Jump to content
Peter

70.3 World Championships in South Africa

Recommended Posts

I'm really interested to know how how these guys run that quick. I get it they train quite a lot. When I was a younger whipper snapper and was the fittest i've ever been, I managed an 85 minute 21.1k - FRESH. 1st place in 2018 Sydney Half marathon was a 1:05, given its probably a hillier course than what was at the world champs.

In that training prep I was doing 1K intervals at around 3.30-3.45 and was absolutely cooked at the end of it. At first I thought it may have been Jan's stride, but then again Gomez is quite short. These guys are absolute machines!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, zed said:

Yeah it will never be Taupo in September.

I’m surprised that your sources are telling you this. 

My source told me expect a test event in Perth next year. 

Why would they do a test if they aren’t going to have the real thing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Peter said:

I’m surprised that your sources are telling you this. 

My source told me expect a test event in Perth next year. 

Why would they do a test if they aren’t going to have the real thing?

They can't have it in Taupo in September because of the weather. Even December can get down to 4, 5 degrees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Peter said:

I’m surprised that your sources are telling you this. 

My source told me expect a test event in Perth next year. 

Why would they do a test if they aren’t going to have the real thing?

Aren't you two agreeing with each other?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Aren't you two agreeing with each other?

Possibly? I'm really hungover though, so am not quite with it! $2 beers..

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As said prior, what a great advertisement for Triathlon. 

On Gomez, unless he wins Kona at some stage, is he the most overrated?

Failed Beijing, Failed London and failed in first “real” 70.3 world champs. I know I am being harsh on one of the best, but what has he won that really matters?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cat Lady said:

Gomez Hasn’t won bribie either - epic fail

Add Kurnell to that list

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Bosco said:

As said prior, what a great advertisement for Triathlon. 

On Gomez, unless he wins Kona at some stage, is he the most overrated?

Failed Beijing, Failed London and failed in first “real” 70.3 world champs. I know I am being harsh on one of the best, but what has he won that really matters?  

Won xterra, won multiple itu and 70.3.. some might say the most rounded triathlete ever..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, pieman said:

Won xterra, won multiple itu and 70.3.. some might say the most rounded triathlete ever..

At certain angles I am the most rounded triathlete ever... 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok - I guess this was my first trolling tweet, I did’t like it.

I agree - one of the most consistent and rounded triathletes (Gomez not FFF) we have had but his ‘legacy’ some what held back by missing some of these head to head big wins. 

I truly hope he wins Kona..........

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah Ive gotta admit I have somewhat of a deep seated hatred for the brownlee's - I can only assume comes from the inherent aussie vs england in my dna!

That said...... it was great to see him try and shake things up on the ride and be really aggressive - for me that's what makes the likes of Josh, Wolf, Sanders exciting to watch.

As much as I admire Lange's ability to hang tough for 5hrs and then run an insane marathon and pick blokes off, there is something about those guys that stretch the rubber band to breaking point to then try and hold on I love watching. 

As much as it is a generalisation - Gomez to me races 70.3 and IM like an ITU - appears to do as little as possible and then try and cash in on having the most in the tank - sure its smart racing - but it doesn't inspire me to want to watch him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's paying his apprenticeship this year.  Next year will be even more fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/09/2018 at 4:15 PM, zed said:

They can't have it in Taupo in September because of the weather. Even December can get down to 4, 5 degrees. 

It can hit that in the morning in March too. 

I think you'd struggle to run a good race there outside of late Nov through to mid march.

It was cold racing there even when I came from living in Victoria. 

Minus the weather its a pretty awesome spot for a race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How good was the two seperate days racing for the men and women. I loved having solid coverage of both.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ruley said:

How good was the two seperate days racing for the men and women. I loved having solid coverage of both.

Should do it in Hawaii. 

Women's pros and AGers on Saturday, Men's on Sunday 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ruley said:

How good was the two seperate days racing for the men and women. I loved having solid coverage of both.

Yeah worked out really well. Was great watchiung the women.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zed said:

Yeah worked out really well. Was great watchiung the women.

True.  Much fairer racing to.  Much easier to race clean. Anyone who got pinged deserved it.. 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/09/2018 at 10:24 AM, Peter said:

He (gomez) will win kona before sanders. 

I don't think either will ever win - two different strategies - Sanders races like Zack used to - Gomez has a lot of endurance to build before he can do it 😕 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, AP said:

I don't think either will ever win - two different strategies - Sanders races like Zack used to - Gomez has a lot of endurance to build before he can do it 😕 

He did 7:56 for an ironman, how much more endurance does he need to build?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, AP said:

Is he racing this year ? 

