Turts

Best cheapest smart trainer for zwift

Says it all.

Unhappy history with a tacx wheel on trainer. 

Thoughts?

read dc rainmakers trainer comparison and review

one thing unless you are  technically advanced and like connecting things then go for most reliable and easy plug and play

I brought a kickr gen 2 and it just works, sinc's with laptop. now if only could get reliable internet from optus and windows not to crash my laptop it would all be good

• Haha 1

I'm on the Elite Qubo Digital B+ I'm happy with it. It's a wheel on, which I don't mind as we are swapping bikes on and off it, and now the +1 has his own bike, and its a 10 speed, AND I have refused to let him upgrade the groupset yet, a wheel on works better for us.

Wheel on versions are cheaper but I prefer wheel off. I only know Kickr models but I've got friends with cyclops versions that seem to work exactly the same.

You can pick up a secondhand gen 1/2 kickr for $800-$1000. If you don't like it you will be able to sell it again for similar money.

Brand new kickr snap at $750 works fine but I don't like wearing out my tyre, as well as checking the tyre pressure and making sure the tension knob has been applied the same each time you ride.

• Like 1

I looked, and read reviews and waited, and read more, and eventually my wife got sick of it and bought me a Tacx Neo for my birthday/Christmas. Not a cheap option for sure, but I only hear good things from those who go Kickr or Neo. 

DC Rainmaker and @gplama both have more info than you can know what to do with.

Seems a little bit like the bike thing "im getting into triathlon and want to get a bike, what should I get?" Inevitably leading to the place where you spend more money than you originally planned :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The $1500 I spent on my kickr 3 years ago is still the best value spend I've had on any triathlon related purchase.

• Like 1

sorry you had a bad experience with the Tacx... I'm using the Vortex Smart with a specific trainer tyre and I have done hundreds of hours over the last 8 months with no issues  at all... interested to know what your story was...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, monkie said:

sorry you had a bad experience with the Tacx... I'm using the Vortex Smart with a specific trainer tyre and I have done hundreds of hours over the last 8 months with no issues  at all... interested to know what your story was...

Same except I had 1 software issue that the TACX support site didn't really offer much advise, but after googling I sorted it out pretty quick. Happy with mine

What about the jet black? I think a Wheels off version retails for under $1000?

im on a kickr gen 2. Best training investment I’ve ever made ...

i got a Tacx Flux 3 weeks ago, works fine, connects to the laptop for zwift with no issues ( I use ant + dongle)

It has picked up a squeak and the shop back in Perth is replacing it under warranty, still works fine just a tad annoying with the squeak.

I paid $950 for it

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Andrew #1 said:

What about the jet black? I think a Wheels off version retails for under $1000?

im on a kickr gen 2. Best training investment I’ve ever made ...

its a piece of junk and the customer support is terriblle.

Im in the Wahoo camp - I brought the gen 3 over new year - had brought a gen 2 during a boxing day sale but order never processed and ended up being sold out.

Was spewing as I really only wanted to spend $1k on it - the store gave good reviews for the elite and cycleops that they could do for that price. I decided to part with the extra cash for the Wahoo pretty much purely because it came with the cassette already, was plug and play and the resale considering most gen 1 are still sold for $900 bucks in a matter of hours on tri marketplace. 

Its been awesome and the ability to swap up to 4 bikes in and out of it (road and TT for mrs and I) in a matter of seconds picks up instantly through mobile, ipad or windows laptop on trainer road.

As above has been the best investment that ive made for training.

• Like 1

On ‎15‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, monkie said:

I've been through 2 different trainer tyres. And at the end of the day, I have to clean down the tyre and roller every session to avoid the squeak.

I cold live with that.  But now it's developed a horrible metal grinding sound.  Not 100% of the time.

Generally as the brake ups the resistance.  But no always.

Ive sent a recording off to the warranty department, but not hopeful.

Looks like the Kickr 3 might be the go.

Been chatting with Willie, and looks like he's gonna hook me up.

#trannyhookups.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have an unfortunate tale of online dating in modern life and trannie hook ups 😳😳🤐😭😂😂😂

Lesson learned. 

If looks like a duck and quacks then.....

• Haha 1

I have a wheel off trainer (Elite Direto) and wouldn't go back to wheels on. Having said, using a TT bike with horizontal dropouts is sometimes a bit tricky getting in and out. Elite also comes with adaptors for through axle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FFF1077 said:

I have an unfortunate tale of online dating in modern life and trannie hook ups 😳😳🤐😭😂😂😂

Lesson learned. 

If looks like a duck and quacks then.....

I’m a sexy duck though! 

46FCB89B-11C7-4049-82FB-BBF49611034A.gif

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, willie said:

I’m a sexy duck though! 

46FCB89B-11C7-4049-82FB-BBF49611034A.gif

You're a ****ing worry mate that's what... LOL 😂😂😂😂😂👍

• Haha 3

Big thumbs up to Willie for customer service. 

Proactive, interested, prompt and helpful.

And a trannies discount. 

Whacko!

#cheaptrannyhookups

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Turts said:

Big thumbs up to Willie for customer service. 

Proactive, interested, prompt and helpful.

And a trannies discount. 

Whacko!

He's the best. Also a nice chap :)

• Like 1