Sign in to follow this  
AP

Triathlon history

I saw the movie "We are triathletes" last night 

When I started in this game there were the "big four" - Scott - Allen - Tinley - Molina 

In the movie they interviewed Scott, Allen and Tinley - is Molina the forgotten man of the big four? He moved to NZ and the triathlon world has forgotten him

Is he still married to Erin Baker - I imagine that would have been hard work, having met her 🙄

8 minutes ago, AP said:

When I started in this game there were the "big four" - Scott - Allen - Tinley - Molina 

In the movie they interviewed Scott, Allen and Tinley - is Molina the forgotten man of the big four? He moved to NZ and the triathlon world has forgotten him

Is he still married to Erin Baker - I imagine that would have been hard work, having met her 🙄

Hardly forgotten- they both got inducted into the Ironman hall of fame recently... 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/105171446/former-ironman-world-champs-couple-erin-baker-and-scott-molina-inducted-to-hof

• Thanks 1

Also if you listen to podcasts, both are on Legends of Triathlon 

also recently on IM Talk about the time of Roth i think

• Thanks 1

Yep, plus Bob babbet is the most recent.  That was a great listen.

• Thanks 1

I was watching GTN last night and they were talking about whether Ryf is the best ever female triathlete, they  mentioned Rinny and Gwen.  Then they spoke about Chrissie and unless I misheard, I’m sure they said no other woman has won Kona 4 times, without even an acknowledgement of Natasha Badmann :blink:

Or pnf!  Memory only goes so far.  I reckon Badman gets a bit lost in the bunch.  Pnf with her plethora, and then the newbies winning 3 etc.

• Like 1

She’s annoying. But she is easily the best performing Kona female ever.  She came 11th overall in 1988 I think  need to check  Rinny hasn’t done that  yet  

B67BA5E1-1423-42C3-89A2-7E5D711A30B1.png

Edited by Peter
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FatPom said:

I was watching GTN last night and they were talking about whether Ryf is the best ever female triathlete, they  mentioned Rinny and Gwen.  Then they spoke about Chrissie and unless I misheard, I’m sure they said no other woman has won Kona 4 times, without even an acknowledgement of Natasha Badmann :blink:

Pnf.... 

Once again GTN delivers 

11 minutes ago, FFF1077 said:

Pnf.... 

Once again GTN delivers 

yeah they messed up this time but I'm keen to know why you hate GTN so much?  The program is free and harmless enough, isn't it?

Edited by FatPom

I'm just shocked that they didn't feature the man himself AP.....he can't post on trannies without starting with his IM resume.....🤔😏🙄

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Shrek said:

I'm just shocked that they didn't feature the man himself AP.....he can't post on trannies without starting with his IM resume.....🤔😏🙄

Give the great man a break. I think too many people are trying to take the piss. I have never seen him post his resume.

Al has done more than most and the times he does for his age continues to put most to shame......especially those half his age.

i am sure he has thick skin.... but one day he will get tired and we will lose some great knowledge and contributions.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, FatPom said:

yeah they messed up this time but I'm keen to know why you hate GTN so much?  The program is free and harmless enough, isn't it?

No hate ✌️

Just my opinion 😊👍✌️

7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Give the great man a break. I think too many people are trying to take the piss. I have never seen him post his resume.

Al has done more than most and the times he does for his age continues to put most to shame......especially those half his age.

i am sure he has thick skin.... but one day he will get tired and we will lose some great knowledge and contributions.

Hahahahaha so you don't know how many IM he's done, how many of those are in Kona, how many times he's coached a KQ, how many times he's won HOTW etc... if that's the case i assume you've blocked his posts..

7 hours ago, IronmanFoz said:

Funniest post of the year. Love it. 

18 hours ago, AP said:

Erin and Scot are Still married, have grand kids and live in a big seaside house in Christchurch. Erin runs her own business  and has recently returned to competing in the sport after a 15 year break. Molina has continued to train and compete over the years. He has been big into cycling in recent years and placed third in the NZ road national champs 2 years ago. Have a listen to a few of the IMTalk podcasts that feature him or Erin. I don't think they'd be too upset that this movie doesn't have much about them. 

