Jump to content
prizna

What training did you do today...

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Cat Lady said:

Crikey FP - I thought running was safer than cycling ! Take care and heal fast 

Thanks Cat Lady.  I've hit the deck three times badly trail running, twice this year and once last year in Portugal.  I think when I'm trail running slowly/steadily, I have a tendency to let my feet push forward a bit and 'scuff' what ever has tripped me. I need better technique.  There lots of falls yesterday apparently.

6 hours ago, nealo said:

Mate that's no good! Hopefully it's not too bad going forward.

Inspired by a few things and seeing you doing these couple of races had me go out for 23km on the trails yesterday. I haven't done more than 10km since September last year and probably bit off more than I could chew. Enjoyed about 18km of it and sucked up the last 5km because I had to get home somehow!

I saw your post in the trail thread mate, really glad you are getting it.  I have family here this weekend. (support crew, whom I feel like let down, they had to drive 50miles to come and get me). When they've gone and I can think a bit straighter, I'll do my report.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, FatPom said:

55km trail run. Was meant to be 100km, Race to the Stones but a huge tumble at 18km that smashed my knee and banged my bad hip, saw me bail at 55km from the increasing pain. :crybaby:

That's tough, not much consolation but at least there's another day and lots of runs to choose from around the UK.  Hey at least you managed to do another ultra even though you didn't make the full 100km!  I even tripped and fell going uphill the other day - at least it was a bit more of a slow motion crash 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FatPom said:

Thanks Cat Lady.  I've hit the deck three times badly trail running, twice this year and once last year in Portugal.  I think when I'm trail running slowly/steadily, I have a tendency to let my feet push forward a bit and 'scuff' what ever has tripped me. I need better technique.  There lots of falls yesterday apparently.

I saw your post in the trail thread mate, really glad you are getting it.  I have family here this weekend. (support crew, whom I feel like let down, they had to drive 50miles to come and get me). When they've gone and I can think a bit straighter, I'll do my report.

OUCH!  Thats crap news FP, sorry to hear this happened. Im sure your family dont feel let down, theyre probably just as  disappointed for you as we are. All the best for a quick recovery & dont beat yourself up .. you're in enough pain as it is. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all.  Looking at the list of races today, there a few more open later in the year that carry 4 UTMB points but they have way more vert than I'm used to, tighter cut offs and of course, shorter days.

The strange thing this is, yesterday's events have me really questioning whether I have what it takes for CCC and whether the points are worth chasing at all.

Need to address my hip and keep a cool head before doing anything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good week with family away.

I have 4 bikes and got to use them all

Wed: aero road/TT bike on trainer with Zwift watching Giro Rosa highlights

Friday: XC MTB on firetrails on a night ride, testing out new battery for light

Sat am: road ride with Bunch on road bike

Sat pm: Trail MTB at Hornsby bike park for a bash around the trails

Today used XC MTB again on fire trails

3 runs as well, two off road

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just blew up 4km into an 11km tempo run. Really struggling to find consistency at the moment, sooo much travel. Might have to revise Sydney expectations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Day 12 of this chest cold/whatever this is. It's not the flu as there have been no body aches and no nasty fevers. Last exercise was on July 5 when I spent 90 mins on the trainer.

But as it has been in the chest, and productive coughing I have decided to rest. Might try to get on the bike tonight as "production" has slowed. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, monkie said:

Just blew up 4km into an 11km tempo run. Really struggling to find consistency at the moment, sooo much travel. Might have to revise Sydney expectations!

Ive just returned from a trip around Europe & struggling with sleep & training. Travel knocks me around. Maybe revise your training a bit & you'll meet your expectations?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Surfer said:

Ive just returned from a trip around Europe & struggling with sleep & training. Travel knocks me around. Maybe revise your training a bit & you'll meet your expectations?  

