willie

Transitions - What do you want?

9 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

I understand the thinking behind this, but I think a lot of the current single sport content that comes in under Trichat would be missed by a lot of people who wouldn't bother opening up some of the single sport stuff.

I’m not saying the cycling forum is for us. It’s a way to expend for w. 

It could even be a new site. 

Same with the running side. 

Cool runnings is shit. Couldn’t tell you the last time I was on there. 18 months?

1 minute ago, Peter said:

I’m not saying the cycling forum is for us. It’s a way to expend for w. 

It could even be a new site. 

Same with the running side. 

Cool runnings is shit. Couldn’t tell you the last time I was on there. 18 months?

Challenge comes with activity in the forum. There probably isn't enough people here to split it all out of trichat. If the user base grows substantially where there's enough content and discussion then yes.

• Like 1

Willie, for this site to be profitable it needs to grow. To grow you need more users, to get more users you need more content and content of quality. What quality is I don't know? Look at previous posts that got a lot of traction.

So how do you get more people to be active? incentivise posting and commenting. possible option is bringing your shop in closet, offer coupons or cost price purchases in your shop as a monthly/weekly reward. Determine your own criteria and judgements.

Trannies already does a won the day with most liked post for that day.

• Thanks 1

I think that all come with the challenge of getting the “lurkers” to post more. 

As I said the audience is there but the active audience is much less. 

Converting the lurkers and grabbing a few new readers is key, maybe some random giveaways for new posters or something, 

Holy crap Prizna and I are thinking alike.

definitely time to go :lol:

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, roxii said:

Holy crap Prizna and I are thinking alike.

definitely time to go :lol:

Does this mean I'm going to shrink and go bald?

• Haha 1

I was just thinking with the split forum for cycling for example 

can a post appear in 2 places?

for example. If we had someone do a daily preview post for say Le Tour and we all chat away about it however is firmly appears in the cycling sub forum but also over in trichat. It would appear to cycling people that go to the new www.cyclingforum.com.au/chat but also in forum.transitions.com/trichat 

so new people to the cycling forum wouldn’t even know about trichat. 

If the goal is to grow users to willies sites and therefore advertising to his business it would be a good trick. 

Yeah good idea Peter but Prizna is right too. 

I reckon if you diversify the forum into others they would all suffer. 

Maybe a tag requirement for a new thread? Either swim, bike, run; which as you look at Tri chat, shows you which genre the thread is about? 

Or Tri Chat as the main page and like the sandbox etc as sub forums? Is that what you meant Peter? 

12 hours ago, trinube said:

Kerbside

I think it’s coming up to 10 years soon 

FM

2 hours ago, roxii said:

Converting the lurkers and grabbing a few new readers is key, maybe some random giveaways for new posters or something, 

Would a thread devoted to lurkers work? e.g. if you're a lurker and you've always wanted to post but been too scared here's your safe place. Introduce yourself and get started here.

3 hours ago, roxii said:

I don’t think rewarding people for posting will work (unless it’s like a rep system which also has it’s downfalls). I don’t know of any successful forum that has used that approach. 

Above all people are lazy and want ease of use. I don’t want to search through every subforum, I want to log in and show a list of new topics and posts. And if I click on the topic I want it to take it to my last unread post, not page one. Like i said people (like me) are lazy 

Ease of use leads to more posts which leads to more volume which leads to more posts etc

Edited by more

With regards to the forum layout, I remember years ago, when I think the sandbox was added, that since weren't happy.  I don't think you want it like slowtwitch where it feels like everything is in one big forum and stuff just gets lost.  But you don't want it, like, say coolrunning where there is a seperate Forum for even people who are peanut butter for lunch today and another one for those who sure Vegemite!

While we have a "new posts" button, it seems many just had to the individual forums.  But I think a little separation isn't bad.  Like with the MTB Forum for instance, the sandbox etc.  Myself, I don't mind the idea of having one for each sport, etc.  But I have a feeling I'm in the minority.  Cause I use the new posts button, nothing gets missed, but it does allow a little separation.

