Sign in to follow this  
goughy

Changing front end of roadie from a quill stem??

Ok, just trying to suss some stuff out before I go ordering.  My roadie has a quill stem, and I'm thinking of changing it out, as well as the bars.  I've always hated the bars shape.

I know I'm gonna need either the people design or deda stem adaptor, and I'm gonna need a new stem and the bars.  Will need to do new brake cables at least, and I have Bar tape here.

But I'm wondering if there's anything else I need to change inside this?  I don't really wanna pull it apart yet cause it'll take the bike of the road until I got stuff and then got around to doing it.  So just wondering if anyone's got an idea?

IMG_20180910_125346.jpg

Yep, love em (though the fact I haven't had to replace them helps).

Would it be worth replacing the headset as well, say to all black to match bars, stem, spacers etc?

You guys took care of that last year!!!!!!    But this ones sentimental, unless I break the frame I won't ever be replacing it.

Just now, goughy said:

You guys took care of that last year!!!!!!    But this ones sentimental, unless I break the frame I won't ever be replacing it.

N + 1 Goughy... Either way it doesnt matter, even if it's new to you. Wan't a Malvern Star Oppy with 10 speed (56cm I think?) I reckon we could do a deal.

And I know what you mean, I still have an 8 speed Cro-Mo Apollo roadie I won a lot of my first races on (much to the annoyance of those I was racing against!). I still have it and was worried I wrote it off earlier this year. I have a panel beater "straighten it" and all good :)

This was my best friends favourite bike when he died.  His wife and kids loaned it to me to do my first solo tri (Goldie him) and then gifted it to me.  Will ride it till it gives up the ghost, or more likely I do.  Already upgraded a few aspects of it, but the front needs a change.  I'd put di2 or etap on it before I'd replace it.  But we all know none of those things are happening.

Edited by goughy
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goughy said:

This was my best friends favourite bike when he died.  His wife and kids loaned it to me to do my first solo tri (Goldie him) and then gifted it to me.  Will ride it till it gives up the ghost, or more likely I do.  Already upgraded a few aspects of it, but the front needs a change.  I'd put di2 or etap on it before I'd replace it.  But we all know none of those things are happening.

That's a great story mate. No wonder it's not going anywhere. Personally, I'd try keep it almost the same just 'cause. My first bike I mentioned above is still relatively the same bar a few consumables Quill Stem and all. 

• Like 2

I upgraded it to 10 speed as that's what he wanted to do with it (that was my excuse anyway).  I kinda like the bianchi quill stem, but the bars themselves have needed a change for years as they are actually a pretty uncomfortable profile.  I just wouldn't spend the money.  But if I'm gonna do that I'd like to actually make the front end fit me a bit better, and one thing I learned from that bike fit last year was how compacting myself up was doing a disservice to myself, as much as stretching myself too long!  It's the frame in particular I love, 'dale stars and stripes theme.  Plus it's size is spot on for me.

Appreciate that ex, but I wanna modernise her up a bit.  And I love tinkering with things I know nothing about!