AA7

Kona Slot Giveaway

Just now, Peter said:

I’d rather see the proof before we burn her. 

I have proof but can't share it. Just trust me.....

11 hours ago, Cranky said:

I'm obviously delirious and hungry,  only 90 minutes into training and I read that as Kernel Sanders!!🤣 and I don't even like kfc!

Sounds a bit corny.

Edited by FatPom
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Peter said:

It's a true story. That really shits me too.

21 minutes ago, AA7 said:

It's a true story. That really shits me too.

Link??

6 hours ago, Peter said:

6 hours ago, Cranky said:

Surely a go fund me is a public page? How come can't share? 

36 minutes ago, Turts said:

I can only find one linked on her insta from when she crashed her bike. Has raised 700 to cover the 7000 repair . I'll paint her bike for her for free..

22 minutes ago, pieman said:

I can only find one linked on her insta from when she crashed her bike. Has raised 700 to cover the 7000 repair . I'll paint her bike for her for free..

$7000 to repair a bike WTF.  Does she need a bike worth $7000, I doubt it.   

She would do better off setting up a Go Fund Me page for literacy lessons. I couldn't even manage to finish reading that.

So she wants $7000 to repair her bike? Why doesn't she just buy a new one. Or a decent second hand one.

The difference between a $3000 new bike, a $2000 second hand, or $7000 new isn't the limiting factor on her performance.

Or indeed, the limiting factor on her employment potential.

2 minutes ago, Fitness Buddy said:

Loosing weight not losing.  Swimming 4km not 3.8km 

And the way it is worded at the start it sounds like she lost all that weight on one day

Maybe she could put the money to spelling lessons? 

7 hours ago, Cranky said:

Considering you're a teacher, I now know why you couldn't share that.

• Haha 6

That's pretty old now, dead in the water...

10 hours ago, Turts said:

She's only asking family and friends

That's what a phone call is for, isn't it?  Or a knock on the door.  Still hope she enjoys Kona, even if it's on a Huffy.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

This will all blow over... 

..... on the Queen K somewhere......

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, goughy said:

That's what a phone call is for, isn't it?  Or a knock on the door.  Still hope she enjoys Kona, even if it's on a Huffy.

You need to make contact with family now through social media so everyone knows you are doing it

Having been knocked off my race bike (which wasn’t that special, just a good 2015 model Shiv elite) I can understand how easy it is to rack up a $7,000 bill to either repair or replace: it would largely depend on whether you were using race wheels at the time of the accident and whether they were fooked or not.

anyways, that “go fund me” is like 7months old and she’s backed up at IM Cairns since then and put out a pretty solid PB. 

I can understand why some of the elitists on here have the shits about Ella getting a slot, but they pretty much have the shits over anyone toeing the line that didn’t get a qualification spot based on performance. Fair enough, but that just means they have the shits with 25% of the field in Kona. Moreover, this is nothing new. The founder of the race always wanted a place for the ‘average Joe’ in Kona, hence the old lottery system. The race organisers, going back to Valerie Silk have always had ‘special interest’ entries and frankly Ella is far more deserving than 99% of that category. She has actually done two Ironman races in the last 12 months FFS.

The only thing that shits be about the elitists, is that - other for about 200 people - the rest of the qualifiers just aren’t that elite. Less than 10 people in any category (probably less than 5 if truth be told) are really competitive in Kona, and the whole notion of 5 year age group categories between 20 and 45 years is farcical.

Anyway, as per my previous post, a good way to placate both camps is to split ‘the world championship’ race from the lottery/legacy/special interest/average Joe race. Held on the same day, but separated by 60-90 minute start times,

Now, I’m sure a lot of folk would love to point the finger at me because I am a hasbeen that never was: 11:51hrs is my ironman PB and will very likely remain so until I die. Sure, I might have extracted another hour or so improvement out of my body if “I really wanted it” but at what cost? Balancing work-life when I was in my 30s or 40s meant I was only ever good for about 10hrs per week average training and with a VO2 max in the low 50s that was never going to good enough to qualify - even at some soft race. My best bet was always going to be the lottery or legacy and frankly my body is too worn out these days anyway. 

Anyway, good luck to all the Elle’s, weekend warriors who qualify, Spartans like AP and genuinely gifted athletes who toe the line in Kona. Have a great day ya’ll!

Edited by Andrew #1
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

I can understand why some of the elitists on here have the shits about her getting a slot, but they pretty much have the shits over anyone toeing the line that didn’t get a qualification spot based on performance. Fair enough, but that just means they have the shits with 25% of the field in Kona. Moreover, this is nothing new. The founder of the race always wanted a place for the ‘average Joe’ in Kona, hence the old lottery system. The race organisers, going back to Valerie Silk have always had ‘special interest’ entries and frankly Elle is far more deserving than 99% of that category. She has actually done two Ironman races in the last 12 months FFS.

The only thing that shits be about the elitists, is that - other for about 200 people - the rest of the qualifiers just aren’t that elite. Less than 10 people in any category (probably less than 5 if truth be told) are really competitive in Kona, and the whole notion of 5 year age group categories between 20 and 45 years is farcical.

I don't see it as elitism. It's just weird and confusing and doesn't make sense having a "World Championships" where some people qualify others get to race because they used to be morbidly obese or they appeared on The Bachelor.  I have no problem with these guys racing, but create a separate race for them or drop the World Champs tag.

• Like 1

Americans add the World Championship tag to anything Zed.

It is only weird and confusing if you ignore the history and traditions of the sport, particularly the Hawaiian Ironman. It is only because of obvious limitations in the size of field and the ability of a course to hold the amount of interested athletes that there was qualification standards introduced - ie. if the course could cope with 50,000 athletes it would still be a ‘pay your money and front up’ event. That isn’t inconsistent with it being a genuine world championships. It’s just different from the way that the olympics are run, or most other elite sports.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Their baseball world series is a perfect example!

Everyone is making such a big deal out of the word "World Champs". Having raced the ITU World Standard distance championships last year, I'm happy to inform that there are plenty of non elite people racing for their countries. Sure the people who win are the best but there are a lot of others who just enjoy racing for their country with no thought of ever winning. It certainly doesn't mean that it can't be called World Championship as the people who win their age categories are crowned World Champions and deserve it.

30 minutes ago, Evil Guru said:

Everyone is making such a big deal out of the word "World Champs". Having raced the ITU World Standard distance championships last year, I'm happy to inform that there are plenty of non elite people racing for their countries. Sure the people who win are the best but there are a lot of others who just enjoy racing for their country with no thought of ever winning. It certainly doesn't mean that it can't be called World Championship as the people who win their age categories are crowned World Champions and deserve it.

Al last "balance" not often seen around here 😎

Actually seen often, but difficult to hear over the din.