prizna

What training did you do today...

6hrs of hiking in rough granite country around Tenterfield y'day testing out my new mouse fly design on Muzzies.  It looks the ducks guts in the water, but is a heavy pig to cast once wet. Think I'll hit it with some of that water-repelling spray.  One little Muzzie had a smack at it though.

If I can summon up some motivation, a little brick session today with the Mrs.

MuzzyMouse2.jpg

Edited by ComfortablyNumb
  • Like 1

Outlet track at Wanaka. 17km

During the run though of ComfortlyNumb and fishing in the Cluta. Here is a photo for you. 

This is part of the run leg for Challenge Wanaka 

74188C75-3EC3-4D4F-8809-50FF32F30732.jpeg

451FB2E5-CE6D-42F6-A5AC-519234F02C85.jpeg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rory-dognz said:

Outlet track at Wanaka. 17km

During the run though of ComfortlyNumb and fishing in the Cluta. Here is a photo for you. 

This is part of the run leg for Challenge Wanaka 

74188C75-3EC3-4D4F-8809-50FF32F30732.jpeg

451FB2E5-CE6D-42F6-A5AC-519234F02C85.jpeg

Been to Wanaka a few years ago, loved it Rory. Will move there when I win the lottery.  Got busted off by a whopper in the lake!

Sat:  It was Flipper's birthday/not birthday party.  38kids and 32C, that was enough for one day. :lol:

Sun: 22km trail run/walk, 2hrs31 :blink: Body definitely not recovered from last week (or yesterday)

• Like 1

Run home from work. Felt strong for the first time in a week or so.

Finally got round to last week's long run. 1:40 Z2 then finished with 20 mins at 4m/K. Swim tomorrow methinks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is becoming the "What did Monkie to today" thread!

Tempo run, 40mins @3:56. Felt awesome. Could have carried on.

• Like 1

My activity this week so far has been 4 surfs the old back has been tight but not painful (been trying hard to stretch and sit ups push ups etc) Today my 13 year old paddle out with me it was 5ft on the bigger ones but pretty much 4ft . My last wave though my back seized up which was disappointing .but the highlight was Cody being a little nervous and unsure when the sets came in to a few of us g ing him up and he took one and got the wave of his young life ,so stoked for him he paddle back out with a smile on his face like the harbour bridge .

I was stoked for him it’s the small things in life I love at the moment 👍

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, oldschool69#2 said:

My activity this week so far has been 4 surfs the old back has been tight but not painful (been trying hard to stretch and sit ups push ups etc) Today my 13 year old paddle out with me it was 5ft on the bigger ones but pretty much 4ft . My last wave though my back seized up which was disappointing .but the highlight was Cody being a little nervous and unsure when the sets came in to a few of us g ing him up and he took one and got the wave of his young life ,so stoked for him he paddle back out with a smile on his face like the harbour bridge .

I was stoked for him it’s the small things in life I love at the moment 👍

Nothing better than being in the surf with your kids mate.  Flipper was 3.5yrs old when this was taken. I love this pic and Mrs FP had it printed on a mug for me. I think it’s one of the things I would save in a fire haha.

I hear you on the back issues, that and a lack of opportunity to surf as much as I’d like over here, means my pop up has gotten quite slow, can be annoying for sure!

D8837361-EBB5-4C46-80CB-46B34D7E98FA.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour getting muddy and wet on the trails out the back of my house yesterday, loved it, like school day cross country but with more scrambling over rocks. Went to the gym today to do Yassos as the ovals are all sodden. 5 x 800 descending from 2:48 to 2:40. Backing up with a long run tomorrow before the next trip, I shall sleep on the plane!

4 hours ago, FatPom said:

Nothing better than being in the surf with your kids mate.  Flipper was 3.5yrs old when this was taken. I love this pic and Mrs FP had it printed on a mug for me. I think it’s one of the things I would save in a fire haha.

I hear you on the back issues, that and a lack of opportunity to surf as much as I’d like over here, means my pop up has gotten quite slow, can be annoying for sure!

