Sign in to follow this  
Ex-Hasbeen

Home Security Cameras

It seems there are a few a-holes around that seem to think they deserve the things others have worked hard for. In the past few months 4 houses have been broken into in our estate. The latest was last weekend. It was directly across the road from us. It was 3:30pm and the owners were out. Apparently a car pulled up outside & 2 people hopped out and smashed the front door down. Then another 2 hopped out. They ransacked the house for valuables, grabbed the car keys & stole the car from the garage. It all took 5 minutes. I actually heard them smashing the door in, but just took it to be someone working in a yard or on the house being built behind them. 

The reason I can lay the timeline out so well is that their neighbour has it all on video. Their security video overlaps their neighbour's front yard, so got all this. It got me thinking that a couple HD security cameras wouldn't be a bad idea, and they are apparently quite affordable now. Being a complete newbie at this, but can get my head around most tech things if I have to, should I be getting someone in to do this, or are the DIY kits or components easy enough to put together?

Over to you.

ps: the police have already got one of them, and he is "helping with investigations".

I'm wondering too.  There's a fair amount of stuff out there now days, all connected to apps and wireless and all sorts of stuff.

I was at a customers last week who had recently divorced, and she had one at the front door and asked her about it.  You can't see through her door or entrance, and she said it was particularly handy when her ex was continually coming over...

40 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

It seems there are a few a-holes around that seem to think they deserve the things others have worked hard for. In the past few months 4 houses have been broken into in our estate. The latest was last weekend. It was directly across the road from us. It was 3:30pm and the owners were out. Apparently a car pulled up outside & 2 people hopped out and smashed the front door down. Then another 2 hopped out. They ransacked the house for valuables, grabbed the car keys & stole the car from the garage. It all took 5 minutes. I actually heard them smashing the door in, but just took it to be someone working in a yard or on the house being built behind them. 

The reason I can lay the timeline out so well is that their neighbour has it all on video. Their security video overlaps their neighbour's front yard, so got all this. It got me thinking that a couple HD security cameras wouldn't be a bad idea, and they are apparently quite affordable now. Being a complete newbie at this, but can get my head around most tech things if I have to, should I be getting someone in to do this, or are the DIY kits or components easy enough to put together?

Over to you.

ps: the police have already got one of them, and he is "helping with investigations".

I only have the indoor types. All wifi, but you do need to connect to a power source. I have netgear, but there are heaps on the market. Defitnely go for a minimum of 1080p. The majority are motion sensor and controlled through the app. 

Can't help with any type, however strongly suggest you get some that show the scene clearly.  We have 1080p cameras at work, however they are all "fisheye" when reviewing them on a monitor.  Has been a pain in the butt when having to look at them.  Would have preferred the company paid for more cameras without the fisheye capturing a wider area

2 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

Can't help with any type, however strongly suggest you get some that show the scene clearly.  We have 1080p cameras at work, however they are all "fisheye" when reviewing them on a monitor.  Has been a pain in the butt when having to look at them.  Would have preferred the company paid for more cameras without the fisheye capturing a wider area

Yep, the go to cameras are 4k now. We have just upgraded all our security cameras at the shopping centres the company i work for own. 1080p have been okay, but as we have to provide a  lot of vision to the police, 1080 doesn't cut it, but should be okay for a home.

Good topic. The obvious difference out there is wired or wireless. And then there is night vision and motion activated and video quality. I guess the choice is pay extra for installation of wired cameras vs the ongoing cost of batteries of wireless. Does anyone have wireless ones and can advise how often battery changes are needed or if there is any other disadvantages?   

I'm wondering that too!  Wireless seem a great idea for self home installation....

• Thanks 1

A mate 2 blocks away from me had his garage broken into and his bikes stolen and some tools.

The first thing the cops asked was, "Where is your video of it?" 

Anyway since that day I have put cameras in my garage and backyard. I'd never put them in the house but just on approach and leaving.

Anyway I use https://www.mangocam.com/

I also bought the cameras off them.

$10 a month and they store all the data off site and keep it for a while (2 weeks I think).  You can remotely log in and look from the other side of the world, from your mobile whatever.

Setting up was a pain but once setup I have never had an issue.

You can also get units that you just record to like a pc but the worry always is if they steal that too.

How much did it cost you for the cameras and installation?

I see they have cameras with motion sensing etc?  How does this all work?  Are they always on?  Always ready to record.  Or a bit like a security system, do you turn them on and off as needed?

Edited by goughy

I got these https://www.foscamaustralia.com.au/

Cameras about $100 each

You configure them to record when something moves.  you can change the sensitivity.

They are always on waiting for movement.  They can even send you a text or email.

I just let mine record 24x7

6 hours ago, goughy said:

How much did it cost you for the cameras and installation?

I see they have cameras with motion sensing etc?  How does this all work?  Are they always on?  Always ready to record.  Or a bit like a security system, do you turn them on and off as needed?

you turn them as needed and you can make them as sensitive as you like. mine also has audio sensing. 

Ive got Arlo wireless ones. Totally awesome. I’ll post a link later. Late for work as usual. 

How exactly are you using them?  Only turning them on as needed, or running them all the time?  How often are you recharging them?

