myself mate, but the biggest thing that keeps me here is the sense of community.  There's a wealth of knowledge and you quickly learn who to trust which is thankfully most.

I think most of us miss the old Tour reports and previews that we used to have before Trev dropped off the radar.  There is also plenty of appetite for the history - with or without the beers tasting good

It'd be great to be a voice to communicate with the people who run the sport, both TA and the state bodies, and the RDs and be a good chance for communication to go both ways.  Roxii laid some of the groundwork for this, take the baton and run with it the best you can.  Part of this is going to be controlling the rabble to be civil in some of the responses so as not to chase them away

The other thing to recognise is most of us, with or without dodgy hips 😋, are moving to be not solely focused on tris and we've all branched out into various other activities.  It'd be great to learn more about these, who is doing what and when events are on, who is going etc so people wanting to give new things a go can rock up and at least virtually know some one there.  The secondary benefit of this will be keeping some of the tri experience around for the newbies coming through.  Perhaps a calendar of events and who is attending might enable this a bit more

Anyway, hope that is enough to get the discussion going

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Cottoneyes is right about the sense of community.

I'm at the point now where I doubt I'll ever do another tri again. I can swim (when my shoulder gets better), but my knee is that ****ed that I won't be running & can hardly ride. I've thought about leaving this site, cause sometimes I feel like shit when I think about what I can't do, but it's the people on here that keep me coming back.

I think maintaining that on the path you are going may be tricky, but it is important.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Me 3. It's the community.... And the advice every now and again!

Cranky is correct

I mean, it was the Transitions community which allowed her to meet the great IronmanFoz and myself a couple of years ago and tap into the aura of awesomeness we exude.  Now she's a Kona veteran

Coincidence?  I think not...

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

If you want this place to grow and get more traffic you need to do something about the google search. The first listing is about transition lenses and then the second for this forum but there is absolutely nothing to indicate it is even a triathlon site!

Also no offense to all the old members but the Transition logo look really poxy and dated, could really do with a revamp.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, more said:

Also no offense to all the old members but the Transition logo look really poxy and dated, could really do with a revamp.

You blasted young ones with your new-fangled changes

In my day you were seen and not heard...

:wheelchair:

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I want Roxii to run the site :P

How about paddle it? 

• Haha 3

Community 1st - maintain the forum without too much moderation and let the community have an opportunity to discuss different ideas and points of view. If it becomes too PC it'll be stale. 

Shop 2nd 

One hand washing the other is what I see...? 

Social media image work required too IMO 

Logo to stay or change slightly. Don't deviate from a recognised symbol. 

Good luck. I'm here if you need help 

14 minutes ago, more said:

If you want this place to grow and get more traffic you need to do something about the google search. The first listing is about transition lenses and then the second for this forum but there is absolutely nothing to indicate it is even a triathlon site.

Out of curiosity I just Googled Trannies and the results were how should I say.... Disturbing. 

• Haha 1

I came here because i was fat and overweight and wanted to do a triathlon so i needed advice, and i got plenty even though ive not met a single person in real life from here.  the community is strong and i like that and everyone has been wonderful towards me,  so dont lose the community feel.

I probably write more in the sandbox because i dont know much about triathlon so dont lose that either.

Have no idea about which direction you should take but i think from what ive read and the suggestions above, it sounds pretty good. 

I want a sarcasm font

either that or a lifetime limit of 25,000 posts for anyone not a previous site owner 😁

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, A2K said:

Out of curiosity I just Googled Trannies and the results were how should I say.... Disturbing. 

Well guess that rules out changing our name to Willies...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

57 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Cranky is correct

I mean, it was the Transitions community which allowed her to meet the great IronmanFoz and myself a couple of years ago and tap into the aura of awesomeness we exude.  Now she's a Kona veteran

Coincidence?  I think not...

😂💪

26 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Logo to stay or change slightly. Don't deviate from a recognised symbol.

This ⬆️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cottoneyes said:

I want a sarcasm font

You could always use pink like on Slowtwitch

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Speaking for myself mate, but the biggest thing that keeps me here is the sense of community.  There's a wealth of knowledge and you quickly learn who to trust which is thankfully most.

I think most of us miss the old Tour reports and previews that we used to have before Trev dropped off the radar.  There is also plenty of appetite for the history - with or without the beers tasting good

It'd be great to be a voice to communicate with the people who run the sport, both TA and the state bodies, and the RDs and be a good chance for communication to go both ways.  Roxii laid some of the groundwork for this, take the baton and run with it the best you can.  Part of this is going to be controlling the rabble to be civil in some of the responses so as not to chase them away

The other thing to recognise is most of us, with or without dodgy hips 😋, are moving to be not solely focused on tris and we've all branched out into various other activities.  It'd be great to learn more about these, who is doing what and when events are on, who is going etc so people wanting to give new things a go can rock up and at least virtually know some one there.  The secondary benefit of this will be keeping some of the tri experience around for the newbies coming through.  Perhaps a calendar of events and who is attending might enable this a bit more

Anyway, hope that is enough to get the discussion going

image.png.1f0cb922d0194475bed0284734cb60de.png

It's just the vibe of the thing.....................................

