prizna

What training did you do today...

3 hours ago, Surfer said:

Cool towel dude, which race is that from 🙄

Seriously love your humour & those budgy smugglers. Too funny 

Favourite towel that one

• Like 1

After a week in bed with man flu. I finally got on the bike to do 90mins very easy.  

• Like 1

1st day of home alone - 11km run; 3.4 km swim; 2 buckets of golf balls.

FM

Edited by Flanman
  • Like 1

What power/hr/pace does everyone do their long rides at? I feel perhaps mine are too easy? FTP is around 260, last measured September. 200km ride on Saturday, power was 150w (174NP), so 60% FTP. HR was 135 which is IM HR. Riding with a pack, so power is always going to be lower. I'm not going to ride 200km solo, but for long periods it felt like a coffee ride, not Ironman training. Maybe I've been watching too many Lionel Sanders videos?

2 minutes ago, zed said:

What power/hr/pace does everyone do their long rides at? I feel perhaps mine are too easy? FTP is around 260, last measured September. 200km ride on Saturday, power was 150w (174NP), so 60% FTP. HR was 135 which is IM HR. Riding with a pack, so power is always going to be lower. I'm not going to ride 200km solo, but for long periods it felt like a coffee ride, not Ironman training. Maybe I've been watching too many Lionel Sanders videos?

what POWER do you want to race at? I did very few group rides when training for IM as it was not specific to the demands of the event.

The majority of my long rides were 'easy' 25km to the start point and then between 100 and 150km at the power I wanted to do the event at then 25 km easy back home.

The reason I did this was that I had heard so many stories on here about doing 4 months worth of weekly 6 hour/130km rides then trying to do the 180km in 5 hours and wondering why that didnt pan out..

Ps my target power was straight from the 'training and racing with power meter' formula but i think rather than middle of the range I should have gone for the lower end being my first IM..

Just now, pieman said:

The majority of my long rides were 'easy' 25km to the start point and then between 100 and 150km at the power I wanted to do the event at then 25 km easy back home.

The reason I did this was that I had heard so many stories on here about doing 4 months worth of weekly 6 hour/130km rides then trying to do the 180km in 5 hours and wondering why that didnt pan out..

Yeah that's what I would have thought. I reckon I'm a good 20 - 30w of race pace power. 

An hour or two at race pace near the end of your long ride is sufficient, depending on where you are in your program and also provided you do your weekly speed and tempo workouts on the other days. 

6 minutes ago, Prince said:

An hour or two at race pace near the end of your long ride is sufficient, depending on where you are in your program and also provided you do your weekly speed and tempo workouts on the other days. 

Yeah I have some solid mid week sessions, I do a fair few on Zwift in erg mode. It's easier to stick to prescribed wattage when in Ergo mode, you have no choice basically! I get off the bike sometimes flogged! I should go OK in IMWA Last year I wasn't on a program and my biking was all over the place, consisting largely of short 20 - 40km Zwift races! 

Um - don’t disregard HR completely. As far as I have read (HR 135bpm), you did 200k at race effort. Banked. Locked. Come back and do it again next week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zed said:

Yeah I have some solid mid week sessions, I do a fair few on Zwift in erg mode. It's easier to stick to prescribed wattage when in Ergo mode, you have no choice basically! I get off the bike sometimes flogged! I should go OK in IMWA Last year I wasn't on a program and my biking was all over the place, consisting largely of short 20 - 40km Zwift races! 

yes, and remember many of your sessions you have been doing in a fatigued state. Remember, it is all a learning experience. If you don't get it exactly right this time, you will know what worked and what didn't.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prince said:

yes, and remember many of your sessions you have been doing in a fatigued state. Remember, it is all a learning experience. If you don't get it exactly right this time, you will know what worked and what didn't.  

Yeah that's actually been a huge problem during this program. I had this problem with a previous coach. Doing a s/b/r and performing poorly because I'm really fatigued and they're scratching their heads wondering why I'm doing 1km repeats at HM pace.... I've obviously explained I'm fatigued, but its almost like they have  expected (judging by the paces in the training peaks workout) me to be pretty much fresh, or close to fresh all the time. 

I know deep down, I'm probably OK, but it knocks your confidence a bit when they don't seem to take fatigue into consideration and you don't come close to getting the times on the program.  Diet/hydration is good.

42 minutes ago, zed said:

Diet / hydration good 

Hungry jacks and bush chooks?

Edited by KieranR

1 hour ago, KieranR said:

Diet / hydration good 

Hungry jacks and bush chooks?

haha yeah u know it!

7 hours ago, zed said:

What was the purpose of the session? Was it just time in the saddle? Were there efforts? Specificity?

If it was just about time in the saddle then wattage doesn’t mean too much, although I think you’re always better off doing your IM long rides either solo or with just one or two others so you’re always doing work.

