Sign in to follow this  
FatPom

IM Wales prep question

IM Wales is four weeks today (yes it's still Sunday here, the way God intended :lol:).  Training has been going ok, swim has been light (very) everything else ok. We are going holiday this coming Friday and I can do some OWS and running and I can take a bike if I want but it's a huge ball ache really as we'll have surfboards as well and I'm not sure I want to spend that much holiday time away from family.  On the following Friday, we are stopping at Mum's for a few days where I have a bike.

Question is, with what will be three weeks out, will missing 7 days off the bike be the worst idea in the world?  I'm guessing it will but putting it out there.

Cheers

22 minutes ago, A2K said:

You could hire a huffy. 

This is never going to go away now.. Speedo, Ceepo, arm warmers, new bike, 330am uphill in the rain etc etc etc

i dont think it’s ideal FP, but not the end of the world because you’ve got enough miles in the body and a head that knows you can do it. Just don’t get injured by trying to do more running to make up for the lack of bike. 

Then enjoy the wind, rain, hills that comes with wales. 

• Like 3

Is it possible to go into a gym for an hour here and there to do some stationery bike - stair climber - elliptical trainer - rowing machine (do 20min on each of these without breaks at 70-80%HR and that'll be a great substitute for a ride and work all that you need to work at this stage

Then only run on every second day (you're too fragile to run every day) 😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Holiday for 7 days...... assume it is a week off due to illness....... and if you can swim everyday and swim every second day then that’s just a bonus.

I reckon that when most athletes get sick they need to stop all 3 disciplines. 

Also just running and swimming might make you feel a bit fresher for when you get back on the bike.

• Like 1

Thanks all, good suggestions :)

AP, that was my thought also, I’m going to do a bit of googling today to see if there is a gym. If not, i’ll probably figure out a way to take it all.

The holiday was booked back in March when I was ‘definitely’ only doing LCW this year! Hmmm

IronmanFoz, a holiday with a 4yr old is never a ‘do nothing’ option:lol:

Plan a solid ride the day before you go and a solid bike for the day you get home, if you can get on a stationary bike once like ap said then nothing lost really.

Honestly it’s not too dissimilar to how I approach ironmans, three weeks out I have a bigger swim/run week, two weeks out start taper with bike/swim, last week short sessions of all three.

Swim a solid week and you’ll be sweet, it’s not as if you are going to hit the schooners all week and lay around eating pizza. 

Enjoy the holiday 

• Like 2

Nah, you’re still in the mental rehearsal phase. Training shouldn’t start for another 2 or 3 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

If you can do a ‘hero’ day (say 8km swim in chainmail, 250km on the bike with flat tires and 50km run in a wooly jumper) the day before you set off on your holiday, then you can relax ...

But seriously: it’s all in the bank now. If you can a solid 2hr bike ride the day before and perhaps a 90 minute trainer road VO2 Max session the morning you set off and then something like what AP says whilst on holidays, although I reckon 1 trip to the gym will suffice. You are strong on the bike, you won’t lose a thing in that week, especially if you concentrate on swimming (your weakness) and running (newsflash - ironman is a runners race actually). In the first half of your holidays you could do worse than banking your last 2 to 2.5hr long run ... 

18 minutes ago, Andrew #1 said:

If you can do a ‘hero’ day (say 8km swim in chainmail, 250km on the bike with flat tires and 50km run in a wooly jumper) the day before you set off on your holiday, then you can relax ...

But seriously: it’s all in the bank now. If you can a solid 2hr bike ride the day before and perhaps a 90 minute trainer road VO2 Max session the morning you set off and then something like what AP says whilst on holidays, although I reckon 1 trip to the gym will suffice. You are strong on the bike, you won’t lose a thing in that week, especially if you concentrate on swimming (your weakness) and running (newsflash - ironman is a runners race actually). In the first half of your holidays you could do worse than banking your last 2 to 2.5hr long run ... 

It sure seems easier to take the bike now. :lol:

• Haha 1

My tip - dont hurt yourself like ya did last time you went away 🤔

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Surfer said:

My tip - dont hurt yourself like ya did last time you went away 🤔

Still got the scar on leg and the bloody scratch on the watch! :whistling:

• Haha 1

It's Wales! Go sit in a fridge and pour water on your head...it's all about conditioning!

Go good my friend!

• Haha 2