A2K

Am I turning into a right winger?

Not sure that I am leaning more to the right these days but I'm sure I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with 'The left' when it comes to this stuff. Two stories in the papers today. The first one is a new phenomenon whereby if people don't like what someone has to say and they can't shut them down they will simply protest and shit stir enough that it will cost the organisers a lot of money on security, possibly to the point where they won't bother.

Secondly if what Arndt is saying is true then it's yet another example of University politics trumping actual facts to further the existing narrative.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/la-trobe-university-lifts-ban-on-bettina-arndt-talk-at-student-liberal-club-event/news-story/15e4a639120c837ef3b0da18149f0897

And this one where people are being told what to say. I'm waiting for the day when people get poked with a cattle prod when they say the wrong thing.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at-work/victorian-public-servants-ordered-to-use-genderneutral-pronouns-for-they-day/news-story/837161685cff538a5fb713621d3064bf

There are two simple questions which can show whether you are indeed coming to your senses:

1.  Which is more important:

(a) equality of opportunity; or

(b) equality of outcome?

2.  Who does free speech apply to?

(a) everyone; or

(b) only people who agree with me

If you answered (a), well done

If you answered (b), you and Parky can still be mates

I answered (a). The thing is though that I think I would have answered the same way since I can remember.

What it looks like to me is left wingers are just getting crazier lately or maybe I'm just noticing it more. IMO it's just counter productive and more about having an excuse to play the victim and be outraged.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, A2K said:

I answered (a). The thing is though that I think I would have answered the same way since I can remember.

What it looks like to me is left wingers are just getting crazier lately or maybe I'm just noticing it more. IMO it's just counter productive and more about having an excuse to play the victim and be outraged.

A bit of both I'd imagine.

That's the difference between liberals and leftists - a genuine liberal will usually be prepared to agree to disagree, but a leftist will try to shut you up

• Like 1

Could be fun ;)  :) 

I'm not as left as Ghandi, but more Libertarian.

Edited by goughy

Midway between Stalin and Ghandi, both of whom tried to appease Hitler!

So I'm a bit to the left and a bit of a librarian. Not far from Nelson Mandela. But geez those far lefties are getting on my goat. 

I would agree with you, but the right nutters are getting on mine too!  Too far either way doesn't work.

• Like 2

It was a presentation to 100 people. It was dealing with campus sexual assault. I think one assault is too many, though agree it does not help over stating it and banning does nothing for positive debate.

it's probably okay to stop referring to the female members of the team as the guys. Can't imagine men being happy if we said to them come on girls.

If these things are upsetting, then yes you are more than right wing, you are an Andrew Bolt and Jonesy acolyte. Its actually a bit of an insult to right wingers as these points of view are not really right wing.

Edited by BarryBevan

1 hour ago, A2K said:

So I'm a bit to the left and a bit of a librarian. Not far from Nelson Mandela. But geez those far lefties are getting on my goat. 

We must have answered the same

Oh yeah, because the far left is so much "crazier" than the far right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Are you angry that you are getting old and young people think you are selfish and crazy for wrecking the planet and driving down wages.

Yes you are probably of the looney right.

Even Malcolm Fraser thought they were daft

9 hours ago, BarryBevan said:

Can't imagine men being happy if we said to them come on girls.

Or women. Cos if you refer to them as girls that's also wrong. Just add it to the ever growing list of words we're being told to use. A lot of this stuff in isolation is no big deal I agree but it never ends. Zie and hir?  

Yin and Yang, Left and Right are required to keep the 'ship' straight, too far right you have a german Nazi party, too far left you have the old USSR.  Trick is you have to able to compromise and as mentioned before, agree to disagree.  Not sure where i stand as i havent used the political compass, but one thing Jordan Peterson said that i think resonates through it all is that free speech is essential, and unfortunately free speech can and will offend both left, right or everybody for that matter.  Thats one of its features.