I'm doing long haul pretty much every other week at the moment, and when I'm there I'm staying in places not very conducive to training (Delhi, Singapore, Hong Kong are the current regulars) and a long run on a treadmill is just soul destroying. I'll do what I can and choose a target time nearer the race. If this one isn't a PB then hey ho, something to aim for next time!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/07/2019 at 4:41 PM, FatPom said:

 I have family here this weekend. (support crew, whom I feel like let down, they had to drive 50miles to come and get me). When they've gone and I can think a bit straighter, I'll do my report.

Don't be daft. None of them will think like that I'm sure. I think all of us put this pressure on ourselves that our "support crews" care about our performance. Not a single one of my mates / family who have come to a race cared about how I did or whether I finished. If I had a good craic and ended safe then they're just happy to see me doing something I enjoy (which to them is usually a complete mystery as to why it's even fun in the first place).

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, monkie said:

Don't be daft. None of them will think like that I'm sure. I think all of us put this pressure on ourselves that our "support crews" care about our performance. Not a single one of my mates / family who have come to a race cared about how I did or whether I finished. If I had a good craic and ended safe then they're just happy to see me doing something I enjoy (which to them is usually a complete mystery as to why it's even fun in the first place).

Cheers mate, that's pretty much what they said as well! I'm back in the gym later but just for some mat work and to see 'what's what' body wise.  Got some more physio later in the week.

On the plus side, my sister has informed that the points required for CCC have been dropped to 6, so I would just need a 2pt race to qualify and there are a few of those left open.

Priority is sorting my body out first though.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first swim since IMOZ 70.3 - 2 km swim. Gym yesterday and a run tomorrow (then my golf lesson). Geez, this life is hard.

FM

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a difference 48 hours, good food and rest make!

After Tuesday aborted tempo run I did a 90 minute easy roll out yesterday and then today got back on plan with a 53:20 (very precise I know) tempo run ending up with average pace of 3:56. Was done in by the end though. Next week it's 60 minutes. Fingers crossed!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to start work late 8.30am, so on bike at 7am.

Rode about 1hr on M7 bikepath, Garmin says a high of 3 degC and a low of 0 degC. My toes are still numb

Beautiful morning out, and 2 coffee's and 3 donuts; celebrating one of my co-workers new contract and another's birthday, later planning on sleeping the rest of the work day

Edited by rory-dognz
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Katz said:

Today I rode the whole way to work in the big ring. 

forget to charge the DI2? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, pieman said:

forget to charge the DI2? 

LOL. No DI2 for me.

No, I am pretty soft and actively avoid anything that hurts. The low grade long term discomfort of an IM for example is far preferable to short sharp pain. I've decided to change that though and toughen up.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did a Mona Fartlek last night after testing it out last week. Holy wow that hurts if you don't quite have flat, straight ground to run on. Managed to keep every interval below 4:00/km with the exception of 2 of the 15s intervals when I got caught out by the starts of the intervals. Run to the path that I did it on and then run home and it was 7.5km of ouchie.

Also tested out an ITT warm up protocol on Wednesday night which was actually pretty fun. It was the Phil Gaimon warm up of 5 minutes easy and then increasing by 10bpm with a return back to about 115bpm in between each interval. Took 20 minutes and was a great warm up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, BNothling said:

Did a Mona Fartlek last night after testing it out last week. Holy wow that hurts if you don't quite have flat, straight ground to run on. Managed to keep every interval below 4:00/km with the exception of 2 of the 15s intervals when I got caught out by the starts of the intervals. Run to the path that I did it on and then run home and it was 7.5km of oucie.

They hurt bad if you do them properly. Effective though! It's the fourth 30 second one that really stings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, monkie said:

They hurt bad if you do them properly. Effective though! It's the fourth 30 second one that really stings.

For me, it was the 3rd, because I started to run out of mental capacity and then thought that the end of the 2nd one was the end of the 3rd. All of a sudden, I slipped mentally and didn't really quite recover. Turns out I slipped on all 4 of the 15s efforts. Bit disappointed with that. Average split paces as below. For reference, my 5km PB is 21:31 and I'm sitting around 22:30ish at the moment. 

