prizna

What training did you do today...

10 hours ago, roxii said:

I swam around shark island this morning.

beautiful morning in the water in Sydney. 

Swapped off the front with IM legend Glenn Gorrick 

Organised swim......? You know why they call it Shark Island!!!

31 minutes ago, IronmanFoz said:

Organised swim......? You know why they call it Shark Island!!!

Yeah tri club swim. 

Haven’t seen a shark there yet. Plenty of fish and a turtle but no sharks.

anzac day 7.30 for the next one 

• Like 2

Finally went out for a ride but had to cut it short at about 60 due to a noisy "pedal" getting worse....

(the little globs on the right are glue because I had a little transparent decal there to cut down of "shoe scuff")

IMG_6020.jpg

Edited by trifun
  • Confused 1

Youre putting down some very serious watts !

Seriously - thats scarey to think of what couldve been a nasty crash. Good job you stopped & didnt ignore it

• Like 1

My rib had healed enough to drive home. Then I mustered up enough strength to watch Mrs FP mow the lawn. :wink3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 19/04/2019 at 5:19 PM, FatPom said:

haven’t run with poles yet and

I'd start giving poles a try. To be effective you have to be comfortable using them (And not). 

Many folks grab them for a race for the first time and use more effort than they save. 

UTMB and CCC will see even a lot of top folks using them.  When you are fast hiking (as you will be) they can be very very useful.  And if you're practised  stowing them (or running with them in your hand), you won't lose any time

• Like 2

2.5km this morning with a group before sunrise. I enjoyed my first "dark" swim of the year.

• Like 2

Since it wasn’t raining this year, attending my local dawn service instead of doing Mt Coot-tha repeats wasn’t that hard a decision.

Derby MTB. This place is great. 

Come back to house for lunch. Today lunch was at a pub. 

Also trails some of the best I have ever ridden. Another day tomorrow as well 

• Like 1

5am swim squad

Drive from Melb to West Wyalong (stopover on way to Armidale for uni)

1.45hr ergo in the motel room with 2x30min at steady aerobic (300w)

Cooked after yesterday’s 7hr brick incl. 4 flat tyres...

• Like 2

Monday 22 April to Thursday 25 April - zippo. Tomorrow, Sat, Sunday - zippo. Then a quick swim on Monday and Friday next week and a short brick on Wednesday. That should ensure this infection has the best chance of being gone (it has started going now).

FM

• Like 1

Stikman and I trained for a post-IM binge-fest.

20190425 AYCE.jpg

20190425 Dessert.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Tooling along, getting the swim KMs in and keeping the bike and run ticking over. CTL flatlining at around 113 before cutting back seriously next week.

Race check ride on Saturday... I'll be the dweeb on a training ride with the disc wheel and aero helmet on :D

• Like 1

12 hours ago, lachie94 said:

Drive from Melb to West Wyalong (stopover on way to Armidale for uni)

Are you coming up here for external school Lachie, or going to be living here & going to UNE?

Quiet this week, dropped the bike off for its pre-race service on Monday. Swam Tuesday, but I am just about to drop off the +1 to work, so I will drop him off and then go for a run on the bay run, might have to put the roadie on the trainer, get the TT back next week.

1 hour ago, ComfortablyNumb said:

Are you coming up here for external school Lachie, or going to be living here & going to UNE?

Just up for Anatomy and Physiology intensive schools, home next Friday 

• Like 1

Last session of any size today doing a race check. Thanks to Foz for showing me that there are good cycling roads in Sydney! 

4 hours on the bike (plus a blown tyre which only took me 8 minutes to change, a vast improvement on before) and then a 40 minute run at race pace.

Feeling good, serious taper time now.

• Like 6

Over the past 5 months, I had been quietly training for my first stand alone marathon. Have done 4 IM and 3 ultras, but never a stand-alone. 

So lots of seriously wet “wet season” running, dark starts (with support from Nick as my security),  and many lonely hours. Three weeks ago I had to make the decision to pull back to the half marathon, as my hammy didn’t want to play the game. That decision was hard enough. With my physio and coach we reset, with a goal of a substantial PB (currently 1:45:29 from 2011).

Today started perfectly, on track for 11km. Then the wheels fell off....massively. Hammy lost power, tummy was ugh. I am most shattered and disappointed about today. At the moment the effort just doesn’t seem worth it.  And we finally had a break in the rain, but it decided to rain in and off, so high humidity to add to the fun.  

