Peter

Hot Cold hot cold water recovery? Worth it?

Anyone got any articles on this being worthwhile and why it works?

I was running with a guy this morning that is a big marathon running and ultras too.

He said after an run over 10K he will have a warm shower and then when clean he will turn it to cold and put his legs under.  Arms then head/back for about 2 minutes and then go back to hot water for 2 mins and then finish with cold water again.

I can only find info from 2004 saying its worthwhile.

But 14 years on, research could have changed.

Anyone got anything on it?

P

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Anyone got any articles on this being worthwhile and why it works?

I was running with a guy this morning that is a big marathon running and ultras too.

He said after an run over 10K he will have a warm shower and then when clean he will turn it to cold and put his legs under.  Arms then head/back for about 2 minutes and then go back to hot water for 2 mins and then finish with cold water again.

I can only find info from 2004 saying its worthwhile.

But 14 years on, research could have changed.

Anyone got anything on it?

P

Nah, better off just keeping the blood flowing. Get to work on the tools or doing some concreting, have a few litres of tea from your Chinese herbalist and you'll be good to go the next morning at 3.30am.

2 minutes ago, pieman said:

Nah, better off just keeping the blood flowing. Get to work on the tools or doing some concreting, have a few litres of tea from your Chinese herbalist and you'll be good to go the next morning at 3.30am.

Yeah that's how real endurance/toughness is built - oh and keep the protein intake up - it's 4.15 am not 3.30 - (that's only on the odd occasion ) - I don't like to cold water - it just doesn't seem to be being "kind to your body" - bit like those hard massages that hurt like hell - I honestly can't see any value in that - if your muscles are that sore hurting them more doesn't make sense 

I agree re those hard massages.  Whats the point in someone inflicting pain?  Unless you get off on that.

anyway back to cold water then hot water repeat?

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

I agree re those hard massages.  Whats the point in someone inflicting pain?  Unless you get off on that.

anyway back to cold water then hot water repeat?

I was always told that just finishing with the cold was the way to go.. Unfortunately, I cant really get the water cold enough up here so no real point even trying.. although, living in a house of females my shower is never warm...

I was at the AIS once and after the days sessions I and another coach were sitting in the spa at around 32-35C - and he suggested we should try to cold therapy pool which was 8C - I thought alright I'll give it a go and jumped in (I thought it was waist deep) it was over 2m deep - I got the "icecream headache from hell" - lesson learned

I really don't subscribe to the theory - I find lowering my balls into really cold water too difficult to face voluntarily - if it happens in a race I'll face it but until then I believe you should be kind to the body - it's only one you'll ever get 

• Haha 1

Anecdotal only, but my friend was talking to a PhD student studying this... they were having a tough time as everything just seem to be inconclusive. 

I feel like the old 'if it works for you' might be the go. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, xblane said:

Anecdotal only, but my friend was talking to a PhD student studying this... they were having a tough time as everything just seem to be inconclusive. 

You'd think they would have done some research for their literature review before commencing  😅

• Like 1

My sister is a sport psych but knows a lot of coaches. I was inflicting ice baths on myself and the opinion of her mates (no links I'm afraid) is that either a hot or cold bath is good.

But (with her SP hat on) she says that a lot of it is about your ritual. If it's part of it and it makes you happy then rock on. If it doesn't then don't. 

• Like 1

Lisa Bentley used to always stand in the ocean pool at Forster after a run. Seemed to work for her.... but getting thigh deep would be my limits. like AP said...our balls a precious.

6 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Lisa Bentley used to always stand in the ocean pool at Forster after a run. Seemed to work for her.... but getting thigh deep would be my limits. like AP said...our balls a precious.

The water never cold at Forster. 

But (with her SP hat on) she says that a lot of it is about your ritual. If it's part of it and it makes you happy then rock on. If it doesn't then don't. 

We come back to the simple fact - if you think it works - it does

There's a pretty good book called "Cure" - it's all about the placebo effect - it demonstrates just how powerful our mind can be - there are so many examples - why don't people work on this part of training more often 🙄

5 minutes ago, AP said:

We come back to the simple fact - if you think it works - it does

There's a pretty good book called "Cure" - it's all about the placebo effect - it demonstrates just how powerful our mind can be - there are so many examples - why don't people work on this part of training more often 🙄

There is no box on Strava for that....

• Haha 1