Cranky

Sunny coast 70.3 Anyone there now?

17 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

If you want to learn more about H .Rake is on 8.30pm on ABC.

Past my bedtime.  Netflix it is.

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, chappy019 said:

It seemed that it was the 8th km that put it out of whack on the run for me - up until then it was about right. 

Bike extension worked from a spectator perspective but not sure the cpl of guys that hit the fencing as the road narrowed at the lights down the hill would agree!

i did think the transition set up was better then last year (probably helped it wasn’t a sell out due to WC70.3 and itu worlds). 

Have spoken to a few people that have heard that there were tacks on road which caused a few flats - anyone else heard or experience anything like that?

I did mention that to a fellow rider. it could be foul play like tacks? too many punctures in a short space. I hope I did not start another rumour?..(worse than work)🤯

Very quick course helped by a slightly short swim and a significantly short run.

Drafting was top 3-5 worst that I've seen over about 25 long course races that I've been in.  TOs often came along side the packs but I never saw a penalty administered. Penalty box largely empty when I rode passed as well. Witnessed first hand two of the female a/g winners riding at 1-2 m off a wheel for extended periods at a time without making attempts to change the situation. 

To improve the drafting issue I'd suggest a] spacing out the rolling start to 2 athletes every 5 seconds rather than 2 every 1-2 seconds, and b] reintroducing some hills on the bike.

In saying all that, it was a fun race otherwise and a great break from the Melbourne winter. Saturday was just glorious up there, 24 sunny and light winds. Sunday was wet pre-race, intermittent rain on the bike and a bit of drizzle on the run. Very heavy rain for those who were still going at 6.30-6.40 or longer.

For the record, Cranky, you won't learn much about me by watching Rake!  A lawyer with a ****ed up personal life, nothing like me at all 😜 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Aidan said:

Witnessed first hand two of the female a/g winners riding at 1-2 m off a wheel for extended periods at a time without making attempts to change the situation. 

That's disappointing. 

10 hours ago, zed said:

That's disappointing. 

On 27/08/2018 at 12:56 PM, Aidan said:

Very quick course helped by a slightly short swim and a significantly short run.

Drafting was top 3-5 worst that I've seen over about 25 long course races that I've been in.  TOs often came along side the packs but I never saw a penalty administered. Penalty box largely empty when I rode passed as well. Witnessed first hand two of the female a/g winners riding at 1-2 m off a wheel for extended periods at a time without making attempts to change the situation. 

To improve the drafting issue I'd suggest a] spacing out the rolling start to 2 athletes every 5 seconds rather than 2 every 1-2 seconds, and b] reintroducing some hills on the bike.

In saying all that, it was a fun race otherwise and a great break from the Melbourne winter. Saturday was just glorious up there, 24 sunny and light winds. Sunday was wet pre-race, intermittent rain on the bike and a bit of drizzle on the run. Very heavy rain for those who were still going at 6.30-6.40 or longer.

Agree the drafting was pretty bad. So many choosing to ride in a bunch. I had a go at one rider who kept dropping in front of me - when I was 12m behind another cyclist - along with a few others in their ‘group’. Told her in no uncertain terms to stop dropping in and that she needs to keep passing. I managed to get a break on their group ride before coming into T2. 

Sad thing is I saw she won the 30-34 age group. 

• Sad 1

For what its worth, on My Garmin,

Swim was 1.96Km , not short,

Bike 90.3km & Run 20.4K , as I was racked quite close to run exit.

Apart from the drafting which is a continual blight on the sport that TA/ Ironman don't enforce, Draft Busters standing around chatting while the race is on, Mooloolaba is one of the best places to race in Australia. OD or Half, awesome vibe & spectator friendly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TriGuy said:

For what its worth, on My Garmin,

Swim was 1.96Km , not short,

Bike 90.3km & Run 20.4K , as I was racked quite close to run exit.

