monkie

Long Course Weekend - Who's in?

Great run Monkie. 

Mrs Shuffla managed 3:56 to maintain her lead in the LCW. Now having a lie down wrapped in a space blanket. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Shuffla said:

Great run Monkie. 

Mrs Shuffla managed 3:56 to maintain her lead in the LCW. Now having a lie down wrapped in a space blanket. 

I waved at her several times then realised that she has literally no idea who I am...

• Haha 1

Legs felt ok - 1.27 half. Monkie looked awesome out there - following that lead bike most of the day! Cape_Horn was well in control when I saw him last. 

A good low key event - a couple of changes on bike (re Monkie comments) and it would be ideal. 

Now for WS 70.3........

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Legs felt ok - 1.27 half. Monkie looked awesome out there - following that lead bike most of the day! Cape_Horn was well in control when I saw him last. 

A good low key event - a couple of changes on bike (re Monkie comments) and it would be ideal. 

Now for WS 70.3........

Well done Bosco & everyone else, great finish to a tough weekend. 

I hope this event grows, one of the best bike courses around. In saying that, accomodation prices are a lot different to last year. The place we stayed last year was double this year! 

23 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Well done Bosco & everyone else, great finish to a tough weekend. 

I hope this event grows, one of the best bike courses around. In saying that, accomodation prices are a lot different to last year. The place we stayed last year was double this year! 

They've caught on already

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

I hope it does too because I love the EE team but I am not sure it will... numbers were down on last year and the April date for next year will mean that anybody doing Port Mac won't be doing the full LCW because nobody is going to run a marathon three weeks out... I'll be down for the halves and I'm sure there's some reasoning behind it but feels a bit strange...

• Like 1

5k and 10k runners must be a godsend for these events - it would have been light on numbers for the weekend without those events. 

I think the Bowral Classic took a few out this weekend. 

I didn’t realise a date change - interesting. 

4-5 weeks before IMOz would be a great three day hit out.  Even three weeks out might be okay, but it means a lot of travel and cost so close to IM. 

Personally I’m more likely to do LCW in April as it means training through summer instead of winter. 

5 minutes ago, Shuffla said:

4-5 weeks before IMOz would be a great three day hit out.  Even three weeks out might be okay, but it means a lot of travel and cost so close to IM. 

Personally I’m more likely to do LCW in April as it means training through summer instead of winter. 

Do it! It's great. I would be tempted by the swim and the bike but I don't think running a marathon then is helpful...

6 minutes ago, Shuffla said:

Haha. You don’t have a winter in Port. 

Come south for 1 year and then go back. You’ll ride all July aug sept back in port in summer kit. 

I like the sound of April- good weekend to launch into Cairns as well.

Did you get a date Monkie - April calendar looks tough to fit in with school holidays and other published events?

3 minutes ago, Bosco said:

I like the sound of April- good weekend to launch into Cairns as well.

Did you get a date Monkie - April calendar looks tough to fit in with school holidays and other published events?

I think they said the 19th... don't hold me to it though. @Sebee?

2 hours ago, Peter said:

Haha. You don’t have a winter in Port. 

Come south for 1 year and then go back. You’ll ride all July aug sept back in port in summer kit. 

Plenty of 0-2C mornings this year. I spent 11 years in Canberra so certainly appreciated the warmer weather up here the first few years. Now I seem to be less of a morning person. 

2 hours ago, monkie said:

I think they said the 19th... don't hold me to it though. @Sebee?

That’s Easter I think. Easier to get leave but unusual to schedule at that time in a tourist town. 

For reference, Tenby LCW is always 8-9 wks out from IM Wales, which seems to work. Incidentally, LCW was on the same weekend as IMUK this year and LCW had record attendance.  ( then again, who wouldn’t choose Tenby over Bolton :lol:)

1:45 of being smacked in the face in the swim, longest IM swim I’ve done. 

7:45 bike - included a 15m meltdown at the end of lap three when I had decided to quit then eventually changed my mind. I saw a camel on the last lap so that was nice, and just managed to beat the thunderstorm. Slowest IM bike by over an hour, although my power figures were ok. I hear I wasn’t alone - what was that all about? Best bike course, my (sore) arse. 

Run was ok though, hit my sub 5 target, making the total time slip into third place for iron distance style events. 

Great support on on the course from the volunteers and staff. Fun event, but I worry for the future of it with numbers being so low.

Eight weeks training = not enough. 

Paul

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think the concept is awesome and have done one in Christchurch a few years ago. 

But other than on here there was no advertising or chatter down in Victoria. 

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

I think the concept is awesome and have done one in Christchurch a few years ago. 

But other than on here there was no advertising or chatter down in Victoria. 

Agree - I only knew about it from reading here. Huge lack of publicity & the website, social media coverage is woeful. 

