prizna

What training did you do today...

2 hours ago, FatPom said:

Nothing cos I’m sick 😢  I have a wicked sore throat just as I take a weeks leave, boo. However, the bigger problem is I’ve had my allergy flare up and am absolutely covered in rash on my arms and part of my face.

It all started when I became allergic to surgical adhesives and latex during one of my operations. I had six weeks of steroid therapy to try an arrest it. It was absolute agony.

A couple of week’s ago I was working on the car with what I thought were nitrile gloves but were latex, that started a small reaction. Then last week, I had to do a RBS site visit to oversee a tech swap and it was very sunny. Sometimes heat will kick it off.  I didn’t feel well at the visit and a day later the rash spread and since then it’s just gotten worse.

I have some steroid tablets to take but it’s a matter of not scratching and waiting.  I feel really down right now and just when I need to slam in some big Kms.

bah humbug :(

That sucks FP!

We all know a new bike solves absolutely everything but this time, as a one off, I suggest some retail therapy in the shape of walking poles for your trail race coming up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 28/05/2019 at 5:55 PM, FatPom said:

I have some steroid tablets to take but it’s a matter of not scratching and waiting.  I feel really down right now and just when I need to slam in some big Kms.

bah humbug :(

Sounds grim mate. Can you get out to walk at all? I find it's still much better than nothing and keeps the steps ticking over :)

I did 90mins from Adelaide airport today, Z2 which for some reason was down at 5:03! Yesterday it was 6:04. Bodies are weird.

20 minutes ago, monkie said:

Sounds grim mate. Can you get out to walk at all? I find it's still much better than nothing and keeps the steps ticking over :)

I did 90mins from Adelaide airport today, Z2 which for some reason was down at 5:03! Yesterday it was 6:04. Bodies are weird.

Yeah did some walking thanks mate.  It’s not settling but not getting worse.

Managed a very easy run today as my throat is a lot better.

• Like 2

Planning on a swim at the dam at sunrise tomorrow. Anyone interested? The water should actually feel warm. 

brrrrrrrrrrrrr. :)

• Confused 1

I haven’t exercised for over a week now. Starting tomorrow with a game of golf then gym. 

Special day tomorrow. 

FM

2 x Yassos in Perth. Managed to hit 2:47 and then 2:46. Took a wrong turning through so instead of Kings Park I ended up running along a railway line in Perth!

• Like 1

Just had my first surf in a long time !

always at the beach but pushing my youngest into them etc 

but my back finally feels right after a few months of pain some times to the point of being in tears .

so happy  ! It’s ment to be building swell as well !

• Like 2

14km Run was meant to be tempo but turned into very easy, I just had zero energy. I think the combo of this sore throat and allergy really knocked me about :(

Total Run Kms for this week is only 65. First ultra only 3wks away.   Uggh help me Jeebus

Edited by FatPom
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

14km Run was meant to be tempo but turned into very easy, I just had zero energy. I think the combo of this sore throat and allergy really knocked me about :(

Total Run Kms for this week is only 65. First ultra only 3wks away.   Uggh help me Jeebus

Chin up FP, that 14k is still 14k in your legs. Make the most of getting well & being sensible.    Control the controllable 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

First ultra

How long? 

Hmm, should have listened to my body more closely yesterday.   Ran/walked mixed trail today but just couldn't get my breathing under control, kept running out of gas and then started to get bad hip pain.  Had to walk the last flat 4km home and walked loads more than that all up.  25km in 3hrs, eek! I suppose it counts as 'time on feet'.

I think this allergy thing has hit me much more than I realised. :(

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FatPom said:

Hmm, should have listened to my body more closely yesterday.   Ran/walked mixed trail today but just couldn't get my breathing under control, kept running out of gas and then started to get bad hip pain.  Had to walk the last flat 4km home and walked loads more than that all up.  25km in 3hrs, eek! I suppose it counts as 'time on feet'.

Would it be better to walk until youre well enough to run? 

