Can someone explain to me this whole Nike thing with Colin Kaepernick?

and people burning shoes and cutting logos off shorts?

He refused to stand for the national anthem in protest about something. Some people took offense. Then Nike made him front and center of a new campaign saying people should stand up for what they believe in, or words to that effect. Previously mentioned offended people are now upset with Nike and burning their products and swearing not to buy any more.

23 minutes ago, A2K said:

Previously mentioned offended people are now upset with Nike and burning their products and swearing not to buy any more.

Every pair burnt is a pair that will end up being replaced. They'll forget about this incident and then have to go buy a new pair.

3 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Every pair burnt is a pair that will end up being replaced. They'll forget about this incident and then have to go buy a new pair.

So maybe a genius marketing move by Nike?

If you don't follow the NFL Colin was cut from the 49ers despite being a reasonable Quarterback, and every other owner refused to take him on so he has languished for 2? seasons without any sort of contract.  Trump during the election repeatedly said anyone refusing to stand for the anthem should be sacked, the NFL has moved at the pace of a snail and finally decided in the last week anyone that doesn't want to stand for the anthem can remain in the locker rooms while it is played, however anyone not standing on the field will be fined and / or worse from now on.

Trumps comments lead to some members of the Philly Eagles last season who won the superbowl refusing to go to the whitehouse which is a tradition, Trump upped the game and told the whole team not to come and they weren't invited any longer.  So the issue is still going on for a good few years now over a protest about the spate of Black American deaths by cops at the time.  As a side note Colin is still attempting to sue the NFL and the NFL owners for not offering him a contract or something.

Nike's ad coincided with labor day over there which is also seen by some to be a bit inflammatory

As a generalisation the main 'burners' and vocal opponents of Nike are Trump supporters who probably long for the pre 1990s days when Nike were actually manufactured int he US of A and it was all still great.  For every pair sold, some anti Trump supporter will probably find themselves in Nikes for the first time since they went to uni and be all confused about corporate greed versus anti-trumpism - it should be fun to watch

• Like 3

One guy that burnt his shoes forgot to take them off first.

In summary:

Proud African American with high profile in a position to highlight police racial profiling and unwarranted shooting of black Americans does so by leading a group who kneel at the playing of the American National Anthem at sporting events.

Nike, rightly or wrongly, not relevant here, chose that man to be front and centre of their new advertising campaign.

Trump supporters realise, much to their disgust, that you are not allowed to burn African Americans anymore so turn to burning their NIkes.

Edited by lawman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I wonder how many people went out and bought Nike stuff just so they could be seen burning it or putting it in the trash?

I've no problem with the add or CK or his actions, good on him for standing up  (or kneeling down) for what he believes in.

Wish he'd get back to playing though, i reckon he's a seriously talented QB.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I've no problem with the add or CK or his actions, good on him for standing up  (or kneeling down) for what he believes in.

Wish he'd get back to playing though, i reckon he's a seriously talented QB.

I'd say if he could be he would be, unfortunately he's been blacklisted by the NFL (largely rich old white red necks)

Edited by pieman

17 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

As a generalisation the main 'burners' and vocal opponents of Nike are Trump supporters who probably long for the pre 1990s days when Nike were actually manufactured int he US of A and it was all still great.  For every pair sold, some anti Trump supporter will probably find themselves in Nikes for the first time since they went to uni and be all confused about corporate greed versus anti-trumpism - it should be fun to watch

I'd suggest more than a few of the burners probably long for the days before sports became politicised

People tune in to see football, not to be preached at

18 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I'd suggest more than a few of the burners probably long for the days before sports became politicised

The same people that made such an issue over a non-violent, silent act that occurred before the game even started? Not many people left that wouldn't remember sport pre Jesse Owens days so exactyly which people are you referring to?

I'm not sure that not standing when the national anthem is played has or will actually achieve anything. I wonder what would happen if ordinary black Americans started not standing for Judges in court as a form of protest?

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

The burners aren't that clever.  Its perfectly appropriate to use sport as an arena to bring about social change.  The only people against it are those wanting to maintain current injustice.

Apartheid ended largely because of the isolation of South African sport.  Should the world have continued to include South Africa in international sport in the light of its then social system.  Clearly not.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

just as long as those uppity footballers know their place and keep their mouth shut. Worked for Rodney King.

50 minutes ago, A2K said:

I'm not sure that not standing when the national anthem is played has or will actually achieve anything. I wonder what would happen if ordinary black Americans started not standing for Judges in court as a form of protest?