D8837361-EBB5-4C46-80CB-46B34D7E98FA.jpeg

I have a similar photo of my daughter when she was about 3 

ironically on a beach we now call home !  I love that photo .

i took this one a couple weeks ago when we all headed down just for a swim and body bash as there was no surf.

the family that surfs together stays together haha 

826F4E64-35DB-4B64-AB51-0CAA966AA227.jpeg

2FBDFA7C-4F2D-43E5-A8F7-EE66E334DE4D.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thought I would set myself a challenge today. To swim off the beach till I couldn’t see the beach any more then swim back.

Was a tough 200m  :lol: 

F04A7110-7191-4125-AC7D-2B06168360D2.jpeg

• Haha 5

Little brick session today 30kms bike/15min run-walk. 

Nearly ended up in the bucket of a farmers tractor when he thought it would be a clever idea to swing across to the wrong side of the road for a bit to turn into his gate at the top of a steep hill on a blind RH corner. 

Meh, it's only a cyclist, how fast can this lycra wanker be climbing that hill? 

Answer - fast enough to have to swerve onto the wrong side of the road to not end up in your effin bucket!

Would have been interesting to see a car rounding that bend at 50kmh instead of me at 15kmh.

<dummySpit>

I am fed up with this shitty winter. The one winter when I'm trying to focus on the bike as the body still wont let me run properly and all we get is drizzle drizzle and more drizzle. What happened to cold dry winters in Sydney?!? I refuse to do 3 mind numbingly boring trainer sessions in one week.  

</dummySpit>

Walking the dog this morning doing a lap of kurnell and saw lots of guys fixing flats too. 

5 hours ago, BogFrog said:

<dummySpit>

I am fed up with this shitty winter. The one winter when I'm trying to focus on the bike as the body still wont let me run properly and all we get is drizzle drizzle and more drizzle. What happened to cold dry winters in Sydney?!? I refuse to do 3 mind numbingly boring trainer sessions in one week.  

</dummySpit>

You won’t dissolve, think of all the bike cleaning opportunities!

10km easy jog, 55mins. That’s pretty much now until race day, maybe a 5km and 3km in the week. Plus a shed load of hip work.

40km in the hills after a solid 130km in the hills yesterday. Got home & the family wanted to go hike Mt Lofty.

Damm kid had me on the ropes early, luckily my endurance kicked and she started to fade. She was still nipping at my heels as we got to the summit. I fear my days as the top dog are numbered.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, FatPom said:

You won’t dissolve, think of all the bike cleaning opportunities!

With my record of staying upright? Na...

• Haha 1

55km trail run. Was meant to be 100km, Race to the Stones but a huge tumble at 18km that smashed my knee and banged my bad hip, saw me bail at 55km from the increasing pain. :crybaby:

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

55km trail run. Was meant to be 100km, Race to the Stones but a huge tumble at 18km that smashed my knee and banged my bad hip, saw me bail at 55km from the increasing pain. :crybaby:

Crikey FP - I thought running was safer than cycling ! Take care and heal fast 

4 hours ago, FatPom said:

Mate that's no good! Hopefully it's not too bad going forward.

Inspired by a few things and seeing you doing these couple of races had me go out for 23km on the trails yesterday. I haven't done more than 10km since September last year and probably bit off more than I could chew. Enjoyed about 18km of it and sucked up the last 5km because I had to get home somehow!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

Crikey FP - I thought running was safer than cycling ! Take care and heal fast 

Thanks Cat Lady.  I've hit the deck three times badly trail running, twice this year and once last year in Portugal.  I think when I'm trail running slowly/steadily, I have a tendency to let my feet push forward a bit and 'scuff' what ever has tripped me. I need better technique.  There lots of falls yesterday apparently.

6 hours ago, nealo said:

Mate that's no good! Hopefully it's not too bad going forward.

Inspired by a few things and seeing you doing these couple of races had me go out for 23km on the trails yesterday. I haven't done more than 10km since September last year and probably bit off more than I could chew. Enjoyed about 18km of it and sucked up the last 5km because I had to get home somehow!

I saw your post in the trail thread mate, really glad you are getting it.  I have family here this weekend. (support crew, whom I feel like let down, they had to drive 50miles to come and get me). When they've gone and I can think a bit straighter, I'll do my report.