9 hours ago, WhiffyFuzzball said:

1:45 of being smacked in the face in the swim, longest IM swim I’ve done. 

7:45 bike - included a 15m meltdown at the end of lap three when I had decided to quit then eventually changed my mind. I saw a camel on the last lap so that was nice, and just managed to beat the thunderstorm. Slowest IM bike by over an hour, although my power figures were ok. I hear I wasn’t alone - what was that all about? Best bike course, my (sore) arse. 

Run was ok though, hit my sub 5 target, making the total time slip into third place for iron distance style events. 

Great support on on the course from the volunteers and staff. Fun event, but I worry for the future of it with numbers being so low.

Eight weeks training = not enough. 

Paul

Guess that means I wasn't carrying the Tranny Lantern - Sorry, I was standing next to you in the chute for the prize giving and didn't properly introduce myself.  

Run was... well, I won't say good, but 20k/wk running is not really conducive to marathon running. Slowed down earlier than last year (around the 23k mark not the 26k mark) but had been going about 30s/km faster before then. Managed to have my legs sort of come back after  k of walking, and could tool around at just over 7m/k's for the rest, walking the uphills. Can't properly feel my knees today.

End result? 4h52m, and a 32minute pb. Very happy with myself. (And know that I really should do some run training, if with my crap training I can knock over a 5h marathon, then with real training, sub4 should be doable, right?)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Cape_Horn said:

Guess that means I wasn't carrying the Tranny Lantern - Sorry, I was standing next to you in the chute for the prize giving and didn't properly introduce myself.  

Run was... well, I won't say good, but 20k/wk running is not really conducive to marathon running. Slowed down earlier than last year (around the 23k mark not the 26k mark) but had been going about 30s/km faster before then. Managed to have my legs sort of come back after  k of walking, and could tool around at just over 7m/k's for the rest, walking the uphills. Can't properly feel my knees today.

End result? 4h52m, and a 32minute pb. Very happy with myself. (And know that I really should do some run training, if with my crap training I can knock over a 5h marathon, then with real training, sub4 should be doable, right?)

Well done C-H, a pb is always a great achievement.

I think youre onto something there about doing some more training & your times come down. Maybe give a try & see 😉😊

1 hour ago, Cape_Horn said:

Hey no worries, I did see the Tranny cap but I'm here so infrequently now I don't identify as a Tranny ( ... ) so if you had said you were Cape_Horn I would have said 'who?', as you would have done for me.

Sorry to take off on you but I was at the 'I just want this to be over and the quickest way is to run to the finish' stage having done run/walk from the beginning. It felt like I was flying but it turns out it was a 6min final KM so I guess it's all relative. I did end up beating the next person by 45 seconds so it wasn't totally wasted effort.

Great PB, definitely one to be very proud of.

Today I'm moving like my 78 year old father in law who is 120kg and has had two knee and hip replacements.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, xblane said:

Does anyone use LCW as an A race? 

I love the concept but race so infrequently that I don't know if I can justify it for 50% of my racing calendar.

I wondered about the target market for this race, along with the scheduling & promotion. Is it for people who are thinking of doing an ironman next year and want to test out the distances? It's tough for it to be an A race when the bike is 'not a race, it's a timed event', allows drafting, group rides etc.

It was noticeable that there was zero tri club presence, and as was said earlier no much on social media either. https://twitter.com/LCWJervisBay hasn't been updated since November 2016, FB had one or two posts per day with a few more after the finish yesterday.

For me, I did it because it was motivation to do some training, and financial reasons - it was cheaper to enter than an ironman, I can drive there so no flights required, I have family living there so free accomodation. (And I thought I could do OK with an 8 week training plan instead of my normal 30 week IM one... hmmm).

And, I'll be honest, the medal is really cool.

• Thanks 1

Also. IMO, there should just be one (or two, if you have to split aerobar vs non) 180km wave start(s) for the bike. I stupidly said I expected to do less than 7 hours, not thinking that it meant I would start an hour later and it was a pretty lonely ride. Those '7hr+' stick people with their fancy bikes all had an amazing day to do sub-6 ;)

1 hour ago, xblane said:

Does anyone use LCW as an A race? 

It was an A race for me hence my disappointment with the bike but pleased with the swim and run.

41 minutes ago, WhiffyFuzzball said:

Also. IMO, there should just be one (or two, if you have to split aerobar vs non) 180km wave start(s) for the bike. I stupidly said I expected to do less than 7 hours, not thinking that it meant I would start an hour later and it was a pretty lonely ride. Those '7hr+' stick people with their fancy bikes all had an amazing day to do sub-6 ;)

Totally agree. A lot of people made the choice to go earlier because of the weather and Bosco pointed out that when he was there at that time in the morning it was not made obvious that it was for +7hours only.

56 minutes ago, monkie said:

It was an A race for me hence my disappointment with the bike but pleased with the swim and run.