The movie has been written and directed from one or a few people's perspective and is a snapshot in time. The sport is spread so far and wide that it's impossible to capture everything and everyone.

The best takeaway from this whole thing, is there's a triathlon movie in mainstream cinemas showcasing the sport.

• Like 4

Title is off putting:

either we need to justify our selves, or

we think we are special because we are triathletes

Few outside tri community will care. It barely got made needed crowdfunding and in most locations needed the tri community to be pressed into buying tickets to get it shown at all.

5 minutes ago, AP said:

Here it is

* Set a goal that will stretch you - something that will have to be worked for - not just turning up for a race - set an outcome goal

* Work on the process in each sport - get the technique right in each sport and put that goal in front of fitness - fitness with poor technique is worthless

* Get your diet sorted - get used to the sort of diet that will have you within 2kg of race weight all year

* Support your diet with supplements which help recovery and support your immune system

* As you get older train more carefully - when you're 55 you can't train like your 25 - if you're over 45 running two days in a row is asking for trouble

* Set your alarm for 4am - get up withing 20sec - be dressed within 3min 

* When someone gives you free advice check that they follow it themselves - there are too many "experts" in this sport who became "experts" by reading about it

* If you engage a coach make sure he/she looks fit and lean - your coach needs to lead by example - how can a fat, lazy coach inspire anyone

* Focus on recovery - if you need a day off take it - when you're on the start line no one's going to ask to see your training diary

* Stop measuring and recording everything - train for time more often than for pace 

* Don't give free advice unless you live it yourself - it takes a long time to become an expert at anything

* Be patient - it takes years to become an accomplished endurance athlete - OD races are 98% endurance so work on endurance first

* If you have an unsatisfying race - take responsibility yourself - don't look for something outside of yourself to blame

* This game is 70% mental - work at becoming the sort of athlete you would admire - HTFU 

Thanks. getting in early this year... 😉

58 minutes ago, AP said:

Here it is

* Set a goal that will stretch you - something that will have to be worked for - not just turning up for a race - set an outcome goal

* Work on the process in each sport - get the technique right in each sport and put that goal in front of fitness - fitness with poor technique is worthless

* Get your diet sorted - get used to the sort of diet that will have you within 2kg of race weight all year

* Support your diet with supplements which help recovery and support your immune system

* As you get older train more carefully - when you're 55 you can't train like your 25 - if you're over 45 running two days in a row is asking for trouble

* Set your alarm for 4am - get up withing 20sec - be dressed within 3min 

* When someone gives you free advice check that they follow it themselves - there are too many "experts" in this sport who became "experts" by reading about it

* If you engage a coach make sure he/she looks fit and lean - your coach needs to lead by example - how can a fat, lazy coach inspire anyone

* Focus on recovery - if you need a day off take it - when you're on the start line no one's going to ask to see your training diary

* Stop measuring and recording everything - train for time more often than for pace 

* Don't give free advice unless you live it yourself - it takes a long time to become an expert at anything

* Be patient - it takes years to become an accomplished endurance athlete - OD races are 98% endurance so work on endurance first

* If you have an unsatisfying race - take responsibility yourself - don't look for something outside of yourself to blame

* This game is 70% mental - work at becoming the sort of athlete you would admire - HTFU 

In other words, exercise some discipline.

Works wonders in WHOLE of life, and no doubt endurance sports.

"Focus on recovery - if you need a day off take it - when you're on the start line no one's going to ask to see your training diary".

Absolute Gold!! so true

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AP said:

This bit alone sorts out 90% of the muppets on here.

Love your work 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AP said:

Brilliant post Al, but I can't agree completely with this one. The best coach I ever had was Col Stewart. He couldn't run out of sight on a dark night, but he got great results. He groomed some outstanding athletes as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

Brilliant post Al, but I can't agree completely with this one. The best coach I ever had was Col Stewart. He couldn't run out of sight on a dark night, but he got great results. He groomed some outstanding athletes as well.

And Sutto 🤔🤔