11 hours ago, FatPom said:

That's tough, not much consolation but at least there's another day and lots of runs to choose from around the UK.  Hey at least you managed to do another ultra even though you didn't make the full 100km!  I even tripped and fell going uphill the other day - at least it was a bit more of a slow motion crash 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Thanks Cat Lady.  I've hit the deck three times badly trail running, twice this year and once last year in Portugal.  I think when I'm trail running slowly/steadily, I have a tendency to let my feet push forward a bit and 'scuff' what ever has tripped me. I need better technique.  There lots of falls yesterday apparently.

I saw your post in the trail thread mate, really glad you are getting it.  I have family here this weekend. (support crew, whom I feel like let down, they had to drive 50miles to come and get me). When they've gone and I can think a bit straighter, I'll do my report.

OUCH!  Thats crap news FP, sorry to hear this happened. Im sure your family dont feel let down, theyre probably just as  disappointed for you as we are. All the best for a quick recovery & dont beat yourself up .. you're in enough pain as it is. 

• Like 1

Thanks all.  Looking at the list of races today, there a few more open later in the year that carry 4 UTMB points but they have way more vert than I'm used to, tighter cut offs and of course, shorter days.

The strange thing this is, yesterday's events have me really questioning whether I have what it takes for CCC and whether the points are worth chasing at all.

Need to address my hip and keep a cool head before doing anything.

• Like 1

Good week with family away.

I have 4 bikes and got to use them all

Wed: aero road/TT bike on trainer with Zwift watching Giro Rosa highlights

Friday: XC MTB on firetrails on a night ride, testing out new battery for light

Sat am: road ride with Bunch on road bike

Sat pm: Trail MTB at Hornsby bike park for a bash around the trails

Today used XC MTB again on fire trails

3 runs as well, two off road

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just blew up 4km into an 11km tempo run. Really struggling to find consistency at the moment, sooo much travel. Might have to revise Sydney expectations!

Day 12 of this chest cold/whatever this is. It's not the flu as there have been no body aches and no nasty fevers. Last exercise was on July 5 when I spent 90 mins on the trainer.

But as it has been in the chest, and productive coughing I have decided to rest. Might try to get on the bike tonight as "production" has slowed. 

19 hours ago, monkie said:

Just blew up 4km into an 11km tempo run. Really struggling to find consistency at the moment, sooo much travel. Might have to revise Sydney expectations!

Ive just returned from a trip around Europe & struggling with sleep & training. Travel knocks me around. Maybe revise your training a bit & you'll meet your expectations?  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Surfer said:

Ive just returned from a trip around Europe & struggling with sleep & training. Travel knocks me around. Maybe revise your training a bit & you'll meet your expectations?  

I'm doing long haul pretty much every other week at the moment, and when I'm there I'm staying in places not very conducive to training (Delhi, Singapore, Hong Kong are the current regulars) and a long run on a treadmill is just soul destroying. I'll do what I can and choose a target time nearer the race. If this one isn't a PB then hey ho, something to aim for next time!

• Like 1

On 14/07/2019 at 4:41 PM, FatPom said:

I have family here this weekend. (support crew, whom I feel like let down, they had to drive 50miles to come and get me). When they've gone and I can think a bit straighter, I'll do my report.

Don't be daft. None of them will think like that I'm sure. I think all of us put this pressure on ourselves that our "support crews" care about our performance. Not a single one of my mates / family who have come to a race cared about how I did or whether I finished. If I had a good craic and ended safe then they're just happy to see me doing something I enjoy (which to them is usually a complete mystery as to why it's even fun in the first place).

• Like 4

1 minute ago, monkie said:

Don't be daft. None of them will think like that I'm sure. I think all of us put this pressure on ourselves that our "support crews" care about our performance. Not a single one of my mates / family who have come to a race cared about how I did or whether I finished. If I had a good craic and ended safe then they're just happy to see me doing something I enjoy (which to them is usually a complete mystery as to why it's even fun in the first place).

Cheers mate, that's pretty much what they said as well! I'm back in the gym later but just for some mat work and to see 'what's what' body wise.  Got some more physio later in the week.