Are you including efforts in any of your long rides? I generally found that on my long rides with efforts I was typically riding either well above or well below race pace but my average wattage for the whole ride came out pretty close to race wattage. Unless it was just a ‘kms in the legs’ ride which were always typically 20-30 watts under race wattage.

Just started week 2 of a real MAF focus.  Can't swim due to a hand injury so just riding and running, trying to build volume so all low intensity.

66 minutes on Zwift....6.6km running.  Not the most exciting training but what I need at the moment!

• Like 2

Well, what I can genuinely consider my first training day of the year this morning!  Back with my old cycling group.  And it was beyond pathetic!  Holy shit.  I knew I'd have no strength, but the total absence of muscular endurance was mind blowing!  Normally when I crest the top of a difficult rise (and was usually last, even in the past) I could push on and recover fairly quickly for the next hill.  Not today.  Don't know why I expected any different of course.  Gotta start somewhere; the bottom is as good as anywhere.

• Like 2

Keep at it Goughy. IMO, out of the 3 disciplines, cycling is the easiest to get back into.

• Like 2

Luckily, I haven't really lost any places in the group.  I was last when I was at my best.  Still last now 😁

A couple of guys in the group won their division in the TTT at the recent state champs, so in pretty good form.

• Like 1

parkrun with the kids, 5km in 40 minutes but exactly the day I needed.

@goughy starting training back with a bunch ride is a big call...I don't have the speed to stick with a bunch even when I am fit!

• Like 1

Just now, Toolish said:

parkrun with the kids, 5km in 40 minutes but exactly the day I needed.

@goughy starting training back with a bunch ride is a big call...I don't have the speed to stick with a bunch even when I am fit!

Toolish, you pick the bunch, and then you sit in. :)

Got in a good session this morning before the smoke and heat kicked in. Still 30C when Finished. 81 km ride/ 8 km run brick. 
FM

• Like 1

4 hours on the new bike...with the better half trying to hang on 😁😂😎

Last ride together this year with her pending knee surgery....🙈

20191116_092837.jpg

20191116_074423.jpg

20191116_092940.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Shrek said:

4 hours on the new bike...with the better half trying to hang on 😁😂😎

Last ride together this year with her pending knee surgery....🙈

20191116_092837.jpg

20191116_074423.jpg

20191116_092940.jpg

Great pics!  All the best for 'the better half' knee surgery 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Surfer said:

Go Imogen.  Who's her coach?, she's flying😉😊

She runs well in spite of her coach not because of him. 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, FatPom said:

She runs well in spite of her coach not because of him. 😀

I love all the dad's on here doing stuff with their kids, especially the girls. Something I never had & its just so good to see. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

I love all the dad's on here doing stuff with their kids, especially the girls. Something I never had & its just so good to see. 

It’s like a whole new world for me. To be honest, I’m pretty selfish and was very concerned about how of ‘my time’ she would take away, especially at my age.

Now I just don’t care and enjoy doing anything active with her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hobbling around. Had a fall four weeks in Singapore. Decided to pass out and hit my right knee and face. Face was the initial focus. Have had physio and getting gp referral for MRI. Knee cap must have got a terrible whack and has pushed backward. The other 56 days away were brilliant. Walked between 5km and 12km a day. Was looking forward to coming back to start some running. Feeling annoyed, as this is my bad knee from my motor bike accident many years ago.

• Sad 2

An hour and 40a for a 44km ride this am (road ride number two in the 3 months since I broke my foot).

Now off to my daughter's house to check out her new pool and look at ultrasounds of my first grandchild (due 1 April).  🤗

• Like 1

3hr easy bike as trying to get used to my new cervelo before next weeks Western Sydney 70.3.  For the more serious athletes, they would be shocked that I would be using a bike that I have only ridden for about a week, but hell I say. 

• Like 1

Drank rums and looked at events next year to try and get motivated.  Does that count as training?

• Like 1

After a ride and run, I ventured down to do a few laps. Just a walk through the BBQ area and onto the pool. Ho hum....

FM

CDD1A34F-42D3-4939-ACEB-2B2205561439.jpeg

411A1D1E-BFA8-40E8-A34C-F5D0F639DF4E.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Flanman said:

After a ride and run, I ventured down to do a few laps. Just a walk through the BBQ area and onto the pool. Ho hum....

FM

CDD1A34F-42D3-4939-ACEB-2B2205561439.jpeg

411A1D1E-BFA8-40E8-A34C-F5D0F639DF4E.jpeg

Nice set up you got yourself there FM. Must take some time out of your day to keep it looking that good, no wonder you had to give up work 😉

16 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Nice set up you got yourself there FM. Must take some time out of your day to keep it looking that good, no wonder you had to give up work 😉

Haha. It is our collective back yard. I use the facilities and get someone else to do the dirty work. Life's hard.

FM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bugger the rest day.... Back on here so everyday it is. 

Easy 6km jog while Mooj was at squads. Getting over a broken little toe so I have zero running economy at the moment. Great to get out again though 👍👍👍