Guest FFF1077

Sickness in the Workplace

Guest FFF1077

Hey all 

There's a BAD cough flu thing that has been going around the office. 

The latest to deal with it is the guy who works next to me. 

He doesn't like the way I operate(I'm not a bludger and I am positive towards change and progress in the workplace and business) and he's been openly coughing without covering his mouth. He knows that I am training lots and am doing Busso. 

Now I am starting to feel a tickle in my chest and have a tiny cough which feels like my breath is being taken away. 

I have mentioned it to the manager. From a safety and hygiene perspective, he was not very interested in having to deal with it. 

How do you go about dealing with illnesses like this. 

I'm doing as much as I can to stay well. But with the change in weather and this cough I am seriously worried. Last time I felt like this I had a cough for 3 months. 

Cheers all 

Get some of these. 

Cute-surgical-masks-for-dentists-2.jpg

Look after yourself if they wont. 

Spray the shit out of the work area with Glen 20 as well. If for no other reason that to piss him off

• Like 2

We had one person similar to what you are encountering, after a few days of coughing where the noise was more of a distraction in the open planning area it fell to us to have a chat with her about possibly working from home, and when required in the office to book a meeting room and work from there.

So meeting room might be your best option to insulate the others from yourself if you don't have the flexibility to work from home

Im pretty sure what I know of FF's job they are sorting their mail side by side, so working from home or a meeting room arent an option. 

Put some rancid chicken juice in his lunch box and he will be off work for a good period of time....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I would address him head on, politely but firmly ask him to cover his mouth whilst coughing. If that doesn't work then make a complaint about it. It's unacceptable and is basically assault.

In terms of practical protection get yourself some hand sanitiser and use it all the time, avoid touching your face when you can and get bang on the Armaforce. *

* The first two are scientifically proven, the last is purely annecdotal and works for me.

• Like 1

Guest FFF1077

Cheers 

I'll spray the Glen 20 around and talk to him about it. 

See how it goes. 

Already smashing the Armaforce 👌

What about when 2 of your work colleagues who are sick 24/7/365 :mad2:

One is the unhealthiest human being I've ever encountered.  Staple diet of Maccas & sugar would not be helping.  If she makes 40, I'll be stunned.

• Sad 1

How much sick leave do you have? If your colleague insists on coming to work sick, maybe you can take the opportunity to have a few days off.  You could even use the time to do some extra training.  You know, to boost your immunity and improve your overall wellbeing... 

I work in a open plan office and steralise any work station i work at before every shift. 

43 minutes ago, -H- said:

How much sick leave do you have? If your colleague insists on coming to work sick, maybe you can take the opportunity to have a few days off.  You could even use the time to do some extra training.  You know, to boost your immunity and improve your overall wellbeing... 

Heaps, but my immune system is pretty good - maybe too good!  I've only had 2 colds/flus in the last 10yrs and they only took me out for a week each. 

Sadly, the last one I caught from Typhoid Mary here in the office a few weeks ago I passed onto my wife who got it much worse than me, and has seen elevated heart rates on her return to training (i.e. high 160s during what should be 140s effort).  I've told her to back right off to avoid the heart virus problem.

Guest FFF1077
1 hour ago, -H- said:

I have heaps but my salary dictates my work attendance. We get loading because of the early start times. If your sick you lose the loading, drops us off to just above minimum wage 😕👍👍

22 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

I have heaps but my salary dictates my work attendance. We get loading because of the early start times. If your sick you lose the loading, drops us off to just above minimum wage 😕👍👍

and THAT probably explains why old mate is still showing up.... no excuse for being a knob about it with the coughing and stuff though...

43 minutes ago, pieman said:

and THAT probably explains why old mate is still showing up.... no excuse for being a knob about it with the coughing and stuff though...

Yeah. We had contractors that didn't have sick leave, and they'd get out of their coffin to get to the office.

Since working from home has been introduced, I've hardly been sick, and you rarely hear a cough at work. Unless you really are incapacitated, you can get a full day of work in and sniffle to your heart's content, at home.

• Like 1

Guest FFF1077

I spoke to him this afternoon. 

He did not want to listen to what I had to say. 

Oh well. 

16 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Oh well. 

Glen 20 or Glen 100 if you can find it, face mask then. If anyone says anything you can say you tried 😷

32 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Oh well. 

Then make a complaint. You tried to be fair but like I said mate it's assault. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Surfer said:

If anyone says anything you can say you tried

If anyone says anything, say "The guy beside me is sick, and he refuses to cover his mouth when he coughs in the office." Make sure he hears it, and the boss.

• Like 2

Sounds like a very crappy situation. If however it is the run of the mill cold, then you might feel slightly better that it is less contagious after day 5 when the coughing often starts to set in. Not covering your mouth is gross, hopefully he does not cough in your direction (I assume you are next to each other, not facing each other 😱) spreading his fluids and germs.

It is sad when you can't ask someone to cover their mouth when they cough without a shirty response, more so when they are adults. Where are people raised?! I mean even primary school education should take care of that if no one else did?

On 06/09/2018 at 10:39 AM, FFF1077 said:

Hey all 

There's a BAD cough flu thing that has been going around the office. 

The latest to deal with it is the guy who works next to me. 

He doesn't like the way I operate(I'm not a bludger and I am positive towards change and progress in the workplace and business) and he's been openly coughing without covering his mouth. He knows that I am training lots and am doing Busso. 

Now I am starting to feel a tickle in my chest and have a tiny cough which feels like my breath is being taken away. 