On the plus side, my sister has informed that the points required for CCC have been dropped to 6, so I would just need a 2pt race to qualify and there are a few of those left open.

Priority is sorting my body out first though.

• Like 2

My first swim since IMOZ 70.3 - 2 km swim. Gym yesterday and a run tomorrow (then my golf lesson). Geez, this life is hard.

FM

• Like 4

What a difference 48 hours, good food and rest make!

After Tuesday aborted tempo run I did a 90 minute easy roll out yesterday and then today got back on plan with a 53:20 (very precise I know) tempo run ending up with average pace of 3:56. Was done in by the end though. Next week it's 60 minutes. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Decided to start work late 8.30am, so on bike at 7am.

Rode about 1hr on M7 bikepath, Garmin says a high of 3 degC and a low of 0 degC. My toes are still numb

Beautiful morning out, and 2 coffee's and 3 donuts; celebrating one of my co-workers new contract and another's birthday, later planning on sleeping the rest of the work day

Edited by rory-dognz
spelling

20 minutes ago, Katz said:

Today I rode the whole way to work in the big ring. 

forget to charge the DI2? 

3 minutes ago, pieman said:

forget to charge the DI2? 

LOL. No DI2 for me.

No, I am pretty soft and actively avoid anything that hurts. The low grade long term discomfort of an IM for example is far preferable to short sharp pain. I've decided to change that though and toughen up.

• Like 2

Did a Mona Fartlek last night after testing it out last week. Holy wow that hurts if you don't quite have flat, straight ground to run on. Managed to keep every interval below 4:00/km with the exception of 2 of the 15s intervals when I got caught out by the starts of the intervals. Run to the path that I did it on and then run home and it was 7.5km of ouchie.

Also tested out an ITT warm up protocol on Wednesday night which was actually pretty fun. It was the Phil Gaimon warm up of 5 minutes easy and then increasing by 10bpm with a return back to about 115bpm in between each interval. Took 20 minutes and was a great warm up.

46 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Did a Mona Fartlek last night after testing it out last week. Holy wow that hurts if you don't quite have flat, straight ground to run on. Managed to keep every interval below 4:00/km with the exception of 2 of the 15s intervals when I got caught out by the starts of the intervals. Run to the path that I did it on and then run home and it was 7.5km of oucie.

They hurt bad if you do them properly. Effective though! It's the fourth 30 second one that really stings.

30 minutes ago, monkie said:

They hurt bad if you do them properly. Effective though! It's the fourth 30 second one that really stings.

For me, it was the 3rd, because I started to run out of mental capacity and then thought that the end of the 2nd one was the end of the 3rd. All of a sudden, I slipped mentally and didn't really quite recover. Turns out I slipped on all 4 of the 15s efforts. Bit disappointed with that. Average split paces as below. For reference, my 5km PB is 21:31 and I'm sitting around 22:30ish at the moment. 

[3:54, 3:52], [3:48, 3:48, 3:50, 3:53],  [3:59, 4:01, 3:59, 3:59], [4:09, 4:10, 4:32, 4:17].

Had a crack at ParkRun today, first time in over 6 mths I think.  Wasn't expecting much given the exploits of the last few weeks, and managed a personal worst of 23.03 on this course.

Really died in the last 1500mtrs. 

• Like 1

Not really training, but I feel like I raced an IM at the moment. I moved 3 trailer loads (a bit over 2 tonne) of gravel an average of 10m 1 shovel load at a time, all after 2:30 this afternoon.

I think tomorrow morning is going to feel worse, but I've been told the dam is under 15 degrees (very unusual up here), so the crew are heading out for a swim. Maybe some cold-water therapy will help the sore muscles.

No swim this morning. Far too engrossed in last night's stage of the tour & didn't get to bed till after 1am.

I was right though. I'm aching all over now. :)

• Like 1

30 min Zwift early doors. Then ran with Flipper at Jnr ParkRun ( she PB"d) . Might get out on MTB later if time allows.

Edited by FatPom

A bit more gravel work this morning, then a 4km bushwalk this afternoon. I really felt each uphill section. The legs were dead from walking back & forward with the extra weight yesterday.