Totally different. Not standing in court is against the law and is contempt of court. Kneeling for the national anthem is a peaceful form of protest and it has achieved a lot in terms of bringing attention to the issue (as well as pissing off a lot of frothing Trump voters which in my books is a win in itself).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, A2K said:

Brought the issue way out in the open. Teams/players are now more likely to not accept an invitation to the oval office. African American sports stars have a platform not afforded to the majority of their peers who are searched, arrested and incarcerated or brutalised or killed by cops at the drop of a hat. Some will call it virtue signalling, some will call it being true to your convictions. Depends on your skin colour and mindset I suppose

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cottoneyes said:

The same people that made such an issue over a non-violent, silent act that occurred before the game even started? Not many people left that wouldn't remember sport pre Jesse Owens days so exactyly which people are you referring to?

I would say that the majority of football fans have a pretty high regard for the American anthem and flag, and as such don't tend to like it too much when people are seen to be disrespecting them

The merits or otherwise of the Black Lives Matter movement would be a distant second

2 hours ago, IronJimbo said:

I would say that the majority of football fans have a pretty high regard for the American anthem and flag, and as such don't tend to like it too much when people are seen to be disrespecting them

The merits or otherwise of the Black Lives Matter movement would be a distant second

The kneeling footballers probably had a higher regard for their own flag and anthem under the previous president. 

• Like 2

I just don't think that deliberately giving the national flag and by extension the country itself a big middle finger is going to achieve what they want. They're just antagonising and alienating people when they'd be better off garnering their support. IMO. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, A2K said:

I just don't think that deliberately giving the national flag and by extension the country itself a big middle finger is going to achieve what they want. They're just antagonising and alienating people when they'd be better off garnering their support. IMO. 

Fair enough but the old adage of "no publicity is bad publicity" applies I think. At least it's now a conversation. Personally I find it utterly baffling that people think it's either attacking a flag or the country. It's very specifically about raising awareness of a specific issue. But I'm British and my sense of identity is not tied to a flag or an anthem, I wrote an answer on Quora about it: https://www.quora.com/Suppose-in-the-United-Kingdom-their-national-anthem-God-Save-the-Queen-were-playing-at-a-sports-event-and-an-anti-monarchist-republican-athlete-kneels-in-protest-How-would-the-British-public-react/answer/Chris-Monk-7?__filter__=&__nsrc__=2&__snid3__=3045746623

• Like 2

1 hour ago, monkie said:

Fair enough but the old adage of "no publicity is bad publicity" applies I think. At least it's now a conversation. Personally I find it utterly baffling that people think it's either attacking a flag or the country. It's very specifically about raising awareness of a specific issue. But I'm British and my sense of identity is not tied to a flag or an anthem, I wrote an answer on Quora about it: https://www.quora.com/Suppose-in-the-United-Kingdom-their-national-anthem-God-Save-the-Queen-were-playing-at-a-sports-event-and-an-anti-monarchist-republican-athlete-kneels-in-protest-How-would-the-British-public-react/answer/Chris-Monk-7?__filter__=&__nsrc__=2&__snid3__=3045746623

Agree.

I learned something today...

Kaepernick initially sat for the anthem and when it was explained to him that service personnel felt that he was insulting them and the memory of fallen veterans he had an in depth discussion with a former Green Berret who suggested that instead of sitting he took a knee. This is a well established sign of respect around the world, by moving to do it in this way he is showing respect to the anthem, the military and his country whilst also highlighting a real issue in the US.

Bravo Kap, bravo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 06/09/2018 at 11:17 AM, lawman said:

The burners aren't that clever.  Its perfectly appropriate to use sport as an arena to bring about social change.  The only people against it are those wanting to maintain current injustice.

Apartheid ended largely because of the isolation of South African sport.  Should the world have continued to include South Africa in international sport in the light of its then social system.  Clearly not.

I’m sick and tired of political crap being shoved down my throat at sport. The AFL now think their chief role is social change and awareness. No, your job is to run a football game. Wether I believe in the cause or not doesn’t matter.

As for what’s going on in America, well blacks account for 13% of the population but 52% of the homicides. It is no wonder they are over represented in Police interactions...

• Sad 1

Most of those right wing down home country hicks don't own Nike, so they all had to go buy some before they could burn it!

• Haha 1

$6bn USD added to their market value since the ad. 61% increase in sales. Warms the cockles of my heart!