BogFrog

Wetsuit shoulder ROM

I had a swim in my wettie for the first time since March.  I've always disliked using it as my shoulders / top of arms get very tired.  So basically the wettie is restricting my movement and I’m fighting it.  I noticed that when I scooped up water through the neck of the suit and let some of the water go into the arms, that when I swam, I didn’t get that restricted feeling and the shoulders didn’t tire.  However the water doesn’t stay in the suit for long.  And with the water in the suit, I sit lower in the water, and would therefore be a little slower.  When I put the suit on, I reef the arms up so that there are creases under my armpits to try and give more room in the shoulders, but it doesn’t seem to help.  Apart from getting a new suit, does anyone have any recommendations of what I could do? 

12 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

Apart from getting a new suit, does anyone have any recommendations of what I could do? 

Get a new bike.

It doesn't really need a reason, but you could validate it by saying that you are finding riding the old bike hard with tired arms.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Heard you should soak your suit a few times, eg put it in the bath. I've not tried it yet.

Sleeveless? 

In theory, slower, in practice (IMO) time saved with sleeved is negligible. Note with my sleeveless my stroke rate goes from 72 (sleeved) to 76 (sleeveless). 

Edited by zed

7 minutes ago, zed said:

Sleeveless? 

In theory, slower, in practice (IMO) time saved with sleeved is negligible. Note with my sleeveless my stroke rate goes from 72 (sleeved) to 76 (sleeveless). 

I would have said the same thing only BF said no new suit.

59 minutes ago, zed said:

Sleeveless? 

You are a quality swimmer mate. Saw you today 👌 body position 

When you put it on do you pull it up so that it is like having a wedgie. 

I find I have to pull mine up a lot higher than I think I should. 

• Like 2

Yep, having it professionally sized and fitted, then remembering the proper technique for getting the thing on is absolutely key. Nothing like a surfing wettie. 

• Thanks 1

My shoulders are a bit more tired when swimming with it on. I just thought that was a wettie thing?

Train harder, use some paddles to build up your strength, take a teaspoon? 😂

When I bought my last wettie, I tried three on with a proper fitter and an Endless Pool. It was exhausting and time consuming and to be honest, I couldn’t feel much difference but he assured me that the first one was the best for me and I have to say, I’ve had zero problems with it but it takes a good 5-7 mins to put on properly and work up.

Fit is everything IMO.

1 hour ago, FFF1077 said:

Stalker alert

• Haha 2

Some good comments here.  Putting the wettie on right is everything.  Really need someone help to do it properly.  Starts with getting the legs on right and getting it high enough at your crutch so it doesnt pull down on your shoulders.  Then get it right in the arms.  Without the zip done up someone standing in front of you shouldn't be able to tell if it is done up or not.

• Like 1

Anyone that ever got taught by Nicole at the aqua shop in days gone by probably left with a bit of a crush :blush: 

a lot of people I’ve come across, including people that sell wetsuits - have SFA idea how to put them on correctly. 

• Like 2

Thanks for all the comments. I'm thinking mine might be too big as I can get into it pretty easily? I'm also quite *ahem* vertically challenged, so it doesn't pull down on my shoulders.... but it must be if I'm struggling against it. Or could it be that it is too big and is "falling down" on me when I swim? Hmmmm

I'm not buying another one at this stage.  I'll try and reef it up further next time and see if it stays there...

On properly, but also the right suit for you. 

I've found my goldilocks in  a Sailfish  Attack. Thin shoulders  but thinner panel in the chest than most. 

I've found, for me, lack of chest flexibility manifested as shoulder restriction. 

But it's a shape thing. 

• Like 2

Just now, BogFrog said:

Thanks for all the comments. I'm thinking mine might be too big as I can get into it pretty easily? I'm also quite *ahem* vertically challenged, so it doesn't pull down on my shoulders.... but it must be if I'm struggling against it. Or could it be that it is too big and is "falling down" on me when I swim? Hmmmm

I'm not buying another one at this stage.  I'll try and reef it up further next time and see if it stays there...

I'm short for my girth....... width. Not that I'm saying u are. 

A wetsuit that was too big did slowly work its way down to being a strain on my shoulders. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

Lol ta

what Lane were u in?

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

When you mentioned about water not staying in the suit, it sounds like it is too big. Wetsuits don’t exchange water, they keep the same film of water (mostly) and your body heats that up. One sure way to tell if it’s too big is if you feel cold when you wear it?

8 hours ago, zed said:

Lol ta

what Lane were u in?

Hahaha 

Medium 🙃🙃😂😂😂😂

Although my Instabang account shows a picture of the fast lane. 😂😂😂

My efforts were "fast" but I swim in the Med lane because my fast is medium 👍👍

10 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Suit may also be too thick .

Also need to wear it often........

It has a thinner, more flexible blue material around the shoulders and down the arm.  The body is definitely thicker than the arms...

10 hours ago, FatPom said:

When you mentioned about water not staying in the suit, it sounds like it is too big. Wetsuits don’t exchange water, they keep the same film of water (mostly) and your body heats that up. One sure way to tell if it’s too big is if you feel cold when you wear it?

Na, I'm not cold when I wear it at all.  Part of the problem could be that i've lost a couple of kg since I bought it.  A couple of kgs on 155cm is quite a bit I guess.  Right, I think consensus is that it is probably a little too big.  So, any tips on how to keep the wedgie going?

10 hours ago, FatPom said:

The last time I wore mine I felt cold in it, bit I think that was more so from the holes than anything else ;)

16 hours ago, Parkside said:

Yep, having it professionally sized and fitted, then remembering the proper technique for getting the thing on is absolutely key. Nothing like a surfing wettie. 

Yeah although in BogFrog's case sounds like the wetsuit is the wrong size or sh!t design or both. 

16 hours ago, RunBrettRun said:

Some good comments here.  Putting the wettie on right is everything.  Really need someone help to do it properly.  Starts with getting the legs on right and getting it high enough at your crutch so it doesnt pull down on your shoulders.  Then get it right in the arms.  Without the zip done up someone standing in front of you shouldn't be able to tell if it is done up or not.

Couldn't have said it better. 

Another thing...allow plenty of time, and if the crutch of the suit isn't seriously flush, roll the suit back down & start again- don't just try to yank it up by pulling the thighs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BogFrog said:

Crotch! It's your crotch! 

We don't want a crutch!

Have you seen the panic when they announce a non wetsuit swim? It’s definitely a crutch:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I used the wettie in the pool again the other night and I didn't have the same problem with the shoulder.  Either AA7's suggestion is working well :blush:  or the hiking it up higher and lack of moisturiser on my legs prevented it from slipping down.

• Like 2