We really really don't wanna lose the community feel.  It can be a bit hard for new members because the strong community can leave them feeling on the outside of, say, in jokes.  But it's also one of the best features of the place.  Maybe having a spot where new people can say g'day etc, and then you may also get an idea of how many new people are actually getting involved.  An adminstration area for info and announcements, and it can be somewhere for people to provide feedback without it filling up the main Forum.

I'm researching how to have it ALL as one feed, then having say 8 buttons/headings at the top that automatically sort through the shit and will only give you whatever topics are selected (you might choose to select triathlon, lifestyle and coaching if you were say AP) and it would only show you topics that fall into those categories.

Triathlon, Swim, Bike, Run, Coaching, Offroad, Sandbox

But would that require people adding tags to their threads correctly?

3 minutes ago, goughy said:

But would that require people adding tags to their threads correctly?

yes, but as it goes it's also pretty easy to moderate with a quick little drop down... we move threads around every now and then when we have to. 

• Like 1

You don't wanna make too much work for yourself.

• Like 1

I'm happy to be 10 Questions Tyno on the understanding that I'm totally not K2 and it will be a different beast, probably only having 10  questions per 10 questions for a start. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Tyno said:

I'm happy to be 10 Questions Tyno on the understanding that I'm totally not K2 and it will be a different beast, probably only having 10  questions per 10 questions for a start. :)

Good work 

Great idea 👍👍👍👍👍😎

9 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Good work 

Great idea 👍👍👍👍👍😎

Make it your own.  Tynos Tough Questions or something..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pieman said:

Make it your own.  Tynos Tough Questions or something..

Tyno's Tough Ten 

Or 

TTT for some play on sports relevant humour?? 

Edited by FFF1077
Typo

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

Race reports. I love reading race reports but people don't really post them unless they are epic (or ironman) ..

I never liked it when RR got moved and still don’t, I just don’t look in there that often but when I do, there is always stuff worth reading.

My suggestion was post RRs in the main topic area, then after a copuple of weeks, archive them in a sub forum so folks doing next years race could find them easily.

• Like 4

I'm not sure how this relates to or would impact Transitions, but more of an observation.

"Content" these days is video.  

Capturing new users may become increasingly difficult as message boards become a relic of a bygone era with kids only knowing SnapChat and Instagram.

On a separate note, i love seeing people with Transitions bibs or hats at races. I picked up a bib at Port in 2015 but haven't remembered it for a single race, but still got a kick out of seeing trannies like @Turts on course at Husky. 

A more permanent way of getting your hands on merch would be cool.

Edited by xblane
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

We don't all stutter like you FFF...

Fffffff..... LOL 

Well done Willie, Im sure youll do a great job. I wouldnt like too many changes, theres a lot of great things about this place as others have said although I do understand it has to be viable.  My only suggestion is getting some swim/bike off the ground. Either encourage RD's to do it or we do our own social ones. Using this purely as an example: trannies that live near Ex could swim in his dam then have a ride.  Agree beforehand the distance, pace regroup at a set point etc etc then have coffee afterwards. Of course wearing trannie gear is essential !

• Like 2

What FP said

Also, race reports from smaller, shorter races are also valid and worth writing/reading. How do you encourage people to write those? TBH I dont write them here because I don't know if anyone has any interest?

Edited by BogFrog

5 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

What FP said

Also, race reports from smaller, shorter races are also valid and worth writing/reading. How do you encourage people to write those? TBH I dont write them here because I don't know if anyone has any interest?

I love reading race reports from any distance race

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I love reading race reports from any distance race

I look forward to reading yours when/if you write them.

Perhaps a Tranny (training) Tinder. List when you'll be doing some training and if someone wants to come along they can hook up. I'm sure there's plenty of people training alone and sometimes it would be nice to have someone to chat to without the constraints of a formal group.

Something like "I'm going for a surf swim tomorrow at Cronulla. If anyone's interested I'll be in Wanda carpark at 8am wearing my tranny hat.*"  If people turn up great, if not, no problem. 