[3:54, 3:52], [3:48, 3:48, 3:50, 3:53],  [3:59, 4:01, 3:59, 3:59], [4:09, 4:10, 4:32, 4:17].

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a crack at ParkRun today, first time in over 6 mths I think.  Wasn't expecting much given the exploits of the last few weeks, and managed a personal worst of 23.03 on this course.

Really died in the last 1500mtrs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not really training, but I feel like I raced an IM at the moment. I moved 3 trailer loads (a bit over 2 tonne) of gravel an average of 10m 1 shovel load at a time, all after 2:30 this afternoon.

I think tomorrow morning is going to feel worse, but I've been told the dam is under 15 degrees (very unusual up here), so the crew are heading out for a swim. Maybe some cold-water therapy will help the sore muscles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No swim this morning. Far too engrossed in last night's stage of the tour & didn't get to bed till after 1am.

I was right though. I'm aching all over now. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 min Zwift early doors. Then ran with Flipper at Jnr ParkRun ( she PB"d) . Might get out on MTB later if time allows.

Edited by FatPom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit more gravel work this morning, then a 4km bushwalk this afternoon. I really felt each uphill section. The legs were dead from walking back & forward with the extra weight yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No training for me today. 

Worked the start line of Sutherland to surf. 

Had s good chat with Crowie pre race before he knocked out a lazy 34.54 for the 11k. 

Not bad for an old bloke. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Farrk , that's motoring! I used to love watching Crowie run, for a 'big guy' he made it look effortless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

80 min run (let’s call it a shuffle/ walk) keeping the HR under control.  Fitness is a long long way away, but it’s a start.  Rode my bike yesterday too

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went swimming, 2.2km. Never been an efficient swimmer so am going back to basics to see if I can reform my swim and become more efficient and comfortable in the water 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

60' on the treadmill. Tried to simulate the high HR/low pace that seems to happen st the end of a 70.3 by keeping the air con off. Ended up holding a high Z3 and low Z4 and about 5:55-6:00/km. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KieranR said:

Went swimming, 2.2km. Never been an efficient swimmer so am going back to basics to see if I can reform my swim and become more efficient and comfortable in the water 

Im just starting back from 4 months off so am interested in how you approach this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think I'm in a bit of a post DNF funk.  I've done a couple of 5km run sessions and a ParkRun on the weekend (slow). A few short turbo sessions but I just feel knackered all the time.

Saw the physio today, she's happy with the injury recovery and the progress on the hip, so it's not like that's hampering me. I just seem to have lost my 'snap'.  Hopped on the turbo today and climbed off after 6 mins, it just wasn't there.

Just feels like the lazier I am, the harder the re-set button will be push again. :(

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pieman said:

Im just starting back from 4 months off so am interested in how you approach this

Swim smooth program, going back to the very start.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KieranR said:

Swim smooth program, going back to the very start.

Good thinking.. I have one of those from their dvd.. might try it as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FatPom said:

Think I'm in a bit of a post DNF funk.  I've done a couple of 5km run sessions and a ParkRun on the weekend (slow). A few short turbo sessions but I just feel knackered all the time.

Saw the physio today, she's happy with the injury recovery and the progress on the hip, so it's not like that's hampering me. I just seem to have lost my 'snap'.  Hopped on the turbo today and climbed off after 6 mins, it just wasn't there.

Just feels like the lazier I am, the harder the re-set button will be push again. :(

Maybe a couple of days complete rest, massage & jnr parkrun with Flipper will help reset your mojo. You'll have fun with her, you can cheer on other runners & they'll love you for being supportive. That'll put a smile on your dial

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today, I not only rode the whole way to work in the big ring, I also got out of the saddle on the hills.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, FatPom said:

Think I'm in a bit of a post DNF funk.  I've done a couple of 5km run sessions and a ParkRun on the weekend (slow). A few short turbo sessions but I just feel knackered all the time.

Saw the physio today, she's happy with the injury recovery and the progress on the hip, so it's not like that's hampering me. I just seem to have lost my 'snap'.  Hopped on the turbo today and climbed off after 6 mins, it just wasn't there.