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

First response to the heading was a new bike - will get back to you on the rest 😄

haha, can you buy me a new bike while you're at it? Let me know what you want, I'm more than happy to feed the addiction with a trannies special here and there. 

3 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

Mate these are all very important points. I'm not looking to change anything community wise. I'm not going to stamp out anything because it might be a little offensive or the like. The whole reason I took it on was so that didn't change. I'm trying to get a few of the old timers back on here... Maybe I'll need to get unicomb a couple of cartons and let him loose? I really want them to share as much as possible like days gone by before all that info is lost... 

Being a voice for the future of the sport is huge, it's something I'd love to give a crack and create some change for the better. I personally think that also rolls into your last point. The sooner triathlon helps embrace the three sports the better. I find there is a lot of them and us around the place and that sucks. 

One thought I did have, was reaching out to some of the clubs that run races and possibly putting together a trannies work crew to put on the race for them once or twice a year. I reckon it would give that club the opportunity to compete as a whole (too many of the same people sacrifice a lot so others can race all the time). We used to do it for our cycle and run clubs back home. We'd run their races, they'd run ours and vice versa. It created an awesome atmosphere as well and encouraged a lot of cooperation between clubs. 

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I think maintaining that on the path you are going may be tricky, but it is important.

Don't worry, that's not lost on me. I am not looking to move away from the forum or anything stupid like that, more just looking to bring it a bit more into 2018. I have had some contact with a few brands and me might do the odd week here and there where we let them do some advertising and let them educate us on their product... Sorta like Caden. How many of us would be on them without Ben being on here? Adding a pro's corner and actually getting them to contribute every now and them without people giving them shit for it (but I will say they also need to be more open and accept some might dislike them and disagree. I think lachie and bergs are honest and we love that). 

2 hours ago, more said:

If you want this place to grow and get more traffic you need to do something about the google search. The first listing is about transition lenses and then the second for this forum but there is absolutely nothing to indicate it is even a triathlon site!

Both of these things have been thought about, I like the logo but no one knows what the hell it is unless you're a long time lurker or poster. Anyone a graphic designer/artist and want to have a crack at it?

• Like 1

Want me to ask Robyn if she wants to have a go at it? (The logo)

I agree with Ex and Cottoneyes. As I get older and more knackered, I'm becoming more interested in endurance events that use the elements of SBR as a base.  I'm looking at TTs, trails, maybe even some MTB enduro stuff next year.  IM is great but it's not the only thing.

For me, moving forward, tri will be a 'dip in and out' type of thing but I'm interested in reading about related endurance events. Tri should always be the central pillar of Trannies but I'd hate for the side stuff to go away.

28 minutes ago, willie said:

haha, can you buy me a new bike while you're at it? Let me know what you want, I'm more than happy to feed the addiction with a trannies special here and there. 

Mate these are all very important points. I'm not looking to change anything community wise. I'm not going to stamp out anything because it might be a little offensive or the like. The whole reason I took it on was so that didn't change. I'm trying to get a few of the old timers back on here... Maybe I'll need to get unicomb a couple of cartons and let him loose? I really want them to share as much as possible like days gone by before all that info is lost... 

Being a voice for the future of the sport is huge, it's something I'd love to give a crack and create some change for the better. I personally think that also rolls into your last point. The sooner triathlon helps embrace the three sports the better. I find there is a lot of them and us around the place and that sucks. 

One thought I did have, was reaching out to some of the clubs that run races and possibly putting together a trannies work crew to put on the race for them once or twice a year. I reckon it would give that club the opportunity to compete as a whole (too many of the same people sacrifice a lot so others can race all the time). We used to do it for our cycle and run clubs back home. We'd run their races, they'd run ours and vice versa. It created an awesome atmosphere as well and encouraged a lot of cooperation between clubs. 

Don't worry, that's not lost on me. I am not looking to move away from the forum or anything stupid like that, more just looking to bring it a bit more into 2018. I have had some contact with a few brands and me might do the odd week here and there where we let them do some advertising and let them educate us on their product... Sorta like Caden. How many of us would be on them without Ben being on here? Adding a pro's corner and actually getting them to contribute every now and them without people giving them shit for it (but I will say they also need to be more open and accept some might dislike them and disagree. I think lachie and bergs are honest and we love that). 

Both of these things have been thought about, I like the logo but no one knows what the hell it is unless you're a long time lurker or poster. Anyone a graphic designer/artist and want to have a crack at it?