• Like 3

IMO unless someone is preaching hate and encouraging violence towards others then they should be allowed to speak no matter how distasteful some people might find it. People who disagree can debate them or maybe they'll make a fool of them self but shutting them down is scary. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

When you read the info on the political compass page, it actually talk about how if Stalin and Hitler got together, they'd find a lot to talk about!  That there was more in common with them than you think.  On the examples they show of some of the political figures from history, Stalin was obviously Far Left but also Authoritarian, but they show Hitler as more central than Right, but obviously Authoritarian.  I come out as slightly less Left than Ghandi, but more Libertarian.

That's the thing with politics, we often just think of left and right!  But there is more to it than that.

political_compass example.jpg

Edited by goughy

Just now, A2K said:

IMO unless someone is preaching hate and encouraging violence towards others then they should be allowed to speak no matter how distasteful some people might find it. People who disagree can debate them or maybe they'll make a fool of them self but shutting them down is scary. 

And that's the key

The left will call anything they don't agree with 'hate speech' in order to shut people down so they don't have to bother thinking of ways to rationally refute them

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, goughy said:

When you read the info on the political compass page, it actually talk about how if Stalin and Hitler got together, they'd find a lot to talk about!  

Of course.  They were allies, after all...

The older I get, the less I care about offending people, particularly those with little to no life experience, and who can't see any other point of view.

Unfortunately the older I get, the bigger the pool of these people seems to grow

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On ‎3‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 6:30 AM, lawman said:

Oh yeah, because the far left is so much "crazier" than the far right.

Well you're talking about people who think that despite packing meat and two veg downstairs and having a body full of Y chromosomes, you can still call yourself a woman if you like

And then they call the other side 'anti-science'

So, yeah.  They are...

*Disclaimer*  Of course the far right are also a bunch of arse-hats

Edited by IronJimbo
X --> Y
  • Like 1

On 02/08/2018 at 3:51 PM, A2K said:

Not sure that I am leaning more to the right these days but I'm sure I'm becoming increasingly frustrated with 'The left' when it comes to this stuff. Two stories in the papers today. The first one is a new phenomenon whereby if people don't like what someone has to say and they can't shut them down they will simply protest and shit stir enough that it will cost the organisers a lot of money on security, possibly to the point where they won't bother.

Secondly if what Arndt is saying is true then it's yet another example of University politics trumping actual facts to further the existing narrative.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/la-trobe-university-lifts-ban-on-bettina-arndt-talk-at-student-liberal-club-event/news-story/15e4a639120c837ef3b0da18149f0897

And this one where people are being told what to say. I'm waiting for the day when people get poked with a cattle prod when they say the wrong thing.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/at-work/victorian-public-servants-ordered-to-use-genderneutral-pronouns-for-they-day/news-story/837161685cff538a5fb713621d3064bf

What Ardnt is saying is not true. https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/feb/27/universities-actively-covering-up-sexual-assault-and-harassment-report-says

Unis have a poor track record supporting victims and they cover up. It's not a bad thing that a uni wants to move ahead to make sure that their attempts to protect women from assault are not undermined by somebody spreading mistruth for their own weird agenda.

Also as there is no freedom of speech in Aus, they are well within their rights to shut the speech down. 

1 hour ago, BarryBevan said:

What Ardnt is saying is not true. https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/feb/27/universities-actively-covering-up-sexual-assault-and-harassment-report-says

Unis have a poor track record supporting victims and they cover up. It's not a bad thing that a uni wants to move ahead to make sure that their attempts to protect women from assault are not undermined by somebody spreading mistruth for their own weird agenda.

Also as there is no freedom of speech in Aus, they are well within their rights to shut the speech down. 

I don't know if that's true or not but let's just say it is. Why not attend her talk and confront her with this allegation. Put her on the spot in front of everyone and challenge her to dispute that claim. 

Re freedom of speech in Australia I'm not sure I understand. You mean it's not in the constitution? If so then I hope you agree that a right wing organisation has every right to shut down a left wing speaker?