Apart from the drafting which is a continual blight on the sport that TA/ Ironman don't enforce, Draft Busters standing around chatting while the race is on, Mooloolaba is one of the best places to race in Australia. OD or Half, awesome vibe & spectator friendly.

agreed I love sunny coast, its a great spot for both the 70.3 and olympic distance races.  

I have a couple of mates who had massive pb's and still would have regardless of the 1km short run course who are pretty pissed off they weren't given a chance to claim a proper pb.

Anyways all you can do is hope they fix it for next year.

If it's the same run it's been every year (cept maybe the wc's) then they ain't changing anthing.

I tried to look at my Garmin file from the first one which I did, but for some reason it's disappeared!

Edited by goughy

4 minutes ago, goughy said:

If it's the same run it's been every year (cept maybe the wc's) then they ain't changing anthing.

I tried to look at my Garmin file from the first one which I did, but for some reason it's disappeared!

Have a look at the last post I put up on page 2 showing the change to the end turn point from 2016 vs 2018.

Ok, must have glazed over that sorry!

So, the track that finished at wharf St, that was this year's????  The one that went passed it was 2016??

10 minutes ago, goughy said:

Ok, must have glazed over that sorry!

So, the track that finished at wharf St, that was this year's????  The one that went passed it was 2016??

Yep.  2016 was spot on.

Just looking at female team results, cyclist for the team that placed 7th in that category did a 2.10. Wow.

Edited by AA7
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, RunBrettRun said:

Yep.  2016 was spot on.

So maybe the council required the course stopping at that point this time?  Maybe restrictions all up that end didn't allow for any extending up there.  I can't remember the turn around at the other end, but simply traffic management may not have allowed them other road to use?

4 hours ago, AA7 said:

Just looking at female team results, cyclist for the team that placed 7th in that category did a 2.10. Wow.

I saw that and thought the same.  I want what she's got!

15 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Did she miss part of the course? That's near the male pro times.

Can we please keep this thread going during the ITU Gold coast worlds? 🤣

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, AA7 said:

Probably just a good cyclist. Not unbelievable, especially if there was drafting. I know Noosa used to attract National standard cyclists in the teams, even before the crit was put on. It'd be a good hit-out for someone toward the end of the domestic road season.

1 hour ago, AA7 said:

Did she miss part of the course? That's near the male pro times.

Check finisher pics.

I could be wrong, but I think I see a reason.

• Haha 1

Using a binary interpretation of gender, that female team member is not, in fact a female team member.

33 minutes ago, Tyno said:

Using a binary interpretation of gender, that female team member is not, in fact a female team member.

Who needs a Twitchhunt or marathoninvestigations.com..

13 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

Can we please keep this thread going during the ITU Gold coast worlds? 🤣

Let's keep this going.

Did Cranky get her bike home safely?. any trouble cleaning it?.

Did any come forward or caught for course sabotage on the bike course?. The tack theory..

Anybody know how the hell they made the 2nd time around up Alex headland so hard?. Who cares about the shorter run. a mile to go I was smashed.😕

Anybody make it to the Wharf tavern that night and pick up?, was the night club happening?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Chuckie M said:

Let's keep this going.

Did any come forward or caught for course sabotage on the bike course?. The tack theory..

Anybody know how the hell they made the 2nd time around up Alex headland so hard?. Who cares about the shorter run. a mile to go I was smashed.😕

Anybody make it to the Wharf tavern that night and pick up?, was the night club happening?

Maaaate, settle down.  Try and channel your inner Cranky and split it up.

Max.    one question per post. Even better, a  new thread for every question

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, Cranky said:

Balls, 'she' has balls.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Tyno said:

I think you're correct.

1 hour ago, Chuckie M said:

Let's keep this going.

Mate you're forgetting the 4th place male in an AG that should've been DQ'd for outside assistance. Confirmed by insta post and infinitjase, still no action.

