monkie

Long Course Weekend - Who's in?

In some serious need of motivation... am feeling like crap after an intense travelling week. Sacked off training today.

So... who do I have to "beat" at LCW? I'm hoping to take 10 mins off the swim with not having to race from Adelaide... about 60 mins off the bike after training regularly on the bike for a year (last year I had 5 weeks of bike training!) and gonna try and knock out close to a 3hr run (down 22 mins from last year). Given the last week though I'm becoming dubious!

• Like 2

I just want to beat my bike time on the run. that is all. 

Training weekend for me, I meant to get out last year but it never happened. I'll probably help out on the event side of things if I'm there as well. just add to the madness. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, willie said:

I just want to beat my bike time on the run. that is all. 

Training weekend for me, I meant to get out last year but it never happened. I'll probably help out on the event side of things if I'm there as well. just add to the madness. 

You can tow me round the bike and I'll ummm... give you high 5s on the run? 😛

Have fun out there, was a tough weekend for me last year and think I still need another year to forget the last 50k of the bike before I return ....

I'm considering doing it as a for WS70.3

Maybe the 3.8K ocean swim on Fri / the 180K bike (training ride), and then 21.1k run on sunday

Edited by Suburban Kid
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, monkie said:

In some serious need of motivation... am feeling like crap after an intense travelling week. Sacked off training today.

So... who do I have to "beat" at LCW? I'm hoping to take 10 mins off the swim with not having to race from Adelaide... about 60 mins off the bike after training regularly on the bike for a year (last year I had 5 weeks of bike training!) and gonna try and knock out close to a 3hr run (down 22 mins from last year). Given the last week though I'm becoming dubious!

Go get em mate :)

http://www.lcwjervisbay.com

6 hours ago, willie said:

Where is everyone staying? 

We're at the Dungowan Waterfront Apartments - a bit out of town but a lovely spot. 

39 minutes ago, Surfer said:

So what distances are people doing? The bona fide LCW or a mix up?

Me, I'm a heavyweight and like the sound of the long stuff. 

Wifey is doing her second "tri" and is doing the half distance. She doesnt know yet but she will when she's back from an army trip :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Surfer said:

So what distances are people doing? The bona fide LCW or a mix up?

Full and complete. I have ideas above my station.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, monkie said:

Full and complete. I have ideas above my station.

You’ll be fine after your bike training this year. :)

Interesting change to the rules this year:

Competitors in the aerobar waves will be dispatched at regular intervals in a time-trial manner, and will be subject to a 10m non-drafting zone. Drafting infringements will result in a 10 minute blue card time penalty for 180km competitors and a 5 minute blue card time pen

Those with aerobars are going in a different group to those of us without... so they are basically running two races...

That confirms my decision to use the roadie this year!

• Like 1

On 11/09/2018 at 8:32 AM, MSP said:

Have fun out there, was a tough weekend for me last year and think I still need another year to forget the last 50k of the bike before I return ....

At least you saw the last 50km of the bike last year. (Still annoyed about that)

Back for round 2, now with... about the same if not less bike training... (wait - how was that a good plan?)

Current estimates. 1h22m swim, 7h35m bike (15mins less if I decide to take the TT) and 5h35m run.

7 hours ago, Surfer said:

Wonder why rule change?

FP - is it like this when you do LCW?

No it isn’t. All bikes go in the same waves. There are waves dependent on estimated or actual finish times ( from previous years) and your chip won’t work if you don’t start in your allotted wave but there is no separation based on equipment.

Edited by FatPom
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Surfer said:

Wonder why rule change?

FP - is it like this when you do LCW?

I imagine it's a combination of safety and fairness... But not sure!

Hi guys, I entered last night. 3.8k swim, 180k bike but I took soft option of 21km run. Anyone have a spare bike rack and seat to bike start/finish from/to Huskisson on Saturday morning? 

7 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Hi guys, I entered last night. 3.8k swim, 180k bike but I took soft option of 21km run. Anyone have a spare bike rack and seat to bike start/finish from/to Huskisson on Saturday morning? 

Sorry mate we have a car full already and aren't staying in Huski :(

11 hours ago, Bosco said:

I should be able to offer you something.

Hey all, just to clarify the difference for bike day rules. This year the bike day is sanctioned by Triathlon Australia where we have to abide by their “race rules” ie.drafting and non drafting regulations. Last year was independently insured and as such bike day was a sportif, the same as it is at LCW Wales - hope this helps - Seb

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Sebee said:

Hey all, just to clarify the difference for bike day rules. This year the bike day is sanctioned by Triathlon Australia where we have to abide by their “race rules” ie.drafting and non drafting regulations. Last year was independently insured and as such bike day was a sportif, the same as it is at LCW Wales - hope this helps - Seb

Awesome. Good to know. See you there!

