willie

Another sad story to come from Nike

For those that know me know I’m pretty outspoken against this company. I’ve heard some absolute horror stories from athletes through to staff that are now “ex Nike”. I don’t doubt they have a much shadier side to them then what we’ve found out so far... 

The story below really just ****ing irks me in a big big way. They’ll no doubt sweep it under the rug and keep it quiet by sending out lawsuits everywhere. 

Click here for story

I like their shoes - I always run in Nike Free's - I like the natural feel for the road and when I buy them from the Nike factory outlet they're reasonably priced 😎 how they run their business is their business - they'll sort it out

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Each to their own, but a lot of us look at the way a company is run before making purchases now. If you knew how they treated some of their athletes, let alone staff and contractors that make their stuff, you'd probably think twice... Pitty very little of what they do makes it into the media (considering the amount of bashings apple cops about similar stuff). 

We did a big case study on them in my International management studies this term just ending.  They seem to have a long history of getting away with what they can, then saying they'll change until the pressure is off and they go back to the old ways and worse.  The whole company seems to be less about the spirit of the runner or whatever hippie shit they claim to be founded on.

Unfortunately this is the way with most corporations, even Run with might go that way when Willie has turnover in the billions and forgets his roots 😁

29 minutes ago, willie said:

If you knew how they treated some of their athletes, let alone staff and contractors that make their stuff, you'd probably think twice... . 

No he wouldnt cos he likes Nike free, he likes how they feel, and he can get them cheap....

16 minutes ago, Cottoneyes said:

We did a big case study on them in my International management studies this term just ending.  They seem to have a long history of getting away with what they can, then saying they'll change until the pressure is off and they go back to the old ways and worse.  The whole company seems to be less about the spirit of the runner or whatever hippie shit they claim to be founded on.

Unfortunately this is the way with most corporations, even Run with might go that way when Willie has turnover in the billions and forgets his roots 😁

This is exactly it. If we were to be firm in our stance against unethical business, there wouldn't be much choice left for us in the marketplace.

13 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

This is exactly it. If we were to be firm in our stance against unethical business, there wouldn't be much choice left for us in the marketplace.

So true - we can all moralise on these issues but when it comes down to pulling the dollars out of your wallet it's a different story - I got my shipment of Huma gels from Australia Post today - I got enough to last me through each big training session up to Kona in nine weeks - did I mention I was racing the Hawaii Ironman for the nineteenth time - if I found out today that Huma gels (which I find a very good product) didn't employ the right number of LBGTI workers or used under aged children to pack them I'd still use them 😅

I got great service from the Australian distributor - they're a great product - with a great range of flavours - I can't wait until they bring out a "bleeding heart flavour" 🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AP said:

😅

I got great service from the Australian distributor - they're a great product - with a great range of flavours - I can't wait until they bring out a "bleeding heart flavour" 🤩

Just be careful mate, you might be allergic.

20 minutes ago, AP said:

So true - we can all moralise on these issues but when it comes down to pulling the dollars out of your wallet it's a different story - I got my shipment of Huma gels from Australia Post today - I got enough to last me through each big training session up to Kona in nine weeks - did I mention I was racing the Hawaii Ironman for the nineteenth time - if I found out today that Huma gels (which I find a very good product) didn't employ the right number of LBGTI workers or used under aged children to pack them I'd still use them 😅

Nicely put 

1 hour ago, AP said:

Don't worry I tipped off some of my gay mates you are going back to Kona and they are all keen to get Kona pier Speedo photos with you. They said that should count to even the gel thing out in that you'll support them with the photos and give them 12 months of batting material

6 hours ago, willie said:

Each to their own, but a lot of us look at the way a company is run before making purchases now. If you knew how they treated some of their athletes, let alone staff and contractors that make their stuff, you'd probably think twice... Pitty very little of what they do makes it into the media (considering the amount of bashings apple cops about similar stuff). 

I could name a few sports companies that started off in Oz that I find the idea of purchasing any product from unpalatable (no matter how good the product might be).

I get both sides of the story equally - I couldn't really say a thing about anyone for buying from, or not buying from a company!  Where are all our phones manufactured.  2/3's of everything we own?  There is that much bad shit going on in the world that we'll never even hear of, compared to what we do!  We do what we can, but we have lives to live as well.  

The more employees the more chance someone will feel wronged or get upset over something 99% of people wouldn't give a second thought about.  I take any news articles with complaining employees with a grain of salt.  

Agree with above, ill buy something cause it's what I want.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AP said:

b3693a4cc9abce3b3a9d884c1839bbeb.jpg

They will remember to call ironman with that view.

If I can't buy Nike where will I get that last 4%?