Ended up with 1.54.33.....not acceptable. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I was hoping to do the Bondi Ocean swim today but they cancelled it yesterday due to the impending forecast.

But as you can see by the photo today turned out almost perfect. 

This would have been the last ocean swim for the season in Sydney .

Instead I’ve had a sleep in and a vanilla slice :lol: 

29823F2C-2402-43E0-B7DD-F85B8841609C.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, skel said:

Over the past 5 months, I had been quietly training for my first stand alone marathon. Have done 4 IM and 3 ultras, but never a stand-alone. 

So lots of seriously wet “wet season” running, dark starts (with support from Nick as my security),  and many lonely hours. Three weeks ago I had to make the decision to pull back to the half marathon, as my hammy didn’t want to play the game. That decision was hard enough. With my physio and coach we reset, with a goal of a substantial PB (currently 1:45:29 from 2011).

Today started perfectly, on track for 11km. Then the wheels fell off....massively. Hammy lost power, tummy was ugh. I am most shattered and disappointed about today. At the moment the effort just doesn’t seem worth it.  And we finally had a break in the rain, but it decided to rain in and off, so high humidity to add to the fun.  

Bugger Skel but you'll come back. Chin up kiddo :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skel said:

Sorry to hear that Skel. It totally sucks when you've trained so hard for something and the body gives out just ay the wrong time. I feel for you.

But...  it was not all in vain. Your body has done the work and will remember it when you are able to get back to full training. You are fitter and stronger, apart from the hammy. Fingers crossed you can sort it out quickly.

• Like 2

First attempt at a "run" since Jan. 

6km of run/walk. 

UTA100 in 3 weeks. 

What could possibly go wrong. 😎

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, roxii said:

I was hoping to do the Bondi Ocean swim today but they cancelled it yesterday due to the impending forecast.

47 minutes ago, roxii said:

Does this mean there were double the vanilla slices? :yes:

57 minutes ago, Turts said:

Does this mean there were double the vanilla slices? :yes:

Not yet, but it’s not afternoon tea time yet. :lol:

Roxii you are becoming quite the ocean man ....

next season south coast swims! forgett the sewer infested Bondi and east swims or the wanker northern beaches ones 

come down to us backward folk and swim in the crystal clear waters😂

Finished the week off with the UQ Twilight half this evening - went 1.33.59 so a nice surprise especially after a big week.  315km on the bike and 70k of running including a 132/4k brick yesterday and 2k swim this morning.  Nearly 10 mins quicker than a year ago and still doing virtually no speed work so the result of lots of strength/endurance running.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, roxii said:

I'm surprised by that. I did it in 2009, the year there was a cold current in and it was 14-15°. The lifeguards were pulling people out of the water with hypothermia - it was featured on Bondi Rescue. What was the forecast??

Yesteday was 1:50 in Z2 @ 5:30s then 40 mins in the ocean pootling around...

Thoughts have immediately switched from "Have I done enough?" to "Have I done too much?"

Time for an extremely easy week this week.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, roxii said:

Does triathlon and/or WTC own ocean swimming now :lol: I've seen bigger swell at silver beach 

Yesterday was a 57km road race around the Barossa Valley after a 2nd & 3rd place in my last two races. I thought it was going to be my day to attack and have a crack for the win. The course was perfect for me a couple of 5min climbs and plenty of long power climbs, no crazy steep down hills & a 4km lumpy down hill run to the finish.

It was a great plan until all the crafty old bastards worked against me all race. I had two big cracks trying to solo off the front but couldn't get them to stick. Chased another guy down who put 400m on the peleton. Bridged across, took a turn and said lets work together to get away. He sat on and refused to pull at turn. I eventually sat up got back into peleton.

Got rolled in a spring finish. Waked away with 7th & just out the prize money.

Lesson learnt & back on Zwif this morning.

• Like 2

I didn't meditate this morning or ever. Maybe that's why I'm a huge grump. 

Thread is back on track and gone are some posts. 

• Like 1

Did a track session last night.  I still haven’t got out of bed.  Not sure2 I can walk. 

65432 with 2min rest between.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FatPom said:

15km easy run. 5.35 pace.  One more run this week then I have a trail marathon race on Saturday.

https://theomm.com/omm-festival/

11am start??😂 I guess you don't have to worry about running in the heat of the day!  Have fun.