My strategy has just been blown! I was hoping to blag my way into partnering around the bike (I said I would do the hills) and then be fresh enough to do a 3 hour marathon but my bike buddy has pulled the plug :(

What is everybody's expected bike times? If I have to do it solo I might switch back to the TT...

Willie is getting fat and old and realises getting back into training hurts more the older and longer you leave it... 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, monkie said:

My strategy has just been blown! I was hoping to blag my way into partnering around the bike (I said I would do the hills) and then be fresh enough to do a 3 hour marathon but my bike buddy has pulled the plug :(

What is everybody's expected bike times? If I have to do it solo I might switch back to the TT...

If your plan was to work with others on the bike and be fresh for the run, I would stick with that. Work on the roadie with those that you meet along the ride, you will drop some, get dropped by others but could be valuable experience to learn about 'instinctive' pacing, which can be very handy if your gadgets go dark.

I'm a big fan of this approach in the learning phase, it teaches you to 'think on your wheels'. If your main goal is for an IM prep, then go the TT bike.

9 minutes ago, FatPom said:

If your plan was to work with others on the bike and be fresh for the run, I would stick with that. Work on the roadie with those that you meet along the ride, you will drop some, get dropped by others but could be valuable experience to learn about 'instinctive' pacing, which can be very handy if your gadgets go dark.

I'm a big fan of this approach in the learning phase, it teaches you to 'think on your wheels'. If your main goal is for an IM prep, then go the TT bike.

Wise words. Main goal is to try and smash the run and hit a podium which current running form means should be possible. I'll just have to try and be charming!

E2A: That's a podium for the run, know I won't hit it for the whole weekend!

Edited by monkie
  • Like 1

Monkie - I have no idea on course, so no real clue on ‘speed’. I am not looking to race the bike - looking to run well in half. So for me it’s an easy first 60k, 60k at Ironman effort, 60k at half Ironman effort - all that could go out the window in first 10k if a group forms at right effort. I suspect around 5.45/6 hours Happy for company if it suits. 

The first 'lap' is interesting, the next 3 are boring. Unless you find the right group in the first lap, just do your thing, and hopefully grab a group after the first lap.

At least there are more aid stations this year. (well, more access to the aid station) - Hopefully there will be coke available (paging Seb... coke at the aid station please, I would prefer not having a repeat of last years dancing pink elephants...)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Bosco said:

Monkie - I have no idea on course, so no real clue on ‘speed’. I am not looking to race the bike - looking to run well in half. So for me it’s an easy first 60k, 60k at Ironman effort, 60k at half Ironman effort - all that could go out the window in first 10k if a group forms at right effort. I suspect around 5.45/6 hours Happy for company if it suits. 

Sounds ideal I'm aiming for around 6 but might fade for the last 40k if I feel like I've burned too many matched to run well the next day! I'll be in Tranny "paintsplash" kit so should be easy to spot and will be be-hatted on the Friday :D

52 minutes ago, monkie said:

That was rather choppy! Fun though. Managed 1:14 which is 7 mins faster than last year and I saw dolphins!

Good stuff mate, go get it tomorrow :)

Bloody dolphins - HR through the roof! Looks we came out together Monkie - a 1.12 for me (I had a yellow cap). I had a last minute change to plans as well sorry, a mechanical on roadie yesterday. I am on TT tomorrow. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bosco said:

Bloody dolphins - HR through the roof! Looks we came out together Monkie - a 1.12 for me (I had a yellow cap). I had a last minute change to plans as well sorry, a mechanical on roadie yesterday. I am on TT tomorrow. 

That's a shame but I shall use it as an exercise in making new friends! Come and say hi anyway, I'll be easier to recognise in trannie gear! 

P.S. Well done on the swim, I wanted to go faster but just couldn't get into it on the way to the first buoy each lap as I was being properly smacked around by the waves.

Edited by monkie

The missus is down there. 1:05 which she is happy enough after limited swimming leading in due to shoulder injury (simple bike fall back 5-6 months ago). 

9 hours ago, Shuffla said:

The missus is down there. 1:05 which she is happy enough after limited swimming leading in due to shoulder injury (simple bike fall back 5-6 months ago). 

I'm impressed!

On 16/10/2018 at 12:46 PM, monkie said:

will be be-hatted

Haha, that's better than my "chuffed" 

6 minutes ago, Surfer said:

How was the ride ????