Just feels like the lazier I am, the harder the re-set button will be push again. :(

I feel ya. But don't force it. If you force it you'll hate it and that will exacerbate the cycle. Remember it's just a hobby, slob off or just go for a walk or do whatever you fancy and see it as a positive to be able to just chill without a particular program to follow. 

It's never that hard to start again, you've done it before!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, monkie said:

I feel ya. But don't force it. If you force it you'll hate it and that will exacerbate the cycle. Remember it's just a hobby, slob off or just go for a walk or do whatever you fancy and see it as a positive to be able to just chill without a particular program to follow. 

It's never that hard to start again, you've done it before!

Yeah cheers mate, I need to remember that.  probably trying too hard to erase my DNF from the memory banks.

BTW, I was in wave B for my start at Race to the Stones, looked over and saw a ginger haired lady whom, according to her bib was called 'Melanie'. I asked her if she knew you and she said 'no'  and gave me the look that guys get at the bar when they've struck out. :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, FatPom said:

Yeah cheers mate, I need to remember that.  probably trying too hard to erase my DNF from the memory banks.

BTW, I was in wave B for my start at Race to the Stones, looked over and saw a ginger haired lady whom, according to her bib was called 'Melanie'. I asked her if she knew you and she said 'no'  and gave me the look that guys get at the bar when they've struck out. :lol:

Ah! Looks like a DNS for her looking at the results. I'll shoot her a note 😞

I blew up in another workout today, was aiming for 1:50 Z2 then 40 @ 4/k managed 1:50 and 30 then broke. Finished the last 10 mins at 6/k. I am now sore.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dusted off the TT and put it on the trainer after riding the roadie on the trainer for too long. Did 15' at 200W, 15' at 205W, 15' at 220W and then 15' at 240W. No rest between, just built straight into the next one. Wanted to do a quick ROTB but the babies had woken for their 8pm feed. 

Forgot how much different the TT bike feels compared to the roadie. Hoping to get out to Muzz on Sunday and test out my new disc. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started an f45 8 week challenge. First week, but already feeling awesome. Just have done the strength/weights stuff so far but will do cardio tomorrow. Just trying to kick start the weight loss so I can run without pain again!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

60 mins @3:58/km. 😥 The last 700m is all uphill and I thought I was gonna hurl right outside the Art Gallery of NSW. That would have been lovely for the tourists.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bits n pieces in the week but I just can’t get going. Decided to have guilt free nuffink day today.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2x Mt Gravatt this morning with a friend on his MTB. It's actually a really nice ride when you're not trying to achieve anything other than conversation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried to go for a run but knees are too sore... Thinking about pulling the pin on Sydney marathon and switching down to the half or even the 10k as I just haven't been able to find the consistency for long stuff with the amount of travel I'm doing at the moment and I don't want to go into it under-prepared or worse over-do the training and pick up an injury. 

Take stock and focus on Brighton in the UK next year is probably a good plan.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2500m swim & 100K ride yesterday, then 1.5hr run today......on the build to Busso!

Forgot how dog tired you get from IM training.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well my nuffink day has turned into a nuffink weekend.  Had some hip and back trouble overnight but mostly just seem to be in a bit of a hole.

Took Flipper out for breakfast, bought a bike magazine for the first time in I don’t know how long, settled into a cafe and did some reading.

We are off on a holiday next Saturday for a week of surfing, MTB and trail. Hoping to ‘re-set’ then.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Well my nuffink day has turned into a nuffink weekend.  Had some hip and back trouble overnight but mostly just seem to be in a bit of a hole.

Took Flipper out for breakfast, bought a bike magazine for the first time in I don’t know how long, settled into a cafe and did some reading.

We are off on a holiday next Saturday for a week of surfing, MTB and trail. Hoping to ‘re-set’ then.

A holiday will be fantastic, specially if youre doing some fun stuff like catching waves.

Dont beat yourself up FP, your mojo will return .... it has to if you want to stay ahead of Flipper 😉

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...