On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 7:06 PM, Jezza78 said:

Agree the drafting was pretty bad. So many choosing to ride in a bunch. I had a go at one rider who kept dropping in front of me - when I was 12m behind another cyclist - along with a few others in their ‘group’. Told her in no uncertain terms to stop dropping in and that she needs to keep passing. I managed to get a break on their group ride before coming into T2. 

Sad thing is I saw she won the 30-34 age group. 

I wonder if it was you I was riding with coming back to T2. If not, then there was an identical female who won one of the 30 age groups doing exactly the same.

On 30/08/2018 at 5:37 PM, FuiFui said:

I wonder if it was you I was riding with coming back to T2. If not, then there was an identical female who won one of the 30 age groups doing exactly the same.

Were you in a Cupcake Cartel kit? If so then yeah we ride into T2 together. 

I found this pic of myself and the group I was towing...

E4EE5BA6-6A95-41E9-8D14-14E57809AE10.png

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Jezza78 said:

To be fair Jezza, you look like you give good draft :)

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Jezza78 said:

To be fair Jezza looks like your sitting up free wheeling. The group you're 'towing' is in the process of being passed by a girl and one dude is sitting up eating. 

Edited by prizna

On 30/08/2018 at 7:54 AM, Chuckie M said:

Let's keep this going.

Clean it? What? 🤪

On 30/08/2018 at 8:10 AM, AA7 said:

I think you're correct.

I haven't looked at the finisherpix. Are you being serious? Was it really a guy or does it just look like a guy? If it really was a guy, that means it wasn't a girl's relay team, which means my team came 3rd! We want a trophy!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cranky said:

I haven't looked at the finisherpix. Are you being serious? Was it really a guy or does it just look like a guy? If it really was a guy, that means it wasn't a girl's relay team, which means my team came 3rd! We want a trophy!

They came 7th Cranky. 

Is there a shaking head emoji?

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Clean it? What? 🤪

Gee i hope you dont teach maths.

And yes, it is clearly a man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Gee i hope you dont teach maths.

And yes, it is clearly a man.

Or Biology.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The picture of Jezza looks as much like a female rider as the person in the team Cranky is cranky about.

I just assumed that the fast rider was in a team that came in the top 3.

Oops

31 minutes ago, Cranky said:

I just assumed that the fast rider was in a team that came in the top 3.

Oops

Nah, my post said 7th place team

• Like 1

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 8:00 PM, Jezza78 said:

Yeah Jezz that was me in the cupcake kit. Nice ride back from the far turn with me. I should go check my photoes to look for the same!

How'd the rest of your race go?

On 25/08/2018 at 11:18 AM, Chuckie M said:

I am looking forward to part 2 of Cranky's adventures🤣

Give it time. Worlds is just around the corner!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cranky said:

Give it time. Worlds is just around the corner!

At least the weather has fined up. I am waiting for H to arrive😁

22 hours ago, Chuckie M said:

Don't worry. Forecast is thunderstorms for Sunday

• Confused 1

On 07/09/2018 at 7:33 AM, Chuckie M said:

1 hour ago, Cranky said:

Hurricane H is arriving on Monday, hopefully after the thunderstorms are gone

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, -H- said:

Hurricane H is arriving on Monday, hopefully after the thunderstorms are gone

H it rained this morning for the Parkrun🤔

9 hours ago, Cranky said:

A Chuckie M theory    - H  +ITU Worlds Triathlon = Rain🤣

you have been warned🤣😂

Funny, this showed up in my facebook memories today 

Capture.PNG

35 minutes ago, -H- said:

Funny, this showed up in my facebook memories today 

Capture.PNG

I remember that -- poured so heavy for the Sprint and the next day OD was sunny. I remember how freezing cold the water was (wasn't about 13.8 degrees) and it took me longer to get back to hotel after the OD then it was doing the race

On 31/08/2018 at 10:20 PM, Tyno said:

To be fair Jezza, you look like you give good draft :)

Yeah my mates are always looking to get in my wheel.