oldschool69#2

The Photo Thread

NOw I’ve never been a photographer at all but I do like looking at photos that interest me 

Mainly ocean shots and old school shots from where I grew up , last night I saw some photos that a local girl took from out the front of our place and thought they where pretty cool so I thought I start a page for people to post photos that they like any way enjoy 

Croobyar rd by night

B5618743-46DF-49F1-8219-63317B3E572D.jpeg

741C4097-40CE-4C04-A617-4FD0B5E635F9.jpeg

24E953E2-71B6-4F8D-810A-888DFE69AF2D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Saw this pic the other day. I've been swimming with whale sharks and it was awesome.

whale sharks.jpg

• Like 1

I assume it's Cebu in the Philippines, same place that I did it. That little boat looks the same style. Beautiful animals up close. 

they are just amazing creatures, I've had the pleasure of diving with them several times over here in Exmouth and coral bay.  Awesome experience for you A2K

• Like 1

I recently swam with Manta Rays in Bali which was also awesome.

Add to that swimming with turtles and sea snakes off Apo Island in the Philippines. And last but not least swimming inside a bait ball off Moalboal also in the Philippines.

22 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

Croobyar rd by night

The milky-way is always spectacular and awe-inspiring.

• Like 1

Since we're posting photos of whale sharks...

This was on Nigaloo Reef just off Exmouth in WA. Definitely one of the best places I've been in Australia.

P6130151 edit.jpg

• Like 4

This is still my favourite photo my wife took.  She's a bit of a Photoshop genius these days.  But this was old old school.  Taken with a semi manual Canon A1.  Rolled her own black and white film, developed at home in the toilet I converted to a dark room.  Printed with her own enlarger with all the burning and dodging done with hand tools.

Anyone from Brissie wanna guess where this is?

IMG_20180811_070539_1.jpg

• Like 1

It's some old church up on Jubilee terrace (I think that's the road), near the Hale St bypass, though I don't think the bypass was there then.  She had a friend that lived near there.

32 minutes ago, goughy said:

It's some old church up on Jubilee terrace (I think that's the road), near the Hale St bypass, though I don't think the bypass was there then.  She had a friend that lived near there.

Do you mean the Catholic church on Musgrave Rd. I should have known that one. I used to ride past it every day.

redhill-church-smaller.jpg

That must be it.  I know it's up that way somewhere or other.  I wasn't there when she took the pics.

10 minutes ago, goughy said:

That must be it.  I know it's up that way somewhere or other.  I wasn't there when she took the pics.

It's on the left heading west up the hill from the Normanby. I think it's actually the Jubilee Parish church. That's probably where you got Jubilee Tce from.

• Like 1

I took this with my phone in my way to a run one morning.

No filters, no nuffink. 

20180202_064152.jpg

• Like 9

Here are a couple that were taken at Cardrona ski fields on iphone

IMG_1076.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

• Like 4

Trying to snap and not fall in.

Friday arvo paddle. 

IMG_8263.jpg

• Like 7

29 minutes ago, roxii said:

Trying to snap and not fall in.

Friday arvo paddle. 

IMG_8263.jpg

wow. surely not a iPhone pic? 

• Haha 1

Friday night balcony view from partners house in Blue mountains gets some cracking sunsets....!

20180824_170506.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Prince said:

wow. surely not a iPhone pic? 

Yeah surprisingly. 

iPhone 7 in a waterproof case in a wobbly surf ski.

#nofilter 

2 minutes ago, roxii said:

Yeah surprisingly. 

#nofilter 

Hope you have a float attached to the phone😁

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rory-dognz said:

Hope you have a float attached to the phone😁

It’s on a lanyard attached to my PFD. 

1 hour ago, roxii said:

Yeah surprisingly. 

#nofilter 

thats an amazing pic.  I think its this weeks winner....

1 hour ago, Prince said:

thats an amazing pic.  I think its this weeks winner....

Thanks mate. I can’t take too much credit it was just a quick snap before I fell off the ski. Lucky the subject was pretty good 

On 29/09/2018 at 2:30 PM, oldschool69#2 said:

My young fella went out diving and fishing last week with his mate and dad and a couple of others 

he did ok .

819E61E9-AA83-40F5-9C92-709C214C8511.jpeg

4930574E-676C-4678-8A13-B8EE08633D70.jpeg

Nice bag of mixed seafood there. I hope you're not in NSW, as I thought Blue Groper have been illegal to spear since I was your lads age.

22 minutes ago, softy said:

Nice bag of mixed seafood there. I hope you're not in NSW, as I thought Blue Groper have been illegal to spear since I was your lads age.