Horrible. I had an absolutely miserable day. The roadie was a terrible choice in the end because in my wave there were only three people on them and it quickly transpired I wanted to be considerably faster than they wanted to go... so I spent the day on my own (the other road bike groups had gone 45 minutes before we started) basically doing a time trial on a road bike 😞

Also the rules about drafting weren't enforced as they had been published... the published rules stated that if you had aerobars then you had to maintain a 10m draft zone. This became on the day if you were on the aerobars. Which allows those with them to pick and choose depending on the situation and many people (not unreasonably and entirely within the stated rules) would ping along on their bars for a while and then bunch up to save some watts.

My NP was 178W (high for me) and I only managed 30 mins faster than last year when I worked with some other folk. Also worried I've cooked myself for tomorrow.

Meh, miserable.

On the plus side great to see so many trannies and thanks for all the shouts of encouragement!

Aw thats no good. Sorry to hear. How come you didnt ride with the group that went off earlier?

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

Aw thats no good. Sorry to hear. How come you didnt ride with the group that went off earlier?

Because I had ideas above my station. The early group is for 7+ hours, my aim was to find a bunch in the later group that would push me a bit... I should have gone with the earlier group.

Ah right. 

Refocus for a good run tomorrow,  Im sure youll have a blast & do that time youre after ☺

• Like 1

Thanks to Cape_Horn, I was out there early. I left in early group on TT ( I was given the impression all TTs other than top. 10 were early) - overbiked for 140k before squarely hitting the wall. A 5.52 - feeling sorry for myself as well Monkie. Ambitions for the half I think are squarely gone as I biked at half Ironman effort for far too long. It was cool as a BOP/MOP to have that feeling of being towards the front of a race for a while! 

That 4 lap course is brutal mentally - that long drag out for the last time was tough for the brain! (Body was gone so it wasn’t feeling much!). First lap was awesome - great through that valley. 

Road surface no where near as bad as I was expecting - a slow course though for me. I have never biked harder (ave or NP) and it’s my slowest 180k ride ever. I have not spent anywhere near enough time aero so maybe position falling apart had a bit to do with it. 

For someone having a tough day - you kept that smile Monkie. It gave me a good pick me up each lap.

• Like 2

The problem with having a score to settle, is sometimes you just shouldn't.

Knowing I am not endurance fit atm, I knew leaving in the 7+ hour wave would be a very good idea. Road bike, because I was having issues with the brakes on the TT bike last weekend, and haven't picked up new pads yet (any suggestions for Carbon rims? the 8yo swiss stop yellows are glazed and cooked, and locking up instancly atm, not something I wanted to test in the first lap today)

The statement from last year was 'Dancing Pink Elephants'' (And more importantly, there were a few people who started hallucinating last year, not just me) and I was off the bike after the 2nd of 3 laps. The change in course this year was... different. All I wanted to do was finish.

After a few flats (So I pulled 4 tubes from my pockets post race, and 6 spend CO2 cartridges - mostly leeched off other competitors - people were awesome today) with the last one having valve issues, and lasting ~15km between top ups, this was not a very good ride for me. Big props to Bosco who gave me his rear wheel when he finished, just so I could finish my own last lap. Also a shout out to Kieran from EE who was on the Aid station, making sure I was okay, and even sourcing up some extra tubes for me. Above and Beyond.

Total? 7h50m gun time, 6h59m moving, NP of 135w - Completely cooked

Tomorrow is going to suck. except that it should be raining, so there is a plus. Just have to roll around in sub6. Good Luck to all.

Also - Heard from an EE team member that the run course is slightly different this year, there is a tretch of path the council hasn't finished working on, so we have some beach running tomorrow.

• Like 1

That’s a tough day at the office Cape Horn. 

The missus had a solid day on the bike and was first female home in 6:14. Has a tidy 40 min lead on the field before tomorrow but last weeks Melb Mara might slow her a bit. 

• Like 1

Sleep well Trannies, enjoy tomorrow. One thing is certain, you would have crappy punctures to deal with 😊

Sounds like some solid efforts all round guys. Monkie, don't beat yourself up too much, it takes some years to get this stuff right and it's to like you can hit this course once a month or anything. I'm not sure about the bunching in Oz but I know I won't do LCW Wales again until it is closed roads or they make greater separation between the speed/skill level groups. It's just too popular now for those roads and can make for a frustrating day out.

Good luck tomorrow all :)

9 hours ago, FatPom said:

'm not sure about the bunching in Oz but I know I won't do LCW Wales again until it is closed roads or they make greater separation between the speed/skill level groups. It's just too popular now for those roads and can make for a frustrating day out.

Good luck tomorrow all :)

Opposite problem here. With fewer than 100 (or thereabouts) doing the full 180km and with 30 of those leaving 45 minutes before the rest it was desolate out there. I saw about three groups well ahead of me and very little else. Hence lonely!

Good news is the legs feel awake this morning Bad news is that it's windy AF. 

• Like 1