BarryBevan

Juggling life training

As kids get older (both weekend mornings soccer, swimming in the weeks, karate, wife has senior job as do I), trying to have everything. Accepting that I wont be winning anything. Have averaged consistently 10 hours a week, few above, few below, two weeks where I got sick.

Swim 2 times per week, able to swim 2 * 1900 holding 1:40

Bike 5 hours over 2 rides TH hard racing stuff, one or two other rides easier whenever I can fit in

Run about 3 hours 35 K a week most weeks, can run 40 min 10 K

Hoping I can still give a decent account of myself at Shep and go low 5, is it worth doing, or give it away for a while?

1 minute ago, AA7 said:

No question, do it. Easy sub 5.

Thanks hope so, I'll wind up for 6 weeks to 15 hours with some more volume, but otherwise health or life starts to fall apart.

Question is why do you want to? I race because I bloody love it. I have a great time out. Yeah I want to hit my time targets but that depends on work / life. Even if I wasn't gonna smash a PB I would still race because racing is the most fun :)

8 minutes ago, monkie said:

Question is why do you want to? I race because I bloody love it. I have a great time out. Yeah I want to hit my time targets but that depends on work / life. Even if I wasn't gonna smash a PB I would still race because racing is the most fun :)

Sort of for the same reason, but I do want to be one step away from the medical tent

1 minute ago, BarryBevan said:

Sort of for the same reason, but I do want to be one step away from the medical tent

From my limited experience of triathlon and extensive experience of medical provision you won't be anywhere near it on 10 hours a week mate :)

BB. I did my first race, a HIM, in 20 years when I was just under 50. I had similar stats to you at the time, but couldn't quite break 40 minutes, and I romped it in. You won't have a problem going under 5hrs, and unless you do something stupid, you'll finish feeling great.

• Like 1

Been there done that. 

What I found with kids is;

I found I was always riding against a clock. No effing around for coffee stops etc.

And I started my day a lot earlier than most.

You can start riding at 4:30 am.

You can run after the kids have gone to bed.

Triathlon does not pay the bills. Do what you can.......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Hoping I can still give a decent account of myself at Shep and go low 5, is it worth doing, or give it away for a while?

Do you care if you give a good showing, or do you enjoy it regardless?  Sounds to me, when it comes to the crunch, tri is not the #1 priority you have to worry about.  So do it, have fun, high five every kid that sticks a hand out, including crossing to the other side of the road of you have to, and have a frickin ball while doing it.  You could have been doing the dishes!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, goughy said:

Do you care if you give a good showing, or do you enjoy it regardless?  Sounds to me, when it comes to the crunch, tri is not the #1 priority you have to worry about.  So do it, have fun, high five every kid that sticks a hand out, including crossing to the other side of the road of you have to, and have a frickin ball while doing it.  You could have been doing the dishes!

Yes, look at it as get to be healthy do something reasonably well. Do get caught up with the if you don't go sub x you have had a bad day, which is not really the case.

I do two half's a year just for fun. Went 5:10 at shep last year and had a great day, thanked every volunteer, high fived kids, slowed down a lot more than in previous years in the last 10 K's, but left happy.

Do the same with bike racing, I'm not great but I get out and do local C grade and can still manage sub 20 park runs.

Thanks for helping me reflect (which was the purpose anyway of the thread)

• Like 1

I just realised I was actually doing the dishes when I wrote that!  Didn't even click.

• Like 1

10 hours is more than I'd normally train for a half. I'm jealous of your swim speed and I suspect 5 hours in good conditions wouldnt' be all that hard.

Do it because you love it and because its fun and social. I've been doing this sport for 20 years and I'd much rather do less and have time to drink coffee with mates than hit a certain time.

I don't know what your external social life is like, but if its anything like ours its damn near impossible to catch up with non sport related friends who have similiar age kids, we are all off doing a multitude of things. I tried to organise a catchup and we ended up some time in November.

However, its the week to week training with mates (and the wife) and the occassional club social night that keeps me happy. Its also about being fit and well and having the energy to do things with the family. If you didn't do this you could certainly focus on a single sport and spend less time training, but I reckon I'd get bored and injured quickly.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Evil Guru said:

10 hours is more than I'd normally train for a half. I'm jealous of your swim speed and I suspect 5 hours in good conditions wouldnt' be all that hard.

Do it because you love it and because its fun and social. I've been doing this sport for 20 years and I'd much rather do less and have time to drink coffee with mates than hit a certain time.

I don't know what your external social life is like, but if its anything like ours its damn near impossible to catch up with non sport related friends who have similiar age kids, we are all off doing a multitude of things. I tried to organise a catchup and we ended up some time in November.