Would be great if there was something that integrated with a doorbell,  in particular one that I can talk back to.  Would save me running from the shed to get to the front door before they leave, and stop me rushing if I don't need to.

Where do you position them?  At our place, I could see under back patio which could cover to the shed too. In the main open plan and maybe it the front?

Edited by goughy

9 minutes ago, goughy said:

How exactly are you using them?  Only turning them on as needed, or running them all the time?  How often are you recharging them?

Would be great if there was something that integrated with a doorbell,  in particular one that I can talk back to.  Would save me running from the shed to get to the front door before they leave, and stop me rushing if I don't need to.

Where do you position them?  At our place, I could see under back patio which could cover to the shed too. In the main open plan and maybe it the front?

Girl next to me at work has a doorbell camera that sends her a message when rung and she can watch it on her phone... it provides us much entertainment... not sure if you can talk back through it though..

7 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

What happens when they turn the mains power off?

That's why they're wireless...

37 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

30 minutes ago, goughy said:

That's why they're wireless...

A lot of the wireless ones are simply wireless back to the recorder. They rely on being plugged in to mains power. Unless the individual cameras have memory, or connected via 4G to the cloud, then even if they are still running on battery, the pictures won't go anywhere.

41 minutes ago, Alex Simmons said:

I assume they dont pull much power, so if you are that paranoid then a UPS shouldnt be too exxy to run the system in a "blackout" 

I've got Guardzilla. They're pretty good. 49.99/year for 14 days of storage and 30 second clips. Only flaw is they take about 5 seconds to spool up. Have them in multiple properties and all talk to the same app.  Power box is in shot for all places. Still, I'm sure if the bad guys are hatching a plan that involves cutting power we have bigger problems. Cameras are more of a deterrent than anything. Opportunity thieves will most likely avoid the hassle.

On 24/08/2018 at 7:57 AM, goughy said:

Where do you position them?

Mine go on and off based on my location. Once I leave the home zone they go on and off when I’m home. They are also on a schedule which has them go on at 8pm and Off at 6am whether I home or not.

They only record when they detect sound or motion. They need recharging beteeen 3-6 monthly depending on how often they get activated. 

I have one at front and back doors and one at the side of the house where there is a path. Basically covering the possible entry areas. 

You can two way talk through them and the base station has a siren which can be activated automatically or remotely manually. 

Cloud storage with local backup available. 

Wow, that's not much recharging!  I was figuring weekly or something at the least!

Wonder how the on/off thing at home would work with 4 of us?  I'll have to look and see if they work with Google, I think they do integrate with Alexa.  

It is funny this topic came up cause I have been thinking about it lately with the drop in costs.  So you have a 3 camera setup?  Do you mind if I ask how much it cost you and does it have ongoing running costs for things like the storage etc?

7 hours ago, goughy said:

Wow, that's not much recharging!  I was figuring weekly or something at the least!

Wonder how the on/off thing at home would work with 4 of us?  I'll have to look and see if they work with Google, I think they do integrate with Alexa.  

It is funny this topic came up cause I have been thinking about it lately with the drop in costs.  So you have a 3 camera setup?  Do you mind if I ask how much it cost you and does it have ongoing running costs for things like the storage etc?

I paid about $1k from an online store. No ongoing costs unless you want longer than 7 day cloud storage. 

Cool thanks.  The no ongoing costs is cool.

The best ones within a reasonable price range are the HikVision ones, around $90 from China (or $200 from an Aussie retailer).  Bullet cameras for outside, 4mm or 6mm.   I am running them on my website at Temora Aviation Museum, Wangaratta airfield and Portland airfield (see here - www.auswebcams.com)  The HiKVisions are Powered over Ethernet and require a Cat 5 ethernet cable and a switch/hub that powers POE cameras, or you have to buy an adapter.  Add a PC with hard drive space and you have a very good set-up with remote access capable.  

The rest of the cameras on there are just 1mp WIFI cameras at $38 from ebay.  They take snaps every 5 minutes, but with a recording unit they will record full time.  They need a power source which can be an issue for many.

I'm running a motion-sensing unit at the in-laws and it's a Dahua camera which is WIFI, but I'm not overly happy with the video and motion detect, so it would be better off recording full time for the best results, so you'd need a PC turned on all the time or a dedicated DVR unit with 1TB drive for 1-2 months recording over 3 or 4 cameras.  It's an excellent high quality image, however the motion detect isn't ideal.

I'm not happy with Arlo's personally, the battery life is poor if they are getting near the max wifi range and the biggest issue with them people are stealing them from the outside (and inside) of houses.

The other problem is that many of the crooks use balaclava's and you sometimes get nothing from cameras... that's if they are still in your house afterwards and the crooks haven't ripped them off the wall !!

I own approximately 120 security cameras and run what is possibly the biggest collection of publicly available cameras in Australia and am aiming for 300 by mid next year.

Edited by BC_J400

Might have to look at something for my wife's 87yo Aunts room in her Sydney nursing home.

The thieving @#$%s who work there (all of foreign extraction) are stealing the cash from her handbag. The girls got her $150 cash when they visited last month, she's not been anywhere or had the chance to spent it, and it's all gone she told us last night on the phone.

I want to break heads :mad2:

• Sad 2