Would love to see Rentakill back here.. 

And IP he had lot to offer. 

B@w also a good inspiration about balance and making IM about more than the event but more about the associated life experiences at the destination 

Also if you can't get trev back can you organize an Airtasker to do the daily tour updates..

Reinvigorate the 10 questions. I know id like to know more about some of the longer term posters especially those with talent Aa7, clintred, pot, corky?  (Tyno pretty much volunteered to do this when he did the roxii version recently). 

Would love a 'safe space' to discuss lchf without ridicule.. Haha yeah right

Make the block button easier to find..

Enjoy the stuff that the resident physios add to in the injury and rehab space.  Maybe a monthly injury article or something?  I know i could write a letter every month...

Alternative monthly training updates from lachie and bergs would be good.  Even add a month worth Keiran or Fffs (or your) pre busso training.  I enjoyed previous ones by Nath i think it was..

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pieman said:

Would love to see Rentakill back here.. 

And IP he had lot to offer. 

Also if you can't get trev back can you organize an Airtasker to do the daily tour updates..

Reinvigorate the 10 questions. I know id like to know more about some of the longer term posters especially those with talent Aa7, clintred, pot, corky?  (Tyno pretty much volunteered to do this when he did the roxii version recently). 

Would love a 'safe space' to discuss lchf without ridicule.. Haha yeah right

Make the block button easier to find..

Enjoy the stuff that the resident physios add to in the injury and rehab space.  Maybe a monthly injury article or something?  I know i could write a letter every month...

Alternative monthly training updates from lachie and bergs would be good.  Even add a month worth Keiran or Fffs (or your) pre busso training.  I enjoyed previous ones by Nath i think it was..

Who is rentakill? Maybe we need a "where are they now?" yoyo used to be good value as well. 

I'll try work on someone to do the tour stuff. Maybe ExHasbeen? 

Oi, tyno. Where is our next 10 questions, add RBR to the list of interesting stories, he used to be fatter than me. If anyone does 10 Qs with corky I'll close the site. We will have reached our peak too early and it's only downhill from there

Safe space = PMs. :P

I have a dietician, physio, pod and possibly even an osteo on the payroll, that's already been thought about and will happen. Along with some coaching advice and other random articles.

We're working on your last point as we speak. I'd actually like to put a "team" together as a permanent thing (read comment RE Transitions Shop funding it). 

• Thanks 1

I'm sure you will do the right thing by the site, I reckon your motives are spot on.

In terms of what I want... like everybody has said I don't think this part (i.e. the forums) should stay pretty much as they are. I've only met a few people off here IRL but I feel like it's a great bunch of folk even though we disagree with each other sometimes it tends to be done politely. I've learnt so much here and also laughed out loud, teared up, got angry and everything in between. @Turtscomment about Tranny posting alone in a hotel room hit the spot... as I've mentioned I travel a lot and on arriving in a new hotel, wherever it is in the world the first website I open is not my email, it's this forum. Lame but it makes me feel at home. I joined a year after arriving in Australia and 6 months after my first triathlon and haven't looked back. When I return to the UK I shall definitely be joining the ranks of FP, Rimmer et al.

That all being said... I've only ever visited the non-forum part of the site twice, both times by mistake which is probably more on me than the site but there is a huge opportunity to do something amazing with it and make it a real home for not just triathlon but all Multisport in Australia.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, willie said:

Who is rentakill?  

Another alias of Jabbs

1 hour ago, willie said:

...Sorta like Caden. How many of us would be on them without Ben being on here? 

I only have Cadens because of Trannies.

47 minutes ago, pieman said:

I know i could write a letter every month...

Are you Physio?!! Why didn't I know this???!!!

Who's Jabbs....

Another alias of TUV something.0

Dah, da dah, da dah.

I like the "reinvigorate", rather than reinvent!  I don't wanna see anyone feel like they don't wanna be here anymore.  This is my safe place, and I have more people here I'd call friend, or trust, than I have in real life! (And that includes IJ and AP etc).

Edited by goughy

Jabbs, Rentakill, Mister Marcellis Wallace, Voice of Reason, TU5.0 - I'm sure there's more but that's just off the top of my head.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, trinube said:

Jabbs, Rentakill, Mister Marcellis Wallace, Voice of Reason, TU5.0 - I'm sure there's more but that's just off the top of my head.

Right I knew all of them and a couple more. Rentakill must have come and gone pretty quickly

Maybe he didn't pay the rent?

4 minutes ago, willie said:

Right I knew all of them and a couple more. Rentakill must have come and gone pretty quickly

2 minutes ago, goughy said:

Maybe he didn't pay the rent?

Exterminated pests

He still reads here and I’m sure he will be pleased he is still fondly remembered. 

• Like 1

I thought about this through the day.

