FatPom

IM Wales: yma dwi eto

1 minute ago, Peter said:

I’ll be interested to see people watches from the wales swim. I have another friend who is doing it. She swam a 1:20. Her last Ironman 8 weeks ago she swam a 1:34. 

I am confident FP will provide all the data once he gets home! :)

Does FP race with a Garmin?? 

I thought he was a non believer? #believe #blessed 

9 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

You might be right... To Strava it is!

I just watched the start of the race on the Ironman Wales fb page, everything about it screams epic.....must get there one day

• Like 1

Cmon, where's your race report you lazy Pommy bugger :D

In truth, I'm amazed you can still do this stuff after having an Old Man Emu 4x4 shockie bolted into your back, then having it removed.  Great job.

• Like 1

14:28:53. Great to see there are no double up numbers. 

How did Flipper go ?

FM

• Thanks 1

Awesome work on an intense course!

Just found out that my team from SJA we're doing finish line medical cover. Hope you didn't need them!

Here’s the post race report!

I am shattered, need to decompress a bit and may go for the final 30 mins.

i think I went.

1.22 swim

6.58 bike

5.25 run 

plus transitions. 

Christ that was tough, very windy, mixed weather, mainly dry.

suffered some gut and plantar issues. Wheels fell off last lap of run.

30C539A2-F99D-43EE-BBE5-08AE90B42F1D.jpeg

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 8

Well done. Insane race. 

Time to chamge your name on here to tough pom. 

Well done my son!  

I hope that Ashley chick reads about your exploits Skinny P, then she'll shut up!

Well Done FP , Looking Forward to this next year ........ I think ! 

Better make Sure I train Real Hard  :unsure:

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, I will do the full report probably Tues, need to get back home and see family. Also intend to a Full English Breakfast so large that even the hungriest butt crack showing builder couldn’t get through.👍

I think results wise, despite going 80 mins quicker, I’ve actually gone bacwards. Last year I was 1308/16xx finishers and 118/166 AG.  This year I’m 1408 overall and 127 AG but I can’t see where to find out of how many that?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great job FP. Here’s the competitor numbers you sought, from the IM Tracker App.

18A14089-BDE0-4415-A936-708B1CAD990B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Cheers iFoz. I will the percentages out late but it’s looking better I think.

23 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Yeah I have 935. It says I swam 4195 mars. I do swim wide, not that bloody wide!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FatPom said:

Yeah I have 935. It says I swam 4195 mars. I do swim wide, not that bloody wide!

Mate you were just being polite. Giving the other buggers a fair go 😎👍👍

Just now, FFF1077 said:

Mate you were just being polite. Giving the other buggers a fair go 😎👍👍

Seems like I did on the bike and run as well. :lol:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, FatPom said:

The 910XT I was using at Cairns IM in 2013 had me swimming 4300 metres and, although I started wide, I swam as straight as an arrow! So there!

1 minute ago, Andrew #1 said:

The 910XT I was using at Cairns IM in 2013 had me swimming 4300 metres and, although I started wide, I swam as straight as an arrow! So there!

So what you're saying I’m still dog slow in the water haha

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Seems like I did on the bike and run as well. :lol:

Team player 👍👍

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

So what you're saying I’m still dog slow in the water haha

Were you doing dog paddle??  That would explain it.  :)

• Haha 1

Well done, mate. Enjoy the recovery and the time with the family.

Now onto the real challenge of completing on the house!!!

1 hour ago, Rimmer said:

Well done, mate. Enjoy the recovery and the time with the family.

Now onto the real challenge of completing on the house!!!

Cheers mate. Gotta find one first! Back on Winchester now in the pub 😉

OK, where to start? 

Race Day 4am and the ritual begins.  I'd spent some time Saturday evening going through what I needed to do in the morning and laid it all out.  I had my nutrition/bottles and everything I needed ready. I put my chip on so I wouldn't forget. Took everything down and had brekkie with the other athletes, on our different tables, everyone was quiet. You know the look!

5am transition opened, I joined the queue and trudged in. Transition is a 2 min walk from hotel, hooray, this I get my tyres pumped, bottles on, hand my street bag in (backpack inside to make it easier to carry all bags back) and then put my tri suit and wettie on in my room. Then it was a case of walking down to the top of the zig zag path and finding the 1;20 swim board. We also had a purple bag carrying runners for the interim swim to bike run and these have their own hook on the zig zags.

With all that done and athletes shuffled down the path it was time to wait for the mighty Welsh National Anthem, it didn't disappoint,  the noise was immense and so was the crowd of spectators. Pros went off and then we waited and at 7am, we were off. It took me 7mins to get to the timing gantry, in that time I did the usual mix of confident visualisation and complete self doubt. :lol:

Swim

Sea was not flat but pretty calm and despite the weather being extremely windy and dark storm clouds around, sighting conditions were good.   I decided to try and swim straight, which was made easier this year by some sight buoys between the big turn buoys. I also decided to swim wide at each turn. I'm a confident swimmer but not fast and I know how to handle the surf but I'm not afraid to say the shit fight at a tight turnaround freaks me out.  I took a couple whacks to the head and some general bumping but nothing major.   The water was warmer this year, 16C. (look away Roxii!). I was pleased to see 39mins for lap 1, through the Aussie exit and the wise of the crowd was deafening . Lap two was a repeat and with 1.22 on my watch I was a couple of mins quicker than last. Considering my lack of swim training, I'll take all day day long.