Yes illegal to spear they actually caught them on line , apparently they made him pull it in with no net etc the dad said it was so funny watching him try getting it into the boat then when they caught the other One the net came out the look on his face was priceless.

i was a bit iffy on eating it but the mother in law cooked it up (used to own a seafood restaurant) bloody beautiful 

Excellent eating, very 'chunky' flesh and similar to big wrasse. The green bones are a bit weird though.

Fight like buggery on the line. Getting back into the water spearing fish is on the top of the list when I'm home. The problem for adults is the bag limits set on crays and ab. Hardly worth putting the wetsuit on in winter for 2 of each, you can get that in 1 breath! No need to pillage the reef but 2 ab and 2 crays doesn't feed my family. 3 crays and 6 ab would do the trick.

Enjoy! 

Yer I’m just learning I’m f ing useless at it get more erchins in my fingers then crays 😂

different fitness that’s for sure , yep two crays doesn’t do us either ! The guy teaching me is a freak ! He has a big frezzer box goes all the time always has 4 in it to feed his family and trades for veggies eggs etc 

dropping my young bloke of in the morning with his nipper pump rods and mtb and mate ahhhh to be young and on school holidays again !!!😂

Does this count as a good photo......My photo made the ABC Far North FaceBook banner for the next month  😁😁😁

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Taken around late July on the 3:15pm flight out of Cooktown.  Only a 16 seat plane, so flies a bit lower and I made sure was first on to get a right hand seat. Took other photos but for some reason that was just super clear.  Seriously was taken on my (at the time my new) Samsung J7!  :)

This is just out of Deans Marsh in Victoria where I've been for a family reunion last weekend. Bloody beautiful and peaceful. Right next to the Otways. 👌

20181008_072640.jpg

• Like 7

I’ll get in on this thread-I used to love getting away from it all and taking pics. This was out in the middle of no where Mungo National Park

08E7197C-CBDA-4976-8985-51BEF709EEA0.jpeg

Edited by more
  • Like 5

One more-Torquay at sunrise, nothing better than having a coffee before going for a dip!

A80A51E7-2F0C-4627-BF93-2D40B07AD483.jpeg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

That is a beaut.  Is it post-edited in any way?

Thanks. I shoot in raw which is basically a digital negative-there is no in camera editing  done as opposed to say pics taken with an iPhone or point and shoot where the editing is largely done in camera.

Raw files are huge-around 80mg each. But what this allows you to do is pull a lot of data from them that is otherwise lost in a pic from a point and shoot. So with raw you generally need to process them in a program like Lightroom to adjust for exposure, contrast, sharpness etc. but  it’s really handy for pics like this of the milky way where you can pull out all the fine details of the stars. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, more said:

Thanks. I shoot in raw which is basically a digital negative-there is no in camera editing  done as opposed to say pics taken with an iPhone or point and shoot where the editing is largely done in camera.

Raw files are huge-around 80mg each. But what this allows you to do is pull a lot of data from them that is otherwise lost in a pic from a point and shoot. So with raw you generally need to process them in a program like Lightroom to adjust for exposure, contrast, sharpness etc. but  it’s really handy for pics like this of the milky way where you can pull out all the fine details of the stars. 

Right.  My photography skills are limited to video or pics on either my Samsung S9 phone, or an old Hero2 GoPro.  Whenever I do a guided fly-fishing trip, I take some video & stills, then put them together in a little video of the clients day using GoPro Studio, which is extremely limited editing software, but does the job.  The video quality off my phone is much better than the GoPro, but I can get underwater footage with the GoPro.  Here is a little highlights clip from the trips I've done over the years which the farmstay I guide for put on their website.  Very basic, but many of my clients are given a days guiding as a present, so are able to show their family what they got for their $'s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gregb said:

It's not all catch and release is it? Those fish looked like they would be delicious. 

100% catch & release.  Trout are pretty boring to eat unless smoked or cooked in a nice sauce IMO. Saltwater fish however are yum.

Some of these are great shots. I wish I had more talent with a camera. I've taken the occasional good photo, but a lot of mediocre. I have a lot to work with here, so I suppose i just have to practice, and read up a little (and maybe buy a camera instead of just a phone). My favourite subject lately has been the flowers in the garden. These were this morning before work.

20181011_065604.jpg

20181011_065804.jpg

On 09/10/2018 at 5:30 PM, more said:

One more-Torquay at sunrise, nothing better than having a coffee before going for a dip!

A80A51E7-2F0C-4627-BF93-2D40B07AD483.jpeg

I did a shot a  bit like this albeit in the not-so-exotic location of Altona. It's a bit of a bs photo, lead-in lines (the pier) rule of thirds (end of pier) long exposure (creamy smooth water) ND filter (to lower the exposure on a sunny day) and HDR (to get a surreal view of the character of the wood.  It all kinda works, but kinda doesn't....

You can't beat the sun and the sky in your pic!

2wdzour.jpg

Edited by Pete
  • Like 3