Edit to add - this is a genuine question, not being a smart Alec

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Would it be better to walk until youre well enough to run? 

Edit to add - this is a genuine question, not being a smart Alec

That thought occurred to me about 2hrs too late :lol:

Plan is to take it really easy the next week or so and make a call next week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, KieranR said:

I zwiftes for an hour today

How did it feel?

On ‎1‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 6:27 PM, FatPom said:

I'm not the best person to be advising anyone on this stuff at the moment, but if you've previously been doing a bit of training and are prepared to take it easy in the event, then I think you'll be fine.

On ‎2‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 8:01 PM, FatPom said:

Plan is to take it really easy the next week or so and make a call next week.

Good call.  Listen to your body and stay safe!

Good luck with it!

• Like 1

On 02/06/2019 at 7:32 PM, FatPom said:

Hows your week been? Feeling any better?

I've started doing TRX workouts.

I have also discovered I am really shit at TRX/CORE

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Peter said:

I've started doing TRX workouts.

I have also discovered I am really shit at TRX/CORE

Keep at it because the value of core strength cannot be underestimated.

My new coach has us do 20 min core workout before every 1 hour swim set we do. 

Anyone who says they don't have time is making excuses or has their priorities wrong. For me, a 20 min core, 60 min swim and the 40 min travel time I am only away from the family for 75 mins...

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, pieman said:

Keep at it because the value of core strength cannot be underestimated.

My new coach has us do 20 min core workout before every 1 hour swim set we do. 

Anyone who says they don't have time is making excuses or has their priorities wrong. For me, a 20 min core, 60 min swim and the 40 min travel time I am only away from the family for 75 mins...

Your maths doesn't check out there.

1 minute ago, AA7 said:

Your maths doesn't check out there.

I think that was the joke (follow on from other thread about tine management)

8 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

I think that was the joke (follow on from other thread about tine management)

Ah, of course. I should pay more attention. I've been too busy training to read Trannies. 

41 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Ah, of course. I should pay more attention. I've been too busy training to read Trannies. 

It's the off season - relax... 😋

3 minutes ago, BogFrog said:

It's the off season - relax... 😋

Just had my month off, back to it.

29 minutes ago, AA7 said:

Just had my month off, back to it.

Fair enough - but you should probably take October off too - wouldn't want to overdo it

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BogFrog said:

Fair enough - but you should probably take October off too - wouldn't want to overdo it

#showdown

On 04/06/2019 at 4:28 PM, Katz said:

How did it feel?

It was ok, but hurty as I expected

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BogFrog said:

It's the only chance I have! 😂

I've never beaten you, remember?

12 hours ago, BogFrog said:

It's the only chance I have! 😂

AA7 is gone. Cranky has gotten into her head the same as Jan with Sanders. :)

Swim. River. 

1 deg air temp, "feels like" of minus 1

Water temp 11. 

Felt cold. Very very cold. 

Did 1k

Edited by Turts
Edit for distance
  • Like 1

I had my first winter swim in memory.

2k round shark island. 

14 degrees out, still 20 degrees in. 

090268F1-1F2C-4DD1-8A93-EAE8B0FF0722.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ex-Hasbeen said:

AA7 is gone. Cranky has gotten into her head the same as Jan with Sanders. :)

Only as good as your last race

IMG_20190608_123954.png

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, AA7 said:

I've never beaten you, remember?

Ha! Injured and sick while i was in fine fettle...

Maybe I just shouldn't show up just to keep my streak alive :tongue_smilie:

Trial Bay Triathlon bike course in pissing rain and fog at 16 deg. Makes Mt Cootha look like a little girls tea party 😉

16 deg is actually 1 deg above my 'can ride in summer gear' temp.

Down here with friends for the running festival....but I'm just riding...and fishing....and drinking

Two out of three completed 🙊

Edited by ComfortablyNumb

On 07/06/2019 at 2:14 AM, Surfer said:

Hows your week been? Feeling any better?

