FatPom

swim buoy, anyone use one?

We are off on hols next week for some surfing and training. Going to a busy beach and I will be OWS quite a way out to avoid people probably. I was thinking about one of these for some piece of mind.  Anyone use one? waste of time/money?

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/orca-safety-buoy/

This guys a bit of a kook but he does a fair review of them. 

I wouldn’t use one but I

dont take my phone to the beach. 

Car keys and towel always safe on the beach. 

I can swim about 4 k before I need a rest. 

https://youtu.be/o-Zd8NgABfs

Edited by Peter

Cheers Peter. I was thinking more of visibility. Not sure if it's an issue or not but we have some low sun early am and ate evening when I'm likely to be swimming also.

I've tried one and it works surprising well, hardly notice it's there.  Good for securing your gear and for safety/viability/be seen perspective.  Seen it used more in US and Europe open water swimming.  Talking to people who have them, one of the major reason for use is as a confidence boost for pool swimmers moving to open water, if they get into trouble, you have something to hang on to.

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've tried one and it works surprising well, hardly notice it's there.  Good for securing your gear and for safety/viability/be seen perspective.  Seen it used more in US and Europe open water swimming.  Talking to people who have them, one of the major reason for use is as a confidence boost for pool swimmers moving to open water, if they get into trouble, you have something to hang on to.

Cheers Jay.  I wouldn't normally consider one but I have visions of errant kayakers and SUP folks about (probably drunk :lol:)

Cheers Turts. The way my body is feeling lately I need a tricycle and zimmer frame to help out with the other legs as well. :lol:

Lots of the folk I swim with use them. Some for visibility, some to carry keys/gels/camera/etc, and one or 2 for a sense of security offshore. They hardly notice them, so if you want one, grab it. Apparently they are good.

This is mine. 

I chucked some more length on it with a couple of bits of pool noodle to keep the cord well away from my feet. 

Carried a bottle, spibelt with car keys, phone, etc. 

20180810_203742.jpg

• Like 2

Great, thanks all. Need to order some other stuff anyway so I'll throw one in the cart . :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Use one all the time.... a must if there are tools about nearby on Jetskis!

Off to Woollacombe, in August, the chav factor will be high I’m guessing!

I would HIGHLY recommend you use one of these if you're out swimming in open water.

At the end of summer I was coming in slowly in my small boat in past the Cerberus wreck when I spotted one of these buoys.  I was going very slowly but there was some chop and the swimmers were almost impossible to see.  Once I saw the one buoy, I then spotted a number of other swimmers.  The guy doing breast-stroke with no swim cap was the worst.  Could have easily been disaster in a different boat with less visibility.

• Like 1