Swim to bike

This year I had a plan and it went pretty well, run up the zig zags, grab bag, wettie off, wash sand off feet with a water bottle, slip on the runners with elastic laces and stuff the wettie in the purple bag and run with that in my hand. This went well and I was saving time. It all fell apart in transition tent, I took ages to get arm warmers on wet arms and faffing around with cycling socks, so I ended up still burning 24mins.

Bike

The weather was tricky to judge, the run up from swim was frigging freezing with a fierce wind, so I opted for a gilet on top of my tri suit. It was a 50/50 call but I figured I would lose more time if my core was cold. I also figured I could dump in my special needs bag (mile 77). I had a SN bag with a tube, CO2 and a bottle of nutrition with half of my needs in. I did not intend to use this bottle as I'm a fan of having everything in one bottle but I also took AP's warning about the risk involved on board. So a spare bottle as insurance was put in the bag.

Being a slow swimmer and a moderately strong rider means the inevitable constant passing. I think I passed 480 people on the bike. The first section takes you out of town and into the beautiful national park, through some very rugged coastline. It was dry but windy and with my wet trisuit still wet, I was glad of the gilet, at least for now.

The first sections is best describe as rolling to fast with some heart stopping short climbs but overall easy compared to what is to come.  I had a strategy to ride within myself as again, AP's advice of riding like a person that wants to run well was ringing in my ears and I had backed myself for this run and IMO,  was as prepared for this as I was at LCW. I had high expectations of myself and don't mid admitting.

After 30 odd miles, the real 'fun' begins and you start to hit the climbs (and the crowds in the small towns villages). The weather was getting trickier, where it was cold it was bloody cold and where it was warm I felt over dressed.  Anyway, still passing folks, I ticked away the miles until we got to Narbeth where there is a steep climb and an incredible amount of people all cheering, after Narbeth the climbs and energy sapping undulations come thick and fast and I felt like I was definitely too warm now. After some crazy descents we hit Wiseman's Bridge which is mental steep and already there were some walking and I saw two low speed crashes where folks just didn't have momentum.  At the top of this climb there are loads of drunk folks dressed as nuns and monks giving blessings👍

After this, it's the might St Brides hill at Saundersfoot, this is the hill in all the clips.  It is all also very steep at the bottom with crazy crowds behind barriers.  I was feeling it now but leg wise, I felt like I was well within myself. (no PM on my bike). What you don't see on the footage is that after the initial climb, it flattens out a bit and then you have a long drag to the to top, maybe 800mtrs. For the first time that I've seen, this section was also lined with folks but no barriers, so real TdF style cheering. it was very welcome.

At special needs I dumped my gilet but kept arm warmers as it had been raining a bit and when it did rain it was clod. My theory was arm warmers pulled up and down are easier to regulate temp.

I had been using my usual nutrition strategy of sipping from my gel bottle and taking water from the aid stations and also had a couple of Torq bars cut into pieces. This has worked before for me a few times.

Back into Tenby with more crazy crowds and then out again for lap 2. I could see my tri suit was stained with some salt lines but didn't look alarming.  I was still passing folks steadily and still felt like my effort was within myself. Lap two was the same but for two things. The first, I was really noticing the extra people 450 people that had entered the race this year,  especially on lap two and a lot of people were 'coming back' to me.

The other thing that happened was between Wiseman's Bridge and St Brides Hill, I got stung in the upper leg by a wasp or a bee, I couldn't tell. I had my left leg down for a RH corner and felt something hit my leg, looked down briefly to something yellow and black disappearing behind me. Then I got a load of pain about 10 secs later, it eased after a few minutes. I didn't feel full on, so maybe it was half a sting?  Bloody hurt at the time though and is still red now.

Last climb of St Brides, crowd had thinned somewhat but still great. Decided I could afford the 90 secs to stop at special needs and grab my gilet, tube and CO2 back and descended into the Tenby crowds and hit T2 in 6.58 on my watch, the race timing gave me 7.03 and considering my plan was 7hrs and I didn't look at my watch once, I think I was spot on.

More tomorrow 😎  (not spell checked)

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 7

Well done FP - Sounds brutal... a lot harder than the 'not Winchester parkrun' where I met you last Xmas! Great work...

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, FatPom said:

Tenby, we've had a good run but we're through. It's not me, it's you. :whistling:

Others are not so sure.....

FatPomTenbyOdds.jpg

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Others are not so sure.....

FatPomTenbyOdds.jpg

Odds are too generous 😎

• Haha 1