He is.  He won't win this year.  He seems to be more "On Tour" at the moment rather than focused like Jan.

I think like Wurf he needs a top 10 this Kona to call it a success.

(talking Gomez)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AP said:

I don't think either will ever win - two different strategies - Sanders races like Zack used to - Gomez has a lot of endurance to build before he can do it 😕 

Sanders will win at some point, he's hungry. I can't see Gomez winning. Brownlee will podium on debut. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's always exciting to watch it unfold - probably because we all know how hard it is at our own level - then to watch these guys go as hard as they do, usually going hard until there's nothing left at all 

Watching it on the day - watching the lead pack ride up Palani Hill as hard as they do - then 4hrs or more later watch them starting the marathon running out past the Royal Kona then some never come back, or rather they come back in an ambulance or a car 😏

You can usually tell who's likely to podium at 2km into the run 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

What has wurf done to warrant being in the discussion for a top 10 finish?

He's Australia's great hope  - his instagram post alone put him there - he'll probably be first Aussie 😉 unless we claim Frodeno now

Edited by AP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

What has wurf done to warrant being in the discussion for a top 10 finish?

He’s a bike rider. Triathlon is all about he bike. Der. I personal don’t think Wurf is that good. Aspects of tri he is good at, but putting it all together he doesn’t have and I wonder if he’ll ever have it. 

I reckon if he ever wins something big he’ll need to go all norminator and come off the bike with 15mins plus and hope he can hold on for a sub 3 run. But In todays race I don’t think jan etc are dumb enough to let that happen and with the likes of sanders etc who can ride with him and run better Wurf has little to no chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

What has wurf done to warrant being in the discussion for a top 10 finish?

He has a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 3rd, 2nd this past 11 months.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

What has wurf done to warrant being in the discussion for a top 10 finish?

Just this weekend he did 

Swim 53:48

Bike 4:10

Run 2:52

8:00:55 

He isn't exactly farking around out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Peter said:

Just this weekend he did 

Swim 53:48

Bike 4:10

Run 2:52

8:00:55 

He isn't exactly farking around out there.

Sadly I think to pull that out this close to Kona is almost a sign of a meltdown on the lava field - that performance would have cost a lot of MOJO and you need all you can lay your hands on over there 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, AP said:

Sadly I think to pull that out this close to Kona is almost a sign of a meltdown on the lava field - that performance would have cost a lot of MOJO and you need all you can lay your hands on over there 

but he is training with team sky so will have his recovery nutrition dialled in.... he is probably already back to 110%...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure plenty would say he's racing too much to perform at Kona.  But I'm sure it's not really hurting his profile or sponsorship!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pieman said:

but he is training with team sky so will have his recovery nutrition dialled in.... he is probably already back to 110%...

That's right they're into getting all the little things right - marginal gains I believe 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Peter said:

He has a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 3rd, 2nd this past 11 months.

 

 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

Just this weekend he did 

Swim 53:48

Bike 4:10

Run 2:52

8:00:55 

He isn't exactly farking around out there.

But these stats mean nothing without context.

 

Who did he beat?  How did that 2:52 run stack up against the rest of the field?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RunBrettRun said:

 

But these stats mean nothing without context.

 

Who did he beat?  How did that 2:52 run stack up against the rest of the field?

Who's in your top 10.  No order needed.  Just 10 guys?

I just think they both need to come top 10 to prove they are pro Level A rather than a B level pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Peter said:

Who's in your top 10.  No order needed.  Just 10 guys?

I just think they both need to come top 10 to prove they are pro Level A rather than a B level pro

I'd have to see the start list.  Has Cam improved his run to be in the top 5 overall in those race results?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

He did 7:56 for an ironman, how much more endurance does he need to build?

This. He only went soft in the last 5km or so. I reckon that Gomez is at the same level of Ironman development that Crowie was on debut in 2007 and Frodo was in 2014. That said, Lessing was at the same level when he switched to Ironman and he never made the transition fully. Much will depend on what Gomez decides at the end of this year - go back to ITU for another crack at the Olympics or continue on in Ironman next year. If it’s the later I reckon he’s an excellent chance of winning Kona some time between 2019 and 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wurf ran about 3:05 to win IM Wales 3 weeks before Kona last year - which was only a few minutes slower than his Ironman marathon PB. He was a factor in Kona last year, albeit closing with a 3:16 marathon. 

I’d expect improvement from Cam this year on both the bike (he’s talking up the possibility of riding sub 4 on that course) and the run: I’d say that somewhere between 3 and 3:05 split is not outside the realms of possible this year. Or he blow like a shittake mushroom. 😂 

Edited by Andrew #1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×