About 30 years ago we used to go to the pub every Friday night after work. Everyone from the GM to the apprentices would turn up and that's a lot of how I see Trannies. I'm not a serious insect so was never going to get into the deep technicalities of the sport on here but the social component was worth the effort.

I've met some 'ace' people through here. Port Mac 2007 when I met Humdrum, Fezza and FatPom for the first time. I met Nealo and Roxii at Kurnell while cleaning up after a race.  Had some great times in Busso with Bored@, Hyphen and Antisport - Yeppoon with Sunnygirl, Skel, Simone and Otter. I travelled to Busso by myself for Ironman but was never alone. Stood on the start line with Coffs Pete and Chambo. I got cheered on by trannies I'd never met. I did Callala with Agent86 and Gimili. I've had great meet-ups in Melbourne with Tri-Mel, MDot, -H-, MX Walker, Ayto, Foxy Lady, Muz and more. I've swum the B&B with Tortoise and Rog and bought surfboards off Jabbs. I saw Mrs Chat do her first ever triathlon and briefly met Flanman same day.

I've done bike rides, runs and swims with Trannies outside of races. I loved the swim workshop coach@ ran a few years back and the track cycling with Parkside, TInman, Roxii, Trev, Hyphen, Geoscott and Donncha was a terrifying blast.

This is where Trannies value is for me. You can travel to any race in the country (or OS) and if you put the word out you can guarantee there'll be someone to talk to with their name on the back of a cap.

By all means do everything possible to promote the sport, but what's become clear over the years is that more and more people posting here don't actually participate in the sport anymore. Many that don't have drifted away and that's a shame because as a social 'club' there's a lot to be said for the quality of the people on the site.

I'd love to see organised 'events' that weren't necessarily tri-related. Rides, runs, swims, dinners, whatever. I'd just like to catch up with people and if it can be done with a small degree of exercise and some taking the piss  then all the better.

As syrupy as it sounds, it is a second family and I consider myself lucky to have stumbled across it and met some sensational people along the way.

Edited by trinube
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, more said:

Email notifications for new posts would also be cool

you can already do that :)  Will also give notifications in most browsers if you turn it on. 

1. As others had said, many appreciate the contributions of posters that posted heavily on here previously and don't anymore.  Somehow find a way to get them back.
  2. Once a upon a time the front page only had topics that have been active within the past 4 hours or so, now it is measured in days.  Find ways to recruit more people to the site - there are (and always have been) tons of people doing tris in Oz that know nothing of this site.  Find a way to reach them and the topics and discussion would move quicker.
  3. The site is now over 15 years and there are heck knows how many (legitimate) members...but quite significant.  As I've said a few times over the years, my biggest request is to create a sub forum for members that have passed so we can remember them.  Green Machine, KA2 (10 question creator starting in 2005) are two of a number that deserve to have their legacy remembered for the contribution they have given to this site.  There are probably many that we don't know about which is a sad.

Just now, GSP said:
  1. The site is now over 15 years and there are heck knows how many (legitimate) members...but quite significant.  As I've said a few times over the years, my biggest request is to create a sub forum for members that have passed so we can remember them.  Green Machine, KA2 (10 question creator starting in 2005) are two of a number that deserve to have their legacy remembered for the contribution they have given to this site.  There are probably many that we don't know about which is a sad.

You read my mind and this is already in the works, every time I'm in port I go see the green machines rock

3 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

You could always use pink like on Slowtwitch

Or italic? 

4 minutes ago, willie said:

You read my mind and this is already in the works, every time I'm in port I go see the green machines rock

Stars on 54.

Great to hear.

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

I only have Cadens because of Trannies.

Are you Physio?!! Why didn't I know this???!!!

No i could write a monthly letter asking advice on my latest injury..

• Haha 3

Have a sub forum for cycling. 

Another for running. 

Revamp. Colours etc...

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Another for running. 

Revamp. Colours etc...

Oh yeah, Peter was at a meet up in Melbourne too :)

Met some amazing people on this forum and I value all the input anyone takes the time to put in.  I know not everyone sees things the same way but that's just part of being in a community.  If everyone was the same **** it would be boring.

I don't really know what the best direction is for the forum but there is plenty more people out there that do tri who could add to this place and I think finding a way to capture that would be a good start.  

Best of luck willie I know you'll give it everything you have and I hope you can pull off what you're trying to achieve.

12 minutes ago, Peter said:

Another for running. 

I understand the thinking behind this, but I think a lot of the current single sport content that comes in under Trichat would be missed by a lot of people who wouldn't bother opening up some of the single sport stuff.

1 hour ago, trinube said:

As syrupy as it sounds, it is a second family and I consider myself lucky to have stumbled across it and met some sensational people along the way.

This is especially true when your family are 12,000 miles away.:thumbsup:

• Like 1