It’s been very frustrating Surfer. Ran an easy 10km @5.30 pace on Tues, no issue. Did a 30min turbo Wed no issue. Then went to run 10km Thurs and had to pull the pin at 7.5km as that hip pain I had way earlier in the year came back. It wasn’t excruciating but I’m backing out at the first sign of anything right now.

Ive had some different steroid tabs prescribed for my allergy and that has helped heaps. Still a bit run down though.

I’m in Somt again, plan today was to do a last big run followed by a shorter one tomorrow. I’ve changed my mind now. I think my only option is to to a little and often with a 25km thrown in sometime in the next two weeks. It’s not like I will get any fitter in that time.

Not ideal but IMO it’s my only chance of salvaging a start in two weeks time. Decided to completely rest today.

Edited by FatPom
  • Like 1

The Blue Mountains Hipster Coffee Run. 11k in total. Two stops for coffee, and one hell of an interesting downhill between East Blaxland and Emu Heights :crazy:

4 hours ago, FatPom said:

It’s been very frustrating Surfer. Ran an easy 10km @5.30 pace on Tues, no issue. Did a 30min turbo Wed no issue. Then went to run 10km Thurs and had to pull the pin at 7.5km as that hip pain I had way earlier in the year came back. It wasn’t excruciating but I’m backing out at the first sign of anything right now.

Ive had some different steroid tabs prescribed for my allergy and that has helped heaps. Still a bit run down though.

I’m in Somt again, plan today was to do a last big run followed by a shorter one tomorrow. I’ve changed my mind now. I think my only option is to to a little and often with a 25km thrown in sometime in the next two weeks. It’s not like I will get any fitter in that time.

Not ideal but IMO it’s my only chance of salvaging a start in two weeks time. Decided to completely rest today.

Plan B seems like a good option, you gotta take care & be flexible which is what youre doing. Glad to hear the treatment for your allergies is kicking in 

• Like 1

Back at it for a week after a break. Trying to get the body used to some sort of routine. 

47 weeks until port right?

On 08/06/2019 at 3:26 PM, ComfortablyNumb said:

Trial Bay Triathlon bike course in pissing rain and fog at 16 deg. Makes Mt Cootha look like a little girls tea party 😉

16 deg is actually 1 deg above my 'can ride in summer gear' temp.

Down here with friends for the running festival....but I'm just riding...and fishing....and drinking

Two out of three completed 🙊

Repeated without the rain, but with the worst hangover I've had in years.  

Now three out of three completed, bagged a nice flattie on fly & christened my new 8 weight outfit.

Mineral water tonight :blush:

FlyFlattie[1].jpg

26km test run. 2hrs44. Hip started playing up at 20km,it seems much worse running downhill.  Going to back right off now for two weeks, plenty of strength/core stuff at the gym.

I might be able to salvage my race but it’s hard to imagine my sub 13hr goal being possible now.  :(

• Like 2

4 hour Zwift ride... After which the missus decides to tell me she has a long list of jobs for me to do.... And you know you just have suck it up and do it otherwise you will never hear the end of it lol

Thank God I had some cans of Monster in the pantry 😉

2 minutes ago, more said:

4 hour Zwift ride... After which the missus decides to tell me she has a long list of jobs for me to do.... And you know you just have suck it up and do it otherwise you will never hear the end of it lol

Thank God I had some cans of Monster in the pantry 😉

That’s a good effort on Zwift mate.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FatPom said:

That’s a good effort on Zwift mate.

Yeah thanks mate, wasn't really planning on it but got in a groove, 1,600m elevation gain... Was pretty stoked, was a good session 👍

Edited by more

1 hour ago, FatPom said:

26km test run. 2hrs44. Hip started playing up at 20km,it seems much worse running downhill.  Going to back right off now for two weeks, plenty of strength/core stuff at the gym.

I might be able to salvage my race but it’s hard to imagine my sub 13hr goal being possible now.  :(

FP you could have a new goal eg finish in good shape, enjoy the day etc etc  ... 

• Like 2