Andrew #1

Lionel Sanders Limp

28 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

Miles did the Canberra long course, and Chris Legh beat him by about 10 minutes. Put about 8 minutes into him on the bike; Col thought Miles had punctured.

Chris Legh, one of the best Aussie males to never win Kona.

12 hours ago, Leon said:

while the KFC dude has made plenty of mistakes, I reckon he still seems to have the capacity to learn from them. He appears to have no issue with admitting his mistakes and that is huge in my opinion.

This is why I like Lionel and dislike like PJ

• Haha 1

I'm not getting some of Lionels Kona analysis. His latest vid, he's puzzled as to why he can manage 2.48 easily when only running, but he struggles when he does it after a swim and a bike....  He says he can manage a 2.30 stand alone marathon and should be able to manage a 2.48 Kona run split.

I'm also curious as to how closely he sticks to his pre-determined HR/Power for the bike, as it seems a lot of the top pros throw the race plan out the window come race day. Not necessarily a bad thing if you roll the dice and it comes off, but is Lionel simply pushing too hard on the bike? He got the slowest run split in the top 20, 3rd slowest swim in the top 20, but one of the fastest bike splits. Seems obvious that he's simply over-cooking the bike. He was aiming for first in 2019, perhaps he should have had more modest aspirations i.e top 10. Stick to the race plan, stick the to the planned HR/wattage and what will be will be. He wants to apply a scientific approach to his training and race prep, then race like a cowboy.

On 18/02/2020 at 6:36 AM, Peter said:

Carter Beven and miles weren’t the long course type.  I don’t think any of them even did a half ironman. 

but am surprised Simon Whitfield did try. And snowsill too. 

Seen Miles comfortably up the pace in the last km for the win at the old Frankston long course (2/80/20) to leave a couple of people who thought they stood a chance gasping for air. 

It was just more profitable for him to concentrate on OD events (and he was a consummate professional). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Sanders just smashed a heap of pro cyclists in a Zwift race including MDVP

https://youtu.be/RAWoaJQmwcs

I missed the race but saw the results on the companion app. 

pretty impressive to win A grade with so many people that adjust their weight. 

A2B1B753-485C-41B1-B0B2-419E8F141B67.png

2 hours ago, dazmuzza said:

Sanders just smashed a heap of pro cyclists in a Zwift race including MDVP

https://youtu.be/RAWoaJQmwcs

Just watched the last 4 k.  Wow.  Rode the guns off his wheel.  Pretty impressive 

I thought so too.

Lionel does do a _lot_ of Zwift and indoor, which I'm assuming played a big part in his win. 

• Like 1

HR 30 beats lower than anyone else.. wow... must have massive stroke volume

You can see the race from Lionel's point of view on youtube now. Has some insights on what was going to happen during his recon the day before - which played out!

Edited by dazmuzza
update
  • Thanks 1

I thought this was really impressive - yes he does a lot of zwift riding but he doesnt do a lot of zwift 'racing'. Totally different beast. Interesting to see in the above video the use of the team radios and how that plays into the strategy of the race. 

Really good performance. I just hope DTD is able to reign him in - you can see him losing focus and doing zwift races every night instead of working to his ironman plan. He has done it before....

32 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

This guy must be the best trainer in the world. I'm surprised he doesn't win more.

He actually has some crazy stat that he has finished on the podium in all but about 4 races since he started in the sport.  (Don’t have the exact numbers but its easy Single figures) 

he will go down as one of the best to never win Kona. 

at the end of the video he is bragging that its a New 1 min 5 min and something else power since starting in the sport.  Dumb as you don’t do max power in triathlon race.  He has no clue. Having said that I still like him and following him online. 

he just isn’t the same mindset as Tim Od or frodo, or stadler, macca, Crowie, etc...  

40 minutes ago, Nick777 said:

This guy must be the best trainer in the world. I'm surprised he doesn't win more.

8 times off the podium in 75 half Ironmans or full ironmans. 

51 first places  

that’s pretty impressive given his first race was 2013. 

Edited by Peter

1 hour ago, Peter said:

He actually has some crazy stat that he has finished on the podium in all but about 4 races since he started in the sport.  (Don’t have the exact numbers but its easy Single figures) 

he will go down as one of the best to never win Kona. 

at the end of the video he is bragging that its a New 1 min 5 min and something else power since starting in the sport.  Dumb as you don’t do max power in triathlon race.  He has no clue. Having said that I still like him and following him online. 

he just isn’t the same mindset as Tim Od or frodo, or stadler, macca, Crowie, etc...  

At the start of the video he’s explaining that the course isn’t great and the style of racing doesn’t suit him because he doesn’t work on 1,2 and 5 minute power. That makes it more impressive.

3 hours ago, Peter said:

8 times off the podium in 75 half Ironmans or full ironmans. 

51 first places  

that’s pretty impressive given his first race was 2013. 

pfffft...lightweight.

• Haha 1

I only know this because I lost $50 arguing your point and I was wrong. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter said:

I only know this because I lost $50 arguing your point and I was wrong. 

I’m going to frame this (Peter admitting he was wrong) 

• Haha 3

Word is sanders had a big bike crash yesterday.  
Probably out of kona this October 

Edited by Peter
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

Word is sanders had a big bike crash yesterday.  
Probably out of kona this October 

Where are you hearing that? Talbot has been online saying Erin filmed the attempt on Mt Lemon yesterday and is editing ready to put online, I wouldn’t think he’d be doing that if it ends with a big wreck?

I saw that video a week ago when he broke the record.  
unless I’m dreaming. 

9FA770C8-D3EA-40BE-94F6-49B5D8087023.png

09A76113-3839-4B12-80E1-18454C6F7BCA.png

8 hours ago, Peter said:

I saw that video a week ago when he broke the record.  
unless I’m dreaming. 

9FA770C8-D3EA-40BE-94F6-49B5D8087023.png

09A76113-3839-4B12-80E1-18454C6F7BCA.png

He went again yesterday, there was one (of the many) segments that he DIDNT take from Sam Long in the last video, so he went to attempt it, so he would own every segment. 

No spoilers, but no crashes.

• Thanks 1