I have mentioned it to the manager. From a safety and hygiene perspective, he was not very interested in having to deal with it. 

How do you go about dealing with illnesses like this. 

I'm doing as much as I can to stay well. But with the change in weather and this cough I am seriously worried. Last time I felt like this I had a cough for 3 months. 

Cheers all 

Viraforce 2 tablets once a day

Olive leaf extract 15ml once a day

I swear by it. I take this at the first sign of a cold or if anyone else the house is sick. The longest I've been out for since discovering this (in mid 2016) is one night. Didn't even interrupt my training.  Up at 3:30 the next morning for swim squad.

A little $$$ but worth it. Over the counter at any chemist.

I'll send photos when I'm off the trainer. Remind me if I forget. 

13 hours ago, dazaau said:

Sounds like a very crappy situation. If however it is the run of the mill cold, then you might feel slightly better that it is less contagious after day 5 when the coughing often starts to set in. Not covering your mouth is gross, hopefully he does not cough in your direction (I assume you are next to each other, not facing each other 😱) spreading his fluids and germs.

It is sad when you can't ask someone to cover their mouth when they cough without a shirty response, more so when they are adults. Where are people raised?! I mean even primary school education should take care of that if no one else did?

So he's coughing on our mail? Eww

Guest FFF1077
2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Viraforce 2 tablets once a day

Olive leaf extract 15ml once a day

I swear by it. I take this at the first sign of a cold or if anyone else the house is sick. The longest I've been out for since discovering this (in mid 2016) is one night. Didn't even interrupt my training.  Up at 3:30 the next morning for swim squad.

A little $$$ but worth it. Over the counter at any chemist.

I'll send photos when I'm off the trainer. Remind me if I forget. 

Yeah cool thanks very much for the message. 👍👍😎

Guest FFF1077
2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

No, he's in Perth. He's coughing on Zed's mail. :)

No. I think he is out of my area...? 

I deliver to nearly 1000 houses and businesses and I would be able to recall the surname. 

Went out for a beer last night with someone and I deliver her tattooists mail. Small world. 😂✉️👍

On 06/09/2018 at 5:01 PM, FFF1077 said:

Oh well. 

Hydrate to the max.... vitamins to the max, keep warm after every training session. And tell you Co-worker he is a dead set arrogant shithead.

Oh... find a different desk.

And follow him home and then let all his tyres down.

• Haha 2

On 08/09/2018 at 6:59 AM, FFF1077 said:

No. I think he is out of my area...? 

I deliver to nearly 1000 houses and businesses and I would be able to recall the surname. 

Went out for a beer last night with someone and I deliver her tattooists mail. Small world. 😂✉️👍

.. and mine 😞

On 08/09/2018 at 8:59 AM, FFF1077 said:

So howd the date go...🤔😛

Guest FFF1077
1 minute ago, Shrek said:

So howd the date go...🤔😛

...... 🤐

I'm training for Ironman. 

I am only focusing on it. I am practising the 102% mental component that I have read about on here.... LOL ✌️😉

Guest FFF1077

On a serious note... 

I gently, really gently talked to him on Thursday. Immediately he was defensive and didn't want to discuss it so I backed off straight away. 

He's been off work since..... 

Just hoping that he doesn't play the "I was getting hassled about it" etc card 😕😕🤔

Anyway, it's nice to have no one coughing in my direction and over me. 

i called out the biggest fattest most arrogant prick in my office today for being an unhygienic sloth, i was having a slash at the urinal, he came in, had a slash, im washing my hands, he walks straight out, i called out to wash your F@#king hands, he walks back in, stares at me and straight up says NO, so i came back inside the office and put a sign in the kitchen saying so and so doesn't wash his hands after going to the toilet.....

I got in trouble from the boss.....hes now copping a barrage of memes from everyone else about not washing his hands.....

I've heard hes since washed his hands

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, KieranR said:

i called out the biggest fattest most arrogant prick in my office today for being an unhygienic sloth, i was having a slash at the urinal, he came in, had a slash, im washing my hands, he walks straight out, i called out to wash your F@#king hands, he walks back in, stares at me and straight up says NO, so i came back inside the office and put a sign in the kitchen saying so and so doesn't wash his hands after going to the toilet.....

I got in trouble from the boss.....hes now copping a barrage of memes from everyone else about not washing his hands.....

I've heard hes since washed his hands

*puts tongue in cheek*

Churchill quote: 

Young man [after seeing Churchill leave the bathroom without washing his hands]: At Eton, they taught us to wash our hands after using the toilet.
Churchill: At Harrow, they taught us not to piss on our hands.

Not sure how well that translates without knowing the intricacies of the British public school system...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monkie said:

*puts tongue in cheek*

Churchill quote: 

Young man [after seeing Churchill leave the bathroom without washing his hands]: At Eton, they taught us to wash our hands after using the toilet.
Churchill: At Harrow, they taught us not to piss on our hands.

Not sure how well that translates without knowing the intricacies of the British public school system...

Much the same, really .. they each think that they rule the world, but really don't know their arses from their elbows!

Just now, Rimmer said:

Much the same, really .. they each think that they rule the world, but really don't know their arses from their elbows!

We all know it's us Oundelians that really rule the world! ;)

On 06/09/2018 at 2:39 PM, KieranR said:

Move north, no sickness up here

the only thing in good supply up there is red dirt and bogans :P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, willie said:

the only thing in good supply up there is red dirt and bogans :P

And an emerging flock of budgy smuggler wearers.....there are reports of a bit of couple smuggling going on in town yesterday also 😂