However, its the week to week training with mates (and the wife) and the occassional club social night that keeps me happy. Its also about being fit and well and having the energy to do things with the family. If you didn't do this you could certainly focus on a single sport and spend less time training, but I reckon I'd get bored and injured quickly.

Think this is where I'm at, external social life is almost nil. I have moved on from big training and plans and do my two squads, ride a few bunches and races and run with the dog. This is fun and does not feel like work, if I zwift I do a race, not canned work outs.

18 months ago I decided to give up being serious and coaching. went 1 % slower than I did being serious (ten minutes), saved a lot of money and a lot of stress

• Like 1

18 months ago I decided to give up being serious and coaching. went 1 % slower than I did being serious (ten minutes), saved a lot of money and a lot of stress

Yes but you're probably trading off what you built by being serious earlier - endurance is an accumulative thing - that's why it takes years to develop an endurance athlete to his/her potential 

2 hours ago, AP said:

Yes but you're probably trading off what you built by being serious earlier - endurance is an accumulative thing - that's why it takes years to develop an endurance athlete to his/her potential 

Hmm, something in that. I did notice the massive cliff that happened at the 13 k mark of the run. Which did not happen in the past, will see how big it is this year and how early it hits

4 minutes ago, BarryBevan said:

Hmm, something in that. I did notice the massive cliff that happened at the 13 k mark of the run. Which did not happen in the past, will see how big it is this year and how early it hits

Don't expect it - the more relaxed you are about outcomes the less likely the cliff will appear - that's mental - seriously being prepared for a difficult part of the race is OK as long as you look forward to encountering it and "turning it on" - if you fear it - it'll be so much worse 

36 minutes ago, AP said:

Don't expect it - the more relaxed you are about outcomes the less likely the cliff will appear - that's mental - seriously being prepared for a difficult part of the race is OK as long as you look forward to encountering it and "turning it on" - if you fear it - it'll be so much worse 

True, once you start to expect it, it can be easier  to give in earlier. Reflect on Im one, had no idea what to expect, walked at the 21 K mark for a bit, then got a bit annoyed after walk running through to 28 k where I said to myself, I did not pay all this money to walk and then ran the last 12 K sub 5 min pace.

Now if I had only done that earlier

Barry, I do about 10 hrs a week and you are faster in all 3 disciplines as far as I can tell ( def swim and run).   Earlier in the year I did a half that was sort 2km on the bike and 1km on the run and managed 5.23. 

Im sure you would be able to do 5.00 with your engine.

• Like 2

When the half is over don't forget that it isn't long course or quit the sport.  Sprints, Olys or even enticers are just as valid if that's all you have time to train for a performance you'd be happy with while still doing all of the really important things in your life.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 8 September 2018 at 6:46 PM, BarryBevan said:

As kids get older (both weekend mornings soccer, swimming in the weeks, karate, wife has senior job as do I), trying to have everything. Accepting that I wont be winning anything. Have averaged consistently 10 hours a week, few above, few below, two weeks where I got sick.

Swim 2 times per week, able to swim 2 * 1900 holding 1:40

Bike 5 hours over 2 rides TH hard racing stuff, one or two other rides easier whenever I can fit in

Run about 3 hours 35 K a week most weeks, can run 40 min 10 K

Just do it. Concentrate on yout nutrition during bike and early part of run and you should be right. I know it's a textbook comment, but too many people get carried away at Shep with the fact it's a flat and fast course. They all go "whacko" drop the hammer and enjoy the speed sensation and forget to eat and drink. 

If Pete and me get our collective shit together you may see us up there competing.

16 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Just do it. Concentrate on yout nutrition during bike and early part of run and you should be right. I know it's a textbook comment, but too many people get carried away at Shep with the fact it's a flat and fast course. They all go "whacko" drop the hammer and enjoy the speed sensation and forget to eat and drink. 

If Pete and me get our collective shit together you may see us up there competing.

Ha, that was last year, forgot to bring the stuff I like, bought stuff at expo that was not great, probably took on one mixed bottle the entire bike. So my bonk in the run may actually have been a case of not enough fuel

16 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Ha, that was last year, forgot to bring the stuff I like, bought stuff at expo that was not great, probably took on one mixed bottle the entire bike. So my bonk in the run may actually have been a case of not enough fuel

and the old guy in the corner lays down another wisdom bomb. Lol.

its experience. I'm guilty of falling into the "flat course - speed trap" at Shep many years ago. New bike, light winds and I had actually done some training during winter that year. I just tore into the bike course after a good swim leg and forgot to eat and drink regularly. I think I blew up 5 paces into the run leg. Long day on the run leg that year but I learnt my lesson.

think you had your lesson last year. Have you learnt from it?

• Like 1