2 minutes ago, truck said:

11am start??😂 I guess you don't have to worry about running in the heat of the day!  Have fun.

No but it's a freakin 3hr drive home.

4 minutes ago, truck said:

Mrs Monkie was so confused by the London Marathon starting at 1010... I only really got into this travelling a long way malarky since arriving in Oz so to her mind there was some kind of rule about races starting around 7am!

7 hours ago, monkie said:

Mrs Monkie was so confused by the London Marathon starting at 1010... I only really got into this travelling a long way malarky since arriving in Oz so to her mind there was some kind of rule about races starting around 7am!

I'd rather it started earlier, having said that,  last Friday I still needed to de-ice the car before work.

Thinking about it, I suspect the late start is to allow folks to drive there Sat morning and set up camp etc. There is a lot going on at the festival all weekend.

I'm driving up from Newbury Friday night and staying in a Premier Inn, which is better than camping but only very slightly. :lol:

Edited by FatPom

This one is more of a question to all out there around training - 

On Monday night I did Tour of Watopia Stage 1 felt good all the way was able to average 2.2 w/kg over the 52 minute event.  Now to tonight for Stage 2 i could barely maintain 1.9 w/kg over the 1:08 event.  It literally felt like I was trying to ride in cement the whole time.

I have a dumb smart trainer, so no erg mode or controlling from zwift, so basically a flat ride with no resistance change other than me going up and down in gears.  checked the trainer and the rugrats haven't messed with it at all.  

So my question is, has anyone experienced this before where they are just gassed from the start for no apparent reason at all?

I was good fr stages 1 2 3 but 4 I didn’t even finish in the top half of the field.  Racing the first 2 stages gassed me big time. 

I think it’s more we don’t race that hard otter. So when we do it hurts. 

Take solace that if there was a run off the Zwift session stage, you’d beat heaps  

17 minutes ago, Peter said:

I was good fr stages 1 2 3 but 4 I didn’t even finish in the top half of the field.  Racing the first 2 stages gassed me big time. 

I think it’s more we don’t race that hard otter. So when we do it hurts. 

Take solace that if there was a run off the Zwift session stage, you’d beat heaps  

Peter, this was more than just that it felt like.  I have done hard interval sessions on consecutive days and never experienced anything like this.  Any other time competitive juices flow and I can usually keep pace with the riders around me at 2-2.4 w/kg for a significant amount of time, but tonight I was toast from the drop of the gate.

7 hours ago, Stuie016 said:

Peter, this was more than just that it felt like.  I have done hard interval sessions on consecutive days and never experienced anything like this.  Any other time competitive juices flow and I can usually keep pace with the riders around me at 2-2.4 w/kg for a significant amount of time, but tonight I was toast from the drop of the gate.

Funny you mention this as I felt something similar yesterday. The first 30 mins felt like it was about 30 watts higher than indicated. I kept drifting back to 160 watts which felt tough, then in the second half I was holding 200 watts and it felt easy. I just out it down to needing to warm up?

Keep an eye on your health for the next couple of days. It could be the first sign of a flu/cold coming on.

8 hours ago, Stuie016 said:

So my question is, has anyone experienced this before where they are just gassed from the start for no apparent reason at all?

Yes. Often. About once every 4 or 5 weeks. You just have nothing (check my posts in this thread for examples of me moaning about it). It's just nature. Your body is not a machine, it has ups and downs. Don't stress about individual sessions, the trend is what matters :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, monkie said:

Yes. Often. About once every 4 or 5 weeks. You just have nothing (check my posts in this thread for examples of me moaning about it). It's just nature. Your body is not a machine, it has ups and downs. Don't stress about individual sessions, the trend is what matters :)

I find I feel better and do better times/efforts in training around the full moon.

My best Ironman was on a full moon.  And before anyone says, I finished in daylight so nothing to do with seeing better. ;) 

2 hours ago, more said:

Funny you mention this as I felt something similar yesterday. The first 30 mins felt like it was about 30 watts higher than indicated. I kept drifting back to 160 watts which felt tough, then in the second half I was holding 200 watts and it felt easy. I just out it down to needing to warm up?

If I'm doing intervals on the trainer (when I haven't found the pins that I'd rather stick in my eyes) I always find the first interval really hard - even after a decent warm up.  It's probably that you need to remind your body what to do.  The conversation in my is interesting as I force myself to push through the first rep - the second rep feels a lot easier even though the HR might be the same or higher...

• Like 1