FatPom

swimming video on GTN. Help me out here

I've been watching these swim tips all week, some of makes sense, some not but I'm confused about the catch/pull action that Heather does. I've noticed it before. During her pull, she kind of brings her arm almost across her stomach and then back towards her thigh. Is this how your arm is meant to be?  I'm sure I bring mine pretty much straight back but I'm slower than a wet weekend.  You can see it here with the doggy paddle drill at 3: 15 onward.

Brett Sutton got Daniela Ryf to forget about her 'perfect pool technique' (even though she misses doing it), says it does not apply to triathlon.

The local swim coach was always into me like a rat up a drainy whenever he saw me swim, said I had too much arm crossover under my body on the pull-through, and elbows not high enough.

I decided the Sutton school of stroke will do me.  I still seem to swim faster than most whenever I hop in the pool (only 2x/week), even with pull & band.

• Thanks 1

Yeah what CN said. 

**** the pretty pool stroke. 

Throw the arms over into an almost immediate catch for ows success. 

GTN are oxygen thieves. 

Sort of like the S-pull they did in the 70s/80s?  That video is going to confuse a sh!tload of people. I also think swimming like this messes with your rotation. Check out Nathan Adrian from about 45s. 

Edited by zed

Yes I'd ignore it. The arm is not meant to be angled in across your body during the pull phase

Cheers guys. Not sure I’d seen many videos in slo mo that are head on like that and I wondered if I was doing something very wrong.

As for GTN,  noit sure why the hate. They seem to do ‘ok’ with their results :lol: They were pretty wooden at first but are heaps more natural in their presenting now.

I don’t take everything as gospel but the show is pleasant enough, and free. 

8 hours ago, zed said:

Sort of like the S-pull they did in the 70s/80s?  That video is going to confuse a sh!tload of people. I also think swimming like this messes with your rotation. Check out Nathan Adrian from about 45s. 

Lol, check out his arm in the recovery phase from 1:22.  That is exactly what the local expert told me was wrong with my stroke,  Bollocks to him, it works for me.

I'm pretty sure one I'm not doing is that final acceleration at the end of the pull, I tend to do everything at the same speed. In fact, if I had a video of me swimming, I'm pretty sure it would show that I'm trying to recover my arm before it has exited the water. 👎

• Haha 1

Video #1 Coach told me that doing doggie paddle your hands should be running on train tracks ie NO crossover

Video #2 coach told me recovery should have a high elbow, hence the finger drag drill.

Lots of ways to skin a cat. 

Find the stroke which leaves you injury free. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 29/07/2018 at 4:58 PM, FFF1077 said:

I hope your school cat didn't hear that!

• Haha 1

On 29/07/2018 at 4:58 PM, FFF1077 said:

I'm sure there's instruction guides somewhere. :)

• Haha 1