Totally agree. A lot of people made the choice to go earlier because of the weather and Bosco pointed out that when he was there at that time in the morning it was not made obvious that it was for +7hours only.

I just the 90k this year on my roadie because I love that course,  did the whole event last year. Some friends from tri clubs were there but not in great numbers. I saw lots of drafting from peeps on their bars & I dont think anyone was given a penalty.  For me it seems as though they havent worked out who their target market is & havent hit any one in particular. None of my cycling buddies knew about the event. EE are good are marketing EE events, seems LCW owners need to do more marketing to get the numbers. Its a great concept & a great weekend

32 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Its a great concept & a great weekend

Agreed. There were some niggles from last year improved for this year (i.e. more bike aid stations) but still some to go. To be expected after only the second year.

• Like 1

Just now, monkie said:

Agreed. There were some niggles from last year improved for this year (i.e. more bike aid stations) but still some to go. To be expected after only the second year.

If it was a new company that was new to putting on events yes, but Emo (and no offence meant, I give my time to emo for events where needed) has been doing it a long time and should know better.  

5 minutes ago, willie said:

If it was a new company that was new to putting on events yes, but Emo (and no offence meant, I give my time to emo for events where needed) has been doing it a long time and should know better.  

True but I would say that the niggles this time were to do with format (i.e. bike wave starts) which is unique to this event... 

5 hours ago, Surfer said:

Agree - I only knew about it from reading here. Huge lack of publicity & the website, social media coverage is woeful. 

We all used to buy tri mags where this stuff was advertised. 

Now I don’t. 

So much online you miss everything. 

Maybe a monthly online mag on here with races and training tips might be an idea. 

@willie certainly a way to make some cash. 

1 hour ago, willie said:

Agree but Emo is working with LCW here & its their format & quite seperate. I couldnt make it to one of Emo's event, I could transfer my entry to all other EE events but not LCW. 

I think the entry fees were more this year too? Everyone on the day, organisers & volunteers were fantastic as always

40 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Agree but Emo is working with LCW here & its their format & quite seperate. I couldnt make it to one of Emo's event, I could transfer my entry to all other EE events but not LCW. 

I think the entry fees were more this year too? Everyone on the day, organisers & volunteers were fantastic as always

Yeah there's a complicated relationship between LCW Global, EE and also Sports 3? Price hike probably didn't help either but still cheaper than a full distance tri and a much more fun weekend...

• Like 1

Hi all,

To answer the earlier question - this was my A race. At least for Spring and first part of summer. Mainly as Wanaka full got cancelled after I entered it, but still going over for the half.

Good to chat to Cape Horn at the start, and glad everyone got around.

I had a great time, that swim was a fun challenge huh. The bike was a good challenge too, the last hour was as good a test as any IM I've done. And the run was fun. Coming from Canberra I love a run by the beach.

So for the record, I had a 1.08 swim, 5.18 bike and 3.11 run, 9.38 total and 3rd overall. But holy smokes I could see some runners making up time.

And I agree that I hope this continues as a great alternative to IM branded races.

cheers

Adrian 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WhiffyFuzzball said:

I wondered about the target market for this race, along with the scheduling & promotion. Is it for people who are thinking of doing an ironman next year and want to test out the distances? It's tough for it to be an A race when the bike is 'not a race, it's a timed event', allows drafting, group rides etc.

I had it down as an A race this year but you have to re-frame how you look at it. The 'triathlon blinkers' have to come off. This is not a triathlon, it's more like a stage race weekend. Look at in the concept of that and your overall placing, either as a LCW athlete or for the individual events and then it makes more sense.  Go as fast as you can in each stage, work with their rules and compare yourself year on year.

I'll admit it makes little sense for your first time but when you get some YoY improvements, you learn to understand what mix is best is best for you and how to get the best results. Look at it like that and you definitely target it as an 'A' event.

or, just use it as a training hit out. It works both ways but doesn't work if you keep thinking 'tri'.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FuiFui said:

Hi all,

To answer the earlier question - this was my A race. At least for Spring and first part of summer. Mainly as Wanaka full got cancelled after I entered it, but still going over for the half.

Good to chat to Cape Horn at the start, and glad everyone got around.

I had a great time, that swim was a fun challenge huh. The bike was a good challenge too, the last hour was as good a test as any IM I've done. And the run was fun. Coming from Canberra I love a run by the beach.

So for the record, I had a 1.08 swim, 5.18 bike and 3.11 run, 9.38 total and 3rd overall. But holy smokes I could see some runners making up time.

And I agree that I hope this continues as a great alternative to IM branded races.

cheers

Adrian 

Didn't realise you were a Tranny mate! I should have said hi! Great run after that bike, I cheated a bit by being a crap cyclist (although went all out) and focussing on the run.

Well done on 3rd overall seriously impressive to drop a 5:18 on that bike course!