Sign in to follow this  
lawman

Run Larapinta

4 days, starts this afternoon from Alice Springs with a part night stage.

So underdone,  I'm F*********.

But this race is sooooo good!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roxii said:

Good luck mate. 

Have fun,,,,, I suppose  :lol: 

Cheers mate.

I don't believe in coincidence, so the fact that the "Do we need a death notices thread" has reared its head in recent days is causing me some angst. 😂

• Haha 1

:lol: 

Yeah had a friend do it last year and the reports were "interesting"  :lol: 

• Like 1

Keep us updated Lawman, have this on my list for 2019, will have to sacrifice Wonderland that year which is looking to add in a new distance then, but it has been on my mind since getting emails about it late last year

• Like 1

OK, back in the real world after nearly a week in the centre.  Still getting the red dust out of the nose and throat.

There is both a short course and a long course and the difference is substantial.  Upfront, I did the short course. 

It was my second Larapinta and just as amazing as when I did the first one in 2015.  I had forgotten just how hard it was.  Not so much the distances - they are achievable, but there is a shitload of really technical stuff especially on day 2, and much more climbing than I remember.  There is a lot of boulders and rocky creek and river beds to run along and climb.

The views off the few mountains and the ridges and there are plenty of them (no deserts are not all flat) are to kill for.

Stage 1 is an evening stage finishing in the dark just outside of Alice, stage 2 has a run along a very course sandy creek bed, a few climbs including a bit of a monster switchback and some techy descent and a nice little surprise climb just shy of the finish in Standley Chasm.

The first half of Stage 3 has a runnable start on single trail for the first 13k's with a couple of climbs, although when my mate yells out that I was leading them out with 5 min k's, the damage was done.  I just felt great but we all make mistakes. Paid big time (everyone's been there - hands on thighs, head over, sweat dripping, trying  to hold the contents of my stomach in) on the long climb up to the top of the pound rim at Ormiston Gorge and then a recovery run flying down of the rim and across the bottom of the pound to exit it through Ormiston Gorge where there is about 3k of boulders and sand to get through, but which was just magic. Sure enough they make you finish with a scramble and climb up to a lookout before running down to the finish.

Stage 4 is a bit of a 30k slugfest with only one significant climb and a long pretty flat dusty, sandy and at times rocky run to the end.  This is my redemption stage, last time I ran made the rookie error of filling my hydration pack with sickening salty bore water and still running out of water on a high 30's day last time and pretty much stumbling the last few k's to the finish.  This time it was bloody freezing at the start, would have been less than zero and getting pretty hot at the finish, but all in all we were pretty lucky this year with temps around the low to high 20's.

Big PB's this time on Stages 2, 3 and 4 which was cool. Finishing in the top half of the field at age 56 will do me.  Probably down to running with mates, the first time was the inaugural event and there was only 28 of us running.  This was number 4 and there was nearly 100 runners.  So many runners also made it a bit hard to get lost although a few people did their best to make the organisers a bit nervous.

Best thing is I woke up the day after the finish and could have gone again.

Stage races are so much more than just the running, I've done a bit of stage racing and having a beer, a great meal at a nightly presentation with brilliant people and a good sleep to kick off again the next day is by far my favorite racing. And this is one of the best.  I've made some good mates at this event with guys from Melb and Tassie the first time around, and we get together at someone's home ground a couple of times a year so each of can show off our own patch of running for a weekend. 

Sam and John at Rapid Ascent do great events ya gotta do it!

Edited by lawman
  • Like 1

Congrats on the PB's Lawman. I didnt realise the course / trails were that technical. Thanks for a great report, just wondering - how did you arrange travel to the start of the event & accommodation?

• Like 1

Thanks S.

The only part that I had to organise independently was the accommodation for the first couple of nights at the Mercure.  The rest is  arranged through Rapid Ascent.

Race Central is at the Mercure in Alice until until the morning of stage 3 when the race moves further out along the Larapinta Trail.  Sun night (after stage 3) and Monday (Stage 4) accommodation is at Glen Helen Homestead where stage three starts and stage 4 finishes.

Airport transfers and all raceday transfers to and from accommodation are arranged through Rapid Ascent.  Logistics are very easy.

Last time we hired a car, my wife wasn't racing, but we went with the race arrangements this time because she was sweeping the longcourse race.  It was actually far less stressful using the race organiser's logistics.

I shot my mouth off when I was a bit pissed after the last stage and now have to go again next year.  PM me when you know if you'll be entering.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I keep hearing about this race... My wifey wants to compete so I think I will 'suport' her (read my wife beats me enough these days). 

• Like 1