* Note this is entirely fictitious - I haven't swum for months :lol:

Edited by trinube
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

What FP said

If they're worth writing then write them.  Someone will read them and you might just help one of these thousands of newbie lurkers who are otherwise too scared to come on here because of all the macho in jokes etc..

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Also, race reports from smaller, shorter races are also valid and worth writing/reading.

I think I wrote about 12 paragraphs on a  Bribie shortcourse DNF once upon a time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pieman said:

If they're worth writing then write them.  Someone will read them and you might just help one of these thousands of newbie lurkers who are otherwise too scared to come on here because of all the macho in jokes etc..

Yeah I’ve been thinking a lot about how much this site has given me and how little I’ve given back.

I raced IM Cairns earlier this year and finally KQ’d (it took me six IMs to finally punch my ticket). I hadn’t planned on writing a race report, but it might be a good read particularly for someone who dreams of KQ and has the commitment but is still on the journey.

Or anyone else who just loves a race report.

Edited by Hoffy86
  • Like 6

Some news, or interesting stuff going on in the tri world.  Roxii did a bit when he came across it.  

Maybe a pinned newbies topic. Some information about trannies in general along with answers to things like "what to expect in my first triathlon'

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyno said:

I think I wrote about 12 paragraphs on a  Bribie shortcourse DNF once upon a time.

The best race reports aren't necessarily from good performances...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Peter said:

I miss otters race reports. 

And Mank’s. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Peter said:

I miss otters race reports. 

Yes the Ironman Cairns one was awesome 😂👍

So how long was Trannies / Ozfat around for?  Is there some sort of 25 year anniversary we should be starting to plan for?

14 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

So how long was Trannies / Ozfat around for?  Is there some sort of 25 year anniversary we should be starting to plan for?

I joined 15years ago... I didn't realise it had been too much longer than that 

My recollection of my request to be banned was that I was simply over it.

People - and a few in particular who added absolutely no value to the forum at all and had no credibility - were fighting because they enjoyed fighting in an on line sense and loved winding me up, so I responded in kind and being a good hater (some things will never change) made the 'transition' to pursue and hold account those people for their comments in real life.

Me being me I dont say stuff Im not prepared to say to another person face to face. In the times I have checked in there are a few of those people who add nothing and have no credibility still around, thus they ended up talking to themselves, if you want to attract people back Willie who have credibility add value and grow the forum Id be limiting the posts of the serial pests.

The two who caused me the most grief probably know that wasnt the smartest thing to do, I know at one stage I had lost my shit so badly I was going to hop on a plane to Melbourne and Brisbane and go and knock on their doors. That wouldnt have ended well so happily for everyone I didnt, but dont poke the bear might be a good adage to live by fellas. 

So mate, if you piss off the idiots,  ask a few of the old posters to contribute you might add value, readership and sell advertising to cover your costs. 

That will always be one of the biggest issue with discussion forums TUV, and I don't know if there's any solution to it?  Other than the "you go your way, I'll go mine, and never the twain will meet!"  But it can be damn hard, near impossible to ignore them.

I had my own issues on the Forum I started, that I ended up leaving and deleting my own account rather than banning a serial pest because I thought getting rid of them would stir more shit than if I just walked away.  So I know where you're coming from.

Edited by goughy

6 minutes ago, goughy said:

That will always be one of the biggest issue with discussion forums TUV, and I don't know if there's any solution to it?  Other than the "you go your way, I'll go mine, and never the twain will meet!"  But it can be damn hard, near impossible to ignore them.

I had my own issues on the Forum I started, that I ended up leaving and deleting my own account rather than banning a serial pest because I thought getting rid of them would stir more shit than if I just walked away.  So I know where you're coming from.

Did you own a forum?

47 minutes ago, TUv5.0 said:

The two who caused me the most grief probably know that wasnt the smartest thing to do, I know at one stage I had lost my shit so badly I was going to hop on a plane to Melbourne and Brisbane and go and knock on their doors.

I think I remember talking to you on the phone the day you were heading to Melb.   :lol: 

6 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Did you own a forum?

Cant wait till I log onto the Surfski forum and say "I used to own a